[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Skill Tree Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: Classes plus weapons and armor.jpg (288KB, 1695x970px) Image search: [Google]
Classes plus weapons and armor.jpg
288KB, 1695x970px
Skill tree V2 for my game. (1-4 player co-op JRPG style game.) You guys helped me fix up a few things and gave me the idea to add more original names. What do you think? Advice/feedback would be very appreciated.

What I changed:

Warrior > Prince
Knight > Soldier
Dark Knight > Shade
Paladin > Guardian

Rouge > Cat Burglar
Swapped Samurai and Assassin
Samurai > Queenpin
Completely remade samurai class into queenpin

Mage > Arcane
Wizard > Mystic
Druid > Clover (Idk if I should change this one.)
Healer > Mender
Cleric > Divine
>>
Wait a minute is this one of those fake game threads?
>>
>>387540043
thief is still written wrong, retard.
>>
File: 1502906228072.jpg (139KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1502906228072.jpg
139KB, 666x666px
are you making the game all alone or you're just the ideas guy?
>>
>>387540543
>>
>>387540272
No I'm really developing an RPG. Huge budget as far as indies go. Very story driven. Might start posting progress in threads if people would be interested.

>>387540574
It's all me my man. I'm commissioning people for art and music if that counts though. What I'm doing is the writing, animating, and putting the game together.
>>
>>387541017
so what's the game plot?
>>
>>387540043
the fucks the gameplay
>>
>>387541017
Bump. Please tells us more
>>
File: C1-GradBG.jpg (441KB, 2398x4000px) Image search: [Google]
C1-GradBG.jpg
441KB, 2398x4000px
>>387541187
>>387541313
>>387541502
I'm happy that you guys are so eager to know about it. It plays out of battle like chrono trigger/4 swords adventure. In battle it plays like paper mario. It's unique in the way that it's an up to 4 player co-op rpg game. Each player can control a party member in the map and in battle. The 4 party members are the base classes above. Each member has a special ability that is used for puzzle solving. The prince can push heavy shit, the gunman can shoot far away things, the thief can climb up surfaces the others can't (ropes, walls, ect.), and the apprentice can teleport across gaps. Another unique feature is that the game is incredibly replayable. For starters there are 4 different classes you can end up as. As well as that; there aren't multiple endings, but every situation has multiple ways of going about it, and each player votes on the route they want to take. Majority rules. For example you can take the short but hard path through the cave, or you can take the long but easy path through the forest. The players will then be prompted to vote and whichever option wins gets done.

For the story, I would need another wall of text to properly explain it, but I'm going to generalize the fuck out of it and tell you in two sentences. The mafia split in two; people who don't want to be criminals anymore, and the ones who do. Many years after the split the bad mafia is trying to get back at the good mafia and team up with a cult to take them down. You play as the leader of the good mafia. Pic related.

If you guys want a not half assed story explanation, maybe some info on the other party members, just tell me, but it's probably going to be a long read.
>>
>>387543235
Gameplay sounds like bloat of features which means you will prob drop development month after
>>
So you can't make video games but can write idea. You got nothing to show for yourself and will never make it.
>>
File: 1500583556966.jpg (89KB, 1127x685px) Image search: [Google]
1500583556966.jpg
89KB, 1127x685px
>>387540043
>Shotgunner leads to sniper
>Rifleman leads to engineer
>>
>>387543235
Go ahead and post some details about characters, also have you started developing gameplay?
>>
>>387540043
Does that bottom left tree start at Prince?
Why would it? A prince is royalty born of blood, it doesn't make much sense to put it as the entry-path to a class system

I like the way FFT did it by making entry-level melee characters "Squire"
>>
>>387543497
Im not quite sure what you mean by this. The game is going to take years to complete for sure, I'm going for something big. So if you mean that it's going to take a while yeah you're right.

>>387543601
I don't even care if I make it big, I just want to make a good game that can be enjoyed. I love writing and I want a way to get my stories out to the world. Originally I was thinking movies, but a guy like me could never do that. It was when I was playing paper mario and was thinking how fun it would be to play with my brother that I got the idea. I just want to make something fun that will be enjoyed, I don't care about ""making it"". That doesn't mean I'm gonna half ass it tho, I'm taking my time to make something polished.
>>
>>387540043
give rifleman a third option for grenadier
>>
>>387540043
>cat burglar
sounds retarded, call them rogue
>>
you have a terrible command over the english language
>>
>>387540043
I'd switch Sniper with Engineer. Why would sniping flow from shotguns as opposed to rifles?
>>
>>387543696
Thanks for the feedback anon, swapping sniper and engineer around.

