[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What game is a proper spiritual sequel to the first MGS that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: MGS1.jpg (21KB, 468x320px) Image search: [Google]
MGS1.jpg
21KB, 468x320px
What game is a proper spiritual sequel to the first MGS that isn't already an MGS game? (i.e., not mgs2-5)

>Takes place as a long journey through a single location
>Great characters -- both good and bad
>Simple arcadey action/stealth gameplay
>Almost melancholy tone
>Attempts to incorporate THEMES into its plot
>that color palette
>>
File: MGS1.jpg (59KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
MGS1.jpg
59KB, 800x559px
>>
File: MGS1.jpg (64KB, 800x394px) Image search: [Google]
MGS1.jpg
64KB, 800x394px
>>
>>387168292
>What are sequels to this game that aren't sequels to this game

OP is retarded and should off himself, next thread.
>>
File: MGS1.jpg (109KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MGS1.jpg
109KB, 640x480px
>>387168529
>I'm a retard who doesn't know what spiritual sequel means
>>
there are none.
>>
>>387168292
didn't take them long
Vagrant Story
>>
>>387168712
don't tell me that.
>>
>>387168529
Are you retraded, or just american?
>>
>>387168672
>>387168948
What the fuck is the point of a spiritual when you already have actual sequels?

Who the fuck decides what is a sequel and what isn't? God neo-/v/ is braindead
>>
spec ops the line
>>
>>387169405
Are you literally so braindead you can't understand why someone would want to play a game that incorporates characteristics from one of his favorite games of all time? Also, not a single MGS (besides 3 arguably) continued MGS1's legacy.
MGS2 was good, but had a completely different tone
MGS3 was also good, closest to MGS1
MGS4 had good chapters 1 and 2. Everything else was garbage
MGS: GZ was great all around
MGS: TPP was hot garbage

Go back to playing pubg you overgrown faggot
>>
>>387168672
You are. A spiritual sequel of a game is something that is deliberately inspired by/a successor to it, not some game that just so happens to have similarities. Or is every build engine FPS a spiritual sequel to Doom according to you?
>>
>>387170073
Are you literally retarded? Look back at the original post. I'll post here for convenience:

>Takes place as a long journey through a single location
>Great characters -- both good and bad
>Simple arcadey action/stealth gameplay
>Almost melancholy tone
>Attempts to incorporate THEMES into its plot
>that color palette

It's almost as if I'm asking for a spiritual sequel or something!
>>
>>387168672
>I'm a retard who doesn't know the term is "spiritual successor," not "spiritual sequel"
>>
>>387170317
No, there doesn't exist a game that explicitly bills itself as a MGS1 spiritual successor. A fucking google search would have told you that much. Not to mention it'd have been all over the place if someone had tried to do that and actually succeeded.
>>
>>387168529
MGS2 and 3 are so drastically different from 1 they might as well be their own new series.
>>
File: Dead-Rising-Shopping-Mall.jpg (210KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dead-Rising-Shopping-Mall.jpg
210KB, 1280x720px
>>387168292
I always felt like Dead Rising touches on a lot of very similar themes while having a cast of characters that strongly bring to mind MGS. The stealth gameplay is still present but definitely evolved from what you're used to in MGS though.
>>
>>387168292
Twin Snakes
>>
>>387168292
>proper spiritual sequel to the first MGS that isn't already an MGS game?
That's not how a spiritual successor works.
>>
File: vs.jpg (369KB, 1398x1387px) Image search: [Google]
vs.jpg
369KB, 1398x1387px
>>387168801

this. it was even nicknamed "Medieval Gear Solid"
>>
>>387172417
>single man has to navigate a huge area full of enemies whilst getting radio calls from various characters to aid him or inform him, has bosses, good music, stealth is preferable AND it has the whole "it goes deeper than you think neo, reach into the rabbits hole"
pretty similar tbqh
>>
MGS 1 on Unreal Engine.
Google it.
>>
anyone who thinks metal gear has a good story or characters should be fucking euthanized to improve the general intelligence of the population
>>
>>387172941
Yeah but it all stats and numbers and shit, it's not as good.
>>
>>387169985
That's not what a spiritual sequel is. Go back to licking windows.
>>
>>387173185
it uses real-time, timing-based attacks like Mario RPG. it's an action-RPG.

you only 1 of each weapon type (blunt, edged, piercing iirc) to succeed anyway, but the slow-ass menus are a phantom pain, I'll give you that.
>>
>>387173127
MGS1 as a stand alone has a good story. It went straight to hell after that.
>>
>>387174491
MGS1 can't possibly be stand-alone since its story is a continuation of the first two Metal Gears.
>>
>>387174801
Being a sequel doesn't preclude it from working as a stand alone story.
>>
>>387168292
No More Heroes. Connections may seem tenuous at first, but following those guidelines, it's the closest thing I can think of.
>>
>>387174801
You don't need to know the whole history of Snake and Big Boss to appreciate MGS. Most people who played it at release never played the previous two anyway. In America at least.
>>
>>387175003
All the stuff with Gray Fox makes no sense without the MSX games, and that's just one example. If you want to make it stand-alone you'd have to remove all references to the previous games.
>>
>>387171832
>MGS2
>drastically different from 1

I hope they find a cure for whatever you have, anon
>>
>>387174801
>MGS1 can't possibly be stand-alone since its story is a continuation of the first two Metal Gears.

Most people who played MGS1 never played the MSX games and it works great because it's just back story. Everything you need to know is implied, or outright explained by dialogue.
>>
>>387175339
That's not true. Everyone outside of Japan was able to understand MGS1 fine despite never playing the previous games. His backstory and relevance to the game is made clear to newcomers.

Having references to other games doesn't preclude it from working as a stand alone story either as they aren't necessary to understand to overall plot.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.