[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to tactical shooters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

File: 1501918729251.png (154KB, 256x362px) Image search: [Google]
1501918729251.png
154KB, 256x362px
What happened to tactical shooters?
>>
More people get into games = less genres stay alive
>>
>>387330891
But what happened?
>>
>>387331740
died
>>
ENTRY TEAM TO TOC
>>
>>387332576
Always thought they said Entry team to TALK when the game was new.
>>
>>387330821
>beanbag shotgun
>gas launcher
>pepper spray
it was so fun
>>
>>387330821
More like what happened to Co-op games. Everything has to be competitive nowadays
>>
>>387332709

More like what happened to good games.
Everything is shit nowadays
>>
Move over, sir
You're in my spot
>>
Just hoping that RON won't be shit
>>
The OG pulse club shooting simulator
>>
>>387332709
>>387332793
there's both of these. The only difference is that there are a shit ton more games now.
>>
>>387332793
More like what happened to games.
Everything is movies nowaways.
>>
Remember this pile of shit?
>>
>>387330821
>>387331740

Call of Duty happened
>>
>>387332897
rise of nations?
>>
>>387333190

my absolute ultra nigger
Rise of Nations is so fucking good
>>
R6 Siege came out like a year ago.

Also games like Squad, Arma, PUBG and Escape From Tarkov are technically tactical shooters if you play them right.
>>
>>387333347

>PUBG
>tactical shooter

lol nigger the desync is so bad that the shooting is basically RNG based, also the fixed bullet drop is retarded.
It's in no way a tactical shooter.
>>
>>387332653
>your teammates treat non-lethals as lethals and will not open fire on suspects unless they shoot first
Biggest flaw of the AI. If they peppered someone as soon as they saw him holding a gun, your life would be much easier. Sometimes you can lose half your team in the first minute after entry because they're just standing there with paintball guns in hand, expecting an armed thug to comply.
>>
>>387333503

that's why it's a co-op game.
If you have 3 buddies it's amazing.
>>
>>387333347
>Also games like Squad, Arma, PUBG and Escape From Tarkov are technically tactical shooters if you play them right.
>implying shitty twitch bait trash games are tactical
they're not
>>
The genre is about to be saved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd139Nin33M
>>
>>387334220
>shitty twitch bait trash
Buzzwords and not arguments.

Just because some random dudebro streams them and runs around like a headless chicken doesn't change the fact that they are tactical shooters when played right.
>>
>>387334617
Okey dokey, contrariano.
>>
I've been playing lots of GRAW 2 lately.

It's kind of a let down that your have a pretty generous health bar even on hardcore difficulty.
>>
>>387334220
>I don't know what I'm talking about, but I saw PUBG and got triggered
>>
>>387334224
>the anal staircase
So random haha, I sense that a certain swedish Youtuber is going to make some hilarious videos of this epic game, whether you're ready or not, haha.
>>
>>387330821
2niche4mainstream audience
>>
>>387334829
More like, this little joke will get all SJWs butt-blasted at how homophobic and insulting the name is.
>>
>>387334794
Console version or PC version? Yes, they're completely different games.
>>
>>387334964
PC, the console versions trigger me.
>>
File: 1299752393681.jpg (26KB, 559x568px) Image search: [Google]
1299752393681.jpg
26KB, 559x568px
>>387330821
I CAN'T GET THIS GAME TO WORK AND I'VE TRIED THE FIXES. HELP ME.
>>
>>387333083
Hah! I hope people learned their lesson to stop backing kickstarter shit
>>
File: 1502665267451.jpg (48KB, 498x456px) Image search: [Google]
1502665267451.jpg
48KB, 498x456px
>make custom map in the editor
>select the first restaurant mission
>add 17-20 suspects with random guns from pistol to ak47
>add every possible archetype
>start mission
>there's suspects in spawn in places i didnt even know you could go
>they wipe half your squad right after getting out of the truck
>one room has a nurse with a shotgun, a hockey mask terrorist with a pistol and the old fat lady from the second mission with the assault rifle
>just shoot everybody in the dick
>>
>>387333347
>Siege
>tactical

Laughing My Arse Off
>>
File: 1473436900725s.jpg (2KB, 111x125px) Image search: [Google]
1473436900725s.jpg
2KB, 111x125px
Lethal weapons were much more fun if you didn't shoot everything on sight. With non-lethal you only have to shout and immediately after pressing F blast them full of pepper and beanbags until everything complies.

Trying to be non-lethal WITH lethal was also interesting. I'd always try to keep everyone incapacitated, at most, if possible using a regular gun. If they refuse to comply you switch to the tazer in your secondary slot instead.

>mfw first time knocking someone incapacitated with point blank lead projectiles from the grenade launcher
>>
>>387334224
>sad classical music playing with american flags being ominously all over the place
they're going to ruin it with social commentary for absolutely no reason aren't they
>>
I like tactical shooters because peeking corners makes me feel cool
>>
>>387335408
>muh persecution complex
>>
>>387335150
Name everything that happens, everything you have tried and everything you have googled.
>>
>>387335408
Not necessarily, although it's a possibility.
>>
>>387335507
Hello, Reddit
>>
>>387335325
>I never played Siege before
>>
File: 135252817458.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
135252817458.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>387335325
>I suck at the game so it must be bad
It's an esports and one of the most tactical shooters you'll ever play with it's mix of different classes and roles and dynamic levels, Swat 4 was never an esports or competitive in anyway and the levels are so static that there is pretty much only 1 way to deal with things. AI is also as dumb as a rock so it doesn't take much the get perfect score on each mission.

Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's good, stop the contrarian act, also I've probably played more Swat 4 than you've played games altogether in your entire life.
>>
>>387335768
>It's an esports
So is dota, that doesn't make it good.
>>
>>387336024
Git gud and have a (You).
>>
>>387330821
ever heard of Door Kickers?
>>
> what happened to tactical shooters

they got better. No I'm not joking.

The tactical FPS genre might be the only one that has actually improved with time rather than degenerating.

Anyone who honestly thinks operation flashpoint is better than arma 3 needs to catch a fucking beating.

Some series have gone off the rails yes, but otherwise the innovations in the genre has a whole are significant. A lot of the nostalgia you see for "old school" tac shooters would dry up the minute you force anyone to play these old pieces of shit.

I find a lot of guys have rose tinted memories of how these actually played. They have invented these memories of extremely tactical and intelligent FPSes when in reality games like GR1 and rogue spear in multiplayer played like counter strike but with one shot kills. Lots of people running hitting the twitchy side to side strafe while spraying, or "snipers" which is essentially just a camper with a laser beam hitscan weapon in a game that's simulation of aiming weapon only went as far as crosshair blooms.

Tac shooter genre is fine, what isnt fine is this new hybrid/bastardization that is the fault of dayz mod. It manifests itself primarily in arma 3 mods like exile, but also now in professional games like h1z1 and PUBG.
>>
>>387336354
>new hybrid/bastardization

by which i mean having 3rd person high angle or even FREE LOOK cameras in a supposedly "hardcore realism" game.

Its a disease that has completely infected the public PVP side of things for arma 3. Which is a real fucking shame because arma 3 1st person only PVP whether its something like tacbf, a dayz knockoff mod or even just a vanilla pvp mission, is really great.
>>
>>387331740
nobody wants to play difficult video games. thinking is something you do while playing hearthstone
>>
>>387335150
Works to me.
>>
>>387333083
I backed it and never even installed the damn thing. I hear it had some severe bugs at launch though, did it turn out to be crap after all?
>>
Theres also Ground Branch which is coming along slowly but nicely.
>>
>>387336354

I never got why people though old tactical shooter mul;tiplayer was tactical

shit was cancer you picked people picked light armor and broke the newcode while also spamming nades or some other cheap shit
>>
>>387330821
Esports made such series move away from their tactical roots. So the genre itself becomes more niche.
>>
>>387332576
>ENTRY TEAM TO TOC, SUSPECT KILLED
>"...uuuh, roger that, continue on

Just played the Victory Auto Imports mission, next one is Red Library. Fug.
>>
>>387337373

> esports made such series move away from their tactical roots
> tactical roots
> roots

lol

right now, go onto youtube and watch some adversarial/pvp matches for rogue spear or GR1.

"tactical" is not a word that would be used to describe what takes place. The only people who believe this shit about those old titles is people who play/played exclusively coop which falls distinctly into the category of "its tactical if we play it that way".

esports didnt do shit to those series.

The genre was always niche. Contrary to popular gamer belief about old skool gamers being mucho smarter and more sophisticated, they infinitely preferred stuff like quake 3 to stuff like op flash where they could be killed by someone they couldnt even see.
>>
>>387338430
>right now, go onto youtube and watch some adversarial/pvp matches for rogue spear or GR1.
I don't need to, because I'm not a child like you and actually played that shit when it was still alive. That being said, nobody is referencing the tacked on multiplayer aspect when talking about those games being tactical shooters.
>>
>>387338606

No, you didn't you larping newfag or you wouldnt be spouting such ridiculous nonsense about durr esports

esports has absolutely nothing to do with it
>>
>>387334224
Oh snap. So this is basically SWAT 5?
Also,
>custom team patches
Oh boy.
>>
File: 14453526565790[1].jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
14453526565790[1].jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>387338606
>the tacked on multiplayer aspect when talking about those games being tactical shooters.

> tacked on

its how the game is inherently designed you fucking idiot

"its tactical if we play it that way" doesnt change the fact that all the old titles people make shit up arent anywhere near as tactical as people seem to remember them as being, or realistic, and we have games now that are superior in both aspects. Nothing happened to the genre, its well and truly alive.

FFS you can literally recreate the entire campaigns from GR in arma 3 and people have done just that, only its far more realistic when played in ArmA than it was in GR crusing at 30mph sprint strafe shooting the ai
>>
>>387338891
Well shit, I guess I didn't because some kid on the internet says I didn't.
>>
>>387335768
Counter strike is the definitive esport. How does that have anything to do with a game being tactical? If you're running around 360 noscoping in a twitch shooter, it is not tactical.
>>
Call of Duty got in the way.
>>
>>387336720
haven't tried it for long time, but last time i played the enemy AI had some serious hacks on.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.