[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got this, always wanted to play it. What am I in for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg (62KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg
62KB, 300x360px
I just got this, always wanted to play it. What am I in for?
>>
horses
>>
i think you shoot guns
>>
Disjointed and you can tell it had troubled development, yet one of the best narratives in gaming
>>
WHERE THE FUCK IS BILL WILLIAMSON/JAVIER ESCUELLA/DUTCH VAN DER LINDE: the game
>>
you ride horses and shoot guns. also it's like western gta. no, scrap that, IT IS western gta.
>>
npc suicide
>>
>>387199078
I heard it has a great story, mostly playing just for it. Love old western settings
>>
>>387198709

The best gunplay system in any rockstar game to date
>>
https://youtu.be/Yag41F7eCLU

Rockstar's magnum opus that they will forever live in the shadow of. Also one of the best stories Ive played in a game. Not of all time of course but the core themes/character work crescendos to a final poignant note that left me feel like I played something special.

Hope you like it.
>>
>>387199441
good jesus, this is great
>>
>>387198709
John Marston dying
>>
>>387198709
missions get repetitive. you literally do nothing but shoot guys (other than some brief cow herding in the beginning).
>>
File: 1495562428086.jpg (29KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
1495562428086.jpg
29KB, 600x456px
>>387198709
I got it 3 weeks ago anon and while I haven't finished it yet (I'm at the part after the final fight for Mexico's government) I gotta say I really don't like it.

90% of the missions start with the words "I need a favor". There isn't much to do in the world other than hunting (which is annoying as fuck) and playing dumb minigames. The story so far hasn't had a moment that made me say "holy shit that's good writing" nor it shows any kind of character development (the only well developed character thus far is protagonist).

I really hope that it gets better later because I'm 2/3 of the game and it really doesn't feel like it is as good as /v/ says
>>
>>387199889
>first time playing RDR in 2017
>anime reaction image

opinion discarded.
>>
>>387199889
>I need a favor

Literally every GTA so fuck off if you're going to bitch about it in RDR.
>>
I wish they'd put it on PC already so I don't have to plug my 360 in to play it again.
>>
>>387200287
I hate it in GTA too but the issue here is that RDR is said to have great story and it's just hard to take it seriously when the narrative shows that the main character can't do anything unless he is told to do so.

I mean, in GTA everyone is either an asshole or a completely useless person (or both). RDR is supposed to be more realistic, isn't it?
>>
>>387198709
It's one of those rare games where knowing the ending doesn't detract from its emotional impact in any way, since during the course of the story, you'll find that there's plenty of dramatic irony to go around which only makes the ending, which you will find is an inevitable conclusion because of the themes the game tackles, all the more impactful.
>>387199889
That's good, since RDR's strongest moments in terms of writing are in the last third in the game, starting from your arrival to the comparatively modern city of Blackwater. When /v/ talks about the game's strengths, they're mostly talking about this last third of the game.
>>
>>387198709
About 4 hours of decent content padded out with tons of shit filler. I hope you enjoy riding horses to some way points, because that is all you're going to be doing for about 85% of the game.

The real tragedy is that this game could have been really great but they didn't finish the online content and it died out after undead nightmare.
>>
>>387200481
I'm glad Rock* didn't since half of PC faggots are pirates anyway what's the point
>>
>>387198709
You're going to get shot.
>>
Its pretty cool, you get to shoot smelly mexicans.
>>
Mexico sucks and the rest of the game is pretty alright.
>>
>>387200494
Everyone is an asshole and everyone wants something from you they just go about it in different ways. Just wait until you get to the end you'll appreciate everything then because that's when you'll look back and wish you would have cared more.

spoiler
>>
>>387200706
You say that, but GTA V has almost 8 million owners that have the game on Steam. Even if it sold a lot more on console, 8 million sales is a big fucking number for a port. Games sell regardless of piracy. The Witcher 3 has 3.5 million copies sold on Steam despite the fact that the game came out DRM free on gog making it the easiest pirate in the world from day one.
>>
The greatest game rockstar has ever made, and judging by GTA V, the best they will ever make. Arguably a top 5 greatest of all time in video game history to this point.

