[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that he hype has died down, what are your honest thoughts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 23

File: IMG_0293.jpg (137KB, 250x350px)
IMG_0293.jpg
137KB, 250x350px
Now that he hype has died down, what are your honest thoughts on this game? Does it deserve all the 10/10s that it received?
>>
>>387257649
Honestly, Yes. I got it two weeks ago and played it non-stop for around 70 hours total playtime. It's the best game to come out in the past 5 years, and even then it's better than most games that have come out ever. Im amazed that they could abandon an established formula, and make probably the best Nintendo game ever made. I look forward to the sequels using BoTW as the cornerstone, and not the old zelda games
>>
It is amazing.
Perhaps the least patronizing gaming experience I've had in decades. Gorgeous and atmospheric, satisfying to play and master.

Certainly one of the few true games this century that deserves 10/10. A rare AAA game, that put gameplay and gaming-experience first, but did not skip on other factors either.
>>
Honestly? No. Besides the incredible physics and allure of your first time, in the end the game devolves into a very annoying collect-a-thon.
>>
>>387258103
>in the end the game devolves into a very annoying collect-a-thon.
...which is, how many hundreds of hours into it?
Not to mention some people don't find that "annoying" at all, and some people don't even bother in the first place.
>>
>>387257649
Only if you ask yourself if this deserves all its 10/10 GOTY awards and sales.
>>
>>387258269
That's just my personal feelings though, and shouldn't be taken to heart. I don't like collect-a-thons. It's a tedious genre that tasks my patience. Other than that I think the game is great.
>>
There's a lot of dumb shit in it like the Yiga hideout and the Korok forest stealth sections, but the really nice thing about the game is that you can just skip all that if you want. I hope more "open" world games learn from its strengths as well as its flaws.
>>
I think it's a solid 9
>>
>>387257649
very creative and certainly has a good and new approach to the open world genre, however underperforms on everything else and has its potential crippled on the hardwares it runs. Not a bad game, but not deserving of a 10/10 in any way.
>>
>>387257649
Probably, but only because game ((journalism)) is retarded, anything above average gets 9&10s, mediocre games get 7&8s, shit games get 6s and unplayable dumpster fires get 5 and below.
If they used a honest metric, a real metric not a "this is an analogy to school so 5 isn't the middle it's the failure score" meme, it would be a solid 8/10. Not perfect but it accomplishes what it wanted to do is very polished, fun and has emergent gameplay, although the world could have been smaller with some real rewards, not 900 golden shits and it would've been better and not a chore to 100%.
>>
>>387258452
>I don't like collect-a-thons. It's a tedious genre that tasks my patience.
Yes, impatient people tend to be like that.
Luckily, you are not forced to collect a single thing in BotW really.
>>
>>387258305
>all reviews are done by the same person
>>
>>387257649

Yeah, I thought it was great. Most fun I've had with a console Zelda in 14 years.
>>
Very solid game, the only zelda game I truly enjoyed since Alttp.
ocarina of time sucked and everything that came after.
>>
>>387257649
it's not perfect but it's the most a game has truly managed to draw me in and capture my attention in years

saying that i'm 100 hours in and still haven't cleared hyrule castle, but the will to do so is leaving me

once you've finished the game it has zero replay value, unless you speedran the whole thing and cleared the main story in your first 20 hours
>>
I played it on PC for probably six or seven hours now, and I honestly don't understand the hype. It's alright and all, but all this praise of 'best game ever' reverberates in my head of times when TLoU and UT were labeled as such. It's alright, but nothing special.
>>
>>387257649
Best game of all time.
>>
>>387257649
idgaf about reviews.
My own personal opinion is that it is an amazing game, one of the best games i have ever played and single-handedly worth buying a WiiU for.
It's comfy on a new different level and I really hope it sets a precedence for future zelda games.
I also hope that the DLC this year adds a large traditional dungeon, as that was my only gripe of this game, the lack of dungeons.
>>
>>387258695

All reviews are done by brainlets because videogames are a brainlet medium
>>
>>387257649
>Does it deserve all the 10/10s that it received?

Yeah, but that doesn't it can't do anything better, just that even weakest elements aren't a big problem.

I would love a sequel that expands even further on the exploration mechanics, with more in-depth flying, sailing, & underwater shit.
>>
It's a garbage game. This is coming from a big Zelda fan.
>>
As a long time Zelda fan, its an exceptional game. The overworld is what I yearned for since Wind Waker. My only complaint is the dungeons. I wanted more labyrinths out in the world as well as traditional dungeons. I breezed through the Divine Beasts so quickly. And the desert area was too small and trivial. I would give the game a 9/10.
>>
>>387257649
Nope. After the figurative erection died, it started to feel more and more like other sandbox games. Still a great game but 10/10? Nah. 9/10
>>
>>387259069
>All reviews are done by brainlets
this is true, as a genuine professional journalist the idea of videogame journalism is a fucking joke

>videogames are a brainlet medium
not true, they just tend to attract sperglords
>>
7/10
>>
>>387257649
It's not a 100% perfect game, but it's good. Maybe a 9/10
>>
>>387258695
Nearly all major outlets have a review process for reviews before they're published so they meet site standards and can be bumped.

So, yes. They kind of are.
>>
Best game of all time.
>>
>>387259240
Objectively the best opinion on the internet.
>>
>>387259240
I sincerely have no idea why /v/ or anyone for that matter care for this fat faggot's opinion, he's a clickbaity entertainer and nothing else, he's been fired from numerous game sites for being too clickbaity and controversial, his whole shtick is that he's an edgy faggot. How can anyone take him seriously? Specially when everything he does, he does ironically because his persona is a contrarian edgy faggot who goes against the stream to create controversy for controversy's sake...
>>
I like it for having the option to end it whenever you want.
I played 120 hours, but getting all the trials become bothersome because a lot becomes same-y over time. The overal plot basicaly does not exist moving forward, only fleshing out the past.
Apart from that, I wonder how it will evolve moving forward.
>>
>>387259685
People only started to care about him when he gave BoTW a 7/10. He's also a big time Sony fanboy, so there's that too.
>>
>>387259240
>Still mad about that review

Zeldafags are the worst
>>
>>387259685
>How can anyone take him seriously?
well there's your problem, if people just ignored these talentless fucks they'd fade away
>>
>>387259685
>he's a clickbaity entertainer and nothing else

You just summed up why he still has an audience.
>>
>>387257649
I have too many problems with it to call it a masterpiece. Maybe the sequel that irons out all the issues and focuses more on core content could be. I hope Nintendo is intensely self-critical at least, and doesn't let all the praise go to their heads.
>>
File: Link&Midna2.jpg (194KB, 1152x648px)
Link&Midna2.jpg
194KB, 1152x648px
It's better than SS and let's you climb/explore anywhere so that mechanic is fantastic but overall I don't think it's deserving of a 10/10 nor is it a game I'll ever replay. BoTW starts off strong but after so many hours it becomes really tedious to the point where I don't want to play it. There are too many shrines, the weapons suck and can't be repaired, enemy variety is shit, Ganon is shit, no dungeons, the towns are lifeless, korok seeds, plot and music are too minimalist to the point where I don't care about Hyrule, the characters, the events, or anything, side missions are handled worse than fucking Skyrim, and you can explore but there's nothing to really actually explore like ancient tombs or dead towns, just mountains and wastelands of fucking nothing.

Pretty disappointing really. Still it made me get around to playing Witcher 3 which was fantastic so I'll give it that.
>>
>>387259801
>Primarily plays on PC.
>Has been incredibly critical of Sony as of late.
>A /v/irgin calling someone else a contrarian.
LMAO!

