[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing shooter video games damages the brain, study suggests

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: nigel.png (423KB, 960x501px) Image search: [Google]
nigel.png
423KB, 960x501px
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/08/07/playing-shooter-video-games-damages-brain-study-suggests/

So basically vidya will give you dementia later in life. How do you like that ?
>>
>>387488245
>CSGO and Pubgtards have brain damage

Who could've known
>>
>Previous research has shown that people with depleted amounts of white matter in their hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for orientation and for recalling past experience, face a higher risk of neurological illnesses including Alzheimer’s, depression and schizophrenia.
How the fuck DON'T video games help you to get better 3D orientation and memory?
Well, I guess modern CoD kiddies very well might have brain damage. But the games with complex 3D levels that require a lot of memorization, like, say, Souls series can only have the opposite effect.
>>
Does it matter when people who play those games are already mentally handicapped.
>>
>>387488465
>Souls series

It probably damages the brain just like FPS games
>>
>>387488465
Its actually games with tons of handholding that damage the hippocampus.
>>
Yeah, since playing shooters is all about the memory part of the brain
lmao
People who play shooters have nothing to lose to begin with
>>
>>387488245
RPG Master race
>>
>>387488747
Nah. The article says it happens because the CoD kiddies don't even actually memorize the layout of the maps they play on. They use the landmarks to orientate. The Souls games imprint the actual 3D map of the levels into your brain, with all the treasure and enemy placement included.
>>
>>387488245
>eggs are good!
>no wait they're bad!
>actually, they are good!
>but now we know they are bad!
>except that was obsolete data, they are good!
Just take everything in moderation, shooter games are more likely to kill me by cause of suicide rather than slowly degrading my brain
>>
>>387488245
leaving EU will make us stronger:the liar
hows the pound Brits?
>>
File: 1502967551682.jpg (57KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1502967551682.jpg
57KB, 645x773px
>tfw already have dementia in the family
FUCK
>>
File: st.jpg (192KB, 560x426px) Image search: [Google]
st.jpg
192KB, 560x426px
>TFW grand strategy and RTS
>>
>>387488245
https://www.mpg.de/research/video-games-brain

>Video gaming causes increases in the brain regions responsible for spatial orientation, memory formation and strategic planning as well as fine motor skills. This has been shown in a new study conducted at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development and Charité University Medicine St. Hedwig-Krankenhaus.

lmao get fucked retard
>>
>>387488448
Oh he meant fps. for a while I thought he was talking about shmups thank god.
>>
File: 1462948097892.jpg (159KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
1462948097892.jpg
159KB, 840x623px
It's been at least 20 full years of experts warning people that vidya will harm your brain

20 years of correlation implies causation studies and misinformation and people still believe that shit.

how many years until vidya stops being a boogeyman, /v/?
>>
I play more platformers and RPGs anyway
>>
>>387490336
when the medium gets even bigger.
>>
Well I'm sure you have to play a ton of fps before it's a prob-
>Ninety hours of playing shooter games tended to lead to hippocampus atrophy

Whew
>>
>study was done showing RPG and quest markers caused this
>hur its fps now guys
>>
>>387488245
>shooterpooters are literal brainless
Fightan remain godlike.
>>
>asked them to play a variety of popular shooter games like Call of Duty, Killzone and Borderlands 2
No wonder they they got the results they got
>>
we already know this judging from the Halo/CoD/Battlefield/CS playerbase
>>
I don't care what a study says, I'm going to drink like a fish and play vidya until I croak. As for dementia my grandmother had it and I took care of her for a decade. It was hell. If I ever start to think I'm losing it, I'm ending it. I've been telling my family, friends and wife this for years and they all understand.
>>
>>387488245
They ran this study with shit like COD

I want them to run it with an actual skill-based FPS. Fuck gimme some Quake and I'll believe your study.
>>
>>387491214
the medium is already multiple times bigger than movies
>>
>>387488245
>Gaming has been shown to stimulate another part of the brain called the caudate nucleus, more than the hippocampus.
>The region acts as a form of “autopilot” and also regulates humans’ understanding of reward.
i.e.
>play simple disengaging games
>brain orients to simple disengaging tasks

What a twist.
>>
>>387488245
Cool, then I can replay VtM:B for the first time as many times as I want
>>
>>387491815
Well, what shooter requires you to manually navigate it these days?
>>
File: 1495507886506.jpg (42KB, 363x207px) Image search: [Google]
1495507886506.jpg
42KB, 363x207px
>>387488245
>>387489056
It's all about how you want to distribute your brain's stat points
>>
File: 3d9.jpg (6KB, 224x217px) Image search: [Google]
3d9.jpg
6KB, 224x217px
>>387488245
It's only games that handhold you to your objectives and use minimaps and objective markers.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.