[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some games that let you use your intellect to win?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

File: doom.png (2MB, 1429x893px) Image search: [Google]
doom.png
2MB, 1429x893px
What are some games that let you use your intellect to win?
>>
>>387354438
how does Doom do this?
>>
>>387354505
It doesn't
>>
>games
>intellect
pick one
>>
>>387354505
Lol wrong picture, I meant to post a picture of the witch 3
>>
>>387354438
Any game that requires strategy/tactics which is 99% of all games. Too bad that the more popular games have less people doing that shit.
>>
>>387354438
DOTA
Not 2 ,you stupid under developed child
>>
>>387354505
>>387354572
>prioritizing targets in the packs
>utilizing your arsenal and environment to efficiently take enemies down safely
>making foes fight each other
it's not rocket science, but it's there.
Just how simplistic do you kids think OG Doom actually is?
>>
>>387354438
Chess
>>
Metal gear rising, you pretty much have to use it to evade his blows
>>
>>387354781
This, as well as navigating the maze-like levels, finding the secrets, and managing your health and ammo. DOOM is fucking cerebral compared to modern FPS games.
>>
>>387355428
seconding that.
In many ways, OG Doom and the -likes were like much faster paced "survival horror" games. It's weird to see people treat them like some sort of on-rails shooters these days.
>>
Dota
Starcraft
DEFCON
>>
Technically all games, specifically any puzzle game
NEXT QUESTION
>>
Chess
>>
>>387354438
ck2
>>
>>387354438
That image is High Quality. Source? I want the bestest res of the cover
>>
File: Guardian drowning trick.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Guardian drowning trick.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>387354438
Zelda BotW.
The sheer amount of TECHNOLOGY and tricks you can pull really make enemy encounters fascinating. Not to mention early on, it's better to avoid direct assaults, as many foes can 1-hit kill you.
>>
>>387356298
holy crap modern games are so invigorating to watch
>>
File: 1251126623237.jpg (2MB, 2711x4093px) Image search: [Google]
1251126623237.jpg
2MB, 2711x4093px
>>387356150
this is highest res I got saved up.
>>
>>387356150
google is your amigo, amigo

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bsPFH_uUci8/maxresdefault.jpg
>>
>>387355851
It's anything but an on-rails shooter. People nowadays seem to think that DOOM was just non-stop action with ludicrous pacing, where you do nothing but hold down the firing button and kill things. That's not DOOM, that's Serious Sam. In truth, DOOM was always fairly slow-paced. The player character moves fast, and there were legions of monsters to kill, but to successfully navigate the levels and find all the necessary tools for survival, you had to stop and think for a second. At its core, it's a maze filled with demons that try to stop you from reaching the exit, as well as supplies to help you kill the demons, and solving a maze does require brain activity. The map Titan Manor from Master Levels For DOOM II is practically one big puzzles with monsters in it, and Hunted from The Plutonia Experiment is a literal maze with arch-viles which requires a good sense of spatial awareness to survive.
>>
>>387356416
Nice. Shame its got that colored line on the top of the M
>>
File: Stealth kills.webm (2MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
Stealth kills.webm
2MB, 888x500px
>>387356414
this one is.
many others... not so much. Even if many of them are literally made for the LP viewers.
>>
>>387354505
It's pretty engaging for an FPS, but that isn't saying much. Throws a lot of different enemy types at you that attack in different ways, forcing you to 'dance' around their attacks while navigating maze-like maps. That and knowing when to swap weapons and managing ammo. Doom 1/2 is pretty much as good as game design can get.
>>
>>387354438
Most western RPGs have INT
>>
File: 1467039871373.jpg (428KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1467039871373.jpg
428KB, 1024x768px
>>387356673
god. FUCKING. dammit.
thanks for the flashback to that Plutonia level.
>>
>>387354505
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

This is an example of a man using his superior intellect to overcome challenges in Doom
>>
>>387354781
>>387355428
>>387355851
God you retards are stupid, none of this requires intelligence
>>
>>387356726
Holy shit. These are great. Post moar
>>
>>387356973
Well, by definition it does require intelligence, but I wouldn't say classic DOOM requires exceptional intelligence. It's not chess, but it's way more mentally demanding than modern shooters.
>>
>>387357220
>but it's way more mentally demanding than modern shooters.

Good joke
>>
>>387356973
>>387357392
It requires basic split-second decision making and understanding the game's logic. Something that's practically all lost in modern games, even in the reboots of many old shooters.

