[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I play this game or work through my PS4 backlog? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

File: tales of berseria.jpg (37KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
tales of berseria.jpg
37KB, 460x215px
Should I play this game or work through my PS4 backlog? What are /v/s thoughts on it? If my favorite Tales was Abyss do you think I'll be a fan?
>>
>>387609890
PLAY IT. It has /ss/
>>
>>387609890
Yes, there's no /ss/, don't listen to this deluded faggot projecting his autism over a game. >>387610147
>>
It's probably my least favorite Tales. But then again, I didn't like Abyss much either, so maybe you'll like it.
>>
>>387609890

It's a pretty good game, but it's probably better if you walk into it with no expectations. It's not GOAT status like some autists say, but it's a satisfying jrpg with a decent story/characters which hits all the jrpg spots that most games of late have missed.
>>
>>387610358
>decent story/characters
>decent
>>
>>387609890
Shit Tales sadly

Polished Zestiria which still makes it crap

Also, wasn't there a Tales festival like a momth ago? Did they really not announce any new game?
>>
It's a good game but /v/'s opinion on tales games is very split so you're not going to get a consistent answer here.
>>
>>387609890
it's a good game
my favorite tales game yet
>>
>>387609890
Not worth it unless its 20 or less, the cast alone can't save the brain dead combat and shit enviroments.
>>
>>387609890
Censored garbage. Do yourself a favor and place it into the trash where it belongs.
>>
>>387609890
It's just another Tales game. Cast is better than average, but the gameplay is ass even on higher difficulties.
>>
File: vesperia labyrinth of memories.png (172KB, 800x867px) Image search: [Google]
vesperia labyrinth of memories.png
172KB, 800x867px
>Spend 6(six) hours in the labyrinth of memories dungeon
>Only got 1 fake gald
Why is this RNG shit allowed?
>>
File: 1478548420883.jpg (718KB, 800x869px) Image search: [Google]
1478548420883.jpg
718KB, 800x869px
>>387611418
Combat system is great unless you're a literal autist, cast is the best out of any JRPG.
>>
>>387612426
It's pretty mediocre compared to past Tales battle systems. Even Hearts R was more enjoyable.
>>
File: 1501643371301.png (173KB, 308x326px) Image search: [Google]
1501643371301.png
173KB, 308x326px
>>387609890
I really fookin want this game. But it was just on sale a while ago for like $30. I know it wont go on sale again for a long ass time... Is it worth $50?
>>
>>387612919
You already waited this long. Just wait for it to go on sale again. It'll be cheap again before the end of the year like every Tales game.
>>
>>387610617
>Polished Zestiria which still makes it crap
I actually liked Zestiria more. Berseria's battle system felt like a direct downgrade.
>>
Tips on maining Magilou?
>>
>>387609890

I played about 15 hours, Story looks fun. but the gameplay is the worst thing in the world.

Ultimately i had just started Persona5, so i just left it there.
>>
>>387614505

switch to her when there's spellcasters in the enemy group, pop her special move and turn their magic into pure rape
>that one Dire Foe that shows up with caster minions and can be melted in a blink because Magilou can unleash a maelstrom of energies absorbing their spells
>>
>>387614913
>switch to her, engage Spell Absorber
That is nice, but maining?
>>
>>387614976
Just everyone, they're all fun.
>>
>>387615126
Not really. Eizen, Rokurou, and Eleanor are kind of boring. Velvet is okay for mindless yet gratifying RIP AND TEAR.
>>
>>387615260
I think they're all fun to play except or Eleanor which I don't use much.
>>
File: 482671833126.png (95KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
482671833126.png
95KB, 250x250px
I like the EX dungeon / Heavenly Steppes and the time-limit concept.

