[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dearest Helena ____________ ____________ ____________ ____________

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

File: GerardDuGalle_SC1_CineBWIntro1.jpg (16KB, 341x341px) Image search: [Google]
GerardDuGalle_SC1_CineBWIntro1.jpg
16KB, 341x341px
Dearest Helena

Also why did Gerard trust Duran still? I thought he didn't like traitors; and surely the counsel of his aide/lieutenant/good friend Alexei weighs far more?
>>
Areue preepared to go all they wey Alexey?
>>
It will never cease to amaze me how incredibly low has Blizzards storytelling sunk since their golden age.

And it really started all the way back with Warcraft 3.
>>
DEAREST HELENA:
I trusted some random black guy i met on a bumfuck planet and killed my best friend because he told me to. im now gonna kill myself. vote republican
>>
>>387499821
Yeah, Warcraft 1 and 2 storytelling was so much better, right?
>>
File: Overmind_SCR_HeadAnim.gif (2MB, 224x240px) Image search: [Google]
Overmind_SCR_HeadAnim.gif
2MB, 224x240px
AWAKEN
>>
>>387498832
Dearest Helena,
By now, the news of our defeat has reached /v/. The Koreans we came here to tame are untameable, and the game design philosophies we were sent to reclaim have proven to be less lucrative than we anticipated. Whatever you may hear about what has happened out here, know this - Alexei did not die gloriously in battle. I killed him. My low APM killed him. And now my low APM has consumed me as well. You will never see me again, Helena. Tell our children that I love them, and that their father died in defense of the RTS genre. Au revoir.
>>
>>387499421
Stukov went fuck all without saying a word. "All evidence points to the contrary". It had little to do with Gerard's trust. It's more baffling on why Gerard wanted to dismantle the psi disruptor when simulations would have clearly shown the UED could not defeat the Zerg alone, and the disruptor was immensely important. You have a cabinet of advisers and scientific departments for this decision making.
>>
>>387500524
cucked once again
>>
>>387500902
Also Duran messing with communication equipment for an entire detachment. Doesn't work? Call the guy next to him. And the next to him, and next to him. It's highly unlikely they have access to just one motorola.

Wait, why is Duran even in a command position? He's an adviser. And why isn't there a second in command keeping tabs on him?
>>
Dearest Helena,

Long ago
Just like the hearse you die to get in again
We are so far from you
Burning on
Just like the match you strike to incinerate
The lives of everyone you know
And what's the worst you take
From every heart you break
And like the blade you stain
Well I've been holding on tonight

What's the worst that I can say?
Things are better if I stay
So long and goodnight
So long not goodnight

Came a time
When every star fall
Brought you to tears again
We are the very hurt you sold
And what's the worst you take
From every heart you break
And like the blade you stain
Well I've been holding on tonight

So long and goodnight
So long not goodnight
And if you carry on this way
So long and goodnight
So long not goodnight

Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide

So long and goodnight
So long not goodnight
And if you carry on this way
So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight
>>
>>387500660
>Yeah, Warcraft 1 and 2 storytelling was so much better, right?
Yes, they unironically were. They weren't amazing, of course, but at least the games had decent art direction and some semblance of a tone.

Meanwhile, Starcraft, Broodwar and Diablo 1 and 2 were MASTERPIECES in atmosphere, with great art direction, great music, some of the best cinematics of their era. The writing has never been great, but in genre fiction that can be forgiven if the form is good. And man, was it ever.

Then Warhammer 3 came in and things start to fall apart.
But it was not until SC2 and Diablo 3 came out that I realized how incredibly deep they had descended.

