[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cRPG renaissance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 17

File: crpgs.jpg (1MB, 1288x3304px) Image search: [Google]
crpgs.jpg
1MB, 1288x3304px
So can we all agree that something good came from kickstarter after all?
>>
What makes Dragonfall so much better than returns?
>>
>>387118676
less linear, better mission design, better world design.
>>
>>387118360
Legend of Grimrock I & II is one of the worst and most boring blobbers ever.

Shadowfall and all his xpacs is bad too. Just a good editor.
>>
>>387118360
>underrail
>shadowrun
>great

but the story is dogshit, i mean, how can you fuck up that part in a RPG
>>
File: Expedition.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Expedition.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>387119239
Underrail is an absolutely fantastic game, incredible turn based combat and even some immersive sim stuff in there.

Super good build variety, it's how RPGs should be.
>>
>>387118360
People don't like Age of Decadence?
>>
>>387119776
It's ugly as fuck, it's UI is shit, it's moment to moment gameplay is boring, just because it has good C&C doesn't make it a good game.
>>
>>387119535
>incredible turn based combat
i've seen no differences compared to other cRPGs, and i like how enemies have triple action points than you
>immersive sim stuff
what

It was pretty shit, had to use cheat engine to speed up the game and to not get bored with all that useless walking and dialogues, and no one explained what was going on, too much vague, and can't bother myself to play for 60 hours to find some lore at the end, dropped.
>>
>not including the perfect game Grimoire.
What is it OP. Are you intimidated by Cleve's intelligence?
>>
>>387118360
yes, skullgirls
>>
File: PoE statchecks.png (60KB, 1523x393px) Image search: [Google]
PoE statchecks.png
60KB, 1523x393px
>>387118360
>DOS
>not trash tier

>DOS higher than AoD or PoE
This has to be bait. DOS doesn't have even a small fraction of roleplaying depth either of these games have.
>>
>>387120029
>inb4 muh kiddiniddy
>inb4 muh hucknslush
>inb4 muh circus music

Your opinion is worthless and you need to stop posting.
>>
>Expeditions Vikings
Wow, I actually hadn't heard about this. Is it better or worse than Conquistador?
>>
lol i couldn't get into any of these. Max 20 hours on PoE.
>>
>>387120029
>D:OS
>trash tier
The only other RPG that's even come close to the amount of fun I had fucking around in that game's combat was roleplaying with friends in NWN, which had fuck all to do with the gameplay.
>>
Why is Tides of Numenera so fucking shit?
>>
>>387119886
>don't enjoy games for the gameplay
go play visual novels faggot
>>
I tried to get into Shadowrun Returns three times and dropped it after a couple of hours each time out of boredom. Should I force myself to finish it or can you just skip it and go straight to Dragonfall?
>>
>>387120790
I would actually advise that you do skip it and go straight into Dragonfall. Shadowrun Returns is honestly just incredibly average and the other games have standalone stories.
>>
>>387120939
I guess I'll do that, I completed PoE a couple of times so I don't really mind slow games, but everything about Returns seems really bland, from environments to the combat.
>>
Is Tides that shit? I backed it, but still haven't got around to playing it because I've been busy with other backlog games.

Why does it suck? The concept of old magic vs high tech seemed good, kinda like a more modern Arcanum.
>>
out of the great tier, which of them has the most content? i keep seeing people say dragonfall only has like 7 hours of content and i don't really wanna bother if thats true for any of these games
>>
>>387122019
>out of the great tier, which of them has the most content?
PoE, Wasteland 2 and Underrail.
>>
>>387118360
>Tiers go straight from 'great' to 'okay', skipping a good tier
What a terrible list.

>>387120790
>>387121125
Returns is just a combination proof-of-concept and very basic, straightforward campaign for people who are entirely new to Shadowrun. It's best to just jump straight to Dragonfall, then play Hong Kong if you like it.
>>
>>387121426
There's almost no combat to actually test out the system, the writing is plagued by purple prose all over the place, is very wordy but not really thought-provoking (unlike PS:T), the characters are boring and unmemorable, and so on. Imagine all of those special snowflake backer NPC descriptions from PoE were actually a part of the main plot
>>
File: 1502305052413.png (147KB, 367x647px) Image search: [Google]
1502305052413.png
147KB, 367x647px
>>387122019
Divinity Original Sin is around 80 to 100 hours long, same for Underrail.
Grimrock is about 30 hours long.

