[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

unpopular opinion: this game>the whole pokemon series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_4329.jpg (173KB, 250x275px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4329.jpg
173KB, 250x275px
unpopular opinion: this game>the whole pokemon series
>>
I fucking love this game so much but don't like digimon in general.
Stop comparing it pokemon the both have their strong points.
>>
>>387137251
Agreed it's not like SMT ever gets compared to pokemon as much as digimon does.
>digimon just lacks mainstream appeal and targets a niche audience.
>>
>>387135538
I know you're right, even with how little I know of how the game actually works, I KNOW you're right because it's so easy to compete with Game Freak.
>>
>>387138156
Well, neither does smt, but smt has it's identity focused and clear. Can you simplify the digimon games?

Pokemon, smt, yo-kai watch all have a clear identity and shared similarity, digimon always changes it's core mechanics and thus it creates a false sense of difficulty for newcomers to get into the series.
>>
File: vqoqe0j7kkntkchmqstx.gif (2MB, 636x353px) Image search: [Google]
vqoqe0j7kkntkchmqstx.gif
2MB, 636x353px
>>387135538
Strongest point this game has is the sluts it has, and even in that it loses to pokemon just by sheer force in numbers and amounts of doujins

Digimon is going through the right direction, but still comparing it to Pokemon like if this was 2004 doesn't make anyone a favor.
>>
>>387138156
everybody knows that pokemon is way out of smt league so it uncomparable. so let just compare this to franchise which are around the same level. smt is out of the question.
>>
I agree in terms of evolving and devolving Digimon, but from the gameplay stance, Cybersleuth plays more like a quest based RPG, whereas Pokemon is just going from town to town fighting bosses. I prefer Digimon, but the game gets awfully tedious at times, especially when you have multiple quests in the same area, but can only take one at a time. If they fix that, it would be great.
>>
>>387135538
It has worse balance than fucking Gen 1, a shit difficulty that's either more idiot proof than EXP share mode in Pokemon or stupid horseshit that requires you to abuse aforementioned terrible balance.

Not to mention the tedium of unlocking certain evolution paths.
>>
>>387139260
>It has worse balance than fucking Gen 1
i don't think you played gen 1
>>
I like all three franchises.
However SMT has the worst demon designs, the characters which are probably the best however.

This is really just a thread for people to hate popular things and say how much they like unpopular things.
>>
>>387139428
I don't think you played Cyber Sleuth. Even Mewtwo doesn't compare with just how fucking broken Defense Piercing attacks are.
>>
>>387137251
>>387138156
>>387138702
>>387139025

first, im not saying digimon>pokemon. im saying this only particular game trumps the whole pokemon series.

it was a good decision to make this game smt-style as of course, SMT series is always the best of the genre. none can compare.
>>
Fucking amazing game caught me off guard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OsurDY0Aw

This song is also the best.
>>
>>387135538
It's better than Gen 6 and 7 for sure. 4 and 5 > CS though.
>>
>>387139502
>Even Mewtwo doesn't compare with just how fucking broken Defense Piercing attacks are
you really have no idea how broken psychic types were do you
>>387139607
ya Digimon had a couple of really shit games and only a few good ones
>>
>>387139260
This.
Fucking game is Defense piercing the goddamn game
I wanna use a team of my favorite digimans but no fuck you, you have to use piece skills if you wanna not make battles into a terrible sluggish battle of attrition.
Vitagen tricked me into buying the shittiest jrpg i played during that year of release
>>
>*pixelates your team*
>>
>>387139607
>first, im not saying digimon>pokemon. im saying this only particular game trumps the whole pokemon series.

How?
I love this game it's probably one of my favourite games of all time. I've probably put in more hours than you.
However this game has major flaws to it's gameplay and difficulty. I still love every other bit though. The story, music, characters, plot, application of history, morality and philosophy. However it's gameplay and battle system is flawed and really shows when fighting bosses that are essentially HP sponges. The others I agree it's far better than pokemon and I'd even go as far to say SMT too.