>H-he's a Sony fanboy.
You sound like the only things you know about him is what other people have told you about him. Sounds about right. /v/ loves to parrot.
>>
File: 1502821524808.gif (488KB, 500x208px)
1502821524808.gif
488KB, 500x208px
>>387259685
Hold back on the tears. He's just an entertainer on the internet. No need to get worked over something that doesn't affect you.
>>
>>387259810
Remember how long they held onto that 8.8 rage? They truly are the worst fanboy sycophants.
>>
>>387257649
It's the best single player game of the year.

Everything that Zelda was relatively poor at doing, it does excellently. Everything that Zelda did exceptionally well, BotW does only decently.

All in all its an 8 or 9/10 Zelda game, and relative to other games this year, it's a 10/10. It's also a great template to build even greater Zelda games off of. There's a bunch of minor things about the game that could be different or better.
>>
>>387259240
His review was annoying as hell to read. You could tell he was uninterested in the game before he even started it because he was still high off of horizon. Half the information in his reviews are just plain wrong like he thought you had to clear a shrine to unlock it's fast travel point
>>
>>387259969
I thin this game would instantly go down as a goat classic if there was just more fucking depth to character interaction

yes there are some circumstances where if you complete an objective or get an item early then there will be a different line of dialogue but that's as deep as the system gets

for a game that builds its over-world so well it sure as hell fucking struggles to populate it with meaningful characters

there are some memorable ones, sure, but the way in which you interact with them feels like you're just reading a signpost next to them

in fact i'd go so far as to say that you could replace half the characters with a notice board and the experience would remain the same
>>
>>387257649
I'm not a Zelda fan so I don't know if my opinion means much but I'm selling my copy. I played about 25 hours and just don't feel the appeal. Just was generally bored. I tried exploring and all that but nothing was terribly interesting or nice to look at. I enjoyed finding novel ways to kill enemies but that wore off fast. I found the dungeons and stuff boring. I'd give it a 5/10 personally.
>>
File: IMG_1802.jpg (17KB, 250x196px)
IMG_1802.jpg
17KB, 250x196px
Pure, mechanical gameplay, yes it's astounding. They managed to create and polish movement, combat, climbing, and dozens of other gameplay mechanics that are better than any other open world game on the market. Also the map is huge.

While high praise is deserved for the technical side of things, everything else is pretty abysmal as far as "Zelda" goes. It has the worst story, the worst music, NO worthwile collectibles, NO worthwile sidequests, and NO worthwhile secrets. Hell, the main collect-quest is 900 seeds spread out over like 5 puzzles that repeat themselves over and over and over.

What they need to do is take the huge open world, the near perfeft mechanics, and give us actual shit to do. With a real adventure, REAL collectibles and quests. The 900 korok seed shit is unforgivable.
>>
>>387258305
I like tlou as well.
>>
File: 1502800757656.jpg (186KB, 990x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1502800757656.jpg
186KB, 990x1500px
>>387259685
>>387259801
>Triggered Zeldaphiles.
Show me on the doll where the fatty touched you.
>>
>>387257649
It's a great foundation for future Zeldas to build upon.
>>
>>387260259
I think Twilight HD should've scored lower for being an underwhelming touch up unlike Wind Waker HD. These fans need to take it down a notch. They're insufferable little shits.
>>
>>387257649
Yes. I wish the game was more challenging tho, but hey, it's Nintendo. They deal mostly with kids and casuls. They couldn't possibly make the game any harder. The only thing I REALLY didn't like about the game was the final boss final form. Kinda meh. Also, what people complain about the most is the weapons short durability. It's annoying at first, but you eventually get used to it. Especially after you find places on the map where monsters drop your favorite weapons.
Not my favorite Zelda (I'm a Skyward Sword fanboy), but it's almost as good. Totally different styles, so you can't really compare them, so I decided that BotW deserves second place. 9.5/10 overall, Zelda fans MUST play it, and everyone who doesn't hate Zelda should play it too.
>>
>>387258305

Try
>BotW is great and TLOU is a decent movie game, and my assessment has jack shit to do with what the reviews say either way.
>>
>>387260504

I have a less-shitty version of this plush.
>>
>>387260395
It why time and time again in these threads I've maintained that they've laid the groundwork for a 10/10 Zelda game with BoTW now we've just got to wait for it and all that about characters and plot? I'll bring it back to Witcher 3 where both were so mastfully crafted that I couldn't put the game down. The world was so alive and some of the plots were the best I've experienced in vidya. If the next Zelda could capture some of that, tone down the shrine numbers and collectables and populate the world with interesting locations to explore/dungeons it would be GOTYAY.
>>
>>387260249
I'm not mad, I'm confused. I enjoy his entertainment but I realise it's entertainment, not actual critiques or facts.

I mean, not even he takes himself seriously and this should be blatantly obvious with his thank God for me or dragon dildo memes.

>>387259801
Maybe, but if you look his past reviews you see he always do this shit with prominent games just to generate controversy or praise a blatantly bad or niche game to poke the popular opinion, like praising CoD when it was cool to shit on the franchise because muh sequels are equal...
>>
>>387260259
That's because they are filled with brainwashed normies, Zelda is entry-level "geek culture" and massively shilled so whenever anything contradicts the media brainwashing they literally throw autistic fits.

It's the same phenomena as what happens when someone criticises JustiBieber/Twilight/flavor of the month in front of teenage girls.
>>
>>387260890
I'm with you on that one mate, but on the flipside for that the witcher 3 gameplay got stale as fuck for me

suffered from the botw problem where after the tutorial bit all the difficulty just dissipated, at lest botw had the climbing mechanics and shit and there was much more interesting suff to explore for

not to say that tw3 was bad but you can tell corners were cut to focus on the story. Also the witcher's main storyline was the shitest, cheesiet thing I've ever had to play through, it;s nothing without the sidequests
>>
File: Dude, Jimmy Nutron smokes weed.webm (783KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Dude, Jimmy Nutron smokes weed.webm
783KB, 640x640px
Oh Jim, you beautifully obese trash bag of mayonnaise. You'll live on in infamy for what you did. I didn't even know he was certified on Metacritic before the fallout happened. Oh well, it's not like one point is gonna kill anyone.
>>
>>387257649
>poor voice acting
>mediocre plot
>once you overpower the enemies combat becomes practically pointless
>rupee rewards for sidequests useless once you can just sell gems and other pointless shit
>disappointing boss fights
>released on nintendo systems that cant fully realize the visuals
>barely any enemy variety
>cooking ruined as common items are literally better than complex expensive meals

And yet I still poured 170 hours into it and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the most fun I've had with open world gameplay and might even replay the entire thing on Master Mode. Something about the open world and exploration of this game is so endlessly appealing it's almost good enough to overlook every flaw it's surrounded by
>>
>>387261427
He'd look normal if he'd shave that beard and get a decent haircut. Even just the beard would work wonders.
>>
>>387261375
Huh I agree completely with every point actually although for some reason everyone hates Ciri but I quite like her
>>
I am terrified that the success of this game will teach other developers that having 90 percent of the enemies you find one hit kill the player is a good thing.