Go with Divinity, its a joy to play.
>>
>>387122643
I am entirely new to Shadowrun though, I'm kind of aware that it's a cyberpunk setting with elves but that's it
>>
File: adpnBYj_700b.jpg (37KB, 604x445px) Image search: [Google]
adpnBYj_700b.jpg
37KB, 604x445px
tfw I enjoy both PoE and DOS, and Tyranny was fun
>>
>>387120463
>Is it better or worse than Conquistador?
It's different. It has a much bigger focus on actual roleplaying and character exposition, but the survival and exploration gameplay elements have been simplified. Overall, I think it was a change for the better. Vikings is definitely a good RPG, better and way more challenging than the overhyped trash like DOS.
>>
Age of Decadence should be top tier
>>
>>387118360
>fun with autism
So you're stupid, huh
>>
>>387123283
You're dealing with Lariancucks, they don't even know what a RPG is.
>>
>>387123283
>>387123428
>>>/rpgcodex/
>>
>>387122791
I still wouldn't force yourself to finish Returns if you're bored, anon. Dragonfall is still straightforward enough to be a good introduction to the setting since it includes a lot of background detail and you'll understand a lot more through context. The narrative, characters and writing are a lot better than Returns and should be enough to keep you interested.

Shadowrun's a pretty easy setting to understand in general anyway. It's your typical cyberpunk setting (corporations rule the world, hacking is done with virtual 3D projections in The Matrix) where magic is real, so you get elves/dwarves/dragons and both shamanistic and 'regular' magic. Dragonfall should be straightforward enough to follow even for someone who's new to the setting, even if you don't understand all the context right away.
>>
File: 1501974488331.png (22KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
1501974488331.png
22KB, 100x100px
>>387120029
>DOS doesn't have even a small fraction of roleplaying depth either of these games have

you haven't played it, have you anon?
>>
>>387118360

I wish this "White March fixed PoE" meme would die already. It did introduce some cool encounters, but the core of the game remained superfucked and the writing is still a steaming pile of mediocrity in expansions.
>>
>>387123932
What part of the core is fucked?
>>
File: 1484065514033.jpg (37KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
1484065514033.jpg
37KB, 600x315px
>>387124000

Engagement system that makes the initial positioning overly important and rigid, lack of meaningful diversity in abilities, obtrusive spell visuals, virtually zero reward for combat in a combat-heavy game, general lack of non-combat options. Personally I also dislike that to get interesting builds you gotta heavily rely on the items, but that's hella subjective.
>>
File: 1502702870388.jpg (21KB, 263x282px) Image search: [Google]
1502702870388.jpg
21KB, 263x282px
Is there any legit criticism to Torment: Tides of Numera, other than "muh sjw"? I have heard that it plays alot like Planescape.
>>
File: 1501471019202.jpg (63KB, 540x581px) Image search: [Google]
1501471019202.jpg
63KB, 540x581px
>>387124463
>initial positioning overly important
Why is that a bad thing?

>lack of meaningful diversity in abilities
what would make it meaningful? As far as I know, there are plenty of different abilities that can be used to apply dots, debuffs, shapeshifting, etc etc.

> obtrusive spell visuals
but PoE has one of the most subdued spell effects in general. Baldur's Gate magic, for example, would cover half the screen.

>virtually zero reward for combat in a combat-heavy game
Except for loot

>general lack of non-combat options
You mean resolving quests without fight? There aren't many, but there are those.
>>
>>387124728
Its simply not fun, unfun combat, no interaction with NPCs outside combat except for dialouge, everything feels incredibely static.
>>
>>387119883
Never played it but I see a lot of praise for it here.
>>
File: 1467511841392.jpg (128KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1467511841392.jpg
128KB, 600x600px
>>387124806
>Why is that a bad thing?

Because standing as one solid blob flinging shit is not particularly interesting? The only things that break that flow are teleporters and those are hella rare.

>what would make it meaningful?

Things that alter the tactical picture on the larger scale. Take D:OS, for example, producing a cloud of poison gas makes for effective area denial for both sides since a) it poisons things, b) it can be exploded, c) resulting smoke obstructs vision. Things like this are incredibly rare in PoE and tend to be fuckpowerful (domination and charm, release Slicken), the majority of abilities are either buff, damage+debuff or just debuff. On enemy side the only really interesting thing is teleportation.

