[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shadowrun series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 914y5GhPeEL.jpg (907KB, 2003x2560px) Image search: [Google]
914y5GhPeEL.jpg
907KB, 2003x2560px
So I've been looking at this and I'm quite interested (mostly in dragonfall) but I just don't know where to start. I don't want to don't want to jump into drangonfall and ruin the other game's stories you know or miss any fun references
>>
>>387376354
>snes
>never look back
>>
The first game is shit, almost like a beta for the sequels, just start with Dragonfall.
>>
>>387376437
I don't wanna deal with an older game mechanics or through in to many hours (I don't really have all that much free time) so should I just go with Returns or is jumping into dragonfall ok
>>
>>387377228
But will I be missing out on story stuff (this is like my main concern)
>>
>>387376437
>>387377413
Also don't forget Sega version if you want to experience actual "runs" but the game is not for everyone.
>>
>>387377479

The stories are unrelated in all 3 PC/mobile games. Dragonfall has a handful of pointless references to SR.

Trust me, start with Dragonfall.
>>
>>387377583
The series itself or just the Sega version and what do you mean by that
>>
>>387377676

Listen to this anon, OP. The first game was Harebrained Schemes getting their bearings. Everything afterwards is leagues better.
>>
>>387377676
Thanks senpai
>>
>>387377745
SR Sega version takes time and some (or a lot) of grinding but you get to experience some aspects of SR universe.

I wouldn't recommend to start with it but please consider playing it.
>>
>>387376354
>Be tabletop player
>Love SR vidya, but have never actually delved into the books.
>Read 5e
>Turned off by the crunch

I mean, I got really spoiled by playing World of Darkness, but still. I feel like you really need to play an optimal build to get anywhere, where as in other games, going for fluff over crunch is usually ok.
>>
>>387378013
I'll consider it if I ever find the time thanks for the info
>>
>>387378162
They have Shadowrun Anarchy, which was a rules light variant. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but maybe you'll like it better.
>>
>>387378162
How is the table top scene by the way and how different are the games from it
>>
>>387377479
I recommend you to start with Returns, if you get bored, move to the Dragonfall.
>>
>>387379509
Will I miss out on anything if I go dragonfall then play return after (storywise)
>>
>>387379251
I wouldn't know for SR. I've read the core rulebook, but I don't know the fine details like those more versed into it.

There's quite a few additional books in the version, though opinions seemed to be mixed on them in /srg/ on /tg/.
>>
>>387379251
Scenewise it's pretty healthy at the moment. It's not Dungeons and Dragons of course, but it's not bad.

The ruleset from 5e deviates pretty heavily from stuff you'd be used to from the games. Wireless is the new hot shit and you no longer have to jack into everything to hack it. There's a ton of other changes but that's probably the biggest one.
>>
>>387380409
I got cha I made a thread on /tg/ but I'll try the other to
>>
You can start with Dragonfall. You'll want to play Hong Kong after, if you liked DF. Enjoy. The music is awesome btw.
>>
>>387380552
What's the die system like
>>
>>387380731
I knooow dude that's what got me looking at the series in the first place
>>
Shadowrun Returns isn't as bad as people say it is.

I mean, it pales in comparison to the sequels, surely. But it's not a terrible game. If you want to play the sequels first, go ahead, but if you decide you want more Shadowrun afterwards, then going back to the first game will just be a disappointment.

I personally thought the series got better with each successive game; Hong Kong being the best.
>>
>>387378162

Play Anarchy. It's not an excellent system by any stretch, but it's easy enough to expand and pretty simple to learn.
>>
>>387379927
No, but it will be hard to force yourself to play Returns after getting used to Dragonfall's much more fleshed out gameplay.
>>
>>387376354
Haven't read the rest of the thread but I will assume you've already heard this a million times already because this is the light and the truth, but you can reasonably skip Returns as it has the weakest story and gameplay. Then you can play Hong Kong and Dragonfall in any order you want since the Dragonfall references in HK are really minor and there's no direct story connection. Hong Kong has arguably the best gameplay (Except pacing), and Dragonfall by and large has the best pacing/writing/characters.

Shadowrun Returns isn't complete trash but you're not missing out by skipping it. If you've got an unstoppable boner for Shadowrun you could just play the games in order.
>>
>>387381048
How long is returns
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.