[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are time limits the worst mechanic ever introduced to adventure/exploration/RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: Majora's_Mask_Artwork.png (161KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
Majora's_Mask_Artwork.png
161KB, 426x382px
Are time limits the worst mechanic ever introduced to adventure/exploration/RPG games?
I cannot think of anything less fun that this sort of shit.

Time Limit = Stress
Stress != Fun
>>
File: OP is a Faggot.jpg (110KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
OP is a Faggot.jpg
110KB, 512x384px
>>
>>387211603

It would be nice, if you dont lose the items. I mean, you lose not all of them. It makes no sense.
>>
>>387211603
"Hey Anon! Here's a whole new world you can explore! BTW don't you fucking dare explore it or your time will run out and it's game over!"
>>
>>387211705
You keep your nuts and ocarina the first time you play it anyway. But I'm talking about time limits in general, like in games with missions that have time limits but don't even show it to you.
>>
File: gitdmlink.jpg (29KB, 306x273px) Image search: [Google]
gitdmlink.jpg
29KB, 306x273px
>>387211603
>being stressed out in a game that literally has no Game Over state
>>
>>387211705
This is really one of those things that was always just absurdly stupid and had no reason to be there except to waste even more of your time.
>>
people who think the time mechanic in MM or dead rising are "time limits" are honestly the stupidest fucking people on the internet
>>
>>387211909

They are. If the time is up, you die. It's a time limit.
>>
>>387211989
There is no dying whatsoever in MM. If time runs out, the moon crashes and you respawn in the Clock Tower with the mask salesman, albeit without any items you gained in the last three day period. Avoiding it is as easy as playing a song, anyway. Die in combat and you respawn at the last loading area.
>>
>>387212039
How can you excuse this ridiculously stupid mechanic? Prolonging a game by making you repeat the exact same mindless sequences over and over again until you memorised all of them? This sort of shit doesn't belong in an adventure game. It's not stuff that's enjoyable to repeat. Do you like chasing kids around three times? I don't get it.
>>
File: giphy.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>387212039
>There is no dying
>Die in combat
>>
>>387212157
I don't understand why you're so mad that people like a thing you don't
>>
>>387212157
Not that guy but I had to reset all of four or so times in the time it took to beat the game and collect all the masks, it's not really a big deal.
>>
someones clearly never heard of eustress
>>
>>387212161
As in you lose absolutely no progress, fuckwit. Nice South Park meme btw, are you sure you should still be awake? School is starting soon.
>>
>>387211603
Overcoming time limit and kicking that time limit's ass = fun
>>
It's hard to explain this but for example in Harvest Moon, I have a lot of fun with managing my time throughout the day. I'd be bored to death with those games if I didn't have to worry about time management. HM64 probably gets the balance just right where you have just enough time in a day to get everything you need taken care of and have enough time for whatever else you might want to do. For another example in the same series, A Wonderful Life gives you a considerably longer amount of time in each day but it's just too much. You have way too much time and you wind up waiting around with nothing to do. This is partially because the game is kind of barren in comparison with HM64 as well, but it just isn't fun to me because there isn't any challenge to be had.

Basically, if there's going to be a time limit, it needs to be enough time to allow experimentation and getting a little sidetracked but not so long that you wind up having to wait around doing nothing for any lengthy period of time.
>>
>>387211909
but it really is a time limit in dead rising. if you dont save certain people within the time limit, they are dead for the rest of the game.

not saying the game is shit because of that. I actually like that mechanic in the game.
>>
>>387212218
No way in hell did you manage to get all masks and beat MM in 5 cycles unless you know the game in and out.
>>
>>387212443
Especially considering Anju and Kafei's quest takes an entire cycle, don't you also need to do that quest twice to get all the masks or is that for all the bottles?
>>
>>387212157
The whole point of the game is the groundhog day aspect, through each cycle you gain a mastery over the schedules and tasks of the world. You don't even fully restart each cycle considering you get to keep all non-consumable items, songs, hearts and have a mechanism for saving money. If you're some OCD autist who needs every task you've completed to remain completed that's your problem.
>>
>>387211603

Time limits in Majora's Mask weren't even stressful once you discovered the Inverted Song of Time. Also, Atelier games would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>387212039
>There is no dying whatsoever in MM.
>If time runs out, the moon crashes and you respawn in the Clock Tower with the mask salesman, albeit without any items you gained in the last three day period.