>but PoE has one of the most subdued spell effects in general.

Have you even played PoE? Returning Storm procs blot out everything, same with a fuckload of other fire\lightning based AoE spells. Why do you think they're adding spell opacity in PoE2?

>Except for loot

If the enemy doesn't drop uniques, loot really doesn't matter. Money isn't a problem once you clear out Raedric's Hold and most of the shit you enchant yourself.

>You mean resolving quests without fight? There aren't many, but there are those.

But that number is small as fuck and usually it's not an option for major quests. Like, all of the story-critical quests are combat-only.
>>
>>387123916
>you haven't played it
I have. The only skill that influences anything outside of combat is Charisma, which is something on the level of Skyrim, where only Speech checks are used for alternative quest resolutions. Compare this to New Vegas, PoE, AoD or Wasteland 2 and you will see that DOS is trash where character creation and advancement choices barely matter outside of combat.
>>
>>387124728
Combat is boring, skill system is completely retarded, plot lacks cohesion, NPCs aren't interesting, companions are all just generic humans (I read they added one non-human companion in a patch, but I haven't played it since then so I dunno).

The whole world feels like it's just waiting for you to arrive and start interacting with it. That's a problem most RPGs have to some extent, but it's especially noticeable in Numenera's case. You're supposed to be in this big unique world filled with weird people, but it feels like a big empty boring place where nobody has anything to do except wait for a hero to come and solve their petty problems.
>>
>>387125640
Most of the praise comes from Codex fags who shill it because of muh incline and the dev posts on the Codex. The C&C and flow of the story changing depending on how you play is very well done, but everything else is mediocre to awful. The branching story is impressively done, I just wish it was in a better game.

My biggest issue is that, because of how the game is structured, it can be easy to put yourself in a situation where you have no real choices to make because the arbitrary skill-checks can be extremely strict, so you simply aren't allowed to make the choices you want to make because they lead up to a skill check you can't possibly make unless you have built your character specifically to have a super high level in that particular skill. If you want to play a specific path you'd better grab a guide and make sure your skills are always at the right level to keep progressing.

The worst is when you're put into a combat situation as a non-combat character. Combat can be extremely punishing even if you do build your character for combat, so a non-combat character just gets slaughtered with zero chance to fight back. Of course combat is entirely avoidable, but it's not always clear which options avoid combat and sometimes you're set on a path where combat eventually becomes unavoidable and you just get fucked because you picked the wrong option four conversations ago.
>>
>>387127807
Basically, what you wanted to say is that the game is too hard for your retarded ass? OK. More modern RPGs should punish the player for building shit characters by locking down progression paths behind high skillchecks, maybe then mongoloid will actually start realizing that character generation and advancement choices are and have always been extremely important in any actual RPG.
>>
>>387128979
>a bloo bloo it's just too hard for you
Nice strawman, Codexfag.
>>
>>387127807
>C&C
The what?
>>
>>387129136
Choice & Consequence

One of the cornerstones of a good RPG.
>>
>>387129009
But I'm not the one crying that the game is too hard, bitch. I completed AoD with both combat and non-combat focused and characters and even though I was not able to pass every single skillcheck in the respective character gamepath (which is how it should be), I was never locked out of story progression, because I'm not a fucking retard who builds shit characters with no focus in anything. Casualshits like you are the reason why we don't get much of actual roleplaying in modern "RPGs" these days, where the players are freely given to make progression choices regardless of how they've made their characters, but when progression is decoupled from character building decisions, there is no longer any roleplaying, there's only a shitty CYOA game with combat.
>>
>>387118360
I still need to give underrail a solid go..
>>
While I agree that Dragonfall > HK and both are way better than Returns, I'd say Returns is worth a playthrough after you finish the other two and you want more, considering the scarcity of similar RPGs with cyberpunk setting.
>>
>>387129224
Rote trial and error isn't difficulty, Codex shill.

The problem isn't that the game is too hard, but that it hides most significant options behind arbitrarily high skill checks, and that there's no way to know what those skill checks actually are without having prior knowledge of the game.

