[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: the most overrated games in their respective franchise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

File: ToV_X360_(NTSC-U)_game_cover.jpg (104KB, 640x911px) Image search: [Google]
ToV_X360_(NTSC-U)_game_cover.jpg
104KB, 640x911px
ITT: the most overrated games in their respective franchise
>>
>>387118990
It doesn't make the game bad.
>>
>>387118990
you can't even play as that nigger.
>>
I'm still salty the PS3 version never got localized.
>>
Breath of the Wild
Final Fantasy IX
>>
>>387118990
That's not Abyss
>>
>>387119152
PS3 version has a completed fantranslation which is playable on a hacked PS3
>>
>>387118990
>ITT: the most overrated games in their respective franchise
>pic not related

Vesperia is actually pretty damn good.
>>
>>387118990
At this point I feel as though Berseria is overrwated as fuck
I go into so many threads where there will be people saying its that best tales game
Sure its got the most best cast in a long time, but the gameplay still has many flaws
When comparing Berseria to previous games, you can tell that they cared more about fleshing out their characters really well and ignored fixing many of the problems the game has with its combat and exploration
>>
lukewarm dog shit at best
>>
>>387119623
if by this you mean REmake then sure.
>>
File: 1489688287849.jpg (165KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1489688287849.jpg
165KB, 1366x768px
>>387118990
As a Symphonia fan I have to say you're wrong.

Symphonia is the most overrated one. Even though it's the last good tales of game before it went full weebshit and streamlined, it's the Final fantasy 7 of the series.Overrated, bit outdated gameplay and because so many people were desperate for a jrpg they gobbled it up.
>>
>>387119583
I don't see any problem about the combat system, unless you're talking about difficulties below moderate, since the only thing you do the entire game is button mash.
>>
>ITT: post best games in their respective franchise and see how people react

Nice thread, OP
>>
File: final-fantasy-ix-cover-large.jpg (145KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-ix-cover-large.jpg
145KB, 1024x768px
this miserable shitheap

worst battle system in the series by a landslide. Everything that VII did right is gone here. Battle animations take absolutely forever, ATB bars feel slow as fuck, loading takes an eternity. Even VIII's battle system was faster and more responsive. The Trance system is the worst excuse ever for making things more balanced and is mostly worthless to you. Materia and Junctioning and Jobs and even the Sphere Grid are far better character building systems than this game's overly limited system.

Music is mostly fucking terrible, seriously, listen to the battle themes and especially the boss themes, they are a disgrace to the series. inb4 town music, the battles take so goddamn long that they make up most of the playtime.

Story is mostly shit, they make the villains pretty intimidating but the events in the story are just glossed over. We just genocided an entire species? Whelp flip to the next disc and let's never talk about it again. Also NECRON OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE

note how anytime anybody describes why they like the game all they can come up with is M-MUH CHARM or M-MUH GRAPHICS
>>
Witcher 3
Dark Souls 1
Final Fantasy 6
TLoZ Ocarina
Mario 64
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 3
SMT 4
Donkey Kong 64
Fallout NV
Quake 3
Portal 2
Saints Row 4
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Doom 2016
XCOM EU
Earthbound
>>
>>387120261
I mostly agree, but it has the best OST in the series by far.
>>
>>387120683
No it doesn't. Some of the town themes are kinda comfy, some of the event music is alright, but the battle themes are absolutely fucking atrocious, and the music doesn't get anywhere near what IV-VIII and X had going on.
>>
>>387120606
>Donkey Kong 64
A game can't really be overrated when mist purple don't like it
>Earthbound
But most people say Mother 3 is better
>XCOM EU
Consensus on this one is petty divided. Again, it's not really overrated if there is any equal or greater amount of the fanbase that hates it
>>
>>387120261
>Also NECRON OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE
Its this the first final fantasy game you've ever finished? A good deal of the latter entries just shoehorned some greater threat last minute. Necron may be the most abrupt but plenty of them still throw something else at you with little to no proper build up or explanation.

As far as the trance system, the only thing that made it awful was how there was no choice in when to use it. If they just handled it like limit breaks where going into trance replaced your standard attack until you aren't it, it would have been a lot better.

The ability system is petty much the same as the tactics games where you have to equip an item and gain skill points and nobody complains there so I'm not sure what your issue is here.