At least Overwatch had proven there are some people who still know how to make decent animated movies left.
>>
>>387501339

Yeah Metzen's corruption/redemption fetish got out of hand in both WoW and SC2. If someone is evil they're probably going to end up good and if someone is good watch them descend to evil! It made the falls melodramatic instead of tense.
>>
>>387501339
>b-but other things!
I'm not going to argue with the rest of your inane ramblings as it is a lost cause, but please elaborate on how the storytelling in 1 and 2 is supposedly better than 3. I don't see how art direction, "muh atmosphere", "tone" are related to the storytelling, but please enlighten me if you actually have a point.
>>
LOCKED IN AND CRUISING
>>
>>387498832
the dominion were the good guys
>>
File: Rayfugees.jpg (67KB, 450x361px) Image search: [Google]
Rayfugees.jpg
67KB, 450x361px
What did they mean by this?
>>
Dearest Helena

Good. You opened this message. This isn't actually asari military command. They're busy tending to what's left of their planet.
So you survived our fight on Thessia. You're not as weak as I thought. But never forget that your best wasn't good enough to stop me. Now an entire planet is dying because you lacked the strength to win. The legend of Shepard needs to be re-written. I hope I'm there for the last chapter. It ends with your death.
-KL
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (24KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
24KB, 1280x720px
>>387502175
what the fuck did they do to raynor
>>
>>387502434
Update him to look similar to his SC2 appearance
They did the same with Kerrigan.
>>
>>387501897
>I'm not going to argue with the rest of your inane ramblings as it is a lost cause
This actually tells me that nothing that I will say will matter since you are already an inscure faggot arguing solely because somebody dared to not validate your garbage taste, but what ever. I'm bored.

>I don't see how art direction, "muh atmosphere", "tone" are related to the storytelling
You don't see how vital parts of the storytelling are part of the storytelling? You do not understand how visuals and sound are part of the tools the game uses to tell a story? Well, that might be a BIT of problem.

As for how they were better: I think it's more accurate to say that they were less absolutely awful.
And here is how: they did not have a misguided pretense of being serious and epic when their art, writing and engine had absolutely no chance of living up to it.

Here is a pro-tip: If you want to hinge your story on an impendign threat of a terrifying demon invasion, make sure that you can actually depict that invasion in a way that is not going to make the audience burst out laughing.

Because WC3's idea of depicting the terrible consequences of a demon invasion was a ugly street made out of bouncy-castles where 15-poly cartoon "demons" in bright blue and bright red clumsily slide on the ground and wave their hands towards one of the PVC monstrosities the game tried to present as "house", while a bunch of clueless 10 poly dolls runs around in circles.

The game was fucking hideous and incredibly cartoony in the worst possible way, yet it tried to present itself as serious, dark epic tale. It looked like a really edgy 12 years old idea of how to make Disneyland cooler.
It's easier to take Lego games seriously than it was to take WC's big epic serious plot.

Even the CGI was mostly hugely disspointing. There was ONE really good animation (Arthas betreyal) but it was SO JARRINGLY out of tone of the rest of the game it just highlighted how bad everything else is.
>>
As someone who's playing the original Starcraft for the very first time right now, I think the story is your average sci-fi story (except from the parts where the Protoss are involved, where it turns into average fantasy story) and you guys have some gigantic nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>387502636
That looks nothing at all like either SC1 or SC2 Raynor. He's like a completely different character.
>>
>>387502434
Retroactively re-designed characters to better fit in with starcraft 2: hero of the pauldrons.
I'm amazed they didn't completely rewrite the story for their divine, amazing, wonderfully perfect kerry-chan.
>>
File: DuGalle_SC1_HeadAnim1.gif (95KB, 60x56px) Image search: [Google]
DuGalle_SC1_HeadAnim1.gif
95KB, 60x56px
Need the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ss1iQFrNus
>>
>Hey, remember that demo mission to some obscure console that didn't even have voice acting? What if parts of it were semi canon
>Wait, you want to recycle Stukov? And bring him as an infested? Not a bit too much?
>Didn't Muradin have an amnesia for a decade?
>Point taken
>>
>>387502850
>divine, amazing, wonderfully perfect kerry-chan
Heart of the Swarm is the Ultima 9 of RTS games.
>>
>>387503172
Heart of the Swarm is the most disappointing thing since my son.
>>
>>387503295
my wife's son*
>>
>>387500661
Is there an opening he can watch through or is he just watching surrounding flesh walls like the one behind him all day?
>>
>Are you prepared to go all the way with this, Alexei?
>Yes. Yes, I am prepared to go all the way, my good admiral.
>becomes infested
Bravo Blizzard
>>
>>387503295
>Heart of the Swarm is the most disappointing thing since my son.