Being forced to min-max in a game that's supposed to be all about roleplaying is garbage design and you know it. That has absolutely nothing do to with "actual roleplaying." Defending this garbage is pathetic.
>>
>>387124728

What's sjw about it?

I'm playing wasteland 2 right now (from the same guys i believe), and it's good fun. Easier to get into than other recents crpgs from what i've heard, but i can't be sure as i haven't played any others.
>>
>>387129379
>Rote trial and error isn't difficulty
There is no need to use trial and error to finish the game, you only need not be a dumbfuck. You are not supposed to pass every single skillcheck in the game with one character, mongoloid, you are supposed to build a character with some thought put into your situation. If you are particularly inept, you can even keep a pool of skillpoints you can distribute later once you encounter an insurmountable obstacle in the game, but it's not mandatory.

AoD is a great RPG, because the consequences you suffer for the decisions you make during character generation and advancement can be very severe and potentially result in a game over, which is also fine from a roleplaying POV.

> but that it hides most significant options behind arbitrarily high skill checks
Dumbfuck, there are no "arbitrary" skillchecks in the game and definitely no "arbitrarily high" ones either. Everything is logical, every single requirement in every main quest path makes sense. You are talking out of your, because you're a shitter who cannot into proper character building and RPGs in general.

>what those skill checks actually are
You're not supposed to know this, shitstain. You're supposed to build a cahracter and deal with the consequences. You've built a character that is shit and cannot progress, because you've disregarded basic logic? Too bad, shitter, good luck next time.

>Being forced to min-max
There is no need to min-max anything. As I've said, if you're particularyl retarded, you can just keep a pool of skillpoints and use them as the situation demands.
>>
>>387129840
>I have no arguments so I just repeat "YOU'RE WRONG AND ALSO STUPID" again and again

Great strategy, Codex shill. Your game is a poorly designed piece of shit, deal with it. AoD is one of the worst RPGs of recent years, so obsessed with its own awful mechanics that it doesn't leave any room for real roleplaying. It's just a big number crunching adventure where the only thing that matters is what skills you level up.
>>
Tyranny was fun
>>
>>387118360
>renaissance
>All games fail to sell
>>
>>387130203
>zll games fail to sell
>most of the games on that list sold well enough to warrant a sequel
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: AoD.png (521KB, 976x797px) Image search: [Google]
AoD.png
521KB, 976x797px
>>387130053
>I have no arguments
But I'm not you, lmao. Your only argument is: "a bloo bloo this game is bad because it doesn't tell me how to level my character and I'm too retarded to comprehend that character progression that does not fit the situation has negative consequences in an actual RPG".

>Your game is a poorly designed piece of shit
More like your opinion is an irrelevant piece of shit, deal with it.

>so obsessed with its own awful mechanics
>a RPG is bad because it actually forces consequences on your ass for shitty character building
LMAO, you're one of the more retarded dumbfucks I've seen here.
>>
>>387118360
where's lords of xulima and serpent in stagland?
>>
>>387130348
>roleplaying means leveling your stats just right
Either you're literally retarded or you're just another unfortunate victim of D&D-brand rollplaying.
>>
File: 515.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
515.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>387130203
>fail to sell

Oh, so that is why Wasteland 2, Divinity, Pillars of Eternity are getting full sequels and Underrail is getting an expansion.
>>
>>387130348
What is the proper way to make and level a character in the game? Not the guy you're arguing with, haven't played the game and want to know the correct way to make a character going in to avoid dead ends and shit.
>>
>>387129840
>>387130348
>you don't need to min-max
>literally every argument you have is "lol you just built your character wrong!"

So which is it? Is it a role-playing game where the game reacts to how you build and play your character, or is a a trial-and-error game where you need to have the right character build to progress?
>>
File: angrydonald.jpg (13KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
angrydonald.jpg
13KB, 639x480px
>played PST
>every companion had GOAT writing, especially Morte and Dak'kon
>play Torment
>only interesting character was Erritis
>>
>>387124728

Aside from some plot details, mediocre combat and being relatively short I had an absolute fucking blast with Torment. It really does feel like it's made with the PST spirit.