Call of Duty and the likes have ditched and streamlined so much, that they might just as well be on-rails shooters at this point. Nothing to explore, no targets to prioritize, the weapon you start with is almost bound to be enough for the whole episode (unless you hit some scripted turret / rocketlauncher scene), and in worst cases player input is literally not needed at all.
>>
>>387357392
Which modern shooters demand more from the players than OG DOOM? I'm genuinely curious, because if they exist, I'm missing out.
>>
File: 009.jpg (82KB, 1200x1496px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
82KB, 1200x1496px
>>387357643
Honestly COD WAW was some of the most fun I've had from a modern game in years, very little replay value though and totally not worth the download size for like 5-10 hours of game time.
>>
File: 2851136-9814638093-level[1].png (119KB, 900x538px) Image search: [Google]
2851136-9814638093-level[1].png
119KB, 900x538px
>>387357643
Those are not the only things that are lost in modern games, pic related. As if that's not bad enough, the level on the left is one of the easiest levels in classic DOOM.
>>
>>387357978
god damn this shit makes me wanna play some doom right now. Which episode do you recommend /v/? Knee deep? Shores of Hell? INFERNO?
>>
>>387357726
NuDoom
Titanfall 2

>>387357643
>It requires basic split-second decision making and understanding the game's logic.
Split second lol, the monsters are slow as fuck and shoot slow projectiles
>something that's practically all lost in modern games, even in the reboots of many old shooters.
No its not
>Call of Duty and the likes have ditched and streamlined so much, that they might just as well be on-rails shooters at this point. Nothing to explore
I don't play shooters to explore and there is nothing to explore in doom
>no targets to prioritize,
You don't have to in doom, most enemies go down in a shotgun blast doesn't matter who you shot first
>>
>>387357852
that's the typical story of many modern FPS games: they can be all around at least "OK", but ultimately they are quite disposable-type products. You play them once, and unless the MP hooks you, you may never touch it again.

Even Half-Life games offer way more variation and freedom than most 2010's shootan titles.

>>387358239
>Split second lol, the monsters are slow as fuck and shoot slow projectiles
That's why there are hit-scan enemies in the mix.

>No its not
Then prove me wrong.

>I don't play shooters to explore and there is nothing to explore in doom
Then you have not played Doom. Which wouldn't surprise me, since you hate exploration and thinking.

>You don't have to in doom, most enemies go down in a shotgun blast doesn't matter who you shot first
It quite does. Especially on proper UV difficulty and in later chapters, that do introduce new enemy types and more enemies.

Meanwhile, majority of typical modern shooters have ONE (1) enemy type: a guy with a gun.
>>
>>387358239
>NuDoom
>Titanfall 2
Literally streamlined, consolized modern shooters in every single way. Nothing to master, instead you "level up" your character and perform "press X to see finisher" moves ad infinitum.

I'd wish to show you this video about the subject matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuOObGjCA7Q&t=13s
>>
>>387358161
If my memory serves me right, the map on the left is E1M6 from the first game. It's all great really, but my favorite is The Plutonia Experiment, the second half of Final DOOM. A genuine challenge, consistently fantastic map design with tons of variety, and a great custom soundtrack made by the DOOM community.

For anyone new to DOOM, I would recommend playing the classic series in this order:

First three episodes of DOOM > DOOM II > Thy Flesh Consumed > Master Levels For DOOM II > TNT Evilution > Plutonia Experiment

This progression makes thematic sense, and it's a decent progression in difficulty.
>>
>>387358161
E1 is kinda basic, but has some memorable scenes and music.

E2 is the part where shit truly hits the fan.

I'd also recommend playing the Romero's remake of the Phobos Anomaly map. It's pretty badass.
>>
>>387358602
>Titanfall 2
>Level up character
>Press x to see finisher
I does have press x to see finisher but people can pull out amazing shit in mp because the skill cealing is really high
>>
>>387358239
>Split second lol, the monsters are slow as fuck and shoot slow projectiles
>I don't play shooters to explore and there is nothing to explore in doom
>You don't have to in doom, most enemies go down in a shotgun blast doesn't matter who you shot first

You have never played classic DOOM, and if you have, you never played past Knee-Deep In The Dead.
>>
>>387358976
We're talking exclusively about SP campaigns here. MP is always just never ending cat & mouse play with guns.
>>
>>387359234
Ohh the you are right
I loved the so but is nothing that needs intellect
>>
>>387358602
>nothing to master

Old Doom too retard
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.