Absolutely the worst part of this game. Would be a 10/10 if the combat wasn't one-shot filled.
>>
>>387261616
I think it looks quite charming.
>>
>>387261706
it's just her voice actor and the way they wrote her, you ever read the books?

sure she started out as a noble but when she was 10 she was basically kidnapped and dragged through a lifetime of shit

by the end she was running with bandits who were sexually abusing her lesbian style before being captured by elves plotting to rape her

no way would she keep her boarding school accent and desu senpai she'd turned into a bit of a hard cunt not an "up and attem!" action hero
>>
>>387257649
Not a 10 but damn near one I'd say a nine would be right in my opinion.
>>
>>387262073
That'll be why then as I have no interest in the books.
>>
>>387262338
don't blame you man, I'm a /lit/izen and they're my genre-trash guilty pleasure

absolute dogshite but good to read outside on a sunny day
>>
>>387261776
Second half of the game does a complete reversal and becomes too easy. Even a big pack of upgraded enemies with good weapons is pointless because

>can get hit 3 times with daruk's protection, no damage
>mipha's grace and 1-3 fairies means I can die numerous times
>urbosa's fury the shit out of them
>can just spam bomb or ice arrows from a distance
>huge inventory of cheap meals that insantly restore all health and massively boost defense/attack

at least when everything is too powerful you have to actually care and think about what you're doing. the combat stops being fun once you overpower everything. I hated how half the game I avoided guadians because I was afraid of them and then when I finally tried I realized you can easily just freeze them, cut their legs and then they don't do shit. Not exactly the exciting fight from the announcement trailer.
>>
>>387262571
Dude, hard mode. LMAO.
>>
>>387262571
this

think I died once in the tutorial bit, should have died to a lynol but I got fairy rezzed, should have died to camel ganon but I got fairy rezzed four times and mipha's graced in between getting electric spammed and mashing my way to victory because I didn't have a clue what i was supposed to do

after pouring hundreds of hours into the souls franchise this game was a breeze
>>
>>387262848
for $19.99 plus tax, yeah. Shouldn't have to play hard mode just to get a normal experience, they clearly don't have a grip on how combat should work and seem to think that the easier it becomes the more players will feel empowered. Same with the Divine Beasts shortening the final boss, that's more punishment than a reward.

And Master Mode isn't good either, they should've addressed the problems I mentioned and made the champion powers weaker, make arrows harder to get, required expensive complicated meals, etc. Regenerating health is such a lazy artificial attempt at difficulty, and most times it just makes the combat more clunky as you're fighting damage sponges, not genuinely challenging enemies.
>>
>>387263156
What's the problem here? I'm mean for $20 dollars you're getting a pretty good deal. Trials, Master Quest, and added story DLC.
>>
>>387257649
No game yet has deserved a 10/10 because no game has ever been perfect but I still think BotW was a very enjoyable game that showed a lot of promise for how the Zelda franchise could evolve.

pros
+ the open ended manner of completing tasks and the game itself
+ virtually no handholding
+ controls and movement were great
+ lots of hidden things to discover
+ open-ended inventory with lots of different weapons to find and utilize
+ bigger towns with more sidequests available from the NPCs
+ different armor/outfits all with special effects
+combat mechanics allowed for more versatility and options to each encounter

cons
- durability system, while not bad in and of itself, needs a lot of fine-tuning to strike a better balance and provide more incentive to finding rare or unique weapons and discourage hoarding of those weapons for fear of losing them. Finding a rare weapon tucked away hardly felt all that special when I knew it was going to break just as quickly as every other weapon
- the actual secrets themselves to be discovered weren't especially interesting (shrines and korok seeds)
- 900 korok seeds
- shrines took away from the organic feeling of the world. I would have rather seen the puzzles just integrated into the landscapes and environments instead of each shrine whisking you away to some self contained pocket dimension to complete an arbitrary task. Like instead of a shrine, put the puzzle in a cave and remove the loading screen
- climbing, while a good mechanic itself, often resulted in some very long boring methods for getting around and occasionally made it feel more like you were just cheesing the game to get somewhere instead of figuring out the optimal way it was meant to be done.
- classic items like the hookshot/grappling hook were sorely missed and would have offered quite a bit to the physics based puzzles and traversal
- sidequest rewards were often just rupies or items to sell for rupies
- not enough actual dungeons
>>
>>387263156
all the divine beasts should have done was clear a path to gannons castle and make it enter-able

to keep the "open world" theme you should have the option to just tank your way through a barrier with max hearts or spamming food heals
>>
>>387263521
(cont.)
I have other pros and cons but my main point is that for everything it did right that I really liked and appreciated, it also did something wrong that rubbed me the wrong way and. It was an overall enjoyable adventure but I think there's a lot of room for improvement and if they can fix some of those cons (which I mostly attribute to "growing pains" of trying something new with the formula), I think they could have an absolutely amazing Zelda game on their hands.

All in all, I did enjoy the game but It'd give it maybe an 8/10.
>>
>>387263521
If there's been no game that's been a 10/10, why measure /10 if that's not an actual possible ranking? How can you quantify a 10/10 if it apparently has never happened?
>>
>>387257649
no but an 8 or 9 is pretty fair. it has a lot of hours to offer. i loved it but after you beat it there isn't much to do, and the final boss is a disappointment when it comes to difficulty.
>>
>>387257649
7/10

>Weapon durability was a mistake
>Open World focus hurt the game as a whole
>Dungeons (and their bosses) are very simplistic and, to be frank, boring as shit.
>Lack of good, memorable tracks
>Ubisoft towers are copypasted and repetitive after the first couple, felt like a drag to up your stamina bar more than anything (which should've been bigger in the first place)
>Story is a complete and utter mess

Good game, but it felt like the whole thing was still unfinished and rough in lots of areas. Not the masterpiece Ninteshills or /v/ manchildren hyped it out as, that's for sure.
>>
>>387263512
I agree it's a good deal but I wish they would've given us hard mode straight away if we bought the expansion pass or something, just it didn't end up coming out after I already beat the game.

>>387263597
This. Especially since the whole "you can beat ganon immediately!" thing isn't really true, you can't possibly do that without having at least 30-40 hours of experience with the game and no one would even care to try on their first run anyway.
>>
not perfect but it has huge potential and will hopefully pave the road for future open world games. Next Zelda better have AT LEAST 8 real dungeons, divine beasts are boring puzzle fests with zero (zero) replayability, once you know the puzzle then fall asleep and go through the motions. Hyrule castle is the games only true dungeon, maybe once they fire aonuma's talentless ass we can get real dungeons where you can climb and glide around inside them.
>>
One of the biggest flaws, weapons breaking, could be fixed if high grade weapons broke, but did not dissapear while crap weapons like bokoblin clubs still do. If we needed to find a blacksmith to repair metal weapons it would make them worth holding on to, while adding the benefit of not holding nothing but high grade weapons and picking up weaker ones because they don't clog your inventory.
>>
>>387263948
I didn't say it's not a possible rank to achieve, I just said that, in my opinion, no game has deserved that perfect score. Every game thus far has had it's own share of flaws, and while the overall positives may have been enough to detract from the impact of those flaws, they still exist and had a slight effect on the experience.

A 10/10 game would have absolutely nothing that hampers the experience in any way, no matter how slight. Just because no game has achieved this yet doesn't mean the ranking should be changed though because it essentially implies that whatever the new lowered maximum number is implies that is new perfection. It would be like a test with 100 questions and reducing the maximum score to 90 just because nobody in the class was able to answer all questions perfectly. We shouldn't start grading games on a curve just because no game has achieved perfection yet.
>>
>>387263521
I never had an issue with the durability, there's only four types of weapons anyway and you're constantly finding new and similar ones. Whenever one broke I'd just move to one of the other dozen weapons I'm carrying, of which one of them is bound to control nearly identically to the one that broke.