>it was a good decision to make this game smt-style as of course, SMT series is always the best of the genre. none can compare.
SMT's only strong point is the once more system and it let's you attack again after exploting a weakness. It really has no depth. On harder difficulties it makes battles nothing but pure RNG. Where you can lose before you have your turn or a single turn. Sure it forces you to think but that's incredibly poorly executed.
>>
>>387139957
And you'll buy the next one because you can't escape your hunger, warrior of purgatory.
>>
File: Lucemon.jpg (53KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Lucemon.jpg
53KB, 500x281px
>>387139957
>Lucemon lilithmon and kerpymon are not among his fav digis
>>
File: Pixie Smug.png (94KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
Pixie Smug.png
94KB, 600x500px
>>387140241
>SMT's only strong point is the once more system and it let's you attack again after exploting a weakness. It really has no depth. On harder difficulties it makes battles nothing but pure RNG. Where you can lose before you have your turn or a single turn. Sure it forces you to think but that's incredibly poorly executed.
I don't think you're horribly familiar with SMT.
>>
>>387135538
I love this game so a lot and it rekindled my love of Digimon but it does have some major flaws
let's hope Hackers Memory fixes some things
>>
>>387139260
>>387139957
Thats why you buy this version that has everything fixed
Too bad the CS part will be Japan only
>>
>>387135538
what i really like about this game and the smt series are, in just one playthrough you are able to use like 80% of the whole digimon/demon/persona roster in the game.

while in pokemon, in 1 playthrough you are like using 6-10 pokemon which get stale after they leveled up fully. you can use more, but it means more grinding. while the grinding is boring as well.
>>
>>387140653
I obviously mean in terms of the battle system, there's really nothing else that different from other rpgs.
>>
File: mons.jpg (245KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mons.jpg
245KB, 1920x1080px
Post them digimon cyber slut teams
>>
>>387138702
Digimon is you raising your digital monsters to evolve based on how you train them
>>
>>387140968
First, the "once more system" isn't a thing, it's the "Press Turn System", and it isn't just based on weaknesses. It also takes into account crits, misses, passing turns, "Eye" skills, resistances, and status effects, and more importantly, it affects the enemy as well. So you need to not only manage your own ability to hit an enemy weakness, you need to make sure he can't hit yours, you need make sure your Speed buffs are up to snuff, you can use crit builds, do you pass your extra turns to a demon that can hit a weakness, or since some of those turns could be flashin turns does that mean that passing is a bad idea, or should you use a different demon to stagger your flashing turns to get as many weakness hits as possible, does the enemy have summons that are giving it extra turns, you got to deal with that, or do those adds end up eating into the bosses turn total and it's better to shut down their offensive capabilities, or hell, you have that one demon that is super great in this fight and has your only Dekaja because you're a fuck up, so is it worth it to keep it in and give the boss extra turns?

Anyone who has played any of the post Nocturne SMT games knows that the Press Turn system is about more than weakness targeting.

>On harder difficulties it makes battles nothing but pure RNG. Where you can lose before you have your turn or a single turn.
That almost never happens. Ever. And when it does it usually means you went into a boss fight where your entire party was weak to a given element, in which case that shit is your own fault.
>>
>>387140960
And the worst part of pokemon is that you cant even use those pokemon you raised during the story in multiplayer because they are going to suck, you have to trash them all and start from scratch to breed good ones
>>
>>387140764
That's because Japan didn't get a PS4 release of CS, we aren't missing any content when it gets here.
>>
>>387141957
You are missing content, this new version of CS has all the new balance changes, new digimon and new quests.
>>
>People constantly call Cyber Sleuth SMT lite
>Finally play it
>It's fucking nothing like SMT at all
>evolution system is literally the best the industry has ever seen
>the farm was such a well done mechanic that pokemon stole it

This game is great. I can't wait to play more in HM
>>
>>387135538
The game was fun, but the story was shit and you could tell every twist. it suffered from too many modern jrpg traps, and the fact that it was vita.
>>
>tfw none of the games will copy Appmon's binary code pattern on Digimons
>>
>>387138702
digimon have branching evolutions. Guess you never even played them.
>>
I can't wait to play Cyber Sluts: Hooker's Memory.
>>
This game made me want to fuck the girl who was secretly a digimon, it's a gateway to furry!
>>
>>387142326
You mean Menarche
>>
>>387142326
>Not Cyber Sluts: Hacker's Mammaries
>>
What's the difference between Cyber Sleuth and World Next Order?
>>
>>387142504
Everything
>>
I really wanna play this game but I keep hearing it's very easy. World of FF was disappointingly easy. How's this ?
>>
>>387142548
You could play on hard which is so broken you will cry
>>
>>387142039
I'd be surprised if they didn't just patch that in, I recall people getting pissed about not being able to get black agumon and gabumon because they were a day one thing and we got that for free on PS4.

