[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did things go wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: maxresdefault.jpg (373KB, 1686x822px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
373KB, 1686x822px
Where did things go wrong?
>>
>>387305126
If I'm being serious probably 3. That's where they stopped adding and improving and removed a bunch of stuff. Powerstancing, bonfire ascetics, poise, balanced PvP, not-shit level design. Just went really downhill. Especially the lore. And the ds1 fan service bashing your teeth in nonstop after halfway through.

If I want to be unfunny meme then
2 CUZ IS SHIT XDDD LMAO
>>
If you wanted serious answer and not just shitposting
Sony studio god tier style games
>DeS
>Bloodborne
Obviously FROM style game
>Dark Souls 2
Namco soulless games
>Dark souls
>Dark souls 3
>>
Dark Souls sequels I'd say

Each game has its own atmosphere, DS2 and 3 are just rehashes
>>
>>387305261
This. 2 had some great ideas that were just sadly discarded in 3.
>>
>>387305126
When they let B team make a game. Forced them to over compensate with the third
>>
>>387305550
>Each game has its own atmosphere
>DaS
>Not poor des rehash without any atmosphere
>>387305697
>b team meme from the buttdevastated pc kids
>>
I'm trying really hard but ds3 doesn't really feel like a ds game anymore. I just can't get into it
>>
>>387305126
Dark Souls 3 should have been Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne should have been our third installment.
>>
>>387305126
Dark Souls was when they casualized the formula
>>
>>387305817
>pc kids
first off, I don't play souls games on PC

Secondly, you have brain damage if you think Dark Souls 2 even compares to Demons Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne. We can talk stupid little 'features" all damn day but when you boil it down, DaS 2 controlled like shit, the combat was shit, and it looked horrendous. DaS 3 was a rehash because they were sacred of the awful reception 2 got with Fans. Whether you think a rehash is better than a pile of shit, I don't care, but you're beyond retarded if you don't think DaS 2 ruined the series
>>
>>387305847
They sped up attacks, less punishment for wrong timing
>>
>>387306026
My sides
Insane pc kid who had das as his first souls game
>controlled like shit, the combat was shit, and it looked horrendous.
You could and everyone said this about first das in comprassion to des
But of course pc kid like you wouldn't know, poorly made rehash like das was your first souls game after all
>>
File: IMG_20170816_020320.jpg (70KB, 304x822px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170816_020320.jpg
70KB, 304x822px
Right about here
>>
>>387305126
the dark souls sequels
fanbase and game quality went downhill
bloodborne slightly recovered from it but still doesnt compare, but 3 is the nail in the coffin for me and im not buying another game in the series
>>
>>387305126
3 is pretty inarguably where it fell off a cliff. It's very far from a bad game, but it's just too similar to the rest of the series. We're drowning in the same game at this point, and I don't blame FROM for wanting to break out and do something different.
>>
>>387307164
>bloodborne slightly recovered from it but still doesnt compare
It was better than das and improved greatly on some des ideas
I loved how bloodborne and des locations looked like something people would actually live in, instead of das "levels for the sake of gameplay fuck smart design" garbage
>>
File: Souls.png (203KB, 1098x831px) Image search: [Google]
Souls.png
203KB, 1098x831px
>>387307091
Fuck DaS 2 shitter

DaS was a worthy succesor to Demons. they are so similar control wise and look wise, im surprised they didn't get a lawsuit against them by Sony. As for combat, you can't even argue that DeS had better combat. Even DeSfags don't argue the combat was better
>>
File: 1495849448087.png (214KB, 412x501px) Image search: [Google]
1495849448087.png
214KB, 412x501px
Nothing. The series is over. You can stop complaining and move on.
>>
It went wrong when dark souls got ported to PC and from had to shit out 2 shitty sequels for bamco.
>>
Inability to learn from past success and mistakes, such as the loss of interconnected map design and replay value (NG+ content, no death/no bonfire reward, Champ Covenant).

Always hinting at enough lore to sustain multiple retarded youtube channels off pure autism, yet blatantly clear the writers have no story to tell whatsoever. Everything is essentially either self-referential circlejerking, or a Berserk reference. And we've all seen what happened to Berserk's writing.

General laziness, evident in design short-cuts and copy pasting. Consider that in 3, there is a single enemy in the entire game that can break your equipment. You have to get barfed on consectuively like 50 fuckings times. Yet durability, durability spells, and broken weapon/armor models exist - all a complete waste of space because they just brainlessly copy pasted shit.
>>
2 was the worst installment of the series, but they basically nostalgia hashed 3 together in order to appease the fan base. So perhaps philosophically speaking it's the worst.

