[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is it every type of game ages badly except rpg's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

why is it every type of game ages badly except rpg's
>>
Every other genre is so wrapped up in the technology of the time that they are immediately outdated by later games
>>
>>387541385
What's a good GBA Rpg that's not Final Fantasy and that I can emulate while I'm on the shitter?
>>
Rpg's are more story driven and the gameplay by it's fundamental design takes backseat.
>>
I replayed turok 1 and 2 not long ago. Shit was still fun and immersive.
>>
>>387541385
>city-builders
>RCT/TTD
>civ
>AoE
>>
>>387541385
It's almost entirely rule-based, so they age the same way as a board-game would.

Menaing if it works and is engaging in the first place, it likely keeps working and stays engaging.
>>
>>387541385
>posts jrpg

Now do that again, but with crpg.
>>
>>387541678
Breath of Fire
Lufia
Golden Sun
Summon Night
Iggdra Union
Sword of Mana
>>
>>387542724
>crpg
what's crpg?
>>
>>387541678
>Megaman Battle Network
>Golden Sun
>Mother, Earthbound, Mother 3
>Breath of fire
>Mario Superstar saga
>>
>>387541385
2D platformers don't age that badly. The ones that were good when they came out are still good. I replayed Rocket Knight Adventures recently and it's still great.
>>
>>387541385
Not all RPGs age well. Some of the earlier ones are pretty obnoxious to play due to stuff like high encounter rates or dull systems.

That said, many other genres age a bit worse due to either technical limitations or simply due to extremely outdated design philosophies. RPGs kinda haven't changed too much so they age fairly well.
>>
>>387543023
An actual rpg. As in, a game with roleplaying and not a game that has roleplaying in the name without any actual roleplaying gameplay. The term jrpg is a misnomer.
>>
>>387543513
So in otherwords pen and paper RPGs are what you're looking for. Cause you don't really roleplay in any game. And no choosing answers from a wheel doesn't count if you're being pedantic
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.