Anyways, could you give source on the new quests thing? I wanna dig deeper into that.

>>387142504
CS: Average RPG
World NO: Classic tamagotchi digimon
>>
>>387142421
Both girls who were secretly digimons were dudes in armor tho, that's not very furry.
>>
>>387141764
>taking into account crits, misses, skills, resistances, status
>make sure your buffs are up to snuff
>different builds
>considering the enemy and their skills
Most of these are literally almost any RPG, nothing new.
>>
>>387142834
Not really. Pretty much every RPG has your tactics completely separated from what the enemy is capable of. Occasionally you need to be prepared to deal with status effects. Aside from that you do your thing. Almost no RPGs actually require you to change up your strategy and take into account what the enemy is doing, and practically none to the level that SMT does.
>>
>>387142834
They are not new but in MT they are the focus
You can ignore all of that in any FF game for example
In MT if you dont make a good demon to beat this one boss you are not beating it period
>>
How hard is it to find a match?
>>
>>387142548
its really easy early on but the boss fights gets more challenging later on. but i think there's reason for that

1. to ease casual fags into this genre. or :
2. most of times in the game you need to weaken your party first to make them stronger later on, or to broaden you collection of digimon.

i've made mistake on my 2nd playthorugh by weakening all my digimon, then i get wrekt by the easy boss that i underestimated.

i think, if they make the difficulty any harder, there will be no time for you to customize your fav digimon with all the skills you want for the pvp, as well as finishing your digimon collection in one playthrough
>>
i hope they learn from their mistakes and not make 90% of the cast completely unplayable on hard (or just not make normal a joke if you use the farm)
>>
>>387142603
>>387142548
hard is fun until you get a certain point of the game, then it becomes painful as fuck. I myself gave up on the last arata fight because fuck that shit.
>>
>>387143016
I think you're confusing game design with combat, the combat isn't special or anything.
I mean don't get me wrong, it's not like I hate SMT or anything.
But all of what you said just sound like a normal fleshed out RPG.
The once more system is just different in giving you an extra turn but really nothing that special. The battle planning, like making this boss act this way or this act another is the star of the show, not the combat itself.
>>387143030
I agree but the question wasn't how the battles were planned it was the battle system.
>>
>>387143476
I still don't think you know what you're talking about then, because most SMT games have probably the most complex boss fights in the genre.
>>
That's not really an unpopular opinion for anyone who's actually played it, OP.
>>
>>387143554
>I still don't think you know what you're talking about then, because most SMT games have probably the most complex boss fights in the genre.
And I'm not talking about that.
I'm talking about how the battle system isn't that amazing not the battles themselves.
>>
HaMe hype
>>
>>387143663
Tell me of some games with amazing battle systems then
>>
>>387143646
Titsmon are the worst thing to happen to Digimon
>>
>>387143663
Type your god damn words correctly, because you are being very confusing. What are you saying is not special about SMT?
>>
>>387143769
I'm saying the fucking battle system isn't as amazing as you keep talking about, it's just your regular battle system with type matchups, builds but with a feature that let's you move more than once.
I'm saying the amazing thing about this series is the battles themselves. This boss might make you attack differently, or thing boss might require you need this resistance or make you be careful of something and so-on.
What's so hard to get?

>>387140968
>There's nothing really special about the battle system
>>387141764
>Yeah there is, look at all this shit
>>387142834
>Most of those are in normal RPGs
>>387143016
>no the game requires you to think differently and you have to do x and y.
>>387143476
That's the 'game design' not the battle system. I'm talking about the battle system.
>>387143554
I still don't think you know what you're talking about then, because most SMT games have probably the most complex boss fights in the genre.
>>387143663
I'm talking about the battle system, not the battles themselves.

