[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games that were subtly creepy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

File: portal.jpg (322KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
portal.jpg
322KB, 1440x1080px
>>
But hey thats just a theory
A GAAAAAAAAAME THEORY

thanks for watching :)
>>
>>387483045
This had a lil bit.
>>
>>387483045
This, i always get un-nerved when the game tells me not to do something. like "No dont go that way" it just resonates with me.

The ratman dens especially made me feel uncomfortable. a shame portal 2 just killed the tone completly, all the extra characters took away that isolated "is somebody watching me" feeling
>>
>>387483045
The first game always had this quiteness with it. You just stand in a test chamber and hear nothing but the atmospheric sounds. that was the creepy part for me
>>
>>387489284
Portal 2 had some great atmosphere, but there's something about Orange Box era games that had a distinguished eerieness to them. Even TF2 and CSS feel creepy when the servers are relatively empty.
>>
File: Flecktarn_Cat.jpg (31KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
Flecktarn_Cat.jpg
31KB, 720x602px
>>387491091
>Evem TF2
So I'm not the only one.
I used an empty Dustbowl server to test some models and the whole time I just felt like I needed to hurry up, take the screenshots, and get out of there fast.
After revisions I just used a server with players and did my photo op during setup.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>
>>387491374
Fucking this and the entire walkway to the chamber of the metal cap.
>>387491334
I found Tf2 creepy in kind of a good way. I guess it's just relatively unsettling being alone in a map.
>>
>>387483045
>subtly
>>
>>387491091
So much this. There is something that makes me feel uncomfortable in pretty much every Valve title, yet none of them are horror games. Even Dota, especially when you read the lore.
>>
>>387491584
Some of the aperture lore is pretty spooky desu
>>
>subtly
I was scared as fuck the first time playing through portal.
then again I'm extremely easily spooked.
>>
File: maxpaynevidya.jpg (408KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxpaynevidya.jpg
408KB, 1920x1200px
>>387483045
Obviously
>>
File: xQrAz.jpg (155KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
xQrAz.jpg
155KB, 1680x1050px
>>387487994
>portal 2 just killed the tone completly, all the extra characters took away that isolated "is somebody watching me" feeling
I think the beginning of the game before meeting Wheatly for the second time and the aperture spheres part before finding Glados had the same eeriness the first game had
>>
>>387491334
I think it has to do with how the maps in valves games are designed. All the rooms have strong borders that lock you in and distant low res background that look like cardboard cutouts. Since the engine lets you fly around it spectator mode you know how actually the map is all hollow and empty outside. This creates almost a claustrophobic feeling of being stuck on a small island of civilization in an endless ocean of void all alone, completely.
>>
File: 1489199636682.jpg (36KB, 689x693px) Image search: [Google]
1489199636682.jpg
36KB, 689x693px
>>387485520
Being the first and only brainlet theory I've ever watched. That shit about the companion cube scared the fuck out of me and gave me nightmares.

>>387487994
>>387489284
>>387491091

So much this. The games become so lifeless and surreal when you alone, almost like someone is watching you. Playing HL2 on the Path to Nova Prospekt, smashing crates on the coast had such a surreal feeling. It should be relaxing when you're alone in these games but it illicits the opposite feeling. Attempting with sudden urgency to find contact with another NPC or player.

I think portal was not only a tutorial on how to subtly teach a player, a foreign concept and have them use their new information on the concept to solve unfamiliar problems. But it was also a test experiment on the players emotions when they're "alone" for such a long period, feelings of paranoia, anxiety, and possibly psychosis. I just think that it was sugar coated with "lol the cakes a lie xd" and "glaDos is quirky and funni"
>>
I feel like all the old 3D GTAs have this very strange feeling to them, like everything is slightly off. Like when you enter CJ's house in SA or the hotel in VC. The areas are so quiet and dead it's weird. I also always used to feel uncomfortable when the game would load with the theme music whenever you started playing. Seemed ominous.
>>
File: feels_itsallovernow.png (296KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
feels_itsallovernow.png
296KB, 500x500px
>went full autism mode and racked up 3000 hours in Garry's Mod, most of it just dicking around in singleplayer
>no longer get the eerie source feeling
>tfw I realize that the seclusion can't scare you when you become the seclusion
>>
File: nazidog_officer.png (81KB, 350x237px) Image search: [Google]
nazidog_officer.png
81KB, 350x237px
>>387483045
CoD WAW.
This game was extremely ominous. The menus too, the music was so unsettling. You could just listen to the music and despite it being sung in a foreign language you could immediately take away the words "Death" and "Despair".

If you want something specific, the second Nazi Zombies map, Asylum has stuck with me to this day. Playing it alone is actually intimidating. Walking down the halls, it's so dead, so quiet and just musty... Everything there is decomposing, rotting. You'll hear drills, you'll hear the screams of small children and you will quiver. It's something powerful indeed.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.