[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At the risk of sounding like a shill, I can't help but notice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: acensionmemes.png (1MB, 1056x852px) Image search: [Google]
acensionmemes.png
1MB, 1056x852px
At the risk of sounding like a shill, I can't help but notice that /v/ is not talking about arguably the most important thing to happen to the WoW franchise ever.

I mean Project Ascension, a private server which features drop-on-death for gear, and being able to pick out any talents and abilities from any class in the game.

I've been playing since the launch of the server with item-drop, and it's been a blast, it's like all the good parts of WoW mixed with a whole different MMO with hardcore characteristics.

But this thing is completely under the radar. Devs aren't advertising it, the community seems esoteric, and overall, it's just not making any ripples on the internet, when you would think that a thing like this would be major.

Did /v/ try it?
>>
>>387599380
going to get closed within a day if it gains any traction so why bother
>>
I play blizzlike private servers, not too concerned with anything else.
>>
File: tfwnopreraidbis.png (257KB, 420x457px) Image search: [Google]
tfwnopreraidbis.png
257KB, 420x457px
>>387599452
Well I heard it got sued by Blizz already but that it didn't work. Seeing that they put a lot of years into devving this, I think the devs were smart enough to avoid the obvious pitfall of basing the server in a country where Blizz has no power.

Oh yeah, this thing also has random item enchants based on talents. You can stack some retardedly high bonuses if you're autistic.

>>387599504
Fair enough, I'm more wondering about the people who complain that they have an itch for WoW but that the other alternatives are not sating it.
>>
>>387599380
Do yoy drop your gear, og whats in your inventory and some gold? What about mounts and legendarys?
>>
>>387599638
Here's how it works: nearly everything other than your equipped bags can be dropped, regardless of rarity, whether it's equipped or in bags. Everything, regardless of rarity.

Mounts do not drop as this is on a patch where mounts are consumed on use and added to your mount collection.

All that said, you can insure your gear. This makes it so that you drop gold instead of the gearpiece which is insured. It's very expensive if your gear is good.

Oh yeah, and the server has FFA PVP where alliance can kill alliance and such.
>>
This isn't a big deal because WoW private servers are a dime a literal dozen, with all sorts of different gimmicks for the non-blizzlike servers.
>>
>>387599806
Can you actually name one that had itemdrop, custom classes, and that was properly scripted?

If there were any other, I wish I knew about them because this shit is mad fun.
>>
>>387599380
>abilities from every class
Sounds like there is a single cookie cutter build to rule them all. How is that addressed?
>>
No but I can link you a website where you can scroll through private servers by tags. You're wondering why this server isn't getting attention, it's because there's thousands available.
>>
>>387599380

Jiminy christmas what did they DO to the talent trees???
>>
>>387600014
Maybe it's because the server's too fresh, but it hasn't been discovered yet. You see a lot of Frostbrand Weapon cat form dudes using that meme for levelling, but for 60, there's a lot of diversity really. The random gear enchants help this further.

>>387600064
I was asking why it isn't getting more attention rhetorically. I know why this is, the server isn't being marketed, so it's normal that it's under the radar. Just looking for an excuse desu.

>>387600087
WotLK version talents, but atm the server tops at level 60. So you can take shit like Titan's grip, but you can't take abilities that are 60+ like spellsteal.
>>
Is there a point to pvp or is it just ganking? Full looting in pvp sounds nice in a vacuum but in every game I've ever played it with it it just leads to un fun risk averse behaviour and game ruining snowballing.
>>
>>387599380
Why this in a multiplayer game? People will always just use the strongest build because you're competing against others and they want to be the strongest too. If it were a singleplayer game you could use what build you want because the AI isn't a metagaming munchkin
>>
So, is this playable from EU without ludicrously high ping, or?
And where/how do I set it up?
>>
>>387600951
>it just leads to un fun risk averse behaviour and game ruining snowballing

It does lead to risk-averse bullshit, but it's pretty counterable in this version. You get shattering throw for bubbles, you can get people who vanish by AoE-ing.

Your concerns are entirely valid, but I feel the devs did a solid job of not making it horribly unfun.

>>387601117
It's not physically possible to create "strongest builds available" because you'd have to

1) Figure them out first (extremely hard, just download the skill/talent calculator and try)
2) Gear them up, which could take months/thousands of gold and people willing to run raids for you to sell you gear.

Balance of builds really isn't a problem on this server atm. Maybe this will go to shit in the future, but I do not see it happening anytime soon.

>>387601220
EU's good, probably even better. Just google project ascension wow, they have a simple guide for installing the client there.
>>
>>387601117
This is only valid if there's only one thing you're doing the game and it's always in the same circumstances.

I haven't played this particular game but in good mmos you'll have different builds for solo and small groups and small groups with different compositions and uncoordinated large groups and coordinated large groups of all different strategies and for fighting groups bringing different compositions and strategies. The idea of some 'best build' is reddit guide following brainlet shit.
>>
File: 321231.png (42KB, 278x364px) Image search: [Google]
321231.png
42KB, 278x364px
>>387599380
>Cat with two daggers with shaman weapon enchants and rouge poisons
>>
>>387601568
Shaman enchants and poisons don't stack though.
>>
>>387601568
cat has base 1.0 speed no matter what weapon you use so you'd want to use the slowest 2h you could find. You can't stack weapon enchants with rogue poisons. Cat frm with frostbrand is really strong as a leveling build though. Not enough utlity to survive in pvp
>>
File: bar.png (364KB, 1150x165px) Image search: [Google]
bar.png
364KB, 1150x165px
Mire my Titan's Grip memes
>>
>>387599380
This actually looks kind of interesting. Where's the server hosted, exactly? I don't want to get invested into it before Blizzard pulls the plug with a lawsuit.
>>
File: c8834c9a88de2b2f.png (231KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
c8834c9a88de2b2f.png
231KB, 1280x1280px
>>387601568
>cat with two two handed maces witg shaman weapon enhancements paladen Holy weapon aura and the talent that makes mace have a chance to stun per hit with rouge attack speed buff
>>
>>387601769
I could be wrong but I think shapeshifted forms don't use the weapon damage/speed, just the stats.
>>
>>387600014
>>387600196
Don't listen to this guy, there is a cookie cutter build, and everyone runs some variant of it if you want to compete in pvp. During the beta you had two or three meta builds and no one tried anything new. melee with 10 gap closers, stuns, and poisons/frostbrand, riptide. dot caster with every cc. or insta cast shield "mage" with avenger's shield, silence, flamestrike, dragon's breath, frost shock, pom pyro, etc.
>>
>>387601452
Cool, what's your name? Let's party.
>>
File: 1426027002046.jpg (54KB, 640x718px) Image search: [Google]
1426027002046.jpg
54KB, 640x718px
>>387602237
>During the beta

> some variant of it if you want to compete in pvp

The variants are plentiful, anyway.

Also, all those builds are SOLO builds. 5 dudes running those builds will not beat 5 dudes with synergy builds.
>>
>>387602470
nice try, shill. That server is dead, and while I applaud the devs for coming up with such a good idea, it's poorly executed when you realize you can't be creative and be able to keep your gear/gold. I shit on a lot of kids during the beta, but it wasn't fun when you couldn't stray from the meta.
>>
>>387602706
>I shit on a lot of kids during the beta

Sounds to me like you just got shat on and are blaming the meta instead of your own lack of skills.

Also, you have this silly misconception that meta builds get to keep their gold. This simply isn't true. It's a group game and you can gank anyone with 10 pom pyro dudes if you wish so.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.