[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ here. Just want to say, I'm 34-years-old and it astonishes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: what the hell.jpg (331KB, 920x920px) Image search: [Google]
what the hell.jpg
331KB, 920x920px
/vr/ here. Just want to say, I'm 34-years-old and it astonishes me that all of this has come out or will be coming out in 2017.

More than a decade after the industry said platformers were dead. How did gaming get so good again? Where did all the Call of Duty and Dragon's Age people go?
>>
yooka laylee was shit, and this is coming from a long-time B&K fan
snake pass was also pretty bad
>>
>>387568865
Not OP but Yooka Laylee wasn't much worse than BK, probably around Tooie level to be honest.

N64 collectathons in general are absolute garbage.
>>
1/3 of your games came out before the new millennia
>>
>>387568671
half of these are straight up rehashes though, and two aren't even out yet
>>
>>387568671
Sonic Mania is a rehash.
Yooka Laylee was shit.
Odyssey looks like shit.
Metroid looks like shit.
>>
>>387569227

This misses the point.

The fact they got even made in 2017 is insane. You could call any spin-off or entry a rehash.
>>
File: Are you fucking me.jpg (40KB, 1135x544px) Image search: [Google]
Are you fucking me.jpg
40KB, 1135x544px
>>387569225
>rehash

any game based on a previous release in the same franchise that is either a remake or even an entirely new game with mechanics of a previous release is going to be called a rehash by you people.

Street Fighter is a rehash, Sonic Mania is a rehash despite it being 20+ years since the last actually classic sonic game (Generations doesn't count it objectively plays differently), metroid Prime 4 is a rehash despite it being 10 years since the last one, Mario is a rehash despite the last mario 64 esque game being released a literal 2 generations ago.

Do you only play indie avoid "rehashes"?
>>
File: 1475189834013.jpg (33KB, 680x490px) Image search: [Google]
1475189834013.jpg
33KB, 680x490px
>>387569227
>Sonic Mania is a rehash.

There it is

>Odyssey looks like shit.

Whats a fun game to you?
>>
>>387569225
>>387569227
>rehash

Anyone who uses this buzzword is actively conceding that they're fucking retarded.
>>
>>387569854
I'm fine with sequels, but half of these games are literally remakes of previous games.
>>
>>387569854
Crash, Wonderboy, and The Disney Afternoon Collection are literally remakes. In the case of the Disney one it's just the originals in a pack Im pretty sure.
Metroid Samus Returns is a heavily changed Metroid 2 or some shit IIRC.
Sonic Mania has some levels that literally put the old stage in a new order. It's more than half remake and a remix at best.

Snake Pass (To my knowledge), Mario Odyssey, and Yooka Laylee (ironically) are the only totally original games here.
>>
>>387570716

And Cuphead.
>>
>>387570747
Oh right I forgot about Cuphead entirely that's original too.
>>
>>387570521
one third is remakes and the Disney one is just a re-release. Can't blame people for wanting old games in an accessible package.

And if you really wanna nitpick there's enough new stuff in Metroid Samus Retruns to set it far apart enough from the original. They're not at all the same game by leaps and bounds.
>>
>>387569854
75% of the worlds in sonic mania are from sonic 1 HOW IS THAT NOT A REHASH lmao
>>
>>387570962
1 of the 12 zones in the game is from Sonic 1.
>>
>>387570716
read this response >>387570871

Didn't know what wonderboy even was but I guess its a remake. Regardless I'm not sure why anyone cares. One would have thought these were all being made by one company.
>>
File: unnamed.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>387570962

The levels are redesigned for the most part with new mechanics and stage gimmicks thrown in. Remix is not even an accurate term.

Plus, do people realise what they're saying - it's a rehash of a genre that the industry deem unprofitable just a few years ago. If these games came out last generation, they would be cheaply made and look like shitty mobile apps.

Hey, pretty much like this! The fact we got Mania makes us incredibly spoiled.
>>
File: 1502638007918.jpg (66KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1502638007918.jpg
66KB, 500x382px
>>387570962
>>387570962
I fail to see where I said it even wasn't.

>75% of the worlds in sonic mania are from sonic 1
>75%

Greenhill: Sonic 1
Chemical Plant: Sonic 2
Flying Battery Zone: Sonic 3
Stardust Speedway: Sonic CD
Hydrocity Zone: Sonic 3
Oil Ocean Zone: Sonic 2
Lava Reef Zone: Sonic 3
Metallic Madness Zone: Sonic CD

nigga you need to learn how to count. That said the Zones are different enough to not be the same at all especially with the second act including new stage gimmicks and the bosses being completely new.
>>
>>387571380
man that really looks like shit. Its the NSBM of sonic. Safe boring visuals vaguely reminiscent of something classic but lacking the fun gameplay.
>>
>>387571770
>Its the NSBM of sonic
But NSMB has pretty decent physics
>>
>>387571891
My sentence structure was off, I meant to say that its visuals were safe and boring but it lacked the good gameplay NSMB has.
>>
>>387571770
NSMB is actually kinda fun and plays like the classic mario games did.

Sonic 4 doesn't even come close to classic sonic with it's nonsense physics and awful visuals, ESPECIALLY episode 1. At least Episode 2 had the sense to actually have full 3D backgrounds instead of pre-rendered graphics.
>>
>>387571996
ah my bad gotcha
>>
>>387568671
Yooka Laylee let me down. I'd replace that with A Hat in Time. Rest of this though is fucking nice.
>>
>>387572483
It's about games coming out in 2017 though.
>>
>>387572753
Release is set for fall.
>>
File: 1501404558436.png (150KB, 357x417px) Image search: [Google]
1501404558436.png
150KB, 357x417px
>>387572934
>>
>>387568865
Yes and no. Every single issue lies in what the originals were like. BK will always have its place in history but out of most of Rare's catalog of hits, it hasn't aged well and YL just exemplifies that without proper modernization of the formula, it's gonna suck a lot of balls.

They had some good concepts like the different powers for Yooka and the quillies/pagies aren't the worst collectables out there in a game (it's insanely better in comparisons to DK64's multi colour bananas).

That said, the controls are inexcusably trash and that's not good for a platformers of any kind. Not to mention that bosses are lame, there was clearly a lack of polish in the overall design of the game and it just feels like they didn't work on the game long enough.

I can only image that they figured what was ready at launch would connect to the People of the good old days anf nostalgia can cover the flaws and even that's turned out sketchy as fuck.

I wanna see a sequel, with better controls,camera, enemies, NOT GETTING FUCKING HIT AFTER A CUTSCENE and overall be able to play something that looks good, polished. It's not impossible to make collectathanons platformers fun
>>
>>387573804
What am I looking at here? Is this supposed to be a reaction image?
>>
>>387569227
you say rehash like that alone is a bad thing

try to articulate WHY you feel the way you feel about these games
think of it as therapy
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.