Also:
>Because I'm furkin' awesome
>>
>>387609890
It was my first Tales but I liked it. ARPGs usually feel like unbalanced messes to me so I didn't mind the gameplay much. Absolutely loved the cast and story. Probably the best inter-party banter I've seen since Nier.
>>
Alright thanks guys, just pirated this bad boy and about to it a start.
>>
This game is one year old.
>>
>>387617170
Don't forget to activate any costume DLCs (menu > items), if you're inclined to see them in pirate or im@s kit.
>>
File: masterpiece.jpg (154KB, 1060x1500px) Image search: [Google]
masterpiece.jpg
154KB, 1060x1500px
>>387617170
>pirated
Someone may be triggered right now, but I'm actually glad you did it, because the ending is acomplete disappointment.
>>
>>387609890
it ok but nothing ground breaking. thats typical for tales games now.
>>
File: 1500877534673.png (51KB, 496x255px) Image search: [Google]
1500877534673.png
51KB, 496x255px
>>387616374
>>
File: 21.png (870KB, 2110x3000px) Image search: [Google]
21.png
870KB, 2110x3000px
>>387610617
The sad thing is the battle system confuses most people, and frustrates others. Even when someone knows how it works, it doesn't change the fact that they do not have enough orbs for their desired actions.
>>
File: 1482527980044.png (4MB, 2226x1654px) Image search: [Google]
1482527980044.png
4MB, 2226x1654px
I'm in love with a video game character.
>>
The DLC costumes are very poorly made
>>
>>387619945
They're all right, just absurdly out of character. Kind of doesn't go with the grimdark the story tries to be most of the time.
>>
File: this smile was not protected.png (258KB, 744x768px) Image search: [Google]
this smile was not protected.png
258KB, 744x768px
>>387609890
This is the best Tales to date. The lack of budget shows in show areas but what's there is solid.

Also, Velvet is perfect.
>>
>>387620082
They all seem really cheap and shitty to me like they took an hour to make.
>>
>>387619703
Eizen>Velvet>Magilou>Rokurou=Eleanor=Phi
>>
>>387609890
If you like Abyss you'll probably like Berseria a lot, the main party are all atypical main characters and the story is very character driven.
>>
File: 1499297440895.jpg (224KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1499297440895.jpg
224KB, 1920x1080px
>>387620543
Phi>Eizen=Velvet>Rokurou>Magilou

But I digress, because I love all of them.
>>
Bought the game during the sale

Characters are better than in some of the past games. Same with the story and dialogue. Despite being a JRPG, it hasn't quite gone full weeb like some nip games do. It's tropey and cliched, but it all works naturally instead of making your skin crawl with every other line or overdramatic idiosyncratic behavior.

Dungeons/caves are pretty typical. Some branching paths to explore for items but the puzzles involved doesn't take a brain surgeon to get through.

I've only ever played Symphonia and Abyss, but the gameplay here is different. There's less strategy or care involved, it's all button spamming. I recall Abyss and Symphonia needing to chain attacks and combos carefully to do real damage or get that combo hit up, but here it's button spamming. I have yet to figure out how combos flow or if flow even matters. I'm playing on Hard mode and haven't needed to cook or heal after battles because my entire party comes out with full health every time.
>>
>>387609890
It's the best from the current batch of Tales right now, though that's not saying much since the only recent Tales are Berseria and Zestiria.
>>
>>387621906
>full weeb like some nip games
I don't think you should use words you don't quite understand.
>>
man i got this and as my first tales games i so do not understand the combat.

wtf is a hidden art - is it an effect that has a low chance of proccing or what?
>>
>>387625039
Martial arte: what it sounds like
Hidden arte: super-special (sort-of magic infused) martial arte
Malak arte: magic spell
>>
>>387625039
to add on to this, i can hit buttons, i can win fights - but it all feels kinda random as soon as i enter velvets r2 mode, like - there seems to be no consistency with what attacks she uses even when im using the same button.
>>
File: 1500343928993.gif (2MB, 498x281px) Image search: [Google]
1500343928993.gif
2MB, 498x281px
>>387625337
Velvet is really fun to play with all the flashy moves she got but try playing other champions too, it may feel like they're useless when you're not good at them in higher difficulties but once you get a grasp of it it's fun. Then you can switch blast between characters and it makes the battles more dynamic.
>>
>>387625337
Look at the Artes menu for Velvet, the Break Soul / Mystic Artes subsection. She has special, automatic moves when in Therion mode, depending on the type of creature she attacks.
Note that she also gets specific bonuses versus the enemy she's attacking. (It's part of why she is rather OP, but that's a different topic.)
>>
>>387625889
I've never played a tales game, so admittedly i have no idea what is normal or standard play for them.