It doesn't deserve to be on the very bottom of the list, especially when compared to goddamn Tyranny which had a billion and one problems.
>>
>>387124463
don't forget homogenized stat system that robs you of any feeling of actually influencing your character via his stats
>>
What is a CRPG?
>>
>>387119886
>had to use a cheat engine
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>387130834
computer role playing game

Pretty much RPGs that you cant play with a controller
>>
I didn't like Pillars enough to justify buying an expansion for it, is it really better than base game? I also really liked Tyranny. It's biggest flaw was how short the game was but I had a blast playing it.

Div:OS should be its own tier. It's one of the best games I've ever played.
>>
>>387130440
Roleplaying means progressing in ways that befit your character most, based on how you've built your character. Ways of progression being tied to stats is a universal gameplay mechanic used in all the "classical", genre defining RPGs: Wasteland 1, Darklands, Fallouts 1-2, Arcanum, PS:T, ToEE, VtM and other games all use these mechanics. What people like to forget, though, is that the game or the game master in PnP, for that matter, is not obligated to provide you with an unlimited number of solutions that can potentially accommodate any character build for story or other reasons. The skills required for progress should always follow basic logic and this is present in AoD, catering to retards is not mandatory.

>>387130475
>>387130475
>What is the proper way to make and level a character in the game?
Judge the situation you're in and use logic. If you're an assassin, for example, consider focusing on roguish skills like critical strike and sneak, don't focus on blocking and trading, for example. Don't level more than one weapon skill, don't mix block and dodge and don't try to build a jack of all trades. In the beginning, focus on 3 skills at first with 2 of them being non-combat and slowly level the fourth and 5-the ones. Prioritize skills that fit your character archetype and situation. If you're insecure, keep a pool of skillpoints to correct your build, should you encounter an obstacle you can't overcome. This is just common sense and the skills needed to level depend on what gamepath you want to follow.
>>
>>387131034
>Roleplaying means progressing in ways that befit your character most, based on how you've built your character.
No, that's called rollplaying.

Roleplaying means playing your character like they're an actual person. Real people don't always make the optimal decisions or develop themselves in a way that gives them the maximum future benefit.

Like I said, you're just another D&D rollplaying victim.
>>
>>387130348
Video games should give up on trying to make non-combatants a viable way to play the game. You will never have the breadth of decision making available to you in a video game that you do in a tabletop rpg.
>>
>>387131159
>No, that's called rollplaying.
You can call it whatever you want. Fact is, all of the genre defining games I've mentioned use this mechanic, your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

>Real people don't always make the optimal decisions
You don't need to make optimal decisions in AoD, you only need to make non-retarded ones, but if you DO make retarded ones, the game is going to bite your fucking ass off. That's how it should be.
>>
>>387130708
>calling that trash game Torment
>not Nu-men-era
>>
>>387131294
>all of the genre defining games I've mentioned use this mechanic
Used it, yes. Relied on it exclusively like AoD does? Hell no. AoD is 100% mechanics, 0% roleplaying. That's exactly the problem.
>>
>>387131357
>using more memes will surely improve the level of discussion

Get out.
>>
>>387131357

There was nothing SJW/cucky about that game aside from one genderless race NPC that wanted to get rid of the mole people and the faggot adventurer companion which nobody used anyway.
>>
>>387129009
>>387129379
>>387127807
>>387123639
God damn did this site personally hurt you or something?
The paranoia is real
>>
>>387128979
Trap options are objectively shitty game design.
>>
>>387119776

It's great, ignore the butthurt.
People complaining only because it forces you to make choices (and meaningful ones), and you aren't Rambo/Drizzt/Goku where you can slay everything with the power of friendship
>>
>>387131372
>AoD is 100% mechanics, 0% roleplaying.
>making your character building decisions actually matter is not roleplaying
Yeah, OK, whatever. I'm not going to argue with someone who knows nothing of the genre and spouts utter nonsense. Again, here are the facts: all of the genre defining computer RPGs lock away certain ways of progress behind character building decisions, be they stat, skill, perk or even background checks, like you have in Arcanum. AoD is no different from these games, it's just that character building choices have somewhat more drastic consequences.

