[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Addiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

Do y'all have any meaningful tips for overcoming video game addiction? I lack the will to do many real-world things and it gnaws at me.
>>
Chances are you're not addicted to video games, you're just too lazy to do anything that requires effort.
>>
Make a checklist of responsible things to do day by day and don't video until you complete checklist.
>>
>>387280621
Do video game realated stuff irl.
Go to conventions, lans, expos.
Also hobbies, cooking food you see in vidya, playing music you hear in vidya and write about your expierences in vidya.
>>
>>387280621
Get a job and friends, it literally takes up a huge chunk of time so much you donĀ“t have time to play games most days. Eventually you just stop craving video games.
>>
>>387280621
People who suffer from addiction of any kind are weak and should kill themselves.
>>
>>387281260
Try and stop posting then.
>>
>>387280621
Addiction is a symptom not the cause.
But this video can maybe help you a little.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o
>>
>>387281260
>>387281802
BTFO
>>
>>387280621
most of the time, addiction to something is just a symptom for something larger. My advice is that you should seek medical help.
>>
All I want to do is read shit on the internet and masturbate. The only time I play video games is when my dick is too sore to jerk it.
>>
Replace video game addiction with something else, like running or reading. The latter is really good if you want some cheap escapism to pass the time, and can arguably be even more dangerous than vidya if you can't keep it in check.

I used to sit around for up to 8 hours a day doing nothing but reading, then I'd grab something to eat, shitpost on 4chan and go to sleep.
>>
I went to my mom's house for about 2 weeks to take care of her dog when I was on vacation. I didn't bring my console because on purpose. Then I spent all my time for 2 weeks reading books and watching various movies. When I came back I had no desire to get back to the old grind.
>>
>>387280621
Kill yourself.
>>
>>387280621
rly makes u think
>>
>>387280621
I remember when i quite dota, i never realized i was addicted in the 1st place until i stopped. The trick for me was to not turn on my PC at all, you are not so much addicted to the game as you are to the routine. Once you break the chain of routine at one of its weaker links it all falls apart. Then you have to find things to occupy that free time or you will go insane, your body and brain will fight you and scream at you in an attempt to make you go back to your routine as a self preservation mechanism. i had hobbys when i was younger like drawing, guitar, biking that i was able to fall back on im not sure what you can do. I had to do stuff like pay my bills in person at the bank for a while. One of the most important things to remember though is when people quit one vice they usually just fill that hole with some OTHER vice. For me i just spent all the time i wasn't playing dota sitting on 4chan. I just came back from a bike ride and i was planning on drawing but then i started to put on some music and here i am doing nothing on 4chan for like an hour. So its a constant struggle.

Anyway the whole experience has made me more spiritual, i don't understand how my body AND my brain would scream at me to do something i didn't want to? Where did these thoughts come from? If my mind kept telling me "Drawing is SSSOOOOOO boring lets play dota" and "uuugh lifting weights is SUCH a bother fuck it just go on 4chan" how was i able to do it all? What inner voice guided me back then? If the thoughts in my own head are not my own then who am I?

Well im back in school now and im the happiest i have been in 7 years, but it all starts when you realize gaming TOO much is not actually making you happy and you want to stop. If you REALLY like playing dota and sitting on 4chan makes you happy keep doing it becoming a "normie" wont make you happy or complete you as a human unless thats what you want to be in your soul.

I hope i was able to say something useful
>>
Well, you're here. You'll stop playing video games shortly.
>>
Once I started making 72 dollars an hour I was able to afford better hobbies.
>>
>>387280621
All of /v/ should watch this documentary.
https://youtu.be/WtQevsY3OYw
>>
>>387280621
>y'all
Try leaving your trailer park sometime
>>
>>387280621
Quit, entirely. Uninstall the lot, do not play any of them, if you fancy a game don't. Get a few good books to read as the first month is awful. All of those friends you spoke to over steam, and gamed with? Add them on Skype or something, chat with them via IMs but don't play.

Jump on any social activity your IRL friends suggest, and organise some yourself. You're going to need to keep yourself busy - in part because stopping playing video games doesn't teach you how to be productive, so the first step is almost shifting your procrastination.

