[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it like to be a backer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: back.png (292KB, 490x450px) Image search: [Google]
back.png
292KB, 490x450px
What is it like to be a backer?
>>
>>387497274
Is it only in Japanese?
>>
It's just as funny as not being a backer unless you've got a massive case of buyer's remorse.
>>
File: 1501516688133.jpg (20KB, 330x250px) Image search: [Google]
1501516688133.jpg
20KB, 330x250px
>>387497274
Do you think Inafune will ever recover his image from this mess of a game & Kickstarter?
>>
>>387497449
Is that a real question? Comcept went under and had to get bought out by Level-5. There's a chance that the Red Ash game isn't even getting made anymore. The anime is a flop. It's a miracle Inafune hasn't been forced into retirement yet, but anything he puts out at this point is going to be under massive amounts of scrutiny.
>>
>>387497449
Seem he got a lot of Chinese investors. Which tends to be just a way to ignore taxes. So money front he's fine. Having side he never really seem to care. He was hardly ever truly involved in anything in any major way.
>>
>>387497274
wait for the 2,000 whales to stop funding chris roberts' motion-capture dalliance known as star citizen, and then ask them
>>
File: Untitled.png (253KB, 872x609px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
253KB, 872x609px
>>
File: dvd_snapshot_01.07.41.jpg (50KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
dvd_snapshot_01.07.41.jpg
50KB, 720x480px
>>387497274
I see both sides of the argument.

On the one hand, backers wanted the quality of a 4million dollar game and with 4million dollar quality merchandise.

On the other hand, Inafune wanted to make a budget game that could sustain itself with easy-to-make sequels for at least a decade.

Inafune's team was lazy. Even for the idea of a budget game, Mighty No9 is padded out by crates. The same crates you see level after level and Battalion's level is just a glorified crate level. In game design, crates are the most unimaginative prop that you could possibly think of. It's the go-to thing for anybody who can't think of a creative thing to put in their level. Megaman games always came up with original gimmicks to fill up their levels, things that made you go "wow..", Mighty No9 lacked that.

I actually believe it's a fun game, though horribly flawed in many ways. Mostly, it's judged unfairly by morons who can't think for themselves. The popular critics who started the "Mighty No9 is bad" manta point out all of the wrong reasons why MN9 is a bad game.
>>
If you are backing something, but at the same time care about the sum of money you gave enough to be mad when the kike does not pan out well: then you should have never backed anything up to begin with.

>>387497587
He'll probably just go back to some managerial position where he should have always been and where he isn't very visible, and go on with his life. He never was a creative autheur person to begin with. He mediocre illustrator which gave some people the impression that the is the big creative mind: but in reality, he is just a producer and a business man. And his position as such isn't I think particularly threatened. After all, MN9 may have been a bad game, but it was not a bad business.
>>
>>387497785
Had a mediocre final boss too.
>>
File: 1501429309906.jpg (19KB, 650x467px) Image search: [Google]
1501429309906.jpg
19KB, 650x467px
>>387497831
>completely destroying any and all good will his name ever had in one fell swoop
>make a game that continues to be the laughing stock of the industry a year after its release
>do so poorly your company goes under
>not bad business
>>
>>387498204
Trinity was a fine boss.

Perhaps a little too "get good" for people though. Trinity is like fighting Sigma in any of the X games, you have to move around quite a bit dodging attacks and learning what works right to beat her. Whereas a Wily final boss fight is generally about just spamming the right ability and tanking hits because "whatever, you'll outdamage wily and probably have a surplus of 5+ E-tanks anyways"

I don't know, maybe you aren't happy that Trinity's first form looks like a Spiritomb and the second form looks like a flower enemy from a King's Field game or Metroid Prime.
>>
Has /v/ had any GOOD experiences backing any game on Kickstarter? I backed Shenmue 3 and have a feeling it may not turn out well now.
>>
>>387498681
awesomenauts starrstorm
>>
File: kickstarter.gif (2MB, 390x219px) Image search: [Google]
kickstarter.gif
2MB, 390x219px
>>387497274
>>
>>387498434
Dude, he just conned people out of well over four millions. From his perspective - it's not a very long-term valid strategy but then again he does not need to have good autheur name because that was never his real main career calling. He got what - five years of very comfortable living out of it for himself and bunch of his friends, for virtually nothing, and with little reprecussions that he would really have to worry about.

I mean yeah: it could have gone better. Ideally the game wouldn't flop and he could have gotten twelve years instead of only for out of it.
But that is a part of doing business like this.

I'm not saying this is OK, morally and socially. I find his attitude abhorent. But sadly, he can and he did get away with it. And I can assure you that a lot of people will recognize it and will give him more jobs.
>>
>>387497274
Set it and forget it.
Backing things is like setting a really long microwave timer.

It's humming in the back of your mind, and you can check on the updates if you want.
But you can't eat your tendies until the time is up.