Is it 'okay' to use a different character as a 'main', am i meant to use them all (Im very used to final fantasy for example and a party of 3/4 frequently used). Am i meant to switch between them all often?

Also, those souls (i think) which are work 30points of action basically, do you gain an extra one when stunning an enemy - is that correct?

It felt like i had to be careful not to use the r2 break thing (and give the enemy a soul) as then i had dick all AP to actually do any meaningful combat.
>>
>>387626164
oh and also, is the blocking and evading absolute aids or am i just not used to it?
>>
>>387619703

I don't understand what's the appeal of Velvet, she's a crude, overly emotional, and immoral pirate terrorist pedophile. What she did to poor Laphicet is straight up abuse and the fact that he became so attached to her is no doubt a sign of Stockholm's Syndrome. Velvet is a bad influence on Laphicet, and the fact that neither Rokurou nor Eizen does anything to guide Laphicet to a healthier mindset is just irresponsible of those two.

Maybe someone like Theresa is a little too much for little Laphicet, but an earnest and positive person like Eleanor makes a much better role model. Laphicet would be much better off with an onee-san like Eleanor than with someone as preoccupied with senseless vengeance as Velvet.
>>
>>387626164
1. Yes. As long as the gameplay is fun, it's "okay".
2. I believe any status effect, but Stun is the most useful. Try for that as much as possible.

With Velvet, your goal is to be Therionized as much as you can. Spam weaker attacks to get those sweet stuns, which fills up your Souls meter (the blue diamonds), which lets you go berserk (literally). After this, if she has enough enemies to "feed" on, she can keep going. The trick is building up momentum so she's RIP AND TEAR.
The worst scenario is when she can't fill up the soul meter, and she's ineffectually thwacking an enemy with her claw put away. Conversely, she's at her best "devouring" clusters of enemies.
>>
It's not the best, but it's not the worst. Fits in somewhere after Destiny, Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia.
>>
>>387626273
Later, you get a special perk ("ventite" or whatever) that gives you a bonus for blocking for one second. Also sidestepping supposedly has advantages, but I never bother. Learn to not be in front of an enemy's attack to begin with.
>>
>>387626661
okay, that sounds a lot like what i was aiming to do, but likely am not using an optimised combo yet to get my stuns rolling out rapidly.

Thanks for the clarification. There were times i was able to cleave shit, go therion, kill shit - come out (i think you come out automatically on a kill right?), pop right back in - rinse and repeat. That felt pretty good - pure RIP AND TEAR.

However, another time I wound up soul starved, and had 2 souls and couldnt get off a stun, so seemed to be in a lose / lose situation. I am still earlygame though - I only just met eizen (the unlucky pirate or w/e his name was), so im most certainly lacking skills.
>>
>>387626924
>ventite

shit yeah, ive been getting these but have zero idea wtf they are, if i activate them / slot them into gear or what? Or are they just passives - idk if theyre active on me, or i need to do something to make them good.

I remember seeing one where if i guarded for like 2 seconds i got a soul or something neat looking.
>>
How do I flow my combos? I feel like I'm just spamming attacks until I win.
>>
>>387626958
>>387627084
Take the time to go through all the characters' Artes, see what weaknesses they exploit (e.g. Fire element or Demihuman), and what statuses they can inflict. Go for cheaper ones to fill up the gauge, use some more powerful ones to finish them off.