I also think shrines are questionable but would've been better if they did more with them. If they themed the visual presentation with more variety than identical interiors for each one, and the puzzles weren't either a guardian battle or rune puzzle it would've made them infinitely better.

>>387264047
The ambient music for the overworld is sweet, I don't get why people are against that. I just wish the towns had a few more memorable tracks, gerudo town and goron city were really generic and disappointing when the same game scored tracks like rito village and the incredible music from all the trailers.
>>
>>387257649
Honestly i'm still amazed at how much praise this game got, it's not a bad game at all but god damn is it overrated
>>
>>387260890
>plot
>plot
>plot

If you want a plot go read a book faggot. This board is for vidya games.
>>
>>387261427

>dude millennial neutron will have a hard time getting any jobs as a cart pusher with this webm on the internet
>>
>>387264987
Zelda doesn't need deep plot, it just needs enough to make the player care about and be able to immerse in the game's world. Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker etc all managed that, BotW really didn't. Aside from the Zora's every character is a literally who, the Champions barely got screen time, every Zelda cutscene boiled down to her whining about the same shit, and once characters aren't relevant to the story anymore they have 0 gameplay interaction. Why not give us a sidequest to do with each "new" champion instead of Sidon standing in place, repeating the same line as soon as he doesn't matter anymore?
>>
>>387259240
>7/10 is bad
>>
>>387257649
I'd say so. Got in on launch, have over 200 hours on it now. Pretty fun to replay, and the world always has new things to find. Things like the korok seeds are annoying to me because i generally don't notice them, but the fact that they are optional makes up for it entirely. I can't really think of any other games that I can say i liked more. I have games that I've put more time into, but this is still better.
>>
>does it deserve all the 10/10s it deserved
No. It's a great game with some very legitimate gripes. The game reaches its peak when you're just out exploring, finding new shit and soaking in the atmosphere. The world is varied and beautiful, I think there's just enough enemy placement (plenty of combat to be had without weighing you down) and being able to scale anything is a definite plus. Unlocking every rune right out of the gate and not walling you off was a good choice also.

Shrines range from fun to absolute tedious dogshit, though. They would have done better to leave the strongest 80 and leave others out altogether. The Gorons and Zora got way too much attention compared to the Rito, which comparatively felt very glossed over and frankly unfinished. Weapon degradation wasn't necessarily a mistake, but weapons break (or lose charge) far too quickly, and given the rate at which you're having to cycle through they definitely could have done a better job with weapon swapping and inventory management.

All told, I feel like it was a very good effort and it's really a great game. It's a more seamless transition to open world gameplay than anybody could have reasonably expected, but it's not without its growing pains.
>>
File: 77.jpg (12KB, 324x156px) Image search: [Google]
77.jpg
12KB, 324x156px
>>387265930
yes
>>
>>387257649
Not at all. I'd give it a 7.5/10, now that I've completed everything and had time to consider what I liked and didn't like.. It's absolutely a good game, but it's got plenty of room to improve. It's still arguably one of the best games of the year regardless though.
>>
>>387258305
Yeah this a pretty accurate representation of how basically anybody only throws up review scores when they're in support of a game they like being good or a game they hate (and most likely haven't played) being bad.

As for the thread, BotW is okay but it's definitely a trudge. This multi-dimensional shit that's supposed to be so impressive, giving you a bunch of in-engine ways to tackle a given challenge, is mad overrated. It just makes it a fun game to break but not any more special to actually play. tl;dr it is good but no it did not deserve so many 10/10s
>>
Ask yourself this. If it wasn't a Zelda game and came out on another system what score would you give it?
>>
>>387257649

A 9 at the very least
Breakable weapons is encounraging you to keep the flow going not constantly taking weapons from your enemies and learning to scourage

Shrines are great for one off puzzles

Yeah story isn't strong, but enjoying the game enough to not really care, the characters being great are good enough
>>
>>387267880
>here's why things that most people had problems with are actually good
I can respect that you're contrarian for the sake of positivity but you're still full of shit
>>
>>387258452
So stop playing you clueless fucking moron. You ruined an incredible experience for yourself because you're an OCD moron.
>>
Haven't felt a sense of freedom and exploration like that in a long time. It's a masterpiece in my book.
>>
>>387264791
>I never had an issue with the durability, there's only four types of weapons anyway and you're constantly finding new and similar ones. Whenever one broke I'd just move to one of the other dozen weapons I'm carrying, of which one of them is bound to control nearly identically to the one that broke
right but that was sort of my problem with it. The game gave you plenty of weapons so you were never in a situation where you felt ill-equipped but it also meant that even a lot of rarer weapons didn't feel special. What I would have liked to see would have been higher durability on everything, less of the game literally shitting weapons on you, and more unique weapons with distinct special properties and abilities. Maybe even go deeper and allow crafting of properties to weapons and the ability to repair them at a higher cost. The system worked out alright but I would have rather seen a system that treated weapons less like consumables and more like something important.

>I also think shrines are questionable but would've been better if they did more with them. If they themed the visual presentation with more variety than identical interiors for each one, and the puzzles weren't either a guardian battle or rune puzzle it would've made them infinitely better.
This too. Visual variety would have gone hand in hand with integrating dungeons into the environments themselves but yeah, that's definitely something they were sorely lacking.
>>
In retrospect it's certainly not perfect, but it reminded me of what I used to love about open-world games, before they got filled with hundreds of map icons and boring copy+paste sidequests that have you do the same thing in different areas and pointless XP bars because god forbid the content itself be its own reward. It was as simple a decision as "don't put anything on the map, let the players find shit for themselves" and it increased my enjoyment of the game tenfold. And rag on Nintendo all you want for using the Ubisoft "climb the tower to fill in the map" thing, but it was so much more useful in Zelda since high vantage points and being able to see across the horizon to find areas you want to explore actually mattered.
>>
Making a Zelda game based on open ended problem solving just feels like cheating. There's no gratification of finding the "solution," just endless experimentation with a litany of different ways to do things that probably all work if you get the circumstances right.
>>
>>387264609
I can't imagine being as fucking joyless and critical as you. Your life must be a nightmare.
>>
What especially boggles my mind is that /v/ of all places would rate a game so highly across the board when it has forced motion control puzzles
>>
>>387268185
>>387258452

>tfw haven't maxed out any of the armors in the game and don't intend to
>Haven't completed most secondaries that seemed boring
>haven't bothered slaying all hinoxes/Lynels/Stone talus
>barely have 90 korok seeds
>still play from time to time to get some stuff done and get immersed

Easily best experience with Zelda since WW. If you don't like collecting stuff just don't.
>>
>>387267876
ASK YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1495442665637.png (238KB, 439x439px)
1495442665637.png
238KB, 439x439px
>>387257649
This thread is surprisingly positive for /v/.

I'm curious though, is it really as good as you faggots are suggesting? I mean REALLY?
Look, I've just recently bought a Switch and my copy of BoTW is arriving tomorrow so I'll be finding out soon anyway, but I just don't see how people can give it so much praise when dungeons and enemy variety are supposedly very sub par.

Is it truly that good despite those things being lacking?

Final question as well.
I like games to be difficult, although I've heard mostly negative things about the DLC hard mode. Is it worth getting? I just don't wanna steam roll through the game and I doubt the base game can give me the challenge I crave.
>>
>>387267876
>>387269295
If the sky was green and grass was blue would you still be so gay?
>>
Metacritic score says 8.1, and I still feel that's a tad too high. It's more of a 7.5 imo.

