[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Co-Op RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: FFEinGame.jpg (137KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
FFEinGame.jpg
137KB, 400x240px
Are there any modern games similar to Phantasy Star Online or Final Fantasy Explorers?

Monster hunter comes close, but advancement is items, rather than character / skills.
>>
>>387183718
Bump for interest.

Also OP have you tried checking the database at Co-optimus.com?
>>
>>387185256
>Co-optimus.com

Just gave it a try. Not impressed. Couch Co-Op on the 3DS with "at least 2" only returns MHGenerations, excludes the other MonHan games, and FF:Explorers.
>>
The most recent one I could think of was white knight chronicles but the servers for that got turned off a long time ago
>>
Bumping because I also want to know this.

Did anyone play Toukiden? Is it a monster hunter style game?
>>
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

There's no other game like it, sadly. I'd kill for a proper sequel
>>
If dragon's dogma was a multiplayer co-op game I would probably never ever play anything else.

Theoretically that's exactly what Dragon's Dogma Online is but
>japan only
>>
>>387185715
It's more MonHan, apparently it has some side progression stuff beyond weapons?

>>387185757
From what I understand progression is static, and it's a linear story?

>>387185807
Not for filthy gaijin, only for glorious Nippon!
>>
File: Necromancer_D2.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Necromancer_D2.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
>>387183718

The game that influenced PSO. And all its clones.
>>
>>387186078

If only we could go back to those halcyon days
>>
>>387183718
Dragon Quest 9 and Soma Bringer are p.good.
>>
>>387186153

Wait, did IX ever get a western release? And I'm pretty sure Soma bringer didn't.
>>
>>387185692
>2013 was four years ago

Holy shit
>>
>>387186270
IX did. Soma Bringer has a 99% English patch (only thing missing was some menu options and bestiary, I think)
>>
>>387185715
Toukiden is pretty much a faster-playing monster hunter, instanced with big monsters, use parts upgrade weapons, get sweet armor, solid 7/10 for me.

The second game is the same thing, but open world, with more focus on story. the travelling can be kinda tedious, but it's a pretty fucking sweet game overall. Also has best waifu. 8/10 (It would be a nine because of Benizuki but I think that's cheating)
>>
>>387185715
>>387185945
Toukiden has had terrible reviews in general, apparently the combat is mostly the same mindlessly shallow hack-n-slash as the Warriors franchises. Not surprising, given they're the same creators.
>>
>>387185945

Toukiden has a soul system (called Mitama in game) where it gives you a set of passive skills and active abilities. They have a 'class' associated with what they help you do. ATK Mitama is focused on you just doing more damage, while there are Mitama that focus around laying traps to breaking limbs off monsters.

Mitama 'progression' is main collecting, but they level up to gain more passive effects. You can equip up to 3 to mix and match at your heart's content.
>>
>>387187000

>000

Why does your post sound like a marketing blurb?
>>
File: GER.jpg (287KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GER.jpg
287KB, 1280x720px
So is God Eater just Anime Hunter?
>>
>>387183718
while the tales of games don't give that much character freedom, some of the earlier ones are pretty good for couch coop. they are a bit dated though; symphonia in particular can have camera issues unless you have player 1 be a caster in the backline to make the whole map on screen.
some of the later ones are complete shit for coop though, although those games are thought to be shit in general. especially with that forced AI control to use a mystic arte bullshit
>>
>>387187205

Because I'm a very monotone and boring person that happens to like Toukiden.
>>
>>387187518

The only thing I ever remember from the God Eater is the bullet edit mode. Spent more time making giant explosive swords and roller coasters that nuke everything it comes in contact with
>>
File: ffcc_original.jpg (51KB, 330x370px) Image search: [Google]
ffcc_original.jpg
51KB, 330x370px
>>387183718
this game is the ultimate
>>
>>387186153
>Dragon Quest 9
I'll wait for the 3DS rerelease that puts the servers back online.
>>
>>387187518
God Eater is also Grind Eater, except instead of with items and drops like MonHun, it's with fighting the actual monsters. It's dull and those things are HP sponges.
>>
>co-op
>loot
>leveling
>stats
>gear
Name games on PC
>>
>>387190089
Except for leveling, but there is progression, Terraria.
>>
>>387190089

I really hate to say this but Borderlands
>>
>>387185945
>From what I understand progression is static, and it's a linear story?

