[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SteamOS & Box

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Valve-SteamBox.jpg (110KB, 702x719px) Image search: [Google]
Valve-SteamBox.jpg
110KB, 702x719px
What went wrong?
>>
>>387159385
Linux drivers are just bad, roughly 5-40% performance loss depending of how shitty the dev is, and volvo refuses to invest into anything. I still can't find a dx:md benchmark of dx12 vs linux vulkan.
>>
>>387159385
I don't think anyone really wants to play PC games in their living room
>>
>>387159385
literally no games
>>
Steambox vs (PS4, Xbox one & Nintendo console) vs a Real PC.
Easy choice.
>>
>>387159385
weren't these things just consoles but like $800
>>
>>387159385
Did the OS and the console had an official release? Good God, even Ouya was more known than this shit.
>>
>>387159385
Steam is only viable because it's the biggest digital storefront. It's actually really shit, not much better than fucking origin, and no one gives a shit about valve beyond that. Anyone who couldn't see this flipping from a mile away was insane.
>>
>>387159385
Yes i remember when linux became the new platform of gaming... oh wait
>>
Valve got to the point where they believed their name alone would sell anything. They were wrong.

They can't escape Windows that easily.
>>
>>387159876
I do but I own my own fucking house and not a little nigger like you
>>
They were put out by overpriced pre-built manufacturers unlike the Link and Controller.
>>
>switch to this OS that is both unproven and guaranteed to run fewer games
>so that you can play games

I still don't even know why they bothered trying
>>
Valve refused to eat some of the cost to produce then so instead of paying $500 you were paying $900 for what was a PS4
>>
Valve was counting on their brand giving the SteamOS project enough momentum to attract enough developers to make it worthwhile, but that never materialized. The boxes simply didn't really have a market, the PC guys were going to build their own anyway and there's no chance in hell the console guys are going to drop north of 500 dollars just to fucking beta test a system with a lackluster amount of games, and that non-existent niche having so many different vendors fighting for their share didn't help one bit either.
>>
Wasn't Gabenafraid that Windows 8 would be super restricted in terms of what you could install (or somehting like that). So, they felt that Steam was threatened and the SteamOS and the machines with it was created as a reaction to that? What they feared with Windows didn't happen so the need for their own OS and machines disappeared.
>>
>>387162898
Yeah, the point of it was having a viable escape plan and a threat to MS about leading the gaymen crowd out of their ecosystem if they went and restricted all sales to happen through the Windows Store as the then-popular rumor implied.
>>
>>387159385
>OS has no major DRM
>OS is freely editable all the way down to the kernel level
>Wonder why it has no games
Hmmm....
>>
>>387159385
They got lazy and made it a half assed debian fork with steam big picture slapped on it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.