[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the MMO genre really dead? Would it be dumb to go back to WoW?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

Is the MMO genre really dead?
Would it be dumb to go back to WoW?
>>
>Giving blizzard money in general
Yes it would be stupid.
>>
if you're desperate for another MMO just go to FFXIV or ESO.
>>
What even is the appeal of MMOs?
>>
>>387164861
makes the ol' dopamine receptors feel gud
>>
Feels that way to me. I can't really stand playing WoW or XIV anymore. Now I do own ESO, but still haven't really given that game an honest shot, so maybe there's something for me there. But I doubt that. Everything else is entirely unappealing and I'm kind of glad about that because I think I'm ready to distance myself from this genre.
>>
>>387164445
Yeah it's dead.
>BUT YOU CAN PAY 149.99 US DOLLARS FOR THIS FOUNDERS PACK TO MAKE ALL THAT PAIN GO AWAY AND WE'LL EVEN THROW IN THIS COOL TITLE AND 1000 KUKBUCKS TO BLOW ON SHIT IN GAME THAT FUCKS UP IMMERSION AND ISN'T AT ALL P2W!
>>
>>387164445
Play FF14
Or wait for pantheon and play it for two weeks before its dead again
>>
>>387164861
They're accomplishment simulators
>>
>>387164912
One thing I didn't like about ESO was that all the content was apparently level matched to your character, so no matter how far into dangerous wilds you went, you were never in great danger
>>
Play a Private Server dated back to when you enjoyed WoW the most.

I'm a BC baby, and loved BC the most, I was hype as fuck for Felmyst, but ended up rolling on Warmane's Medivh server.
>>
>>387164445

>is the MMO genre really dead

It's just on cooldown. Go get a hobby until a game comes out you can really destroy your life over

>Would it be dumb to go back to WoW

lol
>>
>>387165274
>Private servers
Ew
>>
I'm waiting for Lost Ark Online. I say it in every one of these type of threads I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLWSD9UN6qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAmn4x2r-O8
>>
>>387164445
I am having fun with Black Desert

Yes it's a grindan game. Yes there is a lot of "pay for convenience" that are really "pay to not lose your mind".

But the game is built off an interesting premise and you don't have to Be The Very Best to just enjoy how comfy and immersive the world is

And since there is no sub fee and the basic game is ten dollars, you can put it down or comeback anytime
>>
>>387164861

Getting together with a group of friends to combine your unique skills and talents in order to accomplish something greater than the sum of your parts.

We used to just hunt mammoths.
>>
>>387164861
Exploring a huge world without knowing what's going to happen, occasionally includes meeting new people to play with.
>>
where are all the upcoming bigshot mmo's

all i see is korean grindshit and crowdfunded garbage
>>
>>387164861
my thoughts exactly anon
>>
File: Screenshot_20170810-191331_01_01.png (671KB, 1075x882px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810-191331_01_01.png
671KB, 1075x882px
>tfw blizzard will crack down on classic servers entirely soon.
>>
>>387164445
I went back to gw2 and after an hour I already regret it
I've tried almost every mmo that /v/ talks about besides ffxiv and I don't think it's worth it
>>
>>387164861
mass exploration, large group battles and exploring with friends, RPG elements and roleplay in general.

I just wish all of the MMOs didn't have such shitty movement and physics. I'd love an MMO that actually tried to have a focus on cool movement as well as all of the skills like Warframe, but actually an MMO. It would be a bit hard to pull off though when you need to use keys for all your skills too.
>>
>>387165494
Looks great, holy shit. Those boss fights are probably stupidly hard and so rare and set pieced... Fuck sake. I just read there's like 15 classes, that's sexy.

Sadly Korean and that's never a good sign. Looks great though.
>>
>>387165948
They're announcing legacy servers this blizzcon so I'm ok with it.
>>
>>387164861
Used to be "exploring a big world with many people together with you". Nobody knew what the fuck because MMOs in the 90s didn't have a comprehensive Wikia detailing every single thing in the game one day after release.
WoW turned it into "ding ding you achieved something have a reward you're so great don't worry about anyone else unless it's an endgame raid: The Online Singleplayer Themepark Ride" and everyone's been copying that since the mid 2000s.

MMOs have become singleplayer games, and all sorts of other game genres have taken the "explore the world" and "play with a shitload of your friends at once" aspects of the MMO, obsoleting the original concept.

Just play Minecraft.
>>
File: paris.png (523KB, 463x560px) Image search: [Google]
paris.png
523KB, 463x560px
>>387165494
>korean
>top down camera
Into the trash she goes.
>>
>>387165494
>Quest choices
>In MMO
didn't work so well in swtor, but that exploration is what I want.
>>
>>387166019

They can't do a game with WF movements because almost every MMO has pvp and WF pvp is a complete mess with how mobile everyone is. Makes Quake look slowpaced and organized
>>
>>387165494
>walk forward really slowly
>press flashy ability
>maybe press 2 more flashy abilities
>lots of mobs die

wow, epic, amazing. im speachless. is anyone else #hyped for this based korean mmo?????
>>
>>387164861
>>>387164861
>>>>387165596
>>>>387164861
This >>387165596

Difference between MMOrpgs and single player RPGs is that single player rpgs, you are the one true hero, and you can do everything in terms of crafting and skill sets

MMOs make you choose certain traits,skills and professions and limit you so that if you will need the help of others to get everything
>>
File: shiet.png (80KB, 239x311px) Image search: [Google]
shiet.png
80KB, 239x311px
>yfw you realize mmos became shit because society as a whole became shit
>>
File: swg.jpg (573KB, 758x1037px) Image search: [Google]
swg.jpg
573KB, 758x1037px
Its been over 13 years and Im still mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_7TR-X4eFY
>>
>>387166231
i don't like those type of games on principle, but did you even watch the video? it's over 20 mins long and while i skipped through it, the boss fights aren't 'walk forward and press skill', how about you actually watch it before you shitpost?

it has exploration, crafting skill trees (or it seems to), mini-games and rpg quest choices, seems to be what Diablo 3 should have been.
>>
>>387166245
>yfw you realize mmos became shit because society as a whole became shit because mmos made society shit
>>
>>387164445
MMOs aren't dead, they're still huge, just less huge.
>>
File: 65474123.gif (410KB, 250x190px) Image search: [Google]
65474123.gif
410KB, 250x190px
Legion is not bad but you will get bored real fast with the current itemization system, warforged and titanforged are total bs, there is no real feel of "having bis items"on your character, artifact weapons are a joke too.
>>
>>387165494
so it's Diablo MMO? Alright, I'm down.
>>
>>387165948
..Don't say things like that Anon, legacy servers are what stop me getting depressed.
>>
File: 13579647194274.png (540KB, 604x559px) Image search: [Google]
13579647194274.png
540KB, 604x559px
>>387164445
mobas killed the mmo
>>
>>387166475
>how about you actually watch it before you shitpost?
do you realize how incredibly stupid that question is? jesus christ youre a moron
>>
>>387164445
>Is the MMO genre really dead?
Yes, and data miners killed it. MMO's were about exploring and doing shit with friends, now you know everything before the game even comes out because of dataminers wanting ad clicks and (You)'s.
>>
>>387164739
>FFXIV or ESO
contrarian detected
>>
>>387166137
>Just play Minecraft.
and you lost me
>>
>>387166137
>exploring a big world with many people together with you

I miss that so much. SWG will always be my favorite in that regard. Several planets to explore and always something cool to find if you bother to look. Or you could just speeder out into Bum-Fuck Egypt and camp under the stars.
>>
>>387165494
Looks like shit tbhh
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.