Also get a good regular sleep cycle. That opens up many daytime activities. Part of the goal is to be tired by the time you go to bed, so your sleep doesn't slip endlessly.

I know that sounds like a lot, and I can tell you from experience the first month is not great. It's easiest if you couple it with something else big, like moving house. In my case I moved country and a shipping consignment with my PC was lost for a month. By the time it came I was behind on my MMOs etc., and I just couldn't muster the interest to get back into things. A summer on I started again, and the addiction came back, but I broke it once more (6 months later) via the same method. Set an alarm in my office for bedtime, quite literally, and just stuck to it.

Since then I've reintroduced video games as a form of occasional recreation, but very rarely more than 6 hours a week - the exceptions being the odd gaming day with old friends.
>>
>>387284082
A couple months ago I tried to quit 4chan.
Well, I have to say I don't have over 20 tabs open right now; only a total of 4 from 4chan and one from youtube.
>>
>>387280621
You're just a lazy fuck who has set procrastination as his excuse for everything in life.
Put away the vidya and start getting shit done.
Tell procrastination to fuck off and that you have finally learned to love yourself and everyone around you.
who am i kidding?
just kill yourself, you lazy bum
>>
>>387284597
Oh, I'll add to this: I moved my piano into my office.

So the second time I quite was worst by far, as I had nothing to couple with quitting. Furthermore, due to the consequences of alcoholism I was medically required to quit any and all alcohol. So I put a piano in my office, and whenever an urge came along, I say down and started playing. Didn't really matter what, it was especially great if I could sing to it as then I could belt out my frustration.

I also found some recreational obsessions, the main one being tea. Bought a temperature controlled kettle, a variety of tea pots, many different brands of bottled water with different PHs, and a considerable variety of Darjeelings.

Those two things really help me, now a year on, I'm not terribly interested in either, but that's because productive and social activities replaced them gradually.
>>
I come to /v/ to realise why i dont really play videogames anymore. Every single shitpost makes me want to stop forever desu.
>>
>>387285236
Weak
>>
>>387284210
like what?
>>
>>387280621
Woah, that image really gets my noggin jogging.
>>
>>387285009
The trick really is to find something else to occupy your time, at the heart of it you have to be unhappy browsing 4chan. If you still enjoy it you will never quit
>>
>>387285638
I find browsing 4chan quite nostalgic. It's a sea of shit, and occasionally if you find old comrades.
>>
>>387280621
Take 20-30 minutes each day for some dedicated exercise. Eat healthier. Try to go outside for a little bit each day. Once you have energy/confidence you'll feel the desire to go out and be social. You don't have to cut out video games just make sure you're not using it in place of all else. Taking time each day to work on yourself goes long way and if you can find a semi-productive hobby like writing/drawing/music/reading/anything where you work with your hands really then you'll actually be of interest to other people since you possess a skill and knowledge rather than only being able to talk about common interests and nothing else.
>>
Find a hobby or occupy yourself with something that gives you self-satisfaction. It's not healthy to be heavily dependent on others achieving goals for you.
>>
>>387280621
you're probably not addicted to vidya, you're just avoiding real life shit and video games are an easy distraction

i'd wager if you just stopped playing video games, you'd just substitute shitposting or binge watching tv shows
stop being a coward and do something productive, run the dishwasher, do some laundry, plan out your dinners for the next week
start with small things and keep building
>>
>>387281121
Honestly, this is probably your best bet to break the mold.

Do it gradually, in a way you're familiar with.
>>
>>387286779
>I avoid doing real shit with a hobby
>get a different hobby!
bad advice anon
>>
File: 1497469133815.png (682KB, 1000x904px) Image search: [Google]
1497469133815.png
682KB, 1000x904px
>>387280621
videogames are the only thing worth doing tbqh
>>
>>387280621
The classic form of vidya addiction does not exist in the 1st world anymore, it's all about mobile casual games now, THOSE are causing a new form of addiction.
>>
Get friends and do things with them IRL.

t. has no friends so has to substitute that with gaming
>>
>>387287726
Creating something tangible of your own is different than playing through someone's product.
>>
>>387288667
On a unrelated note, i find that impossible since i have been out of school. just have the same old friends i have always had
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.