Also, it costs $20 to start the microwave.
>>
>>387498681
Tons. River City Ransom Underground is maybe my favorite beat em up ever, Adventures of Pip is really fun, Armikrog is exactly what I wanted it to be, Shantae is fine. Haven't actually got around to playing Hyper Light Drifter yet but people really like that game. Nelo and Strength of the Sword Ultimate aren't out yet but they look really fucking super good. Just like anything else, there's good stuff and bad stuff and sometimes you get games you don't care for, but there's plenty of quality to be had.
>>
>>387498989
>Haven't actually got around to playing Hyper Light Drifter yet but people really like that game
I'd like to try it too.

Did anyone here back Yooka Laylee? It's fairly cheap now and I'm interested in it. What did you guys think of it?
>>
>>387498989
>Haven't actually got around to playing Hyper Light Drifter yet but people really like that game.
I don't! Pirated it on release. Not abjectly awful, but exceptionally shallow and felt pretty bad to play because of the framerate (which has since been changed but that was long after I finished it)
Looking back on the kickstarter page after playing revealed that they basically delivered on none of what was promised besides the fact that it's a game that exists and it has a lot of imagery lifted wholesale from Evangelion. Speculation at the time was that the creator got really mopey about his heart disease or whatever. Overall it's on the more playable side of a 6/10 but the fact that rewards consisted of upgrade points and the occasional alternate colour combined with there being only three cutscenes which are in a plain video format in the game's root directory gave a pissing-in-the-wind feeling that leaves a million games also on steam that I'd suggest before it.
>>
>>387498681
>Has /v/ had any GOOD experiences backing any game on Kickstarter?
Yep.
Talking games only, I had chipped in for: FTL, Sunless Sea, Xenonauts, The Long Dark and Knock-Knock. Every single one of them turned out as good or better than I expected in the long run.

I'm still waiting to see how Kingdom Come and Pathologic will turn out, though as far as Pathologic Remake goes, Marble Nest alone was almost worth it.

As for games that I did not back, but turned out pretty good:
Showel Knight, Risk of Rain, Divinity: Original Sin, Lisa, Darkest Dungeon, Hollow Knight, Kentucky Route Zero, Chivalry, Conquistadors, if we count Indie Gogo then Factorio... all of that turned out good or decent.
Hell, I even got about 100 of hours of fun out of Elite.
>>
>>387499463
>Divinity: Original Si
Sell me on this game. It's cheap right now and I'm interested. It looks like Diablo 3, how does it compare to that? (I got bored and uninterested in D3 before I even finished the game).
>>
truly the gift that keeps on giving.
>>
File: blast hornet.png (1MB, 1255x1080px) Image search: [Google]
blast hornet.png
1MB, 1255x1080px
>>387497785
>always
>>
>>387500156
>Sell me on this game.
To be honest, it's not an easy thing for me to do, because I PERSONALLY did not like it that much. But my reasons were largely subjective.

It has also been ages since I played it.
I do remember that the base combat system, especially the use of environment, physics and elemental effects in this game was absolutely SUPERB. Combat, especially when magic was involved, generally felt incredibly satisfying (once you swallow the "game offers an open hub with tons of locations to explore, but in reality all but one of them is soft-level-locked, and which one is it has to be discovered by trial and error").
It's pretty big and very colorful, with a bunch of characters that are really varied, a bunch of choices to make, plenty of sidequests. At it's heart it's a cRPG and if you played any of those, it will remind you a bit of good old Infinity Era games.

>It looks like Diablo 3, how does it compare to that?
It's NOTHING like it. Diablo 3 is a looter hack-and-slash. Divinity OS is a turn-based party-based cRPG. No randomly generated levels, no loot and enemy grinding, not everything is solved through combat (though combat IS not completely avoidable), big emphasis on quests, dialogues, relatively focused story. Combat revolves around planning ahead and combining advantages of individual memebers of your team, not on mindlessly clicking away and spamming activatable powers.
There is a solid degree of environmental puzzles too.

It takes place in a very colorful, very light-hearted fantasy world and has a lot of sense of humor. And a lot of the side-quests are actually character driven, and NPC's you meet have their own stories and personality.
It's really unlike Diablo. More like Icewind meets a bit of wacky humor.
>>
>>387500386
Mega Man X3 is just a little less shitty than Mighty N9.
>>
>>387498681

Theres no way Shenmue 3 wll be good. Likely the whole game is in that Village + Forest. They won't have the budget to actually do an urban environment like 2, which means it's not really Shenmue at that point.
>>
>>387497274
MN9 is the disappointment that keeps on disappointing.
>>
>>387498681
contrarians here don't like it but Pillars of Eternity/Wasteland 2
>>
>>387499068
I backed YL. I thought it was great, dunno what everyone's deal is. They also made some needed improvements in post release patches, so it's even better than when I played the majority of it.

Only complaint I agree with are those about the last boss.
>>
>>387497587
>miracle
Inafune is still highly regarded among Japs.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.