[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are most games so unimaginative these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: unimaginative_by_xrnibor.jpg (22KB, 479x350px) Image search: [Google]
unimaginative_by_xrnibor.jpg
22KB, 479x350px
It feels like a majority of games rarely try to add their own new twist on genres or come up with something truly original for once. For example if a new FPS is coming out 8/10 times its another modern shooter that sings praises about it having "realistic recoil" or some shit like that and those are a dime a dozen. Or if someone was developing a pre gun era, melee weapons only multiplayer game its almost always guaranteed to be western european "medieval" knights when there's a shit ton of other cultures and eras to base the setting on to make the game truly unique from others of the genre.

It feels like they're all just copying each other with very few differences between them. The only games I can think of at the top of my head that put some sort of new twist on established genres are Last of Us, Overwatch (they didn't go down the fantasy moba route) and horizon zero dawn
>>
>>387229997
When the mod tools and private servers die out, people lost access to try new things.
A moddable game allows for a budding dev to try his idea with a stable engine, ready assets, animations, effects. He just has to position those elements in a new way.
Mods have given rise to totally new genres and gametypes.
So we can point at PC and say it fosters creativity, but everything else is just a passive consumption device:
>consoles
>phones/tablet
>handhelds
>>
>>387229997
Easy answer. There are very good and original ideas out there BUT, today videos game public is 90% casuals de only follow propaganda. Original and not mainstream games die, popular( not necesary equal to good games...) and games with a lot of money to advertise survive.
>>
>>387230347
I can see that to be honest. I just wish big developers (and indie) would be more innovative when it comes to games. Titan fall was a pretty new idea with having giant mech companions and very mobile gameplay. Too bad Ea fucked it up
>>
File: contempt.jpg (67KB, 647x697px) Image search: [Google]
contempt.jpg
67KB, 647x697px
>>387229997
>The only games I can think of at the top of my head that put some sort of new twist on established genres are Last of Us, Overwatch (they didn't go down the fantasy moba route) and horizon zero dawn

Have you considered looking into video games that aren't modern AAA titles with massive budgets (i.e. games that are solely trying to make money, not take risks)?
>>
>>387229997
The same two reasons Hollywood has turned to dogshit: creative bankruptcy and corporate suits forcing devs to stick to established money-making formulae instead allowing them to take risks. >>387230347
is also relevant.
>>
>>387229997
It's all about grabbing the attention of the most popular let's player or streamer these days.
>>
I like games that try to copy dead genres though.
>Shadow Tactics tried to revive Desperados/Commandos 2 style gameplay.
>Rimworld is desperately trying to make a colony simulator a la Dwarf Fortress except less autistic
Basically the only two games I've enjoyed in recent months. Hitman TM was the one before those. Next game I'm hoping will keep my attention is Bannerlord.
>>
Because it doesn't sell well. See Mirage Arcane Warfare
>>
>>387234429
>Because it doesn't sell well. See Mirage Arcane Warfare

What are you trying to say here? That Mirage was didn't sell well cause it was an unconventional idea (the game was shit) or that it didn't sell well because it was a shit game (it was).
>>
>>387230169
DayZ and PUBG both started as ARMA mods, modding isn't entirely dead
though i'm sure that a couple years from now we'll see a bunch of clones released and flounder well after everyone's moved on from those games, like we're about to see all these Soulslikes that were shown at E3
>>
>>387231557 is very accurate.
video games are the new movies. companies demand blockbusters. there is no such thing as a slow build anymore. if a game is not an instant hit its considered a failure so there are no risks.
>>
>>387234638
i didn't even know arcane came out already and when I saw the gameplay before I thought it looked slow as hell
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.