[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VNs are not videogames

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: 566789569923.png (291KB, 324x321px) Image search: [Google]
566789569923.png
291KB, 324x321px
VNs are not videogames
>>
He rescues the day from sure destruction
>>
>>387375279
This is the theme song
>>
This is the theme song
>>
File: 1486758770213.jpg (33KB, 402x529px) Image search: [Google]
1486758770213.jpg
33KB, 402x529px
>>387375213
but what is a videogame?
>>
>>387375279
H-HYEAAALP
>>
>>387375415

not VNs
>>
>>387375321
>>387375318
Of Jimmy Neutron
>>
with a knack for invention
>>
File: 1483226058955.jpg (63KB, 640x620px) Image search: [Google]
1483226058955.jpg
63KB, 640x620px
>>387375415
I want to ____ that bunny.
>>
>>387375213
I beg to differ, even without too much input, being inserted into a game makes the story much more compelling than just watching it.
>>
>>387375213
>you make decisions that affect the outcome
>it has a fail state (bad ends)
It fits the definition of video game
>>
>>387375796

So board games and DVD menus are video games now?
>>
>>387375213
I disagree
>>
File: Skeet.png (125KB, 281x333px) Image search: [Google]
Skeet.png
125KB, 281x333px
Reminder that he did nothing wrong
>>
What are some """games""" that'd be better off as a visual novel? I'd say Persona should.
>>
check my 7
>>
>>387375956
no matter how assblasted you get, people are going to keep posting about vns
>>
>>387376120
Wasn't assblasted?

Just pointing out your logic is dumb.
>>
>>387376062
>Skeet takes a chance on Jimmy, Sheen and Carl because they're young and need money, a situation he was likely in at one point
>Sheen and Carl do just fine. They're model employees who happily do their jobs and treat their customers and fellow employees with respect
>But Jimmy is having trouble adjusting
>First, he refuses to input orders into the machine, messing up the company's numbers and potentially losing profits
>Next, he acts insubordinate when Skeet points out some spilled salt on the ground, which he cheekily refers as "Sodium Chloride" not once, but twice, showing blatant disrespect for authority
>Skeet then makes him stand outside dressed as a burger and shout slogans for the restaurant, with the intent of both discouraging such behavior again and helping Jimmy better learn how to deal with people

And what does Jimmy do? Does he accept his new duties, realize that he was out of line, and then apologize to his boss and go back to work with a new appreciation for his job?

Nope.

>Instead, he snaps, and completely remodels the restaurant without any permission whatsoever
>While this is already a terrible thing to do, not only does the restaurant's environment become sterile and lifeless, it also ends up going haywire after one customer mentions that he prefers another restaurant
>The restaurant then quite literally gets up and destroys any and all competition, not only endangering lives, but also destroying numerous buildings and causing McSpanky's corporate to no doubt get slapped with endless lawsuits for the restaurant's role in nearly destroying the entire town's (or maybe even the entire world, had it not been stopped) food supplies
>And when it's all said and done, what does Jimmy do? Does he accept that he's the bad guy, try to restore order by fixing the restaurant, and help pay for the damages?
>Nope, he just sends it to the sun. Meanwhile Skeet is most likely fired, if not outright arrested, for his role in this

Jimmy was a monster.
>>
File: Pyre_Wallpaper_01.jpg (891KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Pyre_Wallpaper_01.jpg
891KB, 1920x1080px
>>387376095
I'm just gonna slip in here now before somebody says something fucking stupid about magic basketball and tell them to git fucking gud.
>>
>>387375956
Board games aren't video, do they're obviously not video games (unless it was like Monopoly: The Video Game or something). DVD menus still don't have a fail state, but at least it's better than you actually saying board games.
>>
Not a video game = Anything I don't like
>>
>>387375956
>played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a monitor or other display.
There, feel better now? And I'm not aware of any DVD menu where you can lose and get a bad end you faggot
>>
Honestly, who cares? You play them on video game systems. May as well let people discuss them.

Is Ace Attorney a video game? Is Zero Escape? Is the Walking Dead? Is Gone Home? The real question is, does it matter? People enjoy playing them and want to discuss them.
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
29KB, 480x360px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLMz3rM7Jc

HOW DID WE GO FROM THIS...
>>
>>387376427
There's no fail state in Kirby's epic yarn. Is it still a video game?
>>
Battle Royals are not video games
>>
File: 1418763811563.png (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1418763811563.png
18KB, 500x500px
VNs get screwed everywhere.
>/v/ shrieks that VNs aren't video games
>/a/ shrieks that VNs aren't anime or manga
>/lit/ shrieks that VNs aren't literature
>/tv/ shrieks that VNs aren't cinematic
>/jp/ is slow as fuck and populated by the same 50 anons who spam the same comments and memes over and over without adding anything new to the discussion
Fuck this place.
>>
>>387375415
a challenge with rules
>>
>>387375956
Bad endings don't count as fail states. Good endings as well. Success and Failure must be obtainable in a relatively short challenge or manner.
>>
I've always operated under the same 2 criteria on whether or not to consider something a "video game".

1. Does the game output information through any digital, visual medium
2. Can player input influence the game towards a "fail state"

While fail states can be vague, it usually involves a traditional "game over" or "you lose" screen, or an inability to progress due to a lack of player skill/knowledge.

With this in mind, I believe that whether or not a Visual Novel can be considered a video game depends entirely on how much player input can influence the narrative.
For example, Muv-Luv Alternative doesn't allow for any player input, and is merely a digital picture book.
Some visual novels, though, allow for player choices to result in a "bad end", a fail state, And I'd go as far as to say they're a very simple form of video game.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.