It's the first Zelda I couldn't be bothered to finish. Which is ironic as finishing it can be done at any time.
>>
>>387268795
I said the game was an 8 out of 10. That's a good score. It means I liked the game and found its strengths greater than its weaknesses. Just because something isn't perfect doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable and just because something is good doesn't mean it can't be critiqued. How in the fuck did you even manage to interpret what I said as "NOTHING IS PERFECT THEREFORE EVERYTHING IS SHIT"?
>>
>>387269368
The hard mode can be somewhat challenging if you aren't prepared. Link can get really overpowered if you grind for stuff though.
>>
>>387269368
I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't bought a console since the PS2 "back in the days" and the last game that I put more than 20 hours into was Skyrim when it was new. I'm now considering buying a Switch just for Zelda and Mario later this year. I enjoyed Twilight Princess a lot but it was also very story driven for a Zelda game and had some unique dungeons and characters, all of which is supposed to be lacking in BotW.
>>
>>387269513
How can you rate it if you haven't even played it? If you did play it, you'd know it doesn't deserve just an 8/10.
>>
>>387269368
Even if I praise it as "the best game ever made", don't believe the hype. At the minimum everyone can agree it's a competent game, from there it's a matter of taste. As for your question, the dungeons aren't bad they are just far too short, but I do agree enemy variety is pretty lackluster

master mode isn't worth it
>>
I still think that it does. The first 30 hours or so are magical and I don't see it being topped any time soon. Then it definitely plateaus but it still far and away better than most other games to ever exist.
>>
>>387269368
Honestly, if you have the game already, you shouldn't be asking others what their opinions are. That will only fuck with your perception and ruin your experience. Just play the game yourself and form your own conclusions.
>>
>>387269368
You'll find out soon enough, but it's genuinely not that great. It's just 7pm EST in the US and all the kiddies are online right now. So you're gonna see more praise from fanboys.

I won't soil the experience for you, since you're gonna play it anyway. But the game's best moments are in the beginning, that's when the game is most challenging, and you're filled with the biggest sense of wonderment and exploration. At around... the 20th, the games true colors begin to show, and it's nothing but disappointment.

If you like Zelda games, this one will undoubtedly let you down.

Word of advice, after the Plateau, head toward Kakariko village, and them explore the world and do the dungeons in counterclockwise order. After that collect the memories and unlock the remaining towers.

That's the optimal way to play for the most enjoyment.
>>
>>387269714
BotW has better characterS than twilight princess. Midna is the only character that is good in TP, and even she can get annoying
>>
Every Zelda game where the last boss is bad, is bad by default
>>
>>387269368
>when dungeons and enemy variety are supposedly very sub par.
The dungeons are great, not sure why people didn't like them. The DLC hard mode is decent but play normal instead. The sword trial is fun though.
>>
>>387270013
Speak for yourself, I love the other Zelda games and thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. It's not black and white and neither can you make such sure generalizations
>>
>>387269819
Not him, but you're right, it doesn't deserve an 8/10. It's more of a 7/10 at best.
>>
>>387269975
>I don't play many games: the post.
>>
>>387270020
True, she is the only one that is truly fleshed out but there are a lot of memorable characters or groups of characters that made the world seem more alive. Like the gang from the starting village, the adventure club people in Hyrule City, the yetis, Zant (before he "goes insane" and gets replaced by Gannon at least), Zelda.
>>
>>387270279
You again?
>>
>>387270142
If love Zelda games, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be disappointed by the lack of ZELDA in this game.

It's only Zelda in characters, aesthetic, and title.
>>
>>387270457
Explain
>>
>>387270454
You asked.

So long as you retards keep using "post proofs" to sidestep solid arguments from other anons, rather than using reason to defend your arguments, I'll keep stepping in to shut you down.

Maybe someday, you morons will finally go away, and we'll be able to have a decent discussion about this game's merits and flaws.
>>
>>387270428
Zelda isn't even decent in TP, she got literally no screentime/development
>>
>>387269819
But I have played it. I played, finished, and enjoyed it. It was a good game but there were areas that needed improvement and I hope to see Nintendo continue with the formula and make those improvements. It's a good start to a new system of mechanics but it's flawed and not meeting it's potential. I have outlined some of what I liked and didn't like here >>387263521
Feel free to read through that once again and see that I have made a case for my argument. Unless you plan on taking Miyamoto's dick out of your mouth long enough to have a civil conversation about the game and explain why you think the game deserves a better score, this will be the last (you) I give you.
>>
>>387257649

6/10, it succeeds at the things it clearly tried to excel in but it feels like a weak Zelda as a result. Yeah, the overworld is nice, the mechanics are solid and the sense of freedom is the best the series has ever conveyed. That's nice, but I really miss my good dungeon design, steady intervals of new item acquisitions, and a well structured main quest to follow. BotW isn't a shit game by any measure but it wasn't what I wanted out of this series and it didn't do enough to make me fall in love with open world titles, which I usually avoid. If others thought it was great then cool but I'm not a huge fan.
>>
>>387270626
Actually I'm not even him, I'm just surprised why you always seem to come in and post the same picture and say the same opinion over and over again. And, I know you have noticed by now, you are replying to almost the same person every time recently. His writing style and content is obvious that it comes from one person. What are you hoping to accomplish?
>>
>>387270626
Yeah, but it's not like your shitposting is going to convince anyone, anon.
>>
File: oldcontemptdude.jpg (152KB, 511x471px)
oldcontemptdude.jpg
152KB, 511x471px
>>387269368
>Is it truly that good despite those things being lacking?

Well anon, the thing is that they openly focused on other things while developing this game. If you get into the game expecting specific "zelda stuff" and you don't find it, you might not enjoy yourself.
This Zelda game has other strengths that the franchise has been lacking in several installments and a bunch of others that are completely new, but you should find out about them by yourself. I personally adored it.
>>387270013
>If you like Zelda games, this one will undoubtedly let you down.
I'm a huge Zelda nerd and Zelda has not been this good to me since WW.
>>
>>387270687
He's that same guy that is borderline FFXV-kun. There's that one guy in every single fanbase. You should do well to ignore him next time
>>387270770
The beasts have great level design imo
>>
>>387270586
No classic, Zelda items, characters aren't as memorable, no iconic tracks, side quests are mostly generic fetch quests, no proper dungeons, bosses are damage sponges, combat sucks dick low enemy variety, the lead ins for the dungeons aren't as iconic or memorable as other Zeldas, the game lacks the quirky charm of say WW and OoT, dungeons are copy pastes of each other, and not very intricate or complex, final boss literally stands there for you to kill it, dungeon variety is incredibly disappointing, progression is totally fucked and the game has an inverted difficulty curve...

I could go on...
>>
>>387257649
Only on PC at 4K it is a 10/10. The artsyle really only shines at high resolutions
>>
>>387257649
Almost. My only real complaint is that the voice acting is shit they shouldn't have even bothered. Not just English, they all suck.
>>
>>387259623
oh look, it's another fat cunt that shoves things up his fat ass.
>>
>>387270789
No, but maybe it'll make you go away, and encourage other anons to voice their opinion, knowing other people agree with them, rather than let them get bullied by the likes of you.
>>
>>387271051
Shitposting just means you're autistic.
>>387270941
Ah, so just trolling then. Should have known.
>>
>>387270941
I disagree with the characters, lead in, combat in comparison to TP. Some of the problems you listed are present in all zeldas, such as an inverted difficulty curve and easy puzzles.

No memorable tracks and copy paste dungeons are kind of objectively wrong too
>>
>>387270941
Lol no you couldn't bitch or you would have.
>>
File: 1499779030092.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1499779030092.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>387271134
How am I trolling?

