[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /v/ think of modern CRPGS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: 1503074019939.png (3MB, 1932x2456px) Image search: [Google]
1503074019939.png
3MB, 1932x2456px
What does /v/ think of modern CRPGS?
>>
Inb4 butthurt AoD fags. AoD is terrible.
>>
>>387546626
I appreciate the fact that you, or someone, took my advice and included a good tier that the chart previously lacked.
>>
Divinity is right behind Pillars.
>>
>>387546626
>PoE
Story dogshit, characters are meh, the villain is barely a character and there is no sense of urgency. Many of the same problems BG1 has. More of a framework than a fleshed out game. Plus all motivation to finish the game completely vanished after the 2nd act with the party at max level and the story taking a nosedive.

>Underrail
Looks like no-budget indie trash. No thanks.

>Shadowrun
Dogshit. No loot, no real sense of gear progression. Story is terribly railroaded. Writing is just awful and the RP options, which should be strongest part since the game isn't VA'd, are almost non-existent. I quit 15hrs in.

>Shadowrun HK
Didn't play but i doubt it's any better than Dragonfall.

>Dungeon Crawlers are RPGs now
no

>DivOs1
Good combat, great writing, interesting world and tone but, like PoE, the story barely exists and the bit that is there is just boring and takes ages to get going only to end a couple hours later. Actually finished that one.

>Wasteland 2
Finished twice, the original release and the DC. Probably the best of new wave of CRPGs. Tonnes of RP options, varied dialogue choices, satisfying combat and deep gear and customization. Could've used a much bigger budget tho, cut scenes, more story in general.

>Tyranny
Looks like it should've been a AAA product with the narrow scope and short playtime but it failed anyway so Obsidian dodged that money pit in the last second.

>Torment
WORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS
Seriously, prose is a thing.

>Age of Decadence
Looks more like a CYOAB that someone had the genius idea of adding a super complex combat system to.presentation/budget is all that keeps me from playing it. As shallow as it may sound, well presented story and focus on characters is really important in RPGs.
>>
>>387546626

Other than divinity I didn't enjoy a single one of these.

Apparently being an oldfag I'm supposed to like verbose games so I forced myself through some of them, but I just can't, 200 words to describe a monk's fucking beard is too much for me.
>>
>>387546626
Move PoE to ok tier, Underrail deserves the title of a best thing that happened with genre in years.
>>
>>387548326
>no real sense of gear progression
What? Did we play the same game, your free to have your opinions but shit nigga but weapon upgrades and gear progression was actually a fairly big part of the game since it didn't have randomly generated loot and HP numbers stayed low, upgrades mattered a shitload, this is not even getting into companions getting flat out new weapons classes as the story progressed.

Like shit how can you complain about weapon variety in Dragonfall yet praise Original Sin for its combat, the only thing you did there was craft a new weapon every level because it would always 100% be the best thing available and the only variety you got was +1 constitution or +1 speed.
>>
AoD is better than all of that shit
>>
>>387548919
The fun abilities, and especially their presentation, helped a lot with the very basic weapon set in DivOS. SR had none of that, everything looked the same, felt the same, so the lack of interesting loot made it all much worse.
>>
>>387546626
CRPGs suck all of them.
ARPGs are King.

Sorry gramps nobody likes playing a version of table top without what makes that fun.
>>
What's a good RPG that let's me be a complete slut?
>>
>>387548990
>Try to roleplay as mercenary.
>Cant finish the game because locked out of the specific skill checks the dev wanted you to pick so get thrown into unwinnable fights.
>Try to min max as charismatic non combat character.
>Can play for longer but still get locked out later in the game because cant meet skill requirements dev made for you.
>Have to wander around for five million years to get the arbitrary XP bonuses from doing random crap because playing non combat character.

Its just annoying trash desu.
>>
>>387546626
Divinity and Age of Decadence are the only ones I managed to finish, I started almost all of them. Admittedly I partially didn't finish Wasteland 2 due to a bug but with more motivation I'd probably have fixed it.
No clue what Grimrock is doing in there, either.
>>
>>387549225
t. ADHD

Probably thinks Platinum games are good and unironically has LE RULES OF NATURE on his playlist
>>
>even mentioning Age of Decadence
>>
>>387549221
Duuno man, OS was only interesting if you handicapped yourself by not hiring companions and then further handicapped yourself by not giving everyone summon spider, after that you could turn your brain off and never really care about managing elements.
The combat had potential to be fun but being optimal ended up just facefucking every encounter with a party of 8 which made if feel dull as fuck, you only really thought about encounters for the first few hours with oil+fire and by the time you unlocked master level they were just flavor and not actually that great.