fucking this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBO6yC5FdTM
>>
File: JimRaynor_SCR_HeadAnim.gif (3MB, 224x240px) Image search: [Google]
JimRaynor_SCR_HeadAnim.gif
3MB, 224x240px
>>387502434
"artistic liberty"
>>
>>387502638
>i cry cause Wc3 was successful
>>
>>387503778
Brought you by Christian League Against Sexual Sins.
>>
>>387503794
Spore will always come first.
Always.
But it gets competition.
>>
>>387503889
Is that really the best you can put together. You know you'd be much better off if you did not actually reply at all, right?

Also, as far as I'm concerned, WC3 was actually a good RTS and a great multiplayer RTS. I have nothing against it mechanically, and I don't have an issue with people actually enjoying the game on that basis alone.

I just believe that the whole narrative aspect of it was absolutely attrocious. The same goes for SC2 by the way. I don't mind the games were succesful, especially on multiplayer. But GOD they are fucking awful pieces of fiction.
>>
>>387504038
Tbh WC3 mechanics > SCBW mechanics. I expected Starcraft 2 to be a skinned wc3, but in HD, but it was a disappointment.
>>
>>387504202
>Tbh WC3 mechanics > SCBW mechanics.
I am not going to dispute that because I never was much more than a recreational RTS player and I haven't been playing them in any competetive form for well over a decade. I don't feel like I have any authority to judge this on any level that anyone who played those games could not do better.

It was never really my point either. I really, really have no ambition to shit on any of the Blizzard RTS from a mechanical standpoint. Though I can - on a purely personal level - say that unit control count limit was always a fucking retarded mechanics and I think the series benefited greatly from removing it for SC2.
>>
>>387499821

This. I thought WC3 was shit compared to the previous games.
>>
>>387502638
>This actually tells me that nothing that I will say will matter since you are already an inscure faggot arguing solely because somebody dared to not validate your garbage taste, but what ever. I'm bored.
Probably not, but the same applies to you too. I said this so you concentrate on your initial statement. I honestly don't care about why you apparently hate Warcraft 3.
>You don't see how vital parts of the storytelling are part of the storytelling? You do not understand how visuals and sound are part of the tools the game uses to tell a story?
Oh, but I do see how visuals and sound can be important for storytelling. I just wanted you to use more specific words than "atmosphere" or "tone".
>misguided pretense of being serious and epic
And this is where I disagree. It was never meant to be serious. "Epic"? Yes, and it achieves that with its cutscenes and music.
You just have to take a quick look at the dialogue. Look at Garithos, the guy is a complete retard that is just there for laughs. Look at how much of the dialogue is just there for fun. It was never meant to be super serious.
>hideous and incredibly cartoony
I like the art style. Yes, it is incredibly cartoony, but that is not a negative point even if you prefer it to be otherwise.
>it tried to present itself as serious, dark
No, it didn't.
>Even the CGI was mostly hugely disspointing.
Are you serious? Blizzard's CGI has always been excellent and WC3 is no exception to that. It's actually the only thing that they still do great.
>>
>>387504736
>I said this so you concentrate on your initial statement.
My initial statement, you absolute mongoloid, was that Blizzards storytelling standards are have been drastically decreasing. Which actually encompases three different major franchises.

>It was never meant to be serious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4rjTYHD330
Totally not meant to be serious guys. Comedy gold!
Come one, YOU DON'T BELIEVE IT. Yeah, it has some completely fucking retarded comical relief characters and jarringly bad motivations and shit: but that is not because it's not taking itself seriously.
That is what it means having a completely inconsistent TONE. Which was one of my arguments.

>I like the art style.
I don't give a fuck. A lot of people think Twilight has good writing and like the style.
You have awful taste.

>No, it didn't.
See above kid, and please fucking stop deluding yourself. The game has tonal problem. That does not shield it from criticism. Just because you slap some completely misplaced cartoony comedy line between those five brain-dead pathos filled SHIT about end of the world does not mean you can't be judged anymore.