Which is dying. I guess you never actually die in Dark Souls then, since that doesn't even reset any of your actual progress beyond taking you back to a bonfire and putting your souls/humanity in a bloodstain.
>>
>>387212608
I think you need to complete it in 2 circles to receive the reward from the postman and the mayor's wife but I don't think any of those is a mask. Regardless, you need two thirds of a circle just for ugrading your sword.
>>
>>387213229
Cycles, not circles.
>>
>>387213229
You get the postman hat from the postman.
>>
>>387211603
Best*

Literally kill yourself if you hated the time mechanics. You probably also wonder why Metroid can't crawl.
>>
I don't understand how people can hate majora's mask just because of the time limit and losing consumables when you go back in time. That shit is so ridiculously minor in the grand scheme of things and little more than a minor nuisance at most as soon as you learn the inverted song of time and how to optimize your routines to get the most out of your days - which pretty much comes naturally. The upgraded bombers notebook that acts more like a quest journal in MM3D is pretty good for this too.
>>
>>387213673
>That shit is so ridiculously minor in the grand scheme of things and little more than a minor nuisance at most as soon

It's not It's utterly major because it means you frequently spend more time setting up the world into the state you want than you do actually exploring what you wanted to.
>>
>>387211603
"Oh no, Video Game makes me feel something!"
"Worst mechanic of all time!"
>>
File: 456774.jpg (65KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
456774.jpg
65KB, 460x215px
No shit
>>
>>387211603
If you ever see the Game Over screen accidentally in Majora's Mask you deserve to have cactus jammed up your ass.
>>
>>387211691
/thread

if you cant get shit done when inverted sorry that the game doesnt pander to retards
>>
>>387211603
Yes, hunger, ironically no fun allowed.
>>
>>387211603
the time limit in MM hardly is a problem you fucking casual
>>
File: anime-atelier-totori_00180931.jpg (344KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
anime-atelier-totori_00180931.jpg
344KB, 1680x1050px
>game is full of cute females doing cute things
>can't enjoy it because every single thing you do pushes you towards a deadline
>even moving to a different part of a dungeon takes days
>Gust is never going to go back to games like Atelier Iris or Mana Khemia

S T R E S S F U L
>>
File: 1497716287862.gif (725KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
1497716287862.gif
725KB, 446x251px
>>387214873
You just stated one of the biggest strengths of the time limit. You set up the world and schedule in such a way that can allow a little bit of exploration, then you move on to the next cycle so you can set up the world and schedule in a different way to allow further exploration. It's like the perfect balance between linearity and non-linearity because your discovery of the world is patient and incremental.

If slow and incremental progress/exploration is not your kind of thing, more power to you man, but some people like myself think adventure games can benefit from this kind of thing. See games like Harvest Moon or Rune Factory.
>>
>>387211603
people complain about the dumbest shit about this game

they'll always bring up the "OH NO TIME LIMIT" but never some of the bad minigames in this. not just the shooting gallery with the fucking bad controls but dampe's gravedigging disaster and shit where you just wait around a bunch.

love the game to death but still

>>387211747
you can explore all you want, resetting time doesn't bar you from exploring the world (which is pretty condensed as it is) but nice try.
>>
>>387215554

I don't even think the Arland Ateliers would even be fun without the time management, though I also like games that push for getting shit done. The alchemy's neat in its own right but the time limits keep the game moving forward instead of falling into a meandering pace like a lot of JRPGs can settle into and I'm alright with that. I've borrowed the Mana Khemia games from a friend but I haven't started them.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.