[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this is NOT what a good platformer looks like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: soniccd.webm (1MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
soniccd.webm
1MB, 800x450px
this is NOT what a good platformer looks like
>>
>>387368503
legit worst part of Sonic CD, it's the equivalent of Lion King's "I just can't wait to be king" stage
>>
File: IMG_20170816_192334.jpg (190KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170816_192334.jpg
190KB, 1280x720px
I dont know man, it's pretty good to me
>>
>>387369656
I think a good number of Lion King's stages would compete with that one.
>>
It seems you're too stupid to properly control Sonic's trajectory after hitting a spring, OP.
>>
CD was definitely the low point of the genesis titles, they wasted the disk on shit, cutscenes and alternate versions of levels, how about instead of alternate version of the same level they maybe should have given us more levels.

Sonic CD was a mistake, Sonic 2 was much better, Dr Eggman was a mistake, Dr Robotnik is the true bad guy.
>>
I don't know why people think CD is bad. It shits all over 1 and 2.
>>
File: gitgud.gif (1MB, 270x235px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.gif
1MB, 270x235px
>>387368503
>waah
>waaah
>Why can't I hold right and win!??!?!?!
>Sanic CD sux
>Le bad level desing
>>
>>387368503
git gud
>>
Should've taken more notes from the level designers working on Sonic 2
>>
File: soniccd2.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
soniccd2.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>387371550
no
>>
>>387372108
Yea.
>>
>>387372108
>Here's a webm of me being retarded to prove it
>>
>>387372108
and you fucking suck so god damn bad stop embarassing me
>>
>>387372108
>>387368503

Polygon-tier gamers getting caught on bumpers isn't the reason the platformer isn't good. The platformer isn't good because it actively discourages flow and forward momentum in favour of trying to figure out an exit from the spaghetti junction you're in, with a character that isn't suited for high jumps and precision platforming. The player frequently gets told to navigate leftward, downward, upward, and shown what seem to be hard-to-reach alternate routes behind walls or through the ceiling or room, 'secrets' that are actually the ends of routes that started way earlier on and can lead the player backwards. You can 'git gud' with enough memorisation but you can also 'git gud' in games like Mega Man 3 or Donkey Kong Country 2 or Sonic & Knuckles, and when you reach an optimal pace in those games they still provide an interesting series of mini-challenges and changes to the game's formula. Sonic CD feels more like the designers put shit all over the place and said "well the players will probably figure it out and have fun, the art and sound team can gloss over it all if need be".
>>
>>387371664
The bad level design is a legitimate claim not on the fact you spend more time platforming but because you're suppose to build the speed to time travel but the obstacles are counter intuitive
>>
File: 1495049604695.png (681KB, 762x706px) Image search: [Google]
1495049604695.png
681KB, 762x706px
>>387372108
>he can't even play pinball
>>
>>387372764
Wow
It's almost
As if
The obstacles are there to make time travel not a trivial thing to do
WOW....
>>
Sonic CD isnt good, so you'd be right
>>
>>387368503
>>387372108

>Here are some webms showing my lack of anything resembling reflexes or critical thinking!
>Bad game, huh?
>>
>>387372921
Great thing for that time limit too right? I love how a series based on momentum based gameplay was changed so you would have to focus on exploration so you can find enough space to time travel
You can't add a design mechanic thats in direct opposition of your series entire gameplay aspect and think it's good
>>
>>387372108
Those bumper placements right below eachother are pretty annoying to be honest.

They should've spaced them out abit each time you go up because not even Sonic Spinball is that unfair with how poorly placed the bumpers are.
>>
>>387373221
Time resets when you time travel you retard
>>
>>387368503
Good thing nobody says Sonic CD is a good platformer.
>>
>>387372715
>"well the players will probably figure it out and have fun, the art and sound team can gloss over it all if need be"
That was Knuckles Chaotix actually. I still had fun with it.
>>
do time travel signs reset when you go forward and then backward in time? it's the only reason i can think to willingly go to the future
>>
>>387370427
Aw come on now, man. It only counts as my fault if you tell me it's actually a spoiler.
>>
>>387372715
You said it better than I ever could.
>>
>>387373514

With CD they tried to gloss over the level design with the presentation. With Chaotix the big gaping wound was the partner system, and the developers' band-aid was making the level design 90% similar across the board - wide, empty, maze-like, mostly devoid of enemies and hazards that would cause additional damage or inconvenience to the overencumbered player.
>>
File: img40.gif (10KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
img40.gif
10KB, 256x224px
>>387369656

Fucking hell that goddamn stage. Fuck.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.