Let's not even get into how fucking samey everything was, magic schools all have a touch spell for close range/immunity/shield/range high damage nuke (fireball/iceball/poison dart/headvice)/lategame aoe nuke) it feels really obvious if you do a magic only playthrough and just dedicate yourself to 2 schools, they all feel exactly the same with just "fire doesn't hurt fire elemental enemies" modifiers.
>>
whats wrong with shadowrun returns? ive played hong kong and dragonfall but not returns arent they pretty much the same thing?
>>
>>387549563
Is a pacifist run possible?
>>
>>387549949
Yes if you wander around for five billion years to get the random XP bonuses and hump the walls looking for secrets you can but it requires constant min maxing and prudence which is weird because because everyone talks about how its the best game to do pacifist or charismatic characters but you absolutely will be forced into combat on your first play through because you didn't know you had to go up to the giant nigger raping a small child statue circle it three times skill check for 4 nigger faggotry skill check AGAIN for 9 Pozzed aids semen and then use the golden foreskin on the fountain to open the secret rapist dungeon to progress and if you even complain about this shit the dev will come up to you be all like "wow you just had to use the nigger anus semen on the dick rapist statue with 5 nigger faggotry so its totally completable and reasonable your complaint isn't real haha"

And if you have the gall to not have pre-cognition and not instantly tell which routes that require what and dont constantly quick save your fucked, roll another character because you are stuck at a dead end faggot should of picked the other route.
>>
>tfw i liked sword coast legends
>bought ember during summer sale

i'm such a massive pleb with low iq but i quite enjoy crpgs. got stuck in divinity but at least i played and finished wasteland 2 and shadowrun dragonfall.
underrail and pillars looks cool but they're too intimidating for me
>>
>>387549949
My first successful (and second ever) run was a pacifist loremaster run. I didn't get into a single fight, or rather, died instantly every time I did. I managed to get my skills right for a run like that on my second ever try of the game so clearly the other guy is exaggerating somewhat.
>>
>>387549892
>being optimal ended up just facefucking every encounter
Which is true for every single SP game ever made. The optimal route is always boring and easy.

DivOS probably gets a pass from me because of the nice presentation(graphics, style, effects, sound) so combat didn't feel boring at all. Plus they patched and balanced it while i was playing so i had to adapt my build several times during the playthrough. And no, i've never focused on summon. I hate summoning monsters/familiars in general.
>>
>>387550993
Did they ever deliver the post-launch content outlined in the first marketing push?
>>
>>387548326
>Original Sin
>Great writing

Thank god I dont have your tastes, I'd probably kill myself out of shame.
>>
>>387551119
Don't misunderstand me, I really like OS, it's just that I can't understand complaining about dragonfall having shit gear progression while at the same time praising OS where you won the game at level 2 or 3 by having maxed out crafting and 1 point in gemomancery
>>
>>387551243
which game are you talking about?
im gonna guess sword coast, and yeah they released some free dlc and multiplayer updates from what i saw. but i finished the story within a week and haven't played since, so idk if it's good
>>
>>387551416
Exactly why i'm not minmaxing. I play games the way i'm having the most fun. For instance Witcher 3s combat is very easy to cheese with a full sword combat build spamming light attacks non stop, but i like to mix in bombs, signs and dodge maneuvers even if it only makes the combat more complex and drawn out.

Unless the game requires me to min max to even beat it, like XCOM on impossible ironman, i just don't.
>>
>>387551842
But anon, bombs ARE the way to choose Witchers 3's combat, that and just outleveling everything because level gating areas and quests while making all loot generate based on the players level was a totally good design decision
>>
>>387552048
Which is why i turned on level scaling.

And no, holding down fast attack just slaughters everything in seconds with no recovery time.
>>
Great list, should put Tyranny at the end of OK list and Tides just before Grimoire though
Also, Grimrock games aren't rpgs
>>
>>387552284
But Grimoire is?
>>
>>387551015
Then I'm going to have to assume you used a guide or got insanely lucky because this crap is FULL of dead ends, skill checks, and instant deaths, the only reason I even completed it was because I was lucky and save scummed so I could go and get every single XP bonus and even then I ended up getting locked out by a crafting skill check anyway so I had to bugger my own asshole finding an obscure way through.
>>
>>387548326
Thanks for the blog faggot
>>
>>387553908
I suppose I must have gotten lucky. That's not to say I didn't retry multiple things and got stuck for a while, but I always found ways to get enough xp to get the option that fit my character as a smoothtalky loremaster.
>>
>>387554046
I appreciated that post, even if it's completely wrong about all its opinions
>>
>>387546626
This is probably the most correct one of these lists I've ever seen on /v/, OP is not a faggot.
>>
Correct
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.