Think what you want, your opinion is irrelevant to me. I've presented my argument, there is nothing more to argue about.
>>
>>387131605
The difference between AoD and Fallout is that Fallout doesn't lead the player on then troll them.
>>
>>387131605
>raising your stats is the only thing that matters in a real roleplaying game!
>I've repeated this over and over so that means I'm right!
Ok.
>>
>>387131034
>keep a pool of skillpoints to correct your build
Does the game have grinding or places to go level up if you want to improve or change some stats?
>>
>>387131818
>Does the game have grinding
The amount of skillpoints you can spend on your character is finite, so no. Character building has very serious consequences in AoD and allowing grinding would just make any decisions potentially meaningless.
>>
>>387131818
There are a few places you can go like the arena in act 2, but obviously that's not an option unless you're 100% combat focused.
>>
underrail is boring and legend of grimrock is only as good as a good game 25 years ago, which is pretty pathetic if that's the best video games can offer
>>
>>387131034
>If you're insecure, keep a pool of skillpoints to correct your build, should you encounter an obstacle you can't overcome. This is just common sense and the skills needed to level depend on what gamepath you want to follow.
Can;t overcome an obstacle? Keep your points in reserve so you can change your build and overcome it anyway.

That's literally trial and error.
>>
File: unamused bird.png (72KB, 386x297px) Image search: [Google]
unamused bird.png
72KB, 386x297px
RTWP is such a fucking garbage combat system. It is completely unacceptable that modern cRPGs still use it.
>>
>>387133016
Why is real time without pause better than real time with pause?
>>
Great Tier:
Pillars of Eternity > Underrail > Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Good Tier:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong > Legend of Grimrock 2 > Legend of Grimrock

OK Tier:
Divinity: Original Sin > Wasteland 2

Shit Tier:
Tyranny > Torment: Tides of Numenera > Shadowrun Returns > Age of Decadence

>So can we all agree that something good came from kickstarter after all?
Plenty of good came from Kickstarter
>>
>>387133067
people with low IQs can't comprehend being able to pause something at their own leisure
>>
>>387118360
>>387133135
I don't really see why /v/ keeps putting the Grimrock games so high on top RPG lists. They're more like puzzle games than RPGs.
>>
>>387133135
>Pillars of Eternity > Underrail
no
underrail destroys poe in virtually every single way possible aside from visuals
>>
>Tale of Wuxia sequel coming tomorrow
Chingchong cRPG renaissance best cRPG renaissance
>>
>>387133067
Because real time without pause, ie an action RPG, is designed completely differently from the ground up and doesn't function on the assumption that you will be pausing to issue commands to all 8 of your party members at every opportunity. It also just controls better; RTWP games tend to have sluggish control where it feels like characters are simply ignoring your commands.

But I don't think action RPGs are really good for roleplay, either, because if a game has fast paced gameplay then it is unlikely the player is going to want to slow things down to read dialogue. See every Diablo game and clone.
>>
>>387133293
I see they've taken inspiration from Borderlands for some reason.
>>
>>387122019
I got 27 hours out of Dragonfall on my first playthrough on the max difficulty and doing all side missions.
Hong Kong + expansion is 40 hours long.
>>
>>387124463
>Engagement system that makes the initial positioning overly important and rigid
There are plenty of abilities to move you around the battlefield

>lack of meaningful diversity in abilities
False
>>
>all those literal who games above AoD

Proof that /v/ is reddit.
>>
>>387129224
>but when progression is decoupled from character building decisions, there is no longer any roleplaying, there's only a shitty CYOA game with combat
Pretty sure that's still a roleplaying game.
>>
File: imitates crying sarcastically.png (197KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
imitates crying sarcastically.png
197KB, 500x281px
>>387133452
>everything I don't like is Reddit
>>
>>387118360
anyone have a tier list for old crpgs ?
>>
>>387133268
I disagree, but I'm not gonna bother arguing since I love both games.
>>
>>387118360
All of these are shit
>>
>>387133663
fallout
arcanum
baldurs gate 1-2
morrowind

no ranking
>>
>>387133452
AoD is fucking trash. You aren't impressing anyone by pretending that shit is good.
>>
>>387133016
>>387133323
I still think it's a problem of implementation.
Chief among the problems of of PoE is sticking too closely to Infinity Engine games, which were a real time implementation of turn-based system in which each player control a single PC. No wonders it works like shit.