Seriously, are you purposely feigning ignorance?
I'm talking saying the battle system isn't that amazing.
Not the battles themselves.
I'm not disagreeing with you that the 'battles' are amazing or anything, but the 'battle system' isn't that great.
You keep thinking I'm talking about the battles themselves while I'm talking about the mechanics.
>>
>>387144862
Still waiting on your list of games with amazing battle systems here.
>>
>>387135538
You could really tell it was a budget game, I found the animations to be lacking
>>
>>387144862
Game design and battle system are literally the same thing. What in the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>387135538
I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison
Cyber sluts has more of an smt style of gameplay in comparison to pokemon and I wouldn't compare the two of those games together because they are so different from one another
If this is a Digimon > Pokemon as a personal preference thats fine, But I think it would be more fair to compare this game to smt games and see where it falls among those games as they have more in common with their gameplay than Pokemon does
>>
Pokemon is in a very bad place right now so its easy to have that opinion.
Who knew Digimon games being varied would prove to be their strength in the long run
>>
Pokemon games refuse to make difficult games for their adult fans whole Digimon is starting to focus on their older audience
If Digimon starts becoming more successful then I can see Nintendo trying to make some adult Pokemon games
>>
>>387145042
No it's fucking not.
I'll put it like this.
Let's say they remade SMT:nocturne but made it so easy that enemies and bosses don't require any skill and you can beat them without grinding, planning builds or considering type matchups or anything.
Keep in mind it's still the same battle system, you can make builds, you can plan it out but you don't need to as they're all easy as fuck.

This new game has the same 'gameplay mechanics' but not the same 'game design' that had thought and effort put in that required the user's skill to win.
>>
File: 1497888293395.jpg (32KB, 347x395px) Image search: [Google]
1497888293395.jpg
32KB, 347x395px
>No FEMC in the new Cyber Sluts
ANGERY
>>
The music is also fantastic.
>>
>>387145446
No it's not,it's the same gameplay mechanics as other digimon games like dusk and dawn, but more dampened down.
>>
I hate these threads since it just devolves into Pokemon vs Digimon.
They both have their strong points.
>>
>>387146027
Alright, then the term you're looking for is "encounter design", in which case I would again point out that the entire point of SMT's systems are that they have very direct interaction with the enemy. These systems are what allow boss design to be meaningful, because they all interact within the confines of the core mechanics without requiring unique and silly gimmicks, while still forcing the player to take unique approaches to each encounter.

Yes, there isn't a million combo meters or synergy stones, or whatever the fuck stupid shit most over bloated JRPGs have when they're desperately trying to achieve depth without a basic understanding of the concept, but there is a battle system which rewards understanding of it's systems, and has the flexibility to allow for good "encounter design". That's the strength of SMT's design, small interactions with big pay offs.
>>
>>387146273
Ya but even Pokemon fans can agree that the games aren't as good as they used to be while Digimon games are getting better
It makes sense to compare them since Digimon was advertised as Pokemon rival in most places
>>
File: DCS_Jun012015_A14.jpg (129KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
DCS_Jun012015_A14.jpg
129KB, 960x540px
>>387146079
I'd be okay with that if he had the 'cool kid' look Takumi had, he had the perfect digidestined leader look. New guy just looks lame compared to him.
>>
>>387146528
>since Digimon was advertised as Pokemon rival in most places
wtf no
>>
>>387146528
>Digimon was advertised as Pokemon rival in most places
Yeah in schools among the children
>>
>>387135538
just finished the game yesterday, it's fucking great.
At least digimon games evolved, it feels like a game made for people who played the past games as childs and then grew up to play this, while pokemon is the same shit repeated until infinity
>>
>>387139634
this one was my fav
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAMxBH98ozw
>>
>>387146742
Maybe it was only America then
>>387146830
They changed things to be more like Pokemon in America
>>
>>387146519
>Yes, there isn't a million combo meters or synergy stones, or whatever the fuck stupid shit most over bloated JRPGs have when they're desperately trying to achieve depth without a basic understanding of the concept, but there is a battle system which rewards understanding of it's systems, and has the flexibility to allow for good "encounter design". That's the strength of SMT's design, small interactions with big pay offs.