How about instead of calling me a troll, you explain why I'm wrong. Because I'm not.
>>
>>387270941
>bosses are damage sponges
What. If anything they don't have enough health, they go down too fast. What even is a damage sponge to you?
>>
>>387270687
>>387270279
Why would you buy the game then if you didn't like it? It's not Zelda's fault you went into it expecting to hate it. It's unfair to Nintendo.
>>
It's like a light to decent 7. There's a lot of bullshit that adds up over time.
>shrines suck because they're mostly all are same-looking, boring, and lazy
(though a couple are pretty neat)
>almost every sidequest just leads to more shitty shrines
>rains too fucking much which prevents you from fucking playing the actual game
>the narrative that gannon is this destroyer that fucked up hyrule is just plain contradictory
>so much time waiting through shitty/overplayed cutscenes
>having weapons break so easily for no good reason, especially when the master sword needs recharge time constantly
>horses control like ass
>pathetic variety of enimies
>pathetic dungeon/dungeon boss execution
>disappointing final boss
etc. I could just go on

The first 5 hours or so are 10/10, though. Which makes sense why reviewers would rate it so highly now- they only played for a bit.
>>
>>387271227
Can you seriously stop having the same """argument""" with the same person over and over again? It's just annoying and derails threads to hell and back. It's just an autistic back and forth between you and one person who frankly isn't worth replying to at fucking all
>>
>>387257649
10/10 open world design
5/10 puzzles
7/10 combat until you realize there's almost no reason to fight anything

Overall a pretty good game. Hopefully this will set a new standard for open world design cause almost all current open world games suck.
>>
>>387271324
That's objectively wrong though, if you read the reviews they detail things that happen far beyond 5 hours into the game.
>>
The 5 hours was a just a guess. The point of the post is that it's pretty good at first, but the longer you play it, the more the flaws are obvious.

Most reviewers don't try to 100% the game.
>>
File: h.gif (2MB, 540x404px)
h.gif
2MB, 540x404px
for me personally, the whole Hylian aesthetic of the Zelda series isn't as captivating, for me. To me, what matters in open world games are what happens after the main story and what i ultimately make of the gameplay loop. Exploring the map was an awesome experience, my favorite areas were the wide open green fields as you watch the clouds roll over the land. Whats disappointing about this is the fact the clouds only look good when you're not looking at them. See the clouds in this game have great shadows but look horrendous. The combat in this game is my main gripe. I know Nintendo wanted to bring the series into a new direction but keeping that 4 hit combo is so annoying. Parrying and flurry rush are nice enough but don't cut it. you can shield parry but not sword parry. So during combat the follow up to a shield parry isn't satisfying. Flurry rush is cool at first but isn't fun or satisfying to repeat, which is something that makes combat tedious as you continually flurry. I would have gladly removed any trace of flurry rush for a combat modifier with the left stick. having to hit an enemy four times and then chase after their rag-dolled body is not fun at all. why not give us the ability to slow down in midair with a charged sword attack. or even sword to sword combat. that would have been fun to engage enemies with. I honestly think that nintendo should have introduced BOTW as a new IP like ARMS(punch out roots). The Zelda aesthetic and conventions holds it back imo. I dont know why Nintendo continues to believe that people like projecting themselves onto link, I dont care at all for that. SIlent link is the staple of the series but this yet again holds it back. Link "interacting" with everyone in the past is hard to watch because he stands there like an idiot. At this point in the game, anything cool ends up becoming shrine or korok bait.
>>
>>387257649
9/10 imo, there are some nagging issues like the side quests being dick most of the time, but nothing enough to ruin an experience
>>
>>387271521
meant to reply to
>>387271445
>>
>>387271521
Of course, but most people won't either, so i don't get your point really. They represent what an average player would go through pretty well.
>>
>>387257649
Played it on Cemu and really glad I did. Quite a good game
>>
>>387270941
>characters aren't as memorable
Not true. There's more characters than ever due to the nature of the game, so some of them are clearly just for bulking up towns a bit, but it still had its usual share of memorable whacky characters.

>no iconic tracks
Best music direction in several installments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cQ4cFo3jc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqKowuTPmH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj07-YU5cTk

>side quests are mostly generic fetch quests
There's more sidequests than ever. Some of them are fetchquests, some others are better than anything you could find in TP or SS.

>combat sucks dick
Combat is the most interesting it's ever been. You're supposed to do more stuff than slashing niggers with your melee weapon of choice.

>the game lacks the quirky charm of say WW and OoT
The game finally got back the quirky charm of WW and Oot*

The rest of things you listed are mostly due to the game focusing other things than usual. They are not flaws per se.
>>
>>387271708
Regardless, I didn't even try to 100% the game and all these flaws bothered me.

It's just hard for me to believe that someone would play 50+ (around average if not below) hours into this game and still give it a 10/10. These aren't bugs or flaws that only 100%ers or speedrunners would run into, instead they're basic shit that sucks.
>>
>>387271154
>I disagree with the characters, lead in, combat in comparison to TP.
TP has the best combat in the series, it just lacks the difficulty to back it up.

As for characters, compare Tetra to BotW Zelda, and tell me which has more development and personality.

The 4 champions are awfully forgettable, especially in contrast to say Medli and Makar, who you actually build s bond with.
>Some of the problems you listed are present in all zeldas, such as an inverted difficulty curve and easy puzzles.
OoT does NOT have an inverted difficulty curve, Neither does MM. Shadow Temple and Stone Tower Temple are considerably more difficult and complex than the early dungeons in the game.

Same is true for the Earth and Wind temples in WW, and the snow mansion in TP.

Other Zeldas do not have inverted difficulty curves, in fact, most end with the most intricate and complex dungeon of their respective games. And have you fighting Darknuts and Challenging bosses in the final hours.

>No memorable tracks and copy paste dungeons are kind of objectively wrong too
The 4 divine beasts follow the EXACT same set up of activating the 5 consoles, and they all have very similar aesthetic, and essentially ZERO enemies. They also play the same music, and have very similar premises. Even their lead ins are similar. Their only differentiating factors is their core gimmick for operating the machine, and the rune power you use.

As for the music, where is the equivalent to: Ballad of the Goddess, or Dragon Roost Island, or Song of Storms, or the Forest Temple song. Sorry, but for a series in which MUSIC has been its core MOTIF, this game being lacking in that department isn't just noticeable, but JARRING.

In fact, I think every Zelda game except BotW has a music instrument you can play.
>>
>>387270020
BotW's characters are terrible, the only remotely good one is Kass.
>>
>>387271285
Because I expected a Zelda game, and got a boring open world sandbox filled with tired tropes.
>>
>>387257649
7/10 game at best

Open world genre is overdone
>>
>>387271360
Perhaps stop making the same threads again and again, or just take this shit to /vg/ like you should if it's a circlejerk you want.
>>
>>387271921
>>no iconic tracks
>Best music direction in several installments
Not that anon, but yeah no shit, especially considering that the last major 3D Zelda game everyone mostly likes is TP from ten years ago, and SS being six years, no shit it's the best music direction in several installments. That doesn't really argue his point.