>Blizzard's CGI has always been excellent and WC3 is no exception to that.
No. WC3's were FUCKING DISSAPOINTING. Again, everyone was creaming their pants with the Arthas betreyal, but everything past that was awful.

>It's actually the only thing that they still do great.
Have you not played Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2? No, they don't. They had not been doing good CGI for a very long good time.
They made Arthas Betreyal, then the intro to SC2 Wings of Liberty (which was good), and then the first good thing they have done since was announcement trailer for Overwatch.

Inbetween those, it was almost entirely garbage. maybe there was one or two half decent somewhere hidden in WoW, I don't know.
>>
>>387505514
You didn't like the intro to Wrath of the Lich King?
>>
>>387504736
>>it tried to present itself as serious, dark
>No, it didn't.
Remember that mission where you were culling a city because the people were infected with an undead plague? that whole mission was basically a Naked Gun gag.
>>
>>387505514
>My initial statement, you absolute mongoloid, was that Blizzards storytelling standards are have been drastically decreasing.
And I don't disagree with that, but you are a fool for thinking that it is not because of WoW's massive success and the subsequent merge with Activision. Or maybe you just like being contrarian and telling people "nuh uhh it was ACKYCHUALLY WC3 that ruined it all!"
>Totally not meant to be serious guys.
Do you think this serious and realistic? It's just edgy and "epic". This is not a grim dark setting. It's not a grim dark setting so deal with it. The game is filled to the brim with jokes and not the morbid kind of humor. It's NOT DARK. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the game apparently.
>The game has tonal problem.
No, what you have proven so far is that you don't like it and I honestly don't give a shit as I already said above. I want you to prove that Warcraft 1 AND 2 storytelling is better and you're just not doing that because you can't. Those stories are utter shit and couldn't be any more basic.
>No. WC3's were FUCKING DISSAPOINTING.
I honestly don't see it. You are the first person I see that has ever said something like that.
>Have you not played Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2?
I did and even if I hate everything that modern Blizzard has become I still have to admit that their cutscenes are still good.

If this is all you have to say and you would just keep repeating yourself then please just refrain from replying. I absolutely don't care about discussing whether some animations in a cutscene are off and this triggers your autism or whatever. I specifically asked you to stay on topic and you have done your best to avoid that.
>>
Would really like to play the campaign in Remastered but I refuse to give Blizzard $15. I could spend that on literally anything else.
>>
Is the AI improved in Remastered? Did third mission in original Zerg campaign yesterday and terran cpu opponent had its base full of siege tanks and just kept making them like madman. I don't remember AI doing this in original.
>>
>>387503295
I was so damn hyped for it, the intro cinematic was awesome, the first few missions were fun af, mp was alive and well, and then the story happened, I stayed up all night to play through wol, but I just gave up playing hots, I couldn't even put my finger on why, and I still haven't finished lotv
>>
>>387506627
Good, stick to your guns.
>>
By now the news of our defeat will have reached the Earth. The creatures we were sent here to tame are untamable, and the colonies we were sent to reclaim have proven stronger than we anticipated.

Whatever you may hear about what happened here, know this: Alexi did not die gloriously. I killed him. My pride killed him. And now it has consumed me as well. You will never see me again, Helena.

Tell our children that I love them, and that their father died defending their future.

Au revoir.

That was all from memory. I think I got most of it.
>>
>>387506591
>Do you think this serious and realistic?
Show me where I ever used the word "realistic".

>This is not a grim dark setting. It's not a grim dark setting so deal with it.
Buzzwords. I don't give a fuck about /tg/'s meaningless buzzwords for arbitrary genres. It's unbalanced and has an inconsistent, unpleasant tone that prevents it from being engaging and entertaining. You yourself just admited that it clearly attempts to be epic and edgy. But then it goes to fucking awful comic reliefs. That is tonal inconsistency, and there is no excuse for this.

You don't justify throwing piece of salted herrink into a strawberry sundae by saying "well it was not supposed to be a desert to begin with, get over it".

>I did and even if I hate everything that modern Blizzard has become I still have to admit that their cutscenes are still good.
If you don't see how INSANELY did the quality of the cinematography, use of music, tone, attention to detail, thematical focus completely and utterly change between SC1 and SC2 and think they still are roughly equally as good, then you are just not a good judge.