No. You have an end goal, but it's not necessairly a clear cut path to reach it. The bulk of the game revolves around completing dungeons, with some freedom in the order you them, as well as allowing repeat runs for more loot

Progression works by completing dungeons. You find artifacts in dungeons that give you stat boosts, gear recipes, or other types of items. Once you complete a dungeon, you get to pick one from what you found and keep it

If you're playing mutliplayer, each person has a hidden 'bonus objective' that awards them points, and whoever has the most points at the end of a dungeon gets first pick out of everything found
>>
>>387190089
Payday 2 has all of these, unfortunately.
>>
>>387190089
Divinity: OS
>>
Dragon's Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4kjjkiZk8
>>
>>387190453
Is this game still alive and worth getting into? I heard people are huge cunts to new players.
>>
>>387190340
Not tried it, Does it have survival bullshit? We really hate that shit.

>>387190349
Have it, playing it now.

>>387190453
Played the fuck out of it.

>>387190591
We have it, but since we can't really play solo and jump into co-op with our own characters we didn't like it.
>>
>>387191085
>Does it have survival bullshit
I mean, the closest it has to "survival" is "Don't die to enemies"

Food hunger and warmth aren't a thing, the closest there is to that is falling in ice water on expert mode gives you a speed debuff for 30 seconds?
>>
>>387183718
We fucking need more of these, especially with online coop being a thing now. About all I see lately though is shit like Ark and survival game #305 that focus on pvp.
Why couldn't they do a fantasy w/ monsters setup instead of Ghost Recon Wildlands? Would have been great. Couldn't reuse same assets for like the 5th time so of course that's a no.

I just want to run around exploring and killing shit with friends. Hopefully the new MonHun isn't pure shit. Toukiden 2 was okay other than being overpriced so none of my friends will buy it, and God Eater is too weeb for them as well.
>>
>>387191085
No, it doesn't have survival shit. It's literally the best game on Steam.
>>
>>387190089
Every MMO.
>>
>>387192348
Already done just about every P2P, and F2P mmo out there.

I'd like them more if I didn't have to spend shit loads of time trying to level to get to actual decent content, instead of just playing decent content all the way through.
>>
>>387191613
>>387191812
So since I already own Starbound is Terraria worth getting?

I also did not like Terraria and I don't enjoy the building aspect of MC as I played the fuck out of it already before it was even officially released
>>
>>387189754
It never had online multiplayer. It was only local. Unless you're talking about the DLC, but you can just edit youe save and get it or ask someone who has it.
>>
>>387192629
>Starbound
Starbound a shit, mate. Literally no content. Take it from someone that backed the project. Nothing but disappointment compared to Terraria.
>>
>>387192498
This is about how I feel about mmos anymore as well. It's all about themepark rushing to endgame raiding or are built around tons of tedious grinding.

>>387192756
Yeah Starbound is miles wide but 2 inches deep. It's okay as a building game, but after playing for 20 hours or so you will have seen most everything.
>>
Every Final Fantasy on the Playstation. Go into menu and set some of the characters to Player 2.
>>
>>387194404
It would be great if it gave you quests or story shit the entire time.

It's the entire reason I liked Destiny. If I wanted loot I just changed the difficulty. I could run quests with people, raids with people and what the fuck ever I wanted on the fly. Sure there wasn't a lot of it. But hell it at least gave me a few hundred hours of play time.

And most of the mmo like games coming out seem great, but then heavily focus on PvP because they can't create any new PvE content worth shit.
>>
>>387190089
Diablo 2.
>>
>>387195150
almost 1000 hours in it.
>>
>>387186078

What are you even talking about, Diablo 2 came out like..six months before PSO.
>>
>>387195843

https://www.gamestm.co.uk/uncategorised/behind-the-scenes-phantasy-star-online/2/

>While Western gamers today often look at the online components that come out of Japanese games and infer that online-play isn’t important in Japan, in 2000 it was non-existent. Naka had to look outside his own country for inspiration, something that, until quite recently, no Japanese game maker would ever do – or at least admit to. In 2000, there were really only three big names in online RPGs: Ultima, Everquest, and Diablo. And it was the latter loot-gathering classic that would serve as inspiration for PSO.
>>
>terraria

Okay major question and deal breaker here. Is loot dropped by NPCs or found in shit. If it's crafting I'm dropping it before I buy it.
>>
>>387198347
It's both. Items are dropped by enemies, and bosses, found in dungeons, chests semi-randomly spawned in the world, and there are a few craftable weapons.

Armor is a bigger deal and its entirely crafted from grinding ore
>>
File: clementine.jpg (62KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
clementine.jpg
62KB, 360x240px
>>387183718
>similar to Phantasy Star Online
Its spiritual sequel PSU has a pserver that's coming along and it's pretty fun
>>
>>387198452
I don't know how I feel about that. I honestly hate crafting and survival shit.

Mostly because they take more time to do than actually enjoying the game.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.