[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't we go back to the old ways of video game journalism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Gamespot.jpg (158KB, 951x666px) Image search: [Google]
Gamespot.jpg
158KB, 951x666px
Why can't we go back to the old ways of video game journalism? Back when people didn't take it seriously at all. They were just dudes that happened to be able to write, and loved playing video games. It was a lot of laughing and we hardly saw anything political related. We simply didn't touch those subjects, and the industry was better off that way. But now, everything just reads like a hyperactive political twitter post. The fun is gone. I know there's youtubers that are chill, but those are not tied to a company. Or aren't seen as a "professional" review outlet. Not that that matters considering what we have, these days, is worse.

The Gamespot crew was excellent in this regard. Jeff's reviews still read like this thoughts, instead of this mish mash of a person's beliefs and interests. Jeff just writes it down the way it plays. And their videos were them just having a laugh and talking about games.

That shit has vanished. I wonder when it started occuring. Doesn't seem that long ago.
>>
>>387309860
Because money
>>
Because there's now an absurd number of stupid assholes with wasted degrees who need to justify themselves by making videogames seem more important than they really are.
>>
File: 1501647122008.jpg (219KB, 460x2380px) Image search: [Google]
1501647122008.jpg
219KB, 460x2380px
Nobody cares. Reviews have always been tripe for people who can't think about things for themselves so need somebody else to tell them how they feel about something.
>>
File: 2022215-4dn4ihh.jpg (99KB, 862x882px) Image search: [Google]
2022215-4dn4ihh.jpg
99KB, 862x882px
>>387309860
because dealing with autistic gamers was tiring.
>>
>>387309860
It made and costs more money.
>>
why do you even need game journalism faggot? just play fucking videogames.
>>
>>387309860
>dudes
and there's your problem
>>
>>387309860
Seeing how one of those guys is dead and the other is stuck in corporate meetings for most of the day, I think the fun is well and truly finished.
>>
>>387310421
Girls can't review games, much less play them as a hobby.
>>
>>387309860

That's what you get for firing Gerstmann, and propelling Yahtzee and his bitter and cynical approach to gaming.

You think people become political overnight? Hell no, it is because the journalists got tired of being cynics for the sake of cynics so they turned to socially charged reviews.

If you want the old way of journalism back, then go to your Japanese masters where you are a glorified PR ticker, no personal opinions allowed, just dry boring reviews.
>>
>>387309860
Game "reviewers" have been paid shills almost since the dawn of the niche(perhaps since the dawn - I'm not sure what the very first issues of gamepro and egm had for reviews). They've never had any sense of integrity, moral fiber, ethics, or anything else that makes a non-sociopath satisfied with what they're doing in life. They don't even make enough money to have a thought like "fuck yeah this is so worth it!"
Picking up politics was a natural direction to take these days, since no matter how corrupt they are, they can sell a few token kissup phrases and collect the social media applause to sooth their empty souls and bankrupt consciences.
>>
>>387310663
A dry review over a politically charged rant is ideal, and shouldn't be impossible.
>>
The world is more political in every regard. You can't go around a single day and not get left/right fights, agendas, trump, refugees, SJW or any of that shit not smashed against your face.
Vidya was just an early Industry that didn't have as much structure to not get completely changed because of our current western culture
>>
>>387309860

Probably somewhere around 2005 when the internet began booming and digital publishing media and social medias began to grow.

I genuinely want to think that there's credibility in the traditional gaming news outlets. But, its difficult when you consider that most of them are likely cooperating with the industry to push a certain narrative.
>>
>>387309860
You should look up the old Reviews on the Run/Judgement Day stuff from G4. Their opinions on pretty much any given episode would cause them to be fired and blacklisted these days.
>>
SJW politics has infected and ruined everything.
There's no saving it.
It's a lost cause.
>>
>>387309860
On one end, they are kinda obsolete as there are hundreds of game review sites and nobody has any interest or time to read reviews so they call get funneled in metacritic to give a base score. Youtubers also now get all the attention even if they are just shilling wholesale from a free copy from the devs.

Only thing I really hate is how most people I talk to absolutely will not play a game if the metacritic score is below some certain "approved" level or throw their money at any old shit as long as the number is high enough and will praise it for being so perfect.
>>
>Gamespot with Jeff, Ryan and the glasses guy who went on to make Bastion
Good times.
I never bothered with Giant Bomb though.
>>
>>387310882

Shit some people almost get just as mad at you for not having a strong opinion as having one that actively opposes theirs these days.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.