[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can 3D Sonic work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

How can 3D Sonic work?
>>
Stop trying to make everyone Sonic game an epic
Stop trying to sell to the "edgy adolescent, this hedgehog just kissed a human but it's 2deep4u" audience
Sega just takes itself too seriously. It's a fucking blue hedgehog that goes fast. It doesn't need to always be saving the fucking world, it's okay for it to be cheesy and fun. Even when their mascot DOES have its own racing game, it can't just be fun silly karting - your car evolves into a boat which evolves into a plane, and the racetrack crumbles apart between laps because sonic is COOL!
>>
>>387377370
>every sonic game*
God damn it.
But think about this, too - who's the audience for the Fast & Furious movies? It's a series (eight out of ten movies so far) with the same shit in each one, trash CGI and one dimensional actors - why? Because it's COOL! And what's the target audience for a lot of these movies? Tweens, kids in middle school who think it's COOL to be fast and serious all the time
>>
>>387377370
adventure did it and still felt goofy and fun
>>
File: 1502917653212m.jpg (73KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1502917653212m.jpg
73KB, 1024x576px
>>387377370
The tried this, it was called Sonic boom. A game so terrible it led people to vandalise stores and mace people.
>>
>>387377370
People like this need to be purged. You're just mad because the game caters to me and not to you, you fucking fat ugly out of touch neckbearded cuck. Go fucking kill yourself you ugly piece of shit. If you want to meet up so I can kick your shit give me an address, thanks.
>>
>>387377110
That's a tough one, especially since people only really discuss what they shouldn't do, which amounts to practically everything Sega has tried
>>
Easy: Spinoffs.
>People want Classic Sonic games, Boost games AND Adventure games
>Designate a character for each
>Sonic can stay 2D Classic-style
>Blaze can have Boost-style
>Shadow can have Adventure style
>Characters can appear in each others faces as unlockables, side characters, etc.
>You can now make Adventure 3 combining all styles if you want
There, I made it work.

Bonus stage:
>Babylon Rogues get a new Riders-style game galled "Babylon Riders"
>Rouge/Knuckles gets a treasure hunting game (or maybe stealth for rouge)
>Silver gets a game like DMC or LoZ, but using his powers instead of weapons
>You can get a free chao garden app on all of your devices to view your chao through an online service, and all of the newer games can connect to it if you have a connection
>>
>>387378560
Sonic Boom was shit, because Big Red Button thought they were gonna make a PS4/Xbone game, but they had to make it for the WiiU because of a contract SEGA had. Thus they had to spend almost the entire dev cycle to make sure the WiiU can handle the thing without blowing it up.
>>
like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paaz16Nw20
>>
>>387381180
Utopia looks like trash though. Without decent level design, the game would be complete shit.
>>
>>387378560
Actually it was called Sonic Colors and it got pretty good reception. It didn't quite hit the ideal balance but I'd shrug off the cringier bits as stuff for kids than be confused as to who thought any of that shit was cool. Adventure 1's tone with the moment-to-moment character writing of Colors would work with me.
>>
>>387381379
*I'd rather shrug off
>>
BULLET

TIME

DRIFTING
>>
>>387381507
Secret Rings
>>
>>387381327
Its just a tech demo to show off how the movement and scripting works also it's fun to just run around the sandbox which is an achievement in itself imo
>>
Adventure and Sonic R were fairly decent attempts at 3D Sonic, if they can just take one of those concepts and improve both the level design and the controls then they might get something good.
>>
>>387377110
Unleashed day levels
>>
>>387377110
Open world parkour-based platforming designed around dense 3D environments.

I want to be clear when I say open world: I don't mean massive areas full of nothing. The world map should actually be fairly small for an open world game and also constrained, probably an island, with the environment being heavily 3D with a ton of vertical movement. What I want is a game where zones flow from one to another instead of being segmented levels. This does two things: 1) it doesn't interrupt the flow with a goal ring, adding up the score and transition to the next level, 2) it allows for far more exploration since the player can backtrack at-will, and just fuck around in completed areas if they want. I don't think Sonic needs to be super-duper fast; a base speed roughly the same as the Adventure games works just fine without needing to give Sonic a "press X to go fast" button. Speed should be the result of giving the player as many movement options as possible and challenging him to master them.

But in general, the biggest flaw in 3D Sonic games is that they think too 2D. Even in 3D sections, each game is about just going forward in linear corridors instead of exploring a truly 3D space.
>>
>>387377110
It already has

Just make a 3D sonic game with only 3D levels. No other characters, and no side-scrolling levels

Colors and Lost World have god-awful Sidescrolling stages
>>
>>387381969
>No other characters
But why tho
>>
>>387381969
>>387382035
Other characters are fine as long as they play similarly enough to Sonic. The problem with the Adventure games wasn't the different characters, it was that they played too differently from Sonic.
>>
File: VjTPrNc.png (249KB, 552x728px) Image search: [Google]
VjTPrNc.png
249KB, 552x728px
>>387377110
yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk
>>
>>387377110
You make it like the Genesis games but in 3D. Something Sega has yet to try.
>>
>>387381621
remove unlocking powers with menus, selecting levels with menus, not having a clear objective, padding out the game with endless miniquests that reuse the same objective.

Want to pad the runtime of a sonic game, then remove the save file and make it a challenge to beat in one sitting.
>>
ditch modern entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paaz16Nw20
>>
File: Blaze.the.Cat.full.1502471.jpg (451KB, 841x1030px) Image search: [Google]
Blaze.the.Cat.full.1502471.jpg
451KB, 841x1030px
>>387381969
>No other characters

Fuck that shit.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.