Really the only contestable track you have is maybe Haetano village because at least it has a sort of memorable and singable melody line.
>>
>>387270941
None of this has anything to do with botw not being a zelda game
>>
>>387257649
I'm 30 hours into master mode and it is glorious. The difficulty is so good. Attempting the master trials are really satisfying. Give it a go.
>>
File: gh.gif (3MB, 440x330px)
gh.gif
3MB, 440x330px
>first Zelda game with full voice acting
>tfw link STILL only talks in text form.
What the fuck is Nintendos problem? Link is so wacky and kinda interesting when talking to npcs, but in cutscenes, he may as well not be present.
>>
File: 1490321278695.gif (2MB, 500x390px)
1490321278695.gif
2MB, 500x390px
>>387257649
I absolutely loved this game. It feels like a game that you actually play, and interact with. Most games that come out today just feel like a fancy safari ride where you just follow the marker and look at the pretty giraffe. It's nice to play a game that feels like an actual game. Very few games feel like that today.
>>
File: Projectile01.jpg (56KB, 576x379px)
Projectile01.jpg
56KB, 576x379px
>>387271969
>where is the equivalent to: Ballad of the Goddess
Nowhere thankfully.
>>
>>387271969
Not same anon, but
>They also play the same music,
They literally do not

It's funny that you mentioned Dragon Roost island theme, when it is literally in BotW. Alongside with tons of other throwback themes and number of good new tunes.

Even the relatively quiet ambiance is utilized brilliantly.
>>
>>387270890
I liked XV too but yeah, that game also had its fair share of flaws. That's not at all surprising though considering its turbulent 10 years of development, or rather its 8 years of being on the self and year and a half of being cobbled together and rushed out the door. It's a damn shame too because like BotW, it showed some promise, but unlike BotW, there is zero chance of the world or mechanics being revisited to improve them.
>>
>>387272468
>implying they won't make XV-2

this is Square-Enix we're talking about
>>
>>387257649
I'd give it an 8/10. If you like exploration for explorations' sake however I'd say it's perfect in that regard
>>
>>387271969
>As for characters, compare Tetra to BotW Zelda, and tell me which has more development and personality.

That would be BotW Zelda.

Tetra was your generic tuff female so stronk protagonist. BotW Zelda is a bitch who can't figure out why she's a failure, figures out she's a failure, and goes through a process that you get to see before finally fulfilling her destiny. Hell, one of the major side quests of the game is going back and finding out what her deal was.

And in the end, she wasn't even oh-so-perfect ms. princess. She was unlikeable in a lot of ways, and flawed in most.

Compare that to "Oh, look, this blonde pirate girl mistaken for Zelda is ACTUALLY ZELDA"

WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED

AND WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED SHE SPENT THE REST OF THE GAME SITTING IN A ROOM DOING ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING, TOO?
>>
File: cki5oh.jpg (29KB, 720x400px)
cki5oh.jpg
29KB, 720x400px
>>387272636
>this fucking post
Someone with so much shit taste could not possibly browse /v/
>>
>>387272772
Not him, but Tetra is shit. The only good zeldas are from before the 3D era. At least BoTW zelda has some development
>>
>>387272304
TP's and SS's music direction were a mess for the series' standards. They conveyed nothing as a whole.

BotW's soundtrack has way more thought into it. Music being "singable" means shit for how well used it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1faH3ersw

Divine beasts for example had amazing music inside of them. Plus they were dinamic tracks that evolved along with how far into the puzzles you were.
>>
>>387272772
He's right though. Tetras whole story was literally I don't want to be Zelda and then she becomes Zelda.

ST zelda is best zelda
>>
File: Kass dance.gif (1MB, 320x240px)
Kass dance.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>387272914
>1:20 kicks in
>>
Played that trash for ten minutes and got bored.
>>
>>387272636
BotW's "arc" is typical anime bullshit.

>oh no I'm so useless I can't do anything
>but I have a strong will!
>wow, it turns out I'm NOT useless! who would have thought?

JRPGs reuse that trope constantly. BotW's writing is cliche as fuck. I'm not the guy you're responding to and I'm not about to praise WW's writing either, but at least it wasn't over the top cinematic bullshit. Previous Zeldas had charm without being too up their own ass, BotW thinks it's deep for attempting to deconstruct an established character when her characterization is paper thin and irrelevant to what you're actually doing in-game.
>>
>>387273106
epic
>>
>>387273114
*BotW Zelda's "arc"
>>
>>387273106
Consider medication for that
>>
>>387272636
>wooooaaah the tan tomboy girl character who was helping you the whole game up until then was REALLY ZELDA THE WHOLE TIME I NEVER SAW IT COMING
>>
>>387273114
>but I have a strong will!
But that is the opposite of what happens, in most of the memories she was sad, tired, hopeless and without knowing what to do.
>>
>>387257649
Nah. I just didn't find roaming the world as rewarding as it has to be for me to call it a 10/10. It needed more unique enemies, items and just things in general to look at.
Only thing that wasn't strictly a part of the story that actually felt like its own thing to me was freeing Naydra and Eventide, which I liked a lot. But the Hinox and Talus variations were just a let down, I was also very disheartened when I discovered there was more than one Molduga encounter.
In general a lack of the feeling of "I never seen that enemy/item/thing before" came way too early, which is absolutely vital in my opinion. Instead the game focuses more on giving you "I have never seen that happen before", which is far less interesting in my opinion.

I also have other problems with stuff like the story and the battle mechanics, but since that's not the main draw of the game I won't go into that.
>>
>>387273314
There's no medication for bad videogames.
>>
This is the first game, where after beating it I still feel compelled to pick it up and explore just a bit more.
Doesn't have to be for hours at a time, just half an hour to see something I haven't seen before or solve a side quest.
It keeps me coming back and that to me is a hallmark of a 10/10
>>
>>387273114
Did you even play the game?
In the beginning her power doesn't work, but she doesn't just sit and whine. She keeps trying to activate her powers and also starts studying the robots to make up for it, right up till gannon appears. This isn't just for other's sake, its for herself, because she feels wronged. The only reason her power activates is because she thinks link is gonna die, showing that her ego was holding her back the whole time
>>
>>387273347
To be honest, it WAS a surprise in Oot. Nothing bad about doing it again in WW, but it definitely doesn't count as striking character development anymore. More of a sort of reference to Oot.
>>
>>387273551
How would you know? You didn't play it, anon-kun. :^)
>>
>>387271969
>No memorable tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiU65nQdZE8
>>
>>387273434
That's part of the contrived arc. Fragile female character (usually has some kind of support/healing role) is distraught that she can't do much to help with [insert central conflict of the game here]. Female character spends most of the game doubting herself, but after watching [insert main character here] she begins to believe in herself and realizes that she has a hidden inner strength which allows her to help [insert main character here] overcome the conflict and win the day.

It's not 1:1 due to the nature of the 100 year gap and how the plot is fed to the player but the basic story beats are the same. Play more Final Fantasies if you still don't understand what I mean.

>>387273562
73 hours, watched every single memory cutscene, they were all trite nonsense. You could tell where the plot was headed pretty much immediately. Waste of development resources, frankly.
>>
>>387273087
It was one of the best moments of the game for me.