Experiment to see which combos "flow" well together. Try to attack the enemy's weaknesses. Some of the artes are designed to be chained.
>>
>>387626924
well-timed sidesteps can get you souls i believe
>>387627060
they are passive
>>
>>387627379
Not the guy who asked how to make them flow, but yeah I made a few different strings, one low cost - one with a powerful start, one with a powerful end, one with good cleave. I do quite like the system.

I never dance between facebuttons tho, i just map a chain to A A A A etc, or B B B B, but have some specific prebaked combos specific to the enemy types in the area.

>>387627446
>they are passive

Thanks man, i had no idea and couldnt seem to find any explanation. A lot of the game feels like its assuming you#ve played tales games before (which is a semi fair assumption) so its a little confusing at times jumping in blind.
>>
>>387627631
I don't know about the rest of the franchise, but Berseria loves using its own obscure terminology.
>>
I just met eizen, and am on some green place on the way to open a gate.

Is the game gonna address why the fuck this little wizard kid that comes with me looks exactly like my dead brother laphicet?

Like - i dont think velv has even mentioned it, despite this #2 being identical. How long til this gets mentioned?
>>
>>387628364
Anon, your questions are valid, but many of them can be answered by just playing the game.
>>
>>387628452
I know - but how long til its mentioned?, as i feel this is something that velv should have freaked out immediately.
>>
>>387628635
Fine. A spoiler:
Somewhere before the ending of the game.
>>
>>387628635
she'll make a first sort of mention pretty soon
>>
>>387628635
By the time you find out, you'd wish the game was ending, or at least that was the case for me.
>>
>>387626470
>I don't understand what's the appeal of Velvet, she's a crude, overly emotional, and immoral pirate terrorist pedophile.
Minus terrorist pedophile part which isn't true that's exactly why I love her
>>
>need to spam moves to make them stronger
>have OCD so can't experiment with moves without maxing one out

Oh god this game.
>>
>>387619635
Berseria's battle system is dirt simple: check the enemy's weaknesses, assign artrs targeting all of the weknesses to a single button, then spam that button until the enemy's dead. Repeat as necessary,maybe block if you're about to get hit.
>>
>>387629301
They level up so slowly I don't see the point.
>>
>>387609890
AS SOMEONE WHO PLAYED THE SHIT OUT OF ABYSS BUT NO OTHER TALES

I felt it was very meh. 6-7/10. Stopped playing midway through

Combat was the worst. Depending on how much "action points" you have, you can either combo endlessly and make it a complete cakewalk or have to run around giving one poke at a time. The main character can self heal so you're almost unbeatable unless you fight monsters way more powerful than you.

Characters and story were decent.

I can't tell you how much of me not enjoying the game has to do with the fact that I'm >toooldforvideogames now. But it's definetly not as good as ToA
>>
>>387631071
>I can't tell you how much of me not enjoying the game has to do with the fact that I'm >toooldforvideogames now

I'm 29 and this looked like the only tales game i could go remotely neat, the rest all look like jrpgs for 14 year olds. This is edgy late teen shit - but at least some of the subject matter is somewhat mature.
>>
>>387609890
It's decent.
Characters are great, story is bland, combat is boring and easy in most settings, inventory and "dungeons"/environments are terrible
>>
>>387610147
>>387610253
what is /ss/?
>>
>>387631767
I will happily take Berseria's dungeons over original Innoncence's
>>
>>387621492
Where's Eleanor?
>>
PS4 backlog

if you SERIOUSLY want to play a tales game play symphonia/vesperia and ignore the rest of the series
>>
Which one is the hardest fight?
>Jude&Milla
> DarkTurtlez
>Ex Dungeon Final boss
>Final boss post Ex Dungeon
>>
>>387636351
probably dark turtlez since you literally cannot use items
>>
File: 318296.jpg (27KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
318296.jpg
27KB, 225x350px
The cutest.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.