[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Ryu boring?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

File: Ryu-TvC.jpg (87KB, 700x1070px) Image search: [Google]
Ryu-TvC.jpg
87KB, 700x1070px
Is Ryu boring?
>>
>eat bread
>drink water
>prefer vanilla ice cream
>play Ryu
>>
>>387514335
Vanilla ice cream is legit as fuck, don't diss.
>>
No, he's reliable.
>>
>>387514252
Street fighter is boring
>>
No, in our politically correct and fucked up world in 2017 we need such simple characters like Ryu.
>>
>>387514252
He's a god damn hobo in his game and outside it, he's the king of all shoto's who are seen inherently generic, boring and the most basic kind of fighters to play with and easiet to learn and master.
>>
>>387514335
Vanilla is not the "default" ice cream. It's a fucking flavor.
>>
File: 1471357386650.jpg (638KB, 1728x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1471357386650.jpg
638KB, 1728x1728px
You playing a no skill fuckin borin' ass shoto in my room? Get that ass banned
>>
>>387514252
He's more fun in the older games
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JM7pPpfIPY
>>
>>387514943
GTAB
>>
>>387514252
yes because everybody plays him like if they were daigo
>>
>>387514252
Yes, but that's why he's perfect. You need a Ryu to act as the straight-man to all your Blankas and Dhalsims. Without him none of the crazy characters would seem half as crazy. He's the baseline for what 'normal' is.
>>
>>387514252

I actually like Ryu a lot in the versus series.

Even if he's basic it's also cool how they take such a vanilla moveset and let him go crazy with multiple tatsus and shit.
>>
Mechanically boring? No. He's just straightforward. He's solidly built in every game he shows up in. In terms of personality/story? Yes, he's the most boring thing alive. Who cares about his struggle with the Satsui No Hado? He's a fighthobo with zero goals beyond Get Gud At Fite who's always incidental to the actual plots of games he's the posterboy for.
>>
File: 1495370989093.jpg (83KB, 552x546px) Image search: [Google]
1495370989093.jpg
83KB, 552x546px
Games Ryu is NOT boring in:
>SF2 series
>Third Strike

Games Ryu is boring in:
>Everything else

Games Ryu is EXTREMELY boring in:
>SFV

I really like SFV as well, but man. SFV Ryu is the most boring Ryu of all time.
>>
>>387517140
I just dont understand why they didn't give him his donkey kick.

What the fuck.
>>
>>387517140
Games Ryu not boring in
>not tvc
>not mvc series

Shit taste

>>387517479
FUCKING THIS
>>
>>387518606

I only included mainline street fighter games. I haven't played tvc.
>>
File: danvkenragequit.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
danvkenragequit.webm
2MB, 640x480px
The only acceptable shoto.
>>
>>387518782
I really hope they bring Dan back.

How much of a chance does he have?
>>
>>387519348

Take it from me man. 0 chance.

In this day and age Dan can only make it in as a vanilla character. If they add a legitimate joke character as DLC people are going to crucify them for wasting time developing him.
>>
>>387519487
That's so disappointing. Dan is one of my favorite characters in SF.

At least Birdie is boatloads of fun
>>
>>387514943
does he have his own name tattood on his forearm
>>
>>387519903

Yes.
>>
File: 1416256075166.jpg (13KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1416256075166.jpg
13KB, 184x184px
>tfw Alex main with Ryu secondary
>both are ass
>can't escape Gold rank
>>
File: Dan_Hibiki.png (609KB, 769x940px) Image search: [Google]
Dan_Hibiki.png
609KB, 769x940px
>>387519348
Me too, dude.
Maybe next season will have Dan, Blanka and Sakura.
A man can dream.
>>
Ken is so much better in terms of personality. I can hardly believe they haven't done anything with Ryu over the years. He has literally zero character development.
>>
>>387520206

