[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do Video Game Reviews Still Matter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: mass effect 3.png (81KB, 648x359px) Image search: [Google]
mass effect 3.png
81KB, 648x359px
Do Video Game Reviews Still Matter?
>>
I don't think so personally. It's easier to go watch gameplay.
>>
>>387222331

Only to those that matter, ergo, not you.
>>
>>387222331
They never did. The fact fanboys use it as a shitposting tool proves that
>>
>>387222331
Mass Effect 3 was genuinely good though, aside from the ending which was passable. Best gameplay of the series by far, and puts the janky garbage combat they shipped in ME1 to shame, where your party members would frequently stand in the line of fire unless you explicitly directed them not to
>>
>>387222331
No. Big video game reviewers aren't enthusiasts.
>>
>>387222331
They unironically became more serious after shitstorms like pic related, now no one gives AAA shit a free pass just because.
But the answer is still no, they mean very little.
>>
No, especially not from traditional sources as these are usually paid off and fail to give any unique perspective or critique of a game. People can use so many other means to judge a game without needing to read or watch a review and decide whether it is in line with their specific tastes.
>>
Video game reviews matter more to publishers than people.
>>
>>387222331
Scores get used for shitposting purposes, but I don't think anyone takes the opinions of "professional" video game critics seriously.
>>
>>387222482
Me1 was a hybrid rpg.
Me3 was a poor man's GoW with some obnoxious "choices".
Sorry you can't get the difference.
>>
File: 1494275836288.png (770KB, 638x638px) Image search: [Google]
1494275836288.png
770KB, 638x638px
>look up review for video game
>"This review contains heavy spoilers, do not watch/ read if you haven't played the game! :)"

Uhm what's the fucking point then?
>>
>>387222729
How was it like God of War?
>>
>>387222331
Naw, most of these reviews are written by people who travel to a review event in a nice hotel with catered food and an open bar, and at least one time that was documented strippers, for a few days. Their reviews are largely influenced by the entire trip and not just how good the game is, so it's all pretty fucked up. This is how most AAA games are reviewed, lesser studios/publishers just have to send in a review copy to the gaming site a few weeks before release and hope they mention it.
>>
>>387222331
Movie scores don't matter, so why should games?
>>
>>387222331
Only as support for an ad campaign.
>>
>>387222331
I know this sounds corny but I usually check MC, User Score and Steam Score to see if the game worth buying or not. That and some gameplay/trailers.
>>
>>387222830
Oh anon you card.
>>
I hate scorefags so much and reviews would be much improved if scores were gone and replaced by a summary.
>>
>>387222331
They're still a useful barometer, you just have to know how to scale the modern score. 9/10 means passable, 8/10 is a pile of hot garbage, and anything less than that is literally unplayable.
>>
They give you an idea about thr quality of the game. It doesnt mean you will like it. It probably is just more likely that you will.
>>
>>387222331
No, and never should. Watch gameplay, make your own judgement, listen to someone give you a few reasons why they like the game. A stok phrase of "Awesome game" and a high score on an arbitary ladder never meant anything.

>>387222807
Opinionated people want to make their opinions heard by others. That's all. I really hate that shit
>>
>>387223000
That would be bad for posters and billboards. And for publications since it would require their readers to actually read. Are you trying to destroy this glorious industry? If you take away the sizzle what's the point of a steak? You absolute mad man.
>>
I don't care about boring generic summaries, descriptions of game mechanics and ratings, but I like to read occasional essay-like analysis which goes deeper in the subject matter and talks a lot about theory, because I can also learn something from it. For the rest, it's better to just watch a gameplay on YT. Call me pretentious as much as you want.
>>
>>387223000
I think summaries are all you need anyway.

>Gameplay is OK
>OST is great
>Story is good
>The game runs like garbage
These are the only kind of things I need to know along with some general knowledge about what kind of game/series it is and which studio is made it.
>>
>>387223286
You're pretentious and stupid. But at least you're not a scorefag.
>>
Metacritic scores don't matter and never have. There are only a handful of sites and magazines who are actually qualified to review video games. Most of them are just "fans" who come up with arbitrary scores for no real reason and will never give a major IP less than 8/10.
>>
>>387223362
Your opinion means nothing to me, so all is good.
>>
>>387222331
Reviewers give safe scores to AAA games because they might catch flak
>>
>>387223492
My opinion means so little to you that you decided to announce how little it means? That's not just pretentious, that's narcissistic, you dummy.
>>
>>387223668
You got me, anon. I don't know what to say as a response.
>>
>>387222331
Only when it's a game I like/hate, and make my opinion a fact.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.