Think if your party was composed of 5 characters and each one had only 2 activated abilities which were automatically assigned to the keyboard numbers from 1 to 0, and you had access to all abilities anytime regardless of which character you had selected.
A change like that would solve half the problems of interface, which are the core problems of RTwP.
>>
>>387133362
I'm sure it was Google Translate's idea.
>>
>>387133770
I can't get into Arcanum. The game is so clunky
>>
>>387134727
did you switch it to turn based?
>>
>>387118676
Awful forced party members instead of the good way that Returns handled it.
>>
>>387134784
Yeah. I was getting into it because of the atmosphere and dialogue but turn based combat was extremely slow. I might give it another shot soon
>>
>>387124728
/v/ doesn't actually like Planescape Torment, they just like saying they like it.
If you took the narrative heavy, just skip the combat bro approach that Torment has and applied it to any other game /v/ would blast that fucking game.
>>
>>387135183
The difference between that and 'any other game' is that PS:T only had mediocre combat mechanics and boring encounter design. It's not like Arcanum, where the combat is so fucking dire and hard to avoid that it ruins the game.
>>
>>387118360
Why is the other PoE higher than the game?
Not meming here, I just learned about it a few weeks ago and was debating getting it on my ps4 since my PC fried and I only have my laptop now. Isn't it supposed to be like Baldur's gate?
>>
>>387136090
Playing PoE with a controller sounds like a very special kind of hell. It's a RTWP game, dude. I recommend against it. Consider it only when you get a new laptop.
>>
>>387136186
Well hell. I'd heard they were working on making it a decent port like Divinity.
Guess I'll just stick it up till later
>>
>>387136090
My guess is that the top is with all the DLC and patches. The game has changed dramatically since release, not just new content but game rules as well.
>>
Tips for Expeditions: Viking?
>>
>>387138429
I'm not sure if they've patched it out but one point in throw is/was hilariously retarded. The rock is absolutely free damage and a status effect that then combos with weapon abilities that give you 50-100% extra damage.
>>
File: 1474113669810.png (331KB, 624x424px) Image search: [Google]
1474113669810.png
331KB, 624x424px
>>387126038
>playing enhanced edition
>>
>bought underrail in a humble bundle
>havent played it yet
i know that i should try it but playing cRPG feels like too much of a compromise.
does it has any replay value?
>>
Official cRPG tier list
>fun game tier
D:OS
Age of Decadence

>interesting but got boring about halfway through and dropped it tier
Grimrock
UnderRail
Pillars of Eternity
Expeditions Conquistador
Wasteland 2

>dropped after mere minutes
Shadowrun Returns
Torment
>>
>>387142868
Why should I care about the opinion of someone who doesn't even finish the games he talks about?
If I wanted to do that I'd read IGN.
>>
>>387143298
Not even wanting to bother to finish a game is a pretty good sign of its quality my friend
>>
>>387118360
I keep seeing some people on /v/ saying that PoE is going to be shit on ps4. Is that just the PC meme or something? I've also seen some people just say to wait for reviews of the port so it seems pretty conflicting. Surely they won't just make a shitty port and call it done
>>
>>387119886
Assassins creed might be more up you ally.
Now piss of you dumb cunt.
>>
>>387130982

>cant play with a controller

Why am i playing, and being awesome at wasteland 2 on ps4 then?
>>
>>387119886
Go read a book then.
The most important thing is gameplay in a game and after that comes evrything else.
>>
>>387131601
No but, honestly, the problem people have with the game is that it does not give you choices: you either play a full diplomacy/scholar character or a combat character. There is not a middleground. The combat is bland and boring, just like the writing, and there are no deep and intriguing characters leaving an impact on you.

It is an overrated game, I regret buying it.
>>
>>387146009
lol get gud kid. You can be a loremaster and win the entire arena you just have to be good
t.bombs+gold+properstats
>>
>>387146218
Post someone kicking ass in the game with a diplomacy character.

Not just one particular fight, but in general.
>>
>>387146218
Also, I got stuck in the sand temple place and could not finish the game. Why? My character was not tailored for combat so I could not beat the temple guards and I had not put points in loremaster or whatever the stat was called. Simply because I missed those two, I could not get in and it was game over.
>>
>>387141092
Yes, different builds unlock comepletely different ways to solve quests and opens new ways and closes old ones.
They also change the combat a lot.
I miss skilled my first char and then made a new and better one and even though I played the first quarter just moments ago I still had fun doing it again with a new character.

It's a perfect game for a rainy night when you want to get fully immersed and don't want loud, fast action.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.