But really, the thing that draws me to ff9 is the characters. Every one of them, save for Amarant has an interesting personality and fleshed out goals and ideals, as well as personal stories and conflicts that you can directly take part in and serve to better connect with them. They all also have their own distinct dynamic within the group and the ways each of them pair off and develop bins with each other is done very well with believable chemistry forming between specific pairings. None of it ever feels forced or arbitrary unlike 7, 8, out 10. Outta ready to invest in and care about the cast which makes you care more about the story and what happens to them. The plot falls apart near the end but the ride to that point is still pretty enjoyable.
>>
HGSS from Pokemon. Way fucking overrated.
>>
>>387122662
platinum is more overrated Tbh, but HGSS is second place
>>
>>387120836
>comfy
>>
>>387119897
>Cloud: Aeris, have this hot coffee
>Aeris: Thanks
>Cloud: Hot, isn't it?
>Aeris: Yeah, really hot.
>Cloud: I lied. It's actually iced coffee. I had Barret make it cold.
>>
>>387119720

Wew lad
>>
>>387123012
Autism
>>
>>387120261
>worst battle system in the series by a landslide.

This is pretty much the only point I agree with. Other JRPGs at the time i.e Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon and even fucking FF8 had battles that moved at least twice as fast as 9, and it's made even worse by the most ridiculous encounter rate since the NES games. You can't even make the excuse of "Oh but at least it tried something new!" FF7 is constantly given shit for rehashing the same gameplay as before, so why is 9 championed for doing so?
>>
>>387120261
>>387123545
are we going to pretend FF2 doesn't exist now? Or 8?
>>
>>387123580
Never played 2 but 8 at least tried something new with the junction system and it wasn't as painfully slow as 9.
>>
>>387123650
9's slow as shit speed came from the ps1's hardware limitations which are mitigated with the steam release, nothing fixes that garbage junction system
>>
File: Shin_Megami_Tensei_Persona_4.jpg (111KB, 250x336px) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Megami_Tensei_Persona_4.jpg
111KB, 250x336px
Not even FF7 comes close to how overhyped and overmilked this game is.
>>
>>387123580
As shitty as drawing is and how easy it is to break the game, the act of battling in VIII is fine. The animations are fast enough and responsive, and it has the crit system that rewards you for timing R1 to keep you involved. Plus the battle music and boss themes are good.

FFIX has nothing to offer but the absolute slowest ass gameplay in the JRPG genre to date.

Also yeah, FF2 is by a landslide the worst game in the series, but that's more to do with the level design and the leveling system, the battle system itself is the same as the first game, fast and snappy.
>>
>>387123697
>from the ps1's hardware limitations
explain FFVII and especially FFVIII having much smoother, faster battle systems.
>>
File: cory.jpg (75KB, 547x692px) Image search: [Google]
cory.jpg
75KB, 547x692px
>>387123732
>worse than its two predecessor
>worse than its successor
>people still praise it
>Atlus continues to milk the fuck out of it

god I hate persona 4 so much
>>
>>387123795
neither are as taxing on the system as FF9, especially not 7
>>
>>387123732
Still the best Persona game out there.
>>
>>387123893
maybe they shouldn't have had the actual animations be so flashy and long-winded then.

or at least give us some good music to listen to while the battles take place and not the most painful in the series barring FFX-2
>>
>>387118990
That's not Berseria
>>
>>387123984
hold up, did this dumb fuck just call the FF9 ost bad?
>>
>>387118990
More like the only good game.
>>
>>387119720
lmao
>>
File: 250px-Talesoftheabyss_us.jpg (31KB, 250x357px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Talesoftheabyss_us.jpg
31KB, 250x357px
>>
>>387124014
listen to the boss theme and compare it to literally every other boss theme in the franchise

I can't excuse the battle music being terrible when the battles are so slow and eat up a huge majority of the playtime
>>
File: pieceofshit.jpg (26KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
pieceofshit.jpg
26KB, 353x500px
>>387118990
FFX.
It's literally just Prototype XIII. Aggressively linear, even by FF standards, and filled to the brim with horrid acting, obnoxious melodrama and a plot that goes Full Retard towards the end.

Jecht and some elements of the battle system are its only saving graces. The only people who like X either played it when they were young, so 'muh childhood', or are shitty moe anime-loving faggots.
>>
>>387124745
>best FF battle system
>TONS of optional content and content in general
>great boss battles that rely on knowing their mechanics rather than spamming the same shit over and over again

