[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If games are so shit what stops you from designing your own?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

If games are so shit what stops you from designing your own?
>>
>>387159898
>you have to be able to make something better in order to criticise it.
>>
>>387160501
well im just wondering if people who can criticize also have the ability to design games.

JUST WONDERING.
>>
>>387159898
>waiter, this food tastes like shit
>bet you can't cook better
>>
>>387160804
>AND SHITPOSTING.
>>
I'm only good at hating videogames, not making it.
>>
Making games is very hard. That's why nearly all of them are shit. If making good games were easy, they'd be plentiful.
>>
>>387159898
>implying i'm not
Anon if i were to fill you in on what's going on, you'd laugh at me even harder. So that's why you won't know squat until I finish learning C++.
>>
As someone who knows next to nothing about making games here's my stab in the dark

>Time
I'm guessing it would take 6 months to learn the language(s) necessary to even begin writing the code needed for a game. Before that you need to know what you actually want to make, which then leads to; What engine?

>Cost
Art, unless you can draw, Soundtrack, unless you can produce as well as animations, advertising and voiceacting if you want it will all add up. If you choose an engine that isn't free (I don't know which are and which aren't) then thats another cost.

>Effort/Motivation
From what I've read about the big mod projects is that while they start off strong they usually fizzle out months down the line as people's motivation take a dive when they realize how much work the task requires. You might be one of those people who can stay glued to the job if it thats the case good for you, but making a game sounds like an absolute grind.

Feel free to enlighten me as to how it really is. The thought of making a game will always be a dream and nothing more for me. I spend my time on the PC as a leisure, couldn't do it as work.
>>
>this car runs like shit, it only goes 20mph and burns a gallon a mile
>bet you can't manufacture better

>this bridge is awful, it doesn't even meet safety standards
>bet you can't engineer better

>that movie was awful
>bet you can't direct better
Listen here you shit, the skill of the audience has no bearing on the quality of the product. Video games are meant to be enjoyed, and if I or anyone else recognizes something that's unenjoyable, we are allowed to say it's bad. That's not to say that something is bad just because I don't like it, but if someone notices a bug or a flawed mechanic, there is no reason not to bring it to attention.
>>
Analysis Paralysis.

When I was a kid, I would mess around in Game Maker, learning and making shitty little games.

Now I cant even think of doing that. I want to make something that would be GOOD. So I constantly come up with ideas, do a little bit of work now and again, a few pages, a couple lines of code, but never dive into anything. Never take any risks.
Thats the problem. Never try never fail.
Never even get started in the first place. Hoy.
>>
>>387159898
You know games are made by armies of people right?
>>
>>387162132
just the game design part would be enough to gather a whole team of developpers
>>
>>387159898
Im lazy.
>>
>>387162176
i mostly made this thread for myself. to me game designing seems obvious but im wondering for all the people who usually criticize game designs would it mean they could do better or is it just me.
>>
>>387163675
>i mostly made this thread for myself.
>for myself
>on public image board

Right, so on top of being a shitposter you are also pretentious attention whore.
How about you make a sexual exit aka fuck off from there and go back to whatever shithole you crawled from?
>>
File: f.png (65KB, 967x543px) Image search: [Google]
f.png
65KB, 967x543px
>>387159898
Literally time,I have other shit to do like state medical license exam in a month.
>>
File: steak[1].jpg (80KB, 600x691px) Image search: [Google]
steak[1].jpg
80KB, 600x691px
>>387163675
fucking designing is easy as fuck if you have a brain and know a thing or two about the development side. the problem is programming+art+music all 3 of which are entire lifelong commitments BY THEMSELVES
sure everyone has a ton of ideas but when massive limitations are put on you, things that affect the core of the things you are interested in making wtf is the point, unless youre deluded and think your little shit of a game will actually make rent money somehow
>>
Im lazy and stupid. Also i dont have computer.
>>
>>387159898
Western devs would probably stop listening to me the second I said 'no multiplayer' and 'focus on your characters, put effort in their design and their story arc'
>>
>>387159898
I have basically none of the necessary skills, except for (maybe) writing.
>>
>>387165240
then just start working on the design and see where it goes eventually maybe a studio will like it
>>
File: artisan.jpg (495KB, 538x2413px) Image search: [Google]
artisan.jpg
495KB, 538x2413px
>>387166602
Dont worry Kojima fakes even that.
But that doesnt stop him to have a legion of followers does it.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.