The only souls game I haven't finished is 3.
>>
>>387307330
>and look wise
>des and das
This is how you spot insane das pc kid who never saw des
>>387307387
But das was bamco game, and das3, you can tell by how soulless and uninspired they were
Das2 was pure from software game, and des with bloodborne were sony studio games
>>
File: 1501004661550.png (82KB, 956x1159px) Image search: [Google]
1501004661550.png
82KB, 956x1159px
>PC kid got called for his "b-team bullshit"
>Gone full damage control
Pathetic
>>
>>387305126
with dark souls 2

bb is ok though
>>
I just finished 3 and i have to say i liked it the least but that is probably because i walked all over every boss in 2's base game.
>>
File: every_hour.png (286KB, 619x597px) Image search: [Google]
every_hour.png
286KB, 619x597px
>>
>>387307330
>you can't even argue that DeS had better combat
yes you can

DeS had better weapon movesets and stronger builds that could tear the game appart when spec'd right. The most fun playthrough I've had spanning all games has had to have been either a great axe regen build or clever rats morion fire spray hyper mage. BB comes in next with a saif+beast cutter mage.
>>
I love each and every game. I would gladly pay for Dark Souls IIII too. and dont pretend you wouldnt either
>>
>>387308078
I wouldn't. The series would be better off if II and III never existed.
>>
>>387305443
nice try sonyshill
>>
>>387308045
This. /vg/ or do your jobs mods. The hilarious thing is, any one who says "waaaaaaaaaaa we are just diacussing video games!" fuck off, we don't need 6 souls threads a day where all you do is fucking rank your favorites.
>>
>>387308179
>Series would be better if das and das3 never existed
Fixed
>>
>>387307330
Dark Souls 2 has the best combat in the series. The animations may look weird, but the actual combat mechanics are better than everything the other games did. Yes, also Bloodborne.
>>
>>387305126
Any time Japan Studio isn't involved, expect a forgettable piece of shit basically with failed vision.
Demon's Souls and BB are masterpieces.
DkS1 is a masterpiece in world-design, but otherwise garbage with some of the worst combat in the series.
DkS2 and DkS2 are completely forgettable.
>>
>>387305261
2 had some good ideas, powerstancing wasn't really one of them because it was just an extra moveset that was an better or worse then regular, and didn't really inspire anything. It's not any better BA and worse than tricking.
Also, poise is always a terrible idea in any form.
>>
>>387309538
How are they better? Go on? The garbage BS system, 1f parries, no teching with infinites, just slow and ugly overall... What's good about it?
>>
>>387306026
>DaS 3 was a rehash because they were sacred of the awful reception 2 got with Fans.
Core problem is that DaS3 is worse than a rehash. It's a rehash with no passion. If it had been just a rehash but with good quality and excellent attention to detail it would have been an alright conclusion but this is just lazy references for the sake of references with no effort put into giving the references any kind of proper feel.
The game wants you to remember something from another game that was good but doesn't ever actually go the length of including what made it good or even making it bug-free and consistent with what the prior games established. I mean the game just straight up copies over Andre from the first game but can't even be bothered to give him a fully featured moveset.
And more importantly the game just doesn't feel well thought out as clearly evidenced by the sheer drudgery that is the game's area progression, hub and after a while even its combat.
>>
>>387308939
Almost every time someone starts a Souls thread, not necessarily by ranking the games at first, the thread will eventually turn into that, causing the board to be flooded with the same threads every hour
>>
>>387305126
>Games
DeS / DaS / BB are great games with different game structure/gameplay.
DaS III is good but sadly, it's still Dark Souls for the third time.
DeS II is shit.

>Community
after Dark Souls PC port
>>
>>387311789
this
>>
>love action games like Bayonetta and DMC
>beat DS1 and 2
>think they're okay
>beat both multiple times
>start noticing their flaws and as a result like each game less and less with every playthrough
>BS and DS3 look a lot faster paced and more action focused
Will I enjoy those games more, then? Or should I just not bother?