Dude what?
Once again the battle system isn't that amazing.
It's your typical run of the mill gameplay.
You can get the SMT team on any other game and they would be able to make amazing battles, because they know how to make interesting battles.
It's the battles themselves they're good at, not the actual gameplay mechanics.
I'll leave this conversation at that.
I'm beginning to think you're a die hard fan boy who can't handle any type of criticism, so there's no real point in talking.
>>
>>387147184
Im still waiting for what you consider an amazing battle system
>>
>>387147184
I have to agree with you on your view on the smt battle system being simple shit, I play smt games more for the atmosphere than anything else.
>>
>>387147890
Reccomend me some games with complex battle systems
>>
It was a nice change of pace that for once, a Digimon game was mostly focused on the real world and not the Digital World. Most games toss you there forever. Also, having real areas affected by Digimon was great, it's too bad we never get a real rampage at any point.
>>
File: IMG_4372.jpg (27KB, 189x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4372.jpg
27KB, 189x266px
>>387146921
pokemons are playing it safe, doesnt deviate much from its formula. they are not improving, but doesnt fall into a really bad game either.

while digimon games are taking risks everytime new ones came out.

remember Digimon World 4
>>
I wish dawn and dusk were as fleshed out as this
>>
>>387148625
Fuck YEAH I remember Digimon World 4

I begged for it for months and when I got it I got walled within the first few levels. Really hard iirc
>>
>>387148810
its not the difficulty that matters
its the game it self sucks so bad.

digimon with swords ffs. look at the design guilmon look high as fuck
>>
>>387148004
Dmc3/4, fighting games.
You can disagree but im still calling a spade a spade no matter how much you strawman.

>>387148625
It was an okay dungeon crawler WITH friends, trying to unlock the mega digimons was fucking boring.
>>
>>387149473
In turn based games, I though that was obvious.
You comparing different genres is just dumb now
>>
>>387135538
I can't say better than the entire series cause thats a lot of games, but I enjoyed it more than the 3DS era of games. I hope Hacker Memory isn't too much of a rehash.
>>
>>387149473
nigga we talking about turn based games
>>
>>387142201
That's good, because IMHO it looks too cluttered and should only be used in transformation sequences.
Also, NOBODY PROGRAMS IN LITERAL ZEROES AND ONES, it would make more sense to use Assembly or machine code.
>>
>>387149550
>>387149676
>name a game with a more complex system
>names it
Unless you think im some other faggot anon youre arguing with i answered your stupid ass strawman.
Pokemon happy?
>>
>>387149818
You are so angry at nothing.
>>
>>387148625
>while digimon games are taking risks everytime new ones came out.
Sometimes I wish they didn't cause I could count on my hand the amount of good Digimon games.
>>
>>387149818
>can't back up statement and resorts to using non turn based games as an example
give us a turn based rpg with a more complex system or shut the fuck up
>>
>>387150073
looks like their done taking risks for now and are going to stick with 2 types of gameplay
world and story
>>
>>387148004
I know most people here hate pokemon but Pokemon is more complex. The multiplayer that is. It involves reading your opponents, memorising stats, and probabilities, guesswork, out predicting, items and a whole more.
It's not just simple scissors paper rock any more.
>>
>>387150761
your right it's about who can keep their mega rayquazza an the field longer
>>
>>387151015
No, you're really mistaken if you think you can win with a team of mega rayquazas.
I beat a guy who thought like you with a mega rayquaza and a bunch of other strong legendary pokemon, i beat them all with a single pokemon, who never used a damaging move in the battle.
Tactics really plays a part and without it I would have easily lost.

Like using aura sphere on chansey is the most stupid thing you could do. Despite aura sphere being super effective on Chansey.
Chansey is a tank that can take aura sphere for days and laughs at you while doing it, and can heal their entire party completely making your opponent take the victory in a single turn.
You could have pokmeon for early game, late game, pokemong to stop sweepers, sweepers. pokemon that set for your team, pokemon that cause hazards for your opponenent. It's a really complex system, not from your typical RPG.
>>
>>387148625
But pokemon does take risks, they make a bunch of spin offs each with a different type of setting and gameplay
>>
>>387151492
Explorers of Sky is also the best game of all time.
>>
>>387148004
Langrisser
>>
>>387151437
>And then 99% of players will just use Smogonmon anyway
>>
>>387153197
Not really non-smogon players are another level, you can't predict them as easily and have fun and unique combos and teams.
They're essentially harder than nonrmal teams.
>>
>>387153694
so pro pokemon players always have unique and diverse teams?
let's look at the pokemon the top players use
http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/worlds/2016/teams/masters/
>>
>>387153694
but all the players in the pvp kinda use the same pokemons anyway which is only like 5% of the whole pokedex.
>>
>>387153998
>>387154023
That's pretty much the same for almost all competitive games though.
Smogon and other people base their teams around these top players too, they lead the meta.
That said this year was more diverse than others.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.