[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think one day VR will be a standard in video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: o-VIRTUAL-REALITY.jpg (249KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-VIRTUAL-REALITY.jpg
249KB, 2000x1000px
Do you think one day VR will be a standard in video games?
>>
>>387557438
yes.
>>
>>387557438
no
>>
Absolutely. All this current gen """VR""" garbage will be long forgotten by then though.
>>
VR is decades away from being normal in the home. There's too many fucking hurdles to overcome. WALKING is a major hurdle of VR right now still.
>Most solutions right now require you having an entire fucking empty ass room for nothing but VR
This literally removes the entire country of Japan from the potential buyers for a gaming product.
And western 18-30 year olds are growing up in a time where property owning is as rare as unicorns. Nobody on earth who would have interest in VR has a big enough property to just have an extra room empty, if they even HAVE a room that isn't a bathroom, bedroom, and kitchen.

Either somebody is going to be smart enough to start up VR arcades or the entire idea is gonna die because there's no way to fucking way household VR is ever gonna take in its current state.
>>
>>387559062
VR arcades won't work because there's no VR titles worth going to a fucking arcade.
It's also awkward to jerk off in an arcade.
>>
>>387559062
The way it is now vr at worst will remain as a niche accessory like racing wheels or flight sim equipment but I doubt it will die off. Room scale maybe, but the headset isn't going anywhere
>>
>>387557438
Yes, when there are actually games for it and not tech demos.
>>
>>387557438
VR is a huge boost to horror games. Can't wait to try Alien Isolation in VR.
>>
>>387557438

standard? no. too involved and insulating.

a popular gimmick? sure.
>>
>>387557438
No. Only first person perspective games get some additional benefit from VR. What about every other genre that's not an fps or walking simulator?
>>
>>387557438
Gaben said that VR displays will surpass mobile displays, theres no reason to go beyond 1080 on a mobile screen, and that technologies like Foveated rendering will make it easy to drive.
>>
>>387559601
You forgot sitting simulators. VR actually makes Elite: Dangerous extremely cool, which is no small feat.
>turning your head towards the ship's consoles and watching the holo monitors spring to life before you eyes
Sugoi desu ne.
>>
>>387557438
I like this picture
>>
File: 1503027553437.webm (3MB, 816x460px) Image search: [Google]
1503027553437.webm
3MB, 816x460px
Probably not, unless they can get it all into one untethered package, it'll always be a niche market just due to its limitations. Plus there's the matter of some people being unable to play at all due to motion sickness.

I'd imagine AR will be the new big thing in the future though, the incredible popularity of Pokemon go showed that there's definitely a market for that.
>>
Everybody gave up on vr, except bethesda for some reason.
>>
>>387557438
nope
even if you could make HMD games nobody wants to strap a fucking screen to thier face
>>
>>387561785
Bethesda won't give up for the same reason harmony gold won't give up on their robotech liscense
>>
>>387561785
Bethesda's business model is just seeing how many times they can get people to buy Skyrim again
>>
>>387557438
I'd like it to be. RE7 in VR would have been my GOTY if the VR wasn't so primitive still. We're still far off from having the proper hardware to run it exceptionally well for games, and it's still uncomfortable, wired, etc. But the experience is still obviously superior.
>>
>>387557438
Someday, but not today. We must bridge the gap somehow. Today's stuff is nothing like what VR will be. It's very gimmicky.
>>
Yes. Gen 1 is so technologically impressive.

10-15 years from now I bet portable hardware will be so good that the processor and GPU will be in the VR headset.

I think you'll see VR Mario Kart at Dave and Busters in time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwze-Hsu3eo
>>
>>387557438
You can emulate a monitor in VR/AR, a combination of AR and VR would be more preferable for such a task.
Once you can achieve a similar result that can fit like a pair of wireless glasses so light weight you easily forget they exist for a reasonable price it would be more attractive for a lot of people.
Even with deluxe audio strap and tpcast I can't really lay down comfortably for a prolonged period of time anywhere with a vive.
Having something like leapmotion and intrinsic tracking integrated would be handy as well since you can just use your hands without the need for controllers when doing simple tasks that don't require haptics.

Minimising setup time is essential, with a typical monitor setup I just slide in my chair and at most put on a pair of headphones. It has to be that simple with VR/AR to take off and become mainstream.
Right now its like comparing pocketPCs to smartphones.
>>
>>387559498
There's already a VR patch out and it's really good
>>
>>387557438
No, honestly it's just a gimmick, unless they're able to make everything wireless and store all the technology into the headset it's never going to get any further than it is right now
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.