While neither character is good that's not why you can't get out of gold. Character strengths means virtually nothing at that rank. Nobody there is even close to good enough for stuff like that to matter.
>>
he's actually interesting in games where damage is high, since the fireball is big risk and big payoff

when he loses his teeth he has to play just like any other character, footsies on the ground, taking no chances, going for option selects or safe block chains or whatever the fuck

dont get me wrong, I fucking hate ryu and people who play him, but that hatred is part of what makes sf interesting, I miss the days of low RH into fireball so much
>>
File: B3UdoU9CMAAjTGY.jpg (51KB, 599x396px) Image search: [Google]
B3UdoU9CMAAjTGY.jpg
51KB, 599x396px
>>387514252
Not really, he is just your archetypical disciplined, serious and secluded fighter.

Americans find him boring, because America is a very niggerfied country where people (regardless of their actual race) all act like chimps.
>>
File: 1503074154355.png (115KB, 474x200px) Image search: [Google]
1503074154355.png
115KB, 474x200px
>>387520461
What rank is considered "good"? Platinum?
Also, how do I escape rushdown with Alex? He has no defensive options. Balrog and Ken just savage me every single time.

I feel like his only corner escape is V-Reversal, or to crank EX Knee and hopefully launch to the other side of the world, or catch them in a jump mixup.

I know Gold isn't considered godlike by most, but I'd like to think I'm at least decent.
>>
>>387520451
Capcom has strung along his "struggle with the Satsui no Hadou" gimmick for far longer than it makes sense. He canonically beats it completely by the start of Street Fighter III, and his last major test was back in the Alpha series. I get that it's meant to be a more concrete representation of his never-ending quest for enlightenment at the end of his fist, but still.

>>387514252
To OP's point: no, Ryu not boring. Everyone is a standout character when it comes to fighting games, but even then, you have to respect him for being such an honest character since time immemorial. He's traveled the world, made many friends, fought countless battles and has seen and done things most people only dream of. Just because he's stoic and disciplined doesn't make him uninteresting. If he wasn't interesting in his own way, he wouldn't be the flagbearer for not just his company but for an entire genre of video games.
>>
>>387520868
Platinum is decent
Gold is like... right below decent

You can EX elbow in corner for the super armor
>>
>>387520868

Well good is relevant in my opinion. To me good is better than myself, so it's always changing.

That being said people who are diamond or above are generally decent, but let me tell you. There are some diamond players where it just blows my mind. I don't even think it's impressive to get to diamond, I'm not big on putting value in online ranking. But even so, I can't comprehend how some people managed to get diamond when I see them play.
>>
File: 1500434339579s.jpg (8KB, 250x244px) Image search: [Google]
1500434339579s.jpg
8KB, 250x244px
>>387521129
Cheers, my dude. I will try to add that to my routine.

SF5 is my first fighting game and it's fun as hell, but I just can't deal with these rushdown fiends
>>
>>387519903
Yes. He's entertaining but also a huge retard.
>>
>>387521185
>That being said people who are diamond or above are generally decent, but let me tell you. There are some diamond players where it just blows my mind. I don't even think it's impressive to get to diamond, I'm not big on putting value in online ranking. But even so, I can't comprehend how some people managed to get diamond when I see them play.

I'm a really bad player. Literally all I know is frame data. The amount of people who fall for the most basics frametraps in diamond is mindboggling. Who the fuck presses buttons after a VTC? What did you expect would happen?
>>
>>387521029
But he finally overcame it in SFV's story mode when Necalli jobbed for like the twentieth time.
>>
>>387521239
As a Birdie player, I feel you my man. Rushdown hurts us grab strikers real bad
>>
>>387516823
> You need a Ryu to act as the straight-man to all your Blankas and Dhalsims. Without him none of the crazy characters would seem half as crazy. He's the baseline for what 'normal' is.
This. That's also the reason they made Demitri pretty normal in Darkstalkers, so all the zany shapeshifting antics of the rest of the cast would have a point of reference to compare to.
>>
>>387514496
This.

Master Ryu and you've mastered fundamentals.
>>
ROO itself can be boring but it's the players who make him much more fun, just look at jyobin's ROO
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.