>Day/night cicle still on while playing through the dungeon.
>Sun shines through the water stream inside the dungeon
>Parasailing on the outside making you appreciate the scale of the thing.
>Music evolves from moody tier to "your dead fish waifu from childhood needs help" tier

Felt more atmosphere in BotW than in both TP and SS together.
>>
The game is repetitive, empty and toothless. It has the polish of a great game specially when it comes to physics but suffers from everything else.
>>
It's a 7/10 open world game. The only reason the garbage gets threads is because of the 13/10 Nintendo shills constantly making threads over it. There's nothing of actual substance in the game worth discussing and you can stop making these shitty threads cuz it never goes anywhere with Nintendo dick suckers on here.
>>
>>387273751
>it WAS a surprise in Oot
...it was?
I mèan, I was literally 10 when I played it for the first time, and right away I thought Sheik to be an adult Zelda. I was quite confused why her "reveal" was trying to be such shiw off later on.
>>
>>387274142
They tried to do the evolving music thing in Link Between Worlds in the final dungeon, but all it resulted in was a dungeon with shitty music that only got good when you were one hallway away from the final boss.
>>
>>387275376
>>387275072
I wish you people pit even half as much effort to fight off real shills of truly shitty games (ie: Zenimax)
>>
What's up with the accordion playing bird dude? I finisehd the game and conpleted all 120 shrines. It even shows that I finished all 42/42 of the shrine quests. But the bird guy won't return to his village like he supposedly supposed to. What am I doing wrong?
>>
Zelda cycle is over skyward sword is still shit
>>
>>387257649
Yeah. As far as open world games go it's good. It's the type of game that makes you want to explore and the exploring itself is just a ton of fun. Satisfying combat, satisfying movement, and beautiful locations. The rewards are a bit dry but they're not the point. Finding Rito Village, Eventide Island, the pitch black forest, Korok Woods, or stumbling across Naydra and so many other neat places feels rewarding in and of itself and makes the game feel like a great adventure. It's not perfect, but definitely a fantastic experience.
>>
>>387270279
5 hearts lol
>>
>>387272056
So a zelda game?
>>
It's a good game just not a good Zelda game
>>
>>387273558
This.
220h into it, beat Ganon twice now, recently found all Shrines. Yet somehow, I already miss it all. I will prolly do a challenge run of my own one day, and definitely will pick up the DLCs when the second one arrives.

BotW is one of the truly rare games where I dont mind spending pennies to get more content into its already jam packed world.

Also, was I the only one to truly love taming horses and taking care of them? I never see people mention this feature. I'd love to get my own stable.
>>
>>387257649

Yes, just because Ocarina of Time did some things better than it doesn't make BoTW remarkable for it's time.

Only thing it lacked was koji kondos melodies, some lengthy dungeons, underwater exploration and some OoT-tier spookiness.
>>
>>387275950
Zelda cycle was never real and only existed to defend Wind Waker.
>>
>>387275950
It wasnt tho.
I played it just before BotW, and loved it.
Amazing to get to play two great Zeldas in the same year.
>>
>>387276247
Can you help me out?

>>387275865
>>387275865
>>
>>387258997
That's because you didn't emotionally and financially invest in a console like most brainlets did. This allows you to see the game for what it actually is: The strongest 6.5/10 of our time.
>>
>>387276605
Talk to him at Rito Stable
>>
>>387276742
I did, he just keeps telling me that he can't go home yet.
>>
>>387276792
You must not have met him everywhere yet
>>
>>387276792
He has some non-shrine quests too.
>>
>>387276842
Is that possible if it says in the menu 42/42 shrine quests completed?
>>
>>387276942
Alright, thanks. That's probably it then.
>>
>poor student
>used to play video games a lot but now only play a game for some time every couple of months
>BotW looks amazing but also read a lot about the world being empty and the dungeons being lacking etc.
>Mario Odyssey looks amazing and Super Mario 64 is my favorite game
>considering buying a Switch for two games right now when I barely play vidya, can't afford it and could be potentially falling for a meme

fuck
>>
>>387276945
He is involved in a few non shrine quests, have you completed all the normal side quests?
>>
>>387277462
No, not yet. I've still got like 7 left to do. That's probably it.
>>
>>387257649

I've been playing this game for the first time these past few days. I'm not super far into it yet (I'm barely at the first "creature" in the Zora kindgom).

So far it's really good. It's not perfect of course, so it's always a bit weird if you think 10/10 is "without any flaws" but that just proves that numbered rating systems are ridiculous and should never be taken seriously for anything that cannot be objectively quantified.

I'm very impressed by the quality of the open world so far, it's truly huge and yet filled with things to explore. Each place (so far) has a very unique feel to it and it doesn't feel like you're trudging through the same huge sandbox where everything looks the same.

I don't like the "you're the One, you'll save us all" trope, but that's really the Zelda formula so it's expected. I prefer when the protagonist has to prove himself overcome the challenge to become the real hero. Here you just wake up and you're the guy from the legend and everybody wants to suck your dick. Feels unearned, especially since you fucked up 100 years ago.

I think weapon degradation is very poorly handled. They should at least give you a way to repair your weapons.

I have done maybe 20 temples/shrines/whatever they're called so far and they're getting a bit boring already. Some have fun puzzles, others feel just tedious. They also all look the same which feels a bit lazy when the overworld is so varied. The loading times to get in and out break the pace too, I don't get why it takes so long to load these small environments from solid state storage. I also don't need to see the elevator animation and the introductory text every single time, I know what to do.

But overall I think it's a pretty good game and people really ought to give it a try at some point. The way it avoids scripting everything and instead relies on the physics engine is really refreshing. The AI is pretty good too.
>>
>>387277828
I had most fun trying to get all treasure chests in each shrine. If you didn't know: once you open all chests inside a shrine, a small treasure chest icon will appear next to its name on the map.
>>
>>387278132

Ah, I actually tried to do that too, I didn't notice the the icon. Thanks for the tip.

But really the problem is that beyond getting the chests for the sake of getting the chests the rewards in them is often rather crappy.

Best case scenario you get a piece of gear, 2nd best it's rupees and beyond that you get weapons/shields that you'll break 10 minutes later.

I also thought that the powers you get are not super inspired. You get two types of bombs (couldn't these just be regular bombs?), the telekinesis power that's only useful in very specific conditions (why can't you just carry anything based on weight? It would be more organic and more versatile that way), the ice pilar which feels a bit random and out of place and the "time freeze" one which is the only one that really feels interesting and innovative with its momentum charge aspect.

I don't really bother using my powers a lot outside of the temples, I prefer to use the parries, sneak attacks, bow "airtime" etc... Feels more rewarding to me. Also aiming most of these powers with the pad is always frustrating.
>>
Do you think Nintendo is developing another Zelda title using the same engine like they did with OoT and MM?

If so, what do you want them to add/ change?
>>
>>387279406
We already know they'll make a new Zelda game after this one. They've basically confirmed it once they said BotW would be the Zelda formula from now on, using the same engine makes sense since they have a lot of experience with it now. I think the next 3D Zelda game will come out 2019-2021.
>>
>>387279406
More dungeons and get rid of shrines. Have more shrine quest type puzzles where they are naturally built into the world instead of in some magic caves that all look the same.
>>
>>387279980
>game started life as yet another shitty Toon game
>they felt the physics were at odd with the Toon graphics

Will this finally kill the hanging shit that is Toon Zelda games
>>
Probably my favourite open world game ever, so yeah.
>>
>>387275865
Not all Kass' quests are shrines.
You need to find and listen to all his ancient songs.

He has a small hut on top of one of those huge mushroom at the western end of map, with a diary describing many of his locations.
>>
It's the best open world game that I've ever played, so sure.
>>
>>387257649
The more I consider it, the more I think that Breath of the Wild is a great game that serves as its own proof that this kind of open world game is fundamentally flawed and shouldn't be tried again. The formula is just so specific and requires delicate balancing on a narrow sweet spot between two shitty extremes in so many areas that trying to replicate it just to achieve that "perfect" open world feeling is not worth the resources you need to expend.

I'm going to give it another fresh playthrough after the DLC comes out though, and I'll see how my thoughts change on a second run
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.