>>387543972
The party member that joins you from that skill tree is actually a prince. Some other anons told me that warrior sounded pretty bland so I decided to do it like that. Seems confusing without details my b.
>>
>>387544094
You don't even know how to just like make game. Go prototype before being idea guy. You don't even know if this shit will be fun yet. Writing a story isn't going to program your game or make art and assets. Go get a cube to move or something and evaluate your life choices.
>>
>>387544362
>The party member that joins you from that skill tree is actually a prince.
Ah I didn't realize it was an individual character. I was thinking more of customizable characters, but if you've got backstories for individual/specific ones, you wouldn't have to worry about a plot hole like this
>>
>>387544121
Rocketeer has many grenade skills. I originally planned to have a demolitionist class instead of rocketeer but decided to just give the rocketeer explosive skills.

>>387544253
Thanks for the feedback. Would you prefer just burglar or rouge?

>>387544284
I didn't intend for this document to be seen by anybody except myself when I made it so I didn't bother to correct spelling mistakes.
>>
>not one mention of shields

For the prince, none of the paths mention shields. I would assume it would be used in tandem with the shortswords. Longsword usually refers to a one handed weapon, which would mean you have three classes that could have a shield. Does the berserker use a two handed weapon? That's my natural assumption. I think you would be better off just listing these classes as either "1-handed weapon + shield" and "2-handed weapons"

Unless you are using the word longsword to mean what is usually called greatsword/claymore in which case you have no top tier class with a shield, which is lazy and lame.
>>
>>387544473
I have 3 artists helping me (sprite, cutscene/battle, and backdrops), and I'm the animator for the cutscene and battle art. I also have musicians helping me, and I already have the commercial rights to some tracks, just 2 right now though. I can show you one if you want. I also have a developer helping me with program. I'm going to just say it, I'm using RPGMaker but my developer has already pimped the shit out of it so that my game feels nothing like an rpgmaker game. He managed to get me splitscreen, pixel movement, and animations from spine2d into the battles. Is also in the works of making me the paper mario like battle system. All custom art as well. When the game is much further in progress I plan to release free demo copies to some anons at /v/ to test and critique. I don't plan on rushing out a piece of shit if that's what you're thinking.
>>
>>387545018
Thanks for the feedback anon. I'll add shields/dual wielding to the shortsword classes now. Also the daggers are dual wield weapons.
>>
>>387544473
This is the most important thing here. None of these class designs will even come close to mattering if you can't even get an actual battle to take place.

Can you program a simple, interactive battle sequence? Make one and use stupid shit for the art just to see if it works, and you will get an idea of how the battle flows, then you can make adjustments.

If you don't have the battle systems/stats in place, then it's not worth thinking up the classes. Many of these ideas might not find a place within a battle system that you are capable of making.
>>
>>387545525
You listed a bunch of shit but won't show a screenshot of the video game.
>>
>>387545961

For example, if your battle system does not have a field to move around on, then what is the difference between a sniper and a regular rifle? If the battle system does not account for range, then does it even make sense to have a sniper class?
>>
>>387540043
>theif
>>
>>387545961
>>387546157
My developer is working on the battle system currently. It's not finished though.

Also, yeah my dev is incorporating ranged mechanics even though there is no field to move on. You know how in paper mario you can't hit a flying enemy with a grounded attack? Well let's say you are in battle with a flying enemy and it goes super high in the air. A regular melee attack obviously wouldn't hit, but depending on how high it went up, a revolver or rifle wouldn't reach either. Good pointing that out though.

>>387545968
The story is mostly written out but the thing is that when you want to make a really nice game, assets cost a lot. The asset costs are pretty much the main thing holding me back from showing you guys something sooner. I just bought spine2d for $300 and I need to wait a bit before I have more money to spend on battler art to show off the battles, or pixel art to show off the maps. I have other living costs and I'm a student as well so time is crunched outside of summer. Hope you understand.
>>
>>387547292
So you don't have a video game and just ideas.
>>
File: why.gif (26KB, 273x200px) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
26KB, 273x200px
>>387547654
What says I'm not getting these ideas made into a game? I wouldn't post this here if I wasn't going to make a game.
>>
>>387543235
You should post updates somewhere if you don't already have something.
>>
>>387548274
So what's the difference between you and 10000 other "idea guys" who all think they have a game with godlike story and gameplay but never even get pass the first protoype because their ideas turn out to be not fun at all?
I have been working as a full time professional game dev for close to a decade. Having a "huge" budget is not going to help unless you're talking millions. If you don't know what you're doing you will 100% waste most of your money and end up in an endless revision cycle where you're left with nothing but depression in the end.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.