the writing is silly but the world and story ideas are good, and lets not pretend the story in most FF games is good
>>
>>387119897
>Even though it's the last good tales of game before it went full weebshit and streamlined
what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>387118990
that ain't symphonia
>>
>>387125485
He's right you know, it's the last game that had proper temples and puzzles
>>
>>387125612
The puzzles in Symphonia were ass and the temples were some of the worst in the series so far
Besides Abyss, which was literally the very next in the series, was in no way more streamlined or weebshit than Symphonia
>>
>>387120606
don't forget wario 4
>>
Vesperia is fucking bizarre. I loved it the first playthrough but when I picked it back up years later for a NG+ run I fell fucking asleep midway through. Meanwhile I can NG+ the shit out of every other Tales game.
>>
>>387118990
As far as videogames go this is one the very best on all accounts and should be played by everyone...like right now. Brave Vesperia!
>>
File: smt_nocturne.jpg (466KB, 1199x1199px) Image search: [Google]
smt_nocturne.jpg
466KB, 1199x1199px
>>
>>387126240
the backwards (even for the time) controls turned me off from this game within minutes.
>>
>>387126351
uh refresh my memories what's wrong with nocturn's controls?
>>
>>387118990
If one of the series is exclusive there is a 75% chance it is greatly over rated. So many times have I gotten my hands on an exclusive that had so much praise to realize it was drastically over rated.
>>
>>387119583
Nah I think the character got problem too. Like how did Laphicet suddenly gain his emotion? Why did Rokurou so eager to help Velvet? There are more but I'll stop.
>>
>>387119583
Gameplay, world map and musics are shit. Heck, even Zestiria did better in those departments, especially the music.
>>
>>387118990
>Randomly smash buttons
Fun
>>
>>387118990
I finished Vesperia PS3 just the other day. Damn the final boss was shitty and the story overall was pretty weak. The gameplay was great however.
>>
>>387118990
Well said.
>>387119042
He never made such claims.
>>
>>387128909
Why did you hate Duke? Not that I don't hate him just wondering.
>>
>>387124001
Fuck off. Vesperia is the most overrated game of all time.
>>
>>387124554
This. Luke a shit
>>
File: 1351387488703.jpg (43KB, 441x519px) Image search: [Google]
1351387488703.jpg
43KB, 441x519px
>>387120606
>Dark Souls 1
>not Bloodborne
>FF6
>not FF7
>Persona 3
>not Persona 4
>Fallout NV
>Quake 3
>Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Anon please end your life for the good of all.
>>
>>387118990
It was alright and I don't even really like the tales games
>>
>>387126240
This and 4 are both ridiculously overrated because they brought in a shitton of new players to the series. Both aren't as good as previous games in the series but Nocturne in particular is still great. 4 is interesting because it's a kind of a more modern re-imagining of 1 and it gives the player a lot of freedom thanks to being so similar structurally.
Nocturne was great but I'm glad it didn't actually change the direction of mainline.
>>
>>387125934
It's a well-made game and it comes together really well but the story never knows what it's doing with itself and the cast is fun but really not worth spending more than one playthrough with, as based as Yuri is most of the characters aren't really that well-written
>>
>>387120606
Try hard the list
>>
File: Skyrim_Cover.png (4MB, 1529x1898px) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim_Cover.png
4MB, 1529x1898px
You all fucking suck. Here's a REAL overrated game. Step your game up anons.
>>
>>387118990
You mean the best games in their respective franchises?
>>
File: 1mxr6tH.jpg (391KB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1mxr6tH.jpg
391KB, 4160x2340px
>>387130956
Playing through this right now and about to finish the game, Luke (and literally every other party member) is great and well-fleshed out, the only bad bit with him is the constant "I suck and am not as good" > "No luke stop saying you suck, idiot" dialogue with him and the party, but I feel it's somewhat justifiable given how often he actually is asked to die or told he does suck by Van or Asch or even party members on occasion, the dude's surrounded by conflicting info re: his suckiness.

No, what really kills abyss is the way the entire fucking game post akzeriuth becomes do a dungeon, then go to EVERY CITY IN THE GAME TO TALK TO THEIR RESPECTIVE LEADERS IN SEQUENCE, then move the plot a bit, then HEAD BACK TO ANOTHER 3 CITIES FOR ANOTHER 3 SCENES, then do another dungeon, ad infinitum. The fact the game doesn't give you fast travel until after the 1-month skip is just taking the piss; even WITH it the game moves at a snail's pace. Sometimes I forget the fucking thing even has combat in it you spend so much time traveling between cutscenes.
>>
>>387119513
It's pretty mediocre, easily one of the weakest story in the franchise and most of the characters are shit to play as
Also blah blah blah tidal wave
>>
>>387131852
Saying Skyrim is overrated is an iffy statement because by this point how good the game actually is is a moot point compared to what you can make it be with mods. It having a really dedicated modding community helps.

Besides, it has a lot of content to explore as it is.
>>
>>387132593
A lot of content but not a lot of varied content.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.