[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Text-based Browser Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0759.jpg (100KB, 1278x686px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0759.jpg
100KB, 1278x686px
Any recommendations? Any past experiences to share?
>>
they're dead, jim.

gone. like tears in the rain.
>>
im also looking for one. was playing battleknight and gladiatus back in the time but they are dead now ;/
>>
>>387156670
CoC
>>
>>387156750
I refuse to believe. They shall make a comeback.
>>
>>387157000
so we can pick one, and take some anons to play on one server
>>
>>387156670
>>387156865
>>387156750
>>387156670
>Any recommendations? Any past experiences to share?

should i update excel rayne.....

Well, for now, you could try this
>http://www.byond.com/play/embed/76.118.190.57:6112

it's multiplayer, and if you can get past the tutorial segment (which desperately needs a revamp), there's a huge immersive multiplayer world in here. although the game's unfinished, if it gets active enough i'll find the time to update and finish this game. gets about 9 players regularly.
>>
>>387157092
I agree. Let's find.
>>
File: OcZYFj[1].png (660KB, 1273x988px) Image search: [Google]
OcZYFj[1].png
660KB, 1273x988px
>>387157110
Screenshot of the game

A lot of love and care went into making an atmospheric as fuck world, so it's a game where atmosphere takes precedence over all else. Give it a shot if you like.
>>
>>387156670
Text-based browser games are dead, son. Best you're gonna get is reasonably fun stuff like Kingdom of Loathing or Fallen London.

Or you can start playing MUDs and MOOs like a real human bean.
>>
>>387157605
What's a decent MUD for a beginner? I feel like everyone else on them has already been playing for nearly 20 years and I'll just annoy them.
>>
>>387157605
I wonder why they died out. Always liked the genre. Relaxed pace and interesting mechanics.
>>
>>387157719
Most of the Hellcore branches are fun. HellMOO, InfernoMOO, SheolMOO, and Stillborn (which is in development).

For the most part, most MOOs and MUDs are roleplaying platforms more than they are games, but Hellcore MUDs are much more focused on gameplay and PvP.
>>
>>387157413
How long did you work on it?
>>
>>387157817
some text games can have extremely incredible bossfights, like combat mechanics you would never expect.

like MMO-raid bosses in text format. they exist and they're awesome.
>>
File: 003.jpg (548KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
548KB, 1000x1200px
>>387156670
https://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/
https://www.playalterego.com/
>>
>>387157817
Because people hate reading. It's like why people prefer tv/movie adaptation over the original written source, or why 'cinematic' games are so prevalent.
>>
File: cmkarw[1].jpg (669KB, 3613x2710px) Image search: [Google]
cmkarw[1].jpg
669KB, 3613x2710px
>>387158297
>How long did you work on it?
the combat engine backing the game is about 12 years old now, i started working on the engine in 2005 with rp radio
>http://www.byond.com/games/mistamage123/rpradio
>Jun 2 2006

that game was a huge success, leading me to develop a non-sonic game using the same engine and refining it, so the combat engine part has almost 12 years of work behind it.

excel rayne by itself is a role-playing game with an rp engine which isn't single player and has to be hosted in multiplayer format. Because I had to start going to school&work, i had no time to continue hosting rps on the game, so I started development on Datastream, a single-player alternative (with multiplayer elements)

Datastream (the game i linked) is a "single-player MUD" using the engine, and assets specific to Datastream (the world, MUD-aspects, story, etc.) have about 1 year of devtime on them.

The Datastream game linked in this thread can be beaten in about 24 hours of gameplay, but the story is unfinished. Here's a look at the world map i'm intending for the full release of the game during Summer next year
>>
>>387158727
By text-based I also mean to include the mafia-wars type games. Basically, games with web forms and HTML interface. Not that much text in those right
>>
>>387159236
Got replaced by the same type of games but with better graphics. Most likely mobages. I mean, mafia type games doesn't have particularly deep gameplay after all.
>>
thinking about developing one
>>
Fallen London. Fun at first especially if you enjoy the setting but a chore later on. At some point the game stops being about seeing what the world has to offer and the individual stories and more about grind this action for 4 days in order get 3 paragraphs of text so you can grind 4 more days
>>
>>387156939
Fucking this
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.