If anyone were to make a case for vidya being art pro tip it isn't they would most certainly use this game to aid their argument
>>
it was fun, but people saying the story was amazing are just saying that because of the ending. I ususally play story-driven games, but I think this is the only game I've played where I enjoyed the gameplay more than the story. Still, everyone has different tastes, but as long as you like cowboys, you'll probably like Red Dead.
fuck the ranch missions though, they fucking suck
>>
>>387200494
>the narrative shows that the main character can't do anything unless he is told to do so
But iirc, he really doesn't have a choice, does he? His family's going to die if he doesn't do what he's asked, and the favors he does are all ultimately for the sake of his family, as completing them gives him the resources to complete his ultimate mission of killing his old gang, which would in theory save his family. So that's why he does them; doesn't that suggest character agency? He has his own reasons for doing the favors he does, and that's why he does them. Hell, when he's betrayed in Mexico, he willingly deviates from his hunt and his assigned objective in order to get revenge on the colonel who betrayed him, via joining the revolutionaries. Isn't that character agency as well?
>>
File: 1328161699672.png (65KB, 285x276px) Image search: [Google]
1328161699672.png
65KB, 285x276px
>tfw RDR2 is going to have the same shitty physics as GTA V
>single player is just going to be main story, a few side missions, and collectables with nothing else to do
>Online is going to be just as grindy as GTAO, maybe even more since horses don't have as much things to upgrade as a car
>they'll probably contrive a reason for there to be semi-automatic guns so all the GTA kids will play it
>>
File: 1498183353741.jpg (16KB, 244x320px) Image search: [Google]
1498183353741.jpg
16KB, 244x320px
The ending makes me feeling so empty but It's still my favorite part alongside John riding home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9iflvCwok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yag41F7eCLU
>>
>>387202049
>when you get attacked by a cougar and die it never plays again
>stray off the path when you get to Mexico it stops playing
>>
>>387200839

mexico was the best part of the game

>dat qt latina rebel
>when she's getting her butt liberated by that airhead general
>can't see him as the incompetent fool he is

i didn't know naieve, passionate, rebellious latina girls were a thing, but they are now
>>
>>387198709
Shooting is great
some of the minigames are great- like poker, blackjack, liar's dice
visuals are excellent, but on a technical side it's not that great, especially on PS3- prepare for some bugs
story's alright, it's got some really great moments throughout (for example, I loved the mexican revolution story arc of the characters involved), but some of the disjointed missions like "lmao win this race" and "lmao herd some cows" are an absolute chore
collectibles are a chore but then again what else would you expect
side missions are great
overall presentation and immersion is great, with cool little things like reading the newspaper and going to a movie theater
horse sprinting is kind of annoying
>>
>>387201646
Don't worry fām, we'll always have Redemption with all the amazing single player content for all time. They can't take it away from us.
>>
>>387202541
Spic here, they are all like that. I was legitimately surprised at the level of realism put in portraying a latina girl.
>>
>>387201646
>single player is just going to be main story, a few side missions, and collectables with nothing else to do
GTA V has lots of shit to do though, and it has dozens of side missions and shit to find in the world. It's just a question of whether you find it all worth it, but in terms of raw numbers, the number of actual things to complete is very close to the hundreds, and this isn't counting the hours of dialogue to find during the hangouts and recreational activities, and the things you can do on the internet.
>Online is going to be just as grindy as GTAO, maybe even more since horses don't have as much things to upgrade as a car
I honestly don't see a repeat of GTA Online happening for RDR2 simply because RDR is not GTA; it's nowhere near as popular, and its lifespan is far too much shorter for the same business model to be profitable in the long term. GTA Online works because GTA V is and always will be the system seller for the current gen consoles, and is one of the most successful games of all time. RDR2 will get nowhere near that kind of profit. It's simply not worth it to use the same business model on a game that's so much more niche and will die off so much sooner, especially when GTA Online is still very much alive, and will be a direct competitor. Furthermore, RDR is developed by Rockstar San Diego, whereas GTA is developed by Rockstar North. Of course, we do have to worry about Take Two, so obviously all this is just speculation
>they'll probably contrive a reason for there to be semi-automatic guns so all the GTA kids will play it
The first game had a bunch of semi-automatic pistols though. Hell, it even had a fully automatic gun, the Mauser Pistol. The original game also has gatling guns, and the DLC introduced explosive ammo.
>>
>>387202652
>Spic here, they are all like that

i wouldn't, i'm asian
>>
>>387198886
"Work ya damn nag"
>>
File: Rdr_four_horses_apocalypse.jpg (238KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rdr_four_horses_apocalypse.jpg
238KB, 1280x720px
Still one of the all time best dlc's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-08KZo4KXM
>>
>>387198709
PLAY THE FUCKING GAME
>>
Will 2 be able to top it? My thoughts are no
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfNjf1cWRs
Feels.
>>
>>387200706
that game would be the shit with KB+M though
>>
>>387198709
REDEMPTION

https://youtu.be/Yag41F7eCLU
>>
>>387201646
Didn't they GTAO guy leave though

If anything I just hope houses are alot better this time around and are actually worth an investment when they're in different areas rather than just buying x house in the ass end of nowhere and it has the same interior as the other house in civilization that's worth x10 as much
>>
It and CoJ Gunslinger are top tier westerns.
>>
I'm replaying it now, and I don't know what is up with this game, but I just want to do another 100% run. I've never done that before with any game, it was my first 100%, and I just want to do it again... Yes, even the collecting fucking plants part.
>>
>>387204791
its hardly a cinematic experience
>>
>>387205135
I don't even know what's wrong with "cinematic experience"
I mean sure, when the game wouldn't let you play and half of it is just watching cutscenes is awful, but when you have total control and it still has a cinematic vibe to it, then I think it's awesome. The first time I ever felt that must be the first Silent Hill with the camera angles and shit, and it's one of my all time favourites
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.