Intro to Brood War and Intro to Heart of the Swarm are on SO FUCKING DIFFERENT LEVELS of quality it's not even funny.

>If this is all you have to say and you would just keep repeating yourself then please just refrain from replying.
Dude, you repeat yourself because you don't have anything to say beyond "there is no such thing as tonal consistency and NO and I DON'T SEE IT."
>>
>>387507325
Let's assume you are right. Now show me how Warcraft 1 and 2 did everything better. I'm waiting. You actually won't do this.
>>
>>387507003
>I couldn't even put my finger on why
Aside from the writing?

Kerrigan making the missions piss easy. Enemies stop being scary when you can make Banelings pop outta thin air right in their faces and instagib most of the army.
>>
>>387505687
Warlords of Draenor's intro movie was pretty fucking great too.
>>
>>387507003
LotV is a solid 7/10 storywise until you reach the DBZ Kerrigan part.
>>
>>387507613
I already did.
They did better by not commiting the same mistakes.
They did not try to raise the stakes through overproduced CGI cutscenes that desperately clash with the rest of the style of the game.
They did not try to convey the high stake moments through game engine completely unsuitable for that task.
They did not try to make us care for characters while simultaneously using the same characters stupidity as a form of comical relief. They had their commical reliefs, but they never fucking made the important to the story, or pretend that the story is about them.
They used hand painted images and and hand painted sprites that did not actually clash in style.
They did not try to be edgy and dark and brooding at all, which was good because their hand-painted art style and commically cartoony sprites would not fit such tone.
They did not not stick a fucking herrink in the sundae.

Is it great or memorable storytelling? No.
Is it not fucking insultingly bad and clueless and proof that these people have no idea what they are doing? Yes.

Then it's better than what WC3 did.
>>
Daily fucking reminder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdtzFK7Vr2E
>>
>>387500661
MY CHILD
>>
>>387500661
MY MASTERS
>>
>>387500661
AYAYAY
>>
>>387505687
Fuck no, Pandara was way better
>>
>>387500661
PERRRRRRRRFECT
>>
>>387498832
I always thought Dugalle was Russian like Stukov, only just realized he was French
>>
>>387499295
yea my man for starcraft spin off and we got back to trench warefare terrans killing confederate traitors on earth just like in real life.
>>
>>387501032
Stukov was supposed to be keeping an eye on him.
>>
>>387503827
>>387502434
What did they change? Its literally a 1:1 copy except facing slightly away and they removed the DANGER sign
>>
>>387507108
The last two bits are wrong I think, but otherwise well done.
>>
>>387507108
No au reboot at the end
>>
>>387500715
Was he french or..?
>>
File: RaynorOverlap.jpg (61KB, 227x246px) Image search: [Google]
RaynorOverlap.jpg
61KB, 227x246px
>>387514608
His new face is much shorter. They basically removed his chin.
>>
>>387498832
the SJWs one, the year is 2234 and the only acceptable video games are retro games like pong, only there is no score keeping, any attempt to keep score results in 10 years of hard labor in the "reeducation and sensitivity" training camp.
>>
>>387504202
I think stutter stepping marines ruing that game. I tried to do it in sc1 and watched as they turned around in time just to get slaughtered.
>>
>>387519856
nah man its the same it just looks shorter because old raynors camera was more up close. Really take a hard look.
>>
File: RaynorDisgusting.jpg (80KB, 227x246px) Image search: [Google]
RaynorDisgusting.jpg
80KB, 227x246px
>>387520345
I'm in photoshop right now- the head is aligned perfectly. New Rayon's ears are huge and stick out, while they also rounded his other features. Also his skin is obviously much darker.
>>
File: DuGalle suicide.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DuGalle suicide.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>387498832
ripperoni
>>
>>387520532
New Raynor looks like an angry rat monkey.

Not saying I ever particularly cared for the original model, but this is a strange new direction and I wonder what they were thinking
>>
>>387520532
everything except for skin color is camera lens and the skin color is just the lighting trust me im on gimp right now

the devs worked with the original people who made the art.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.