[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the appeal of this series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.png (2MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
2MB, 1440x900px
Seems better than FF, but still
>>
>>387412771
Nostalgia. Powerful nostalgia.
>>
The simplicity and familiarity, it seems.
>>
>>387412910
I played DQ9 and that game was pretty souless.

RPGs without party members with personalities are my worst nightmare
>>
>>387412771
Seems pretty boring to me, I couldn't tell you.
>>
It's an NES JRPG that has stayed an NES JRPG but just gets better graphics. Also the fact that it's the first console JRPG as well. It holds a lot of nostalgia for Japanese people.
>>
>whats the appeal
Toriyamafags
>>
Fun rpg with cool enemy design and multiple games with different playstyles to prevent itself from getting too boring throughout its continuous installments, unlike the rpg side of the mainline pokemon games
>>
Japan loves how simple and easy the combat is, enough that anyone can get into it.
>>
>>387413087
This. Simplicity isn't necessarily bad. There's simple pleasure in grinding and slowly growing more powerful/being able to afford stronger gear
>>
Play them and find out.
>>
>>387413560
I can't go trough of 40h of an RPG without party members with personality, seems like hell to me.

Dont use the npcs or story excuse
>>
>>387412771
One of the last pure jrpgs. Now that Kiseki has become haremshit, DQ is the only classic left of its obsolete kind.
>>
>>387413682
Not all of them are like that. 4 and 8 in particular have party members with lots of personality.
>>
>>387413089
>>387413682
Play other games in the series and you won't have that problem.
>>
>>387412771
It's basically a turn based RPG series that doesn't fuck with all of its elements, unlike FF. The first game has a very simple story, princess is kidnapped, go save the princess, then go kill the big bad guy. You don't get any party members in the first one either, you grind for money and experience and equipment all for yourself. The music is nice, and enemies, while some are deadly, are usually on the cute side.

Anyway I think DQ1 is the definition of dragon quest because every one after that adds a few new things to the mix, a better story, harder battles, more party members, jobs, etc.
>>
>>387413804
5 has a great cast with Debora,Parry,Madchen,Sancho and Tuppence.
>>
The Dragon Quest franchise has always been more about gameplay over story as opposed to the Final Fantasy franchise since the release of 7.

Also
>Akira Toriyma design
>there's actually more roleplay elements than FF
>much more popular in the rule 34 department than FF
>>
>>387413560
Don't respond to tripfags.
>>
>>387412771
its simple and lets you pick a fuck buddy and adventure with your offspring
>>
Should I start with V, VIII, or IX?
>>
>>387415675
If you like having a great party with good story
>V and VIII
If you play for the gameplay
>IX
>>
>>387415069
>DQ
>gameplay
>literally press X to win
>>
DQ: You're given a lofty goal and it's generally left up to you to adventure and explore until you find out how to achieve it.
FF: The story carries you from scene to scene, directing you where to go next, you often don't even know the ultimate goal until way later in the game.
>>
>>387412771
Going on adventures to save the world with a ragtag party.
>>
>>387415069
>since the release of 7
You mean 6.
>>
>>387416339
Do you want to die to Baramos? Because that's how you die to Baramos.
>>
File: Dragon-Quest-XI-Artwork-3.jpg (758KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-Quest-XI-Artwork-3.jpg
758KB, 1920x1080px
Bought a 3ds to play 7 and 8 until 11 comes out
>>
>being too underage to appreciate well-beloved classics
what has this board become?
>>
>>387413089
I found DQ9 to be my favorite, actually. I really love a customizable party. Makes it feel more personal to me.
>>
>>387417858
just grind more lol
>>
>>387418073
God fucking damn the DQXI hero looks so bad, even compared to the other characters in his own game.
>>
>>387419068
he isnt that bad anon
>>
they have very charming casts
>>
File: DQ7-Title.jpg (284KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DQ7-Title.jpg
284KB, 1280x720px
>>387419401
7 had shit cast though
>>
>>387412771

They are the seminal JRPG series that stays consistent and doesn't do the wacky bullshit modern FF seems to do. Makes them great in my book.
>>
>>387419586
7 was shit all around
>>
>>387418073
What if I told you only the PS4 version was getting an English release?
>>
>>387416635
FF has always been a perfect example of what not to do in making an RPG.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.