I know they're unique games, but I just don't like them all that much. The games are way too unpolished to justify a combat system that's based around fairness.
>>
>>387305126
>Where did things go wrong?
From thinking they could do sequels.
>>
>>387311789
they made a Demon's Souls 2?
>>
>>387313858
shitty azerty keyboard
>>
>>387310207
>poise is always a terrible idea
thats why das3 and bb heavily resolve to r1 mashing

poise is a necessity
>>
They didn't. It's a pretty solid series.
>>
File: 1494588240207.jpg (293KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1494588240207.jpg
293KB, 1600x900px
>>387306026
das2 haters never fail cracking me up

i just imagine their red faces, saliva dripping from their distorted mouths, screeching and breathing heavily while they type out rageposts with their crooked fingers

>dis shit, dat shit, all shit! retards! i hate! all ruined! reeeeeeee
>>
File: 1489103357448.gif (1MB, 320x184px) Image search: [Google]
1489103357448.gif
1MB, 320x184px
>>387312871
newer games are more action focused, but the actual "action" is lame.
>>
>>387305261
DSIII would be the best in the series if it had poise like DaS1. Prove me wrong protip: you cannot.
>>
>>387312871
They're more action focused, yes. You'd like BB far more than DSIII, especially as someone who enjoys DMC. DMC3 is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's honestly frustrating for DSIII to roll through flurries of attacks because it looks so damn stupid.
>>
>>387314807
still has shitty enemy design
still has shitty boss design
still has shitty level design
still has the worst dlcs in souls games

the game is best described with one of it's areas - empty "soulless" rehashed anor londo, covered in shit, with blobs of shit everywhere, and a bigger blob of shit as its area boss.
>>
>>387313803
desu they didnt, it was Bamco who had them sign a 3-game contract and forced them to do DkS2-3 because they wanted to ride the "prepare to die" meme
>>
>>387314878
>and it's honestly frustrating for DSIII to roll through flurries of attacks because it looks so damn stupid.
Yeah, that's exactly my problem. There's barely any skill involved in dodging attacks most of the time. Just roll in a specific window and hope the hitbox doesn't fuck up.

In DMC, the games are designed in such away that you can handle any situation you come across as long as you're skilled enough. The game rarely fucks it up for you, apart from in 1 where the camera is super janky.

I really liked DS1's world, so playing that game with a little more polish is all I want from the series. I'll definitely try Bloodborne, the parrying system in that game looks really fun.
>>
>>387315024
>still has shitty enemy design
Nope.
>still has shitty boss design
Nope.
>still has shitty level design
God no.
>still has the worst dlcs in souls games
Holy shit lol get off AotA' dick.
>>
>>387315081
Enjoy it man. There's also this thing where if you take damage you have a very short window to attack the enemy again to regain your health, encouraging aggressive attacks. I think you'll dig that.
>>
File: 1496534684869.gif (2MB, 355x343px) Image search: [Google]
1496534684869.gif
2MB, 355x343px
>>387315101
>ill just say "no" to everything and it will make me right
>>
2 adds stuff like
>powerstance
>Bonfire Ascetic
>very open first half of the game
>more interesting new game +
>allowing to respec
Bloodborne
>finally improved the gameplay
>had chalice dungeons for extra content if you wanted to do them

and in Dark Souls 3 they somehow decided to discard all the good changes from the 2 previous games, and made something more similar to dark souls 1.
wich might have been their intentention, but i sure wish they adopted some of the positive changes.
>>
>>387315184
Should I try 3, then? I mean, it looks fast paced like Bloodborne but I don't feel like swords and shields suit that kind of combat
>>
File: Bloodborne.jpg (2MB, 5760x3240px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne.jpg
2MB, 5760x3240px
>>387315318
No I mean Bloodborne has the health aggressive feature. Not DSIII. I'd definitely do BB first, as much as I love DSIII
>>
The warning signs were there in DaS1, but nobody paid attention.
>>
>>387315398
I was just asking if I should try 3 if you think I'd enjoy Bloodborne. I know what you meant.
>>
>>387315486
I love DSIII a lot. It drips with atmosphere, filled with a feeling of decaying death and dark. But if you like DMC3 as much as me, the rolling WILL bother you. I still think it's worth it for the vistas, locales, and spectacle.
>>
>>387315474

DaS1 is Miyasaki's DaS2
>>
>>387305126
>Where did things go wrong?
At the first """easy""" boss fight that required more than 5 tries. Die and retries are objectively bad games.
>>
>>387316508
if you are "good at the game" - des/das/dasII bosses won't be able to kill you

most of bb and dasIII bosses though are designed to solely fuck you up no matter what, to provide a "challenge" for experienced players, in form of grinding out bosses movesets, since you can't just react to what you see, you have to know the bosses' possible combos and moves and how long their windups and recovery timings are. Imo this is the closest we've come to "artificial difficulty" in souls series and it's really lame.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.