[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LUCK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: LUCK.jpg (28KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
LUCK.jpg
28KB, 1366x768px
Are there any RPGs that implement LUCK stat properly? Like not just +crit% or gold\rare find or +status effect\damage and some other basic shit? Gambling and random encounters is probably the deepest LUCK mechanics there is, or is it?
Ideally, LUCK should affect every aspect and every dice roll in the game, but realisitcally then it would be near impossible to balance and not make it broken as fuck. My idea is make LUCK affect skill checks and\or limited use (1/2 per day?) can add modifier to any roll of player's choosing.
Say, LUCK >5 (or >10 in d&d) adds a 1/2/3/5/10% chance to succeed at failed skill check and once or twice per day can add same to failed action roll.
LUCK <5 adds the same % to fail a successful roll and once\twice per day your successful action roll fails. Up to DM to decide which one.
In d20 I'm not sure how to implement luck rolls the best - just add modifier? Sounds broken. Add extra d20+mod roll if check failed? Too much work.

How would you make LUCK an interesting stat that actually matters?
>>
You have to answer the question, what do you think luck is? Is it having results that are more consistent, or less? Is it things being more likely to turn out well? Because that's just Morrowind/Oblivion, where luck adds to nearly all skill checks at a small rate. Is it things turning out better "when it really matters?" But then when does it really matter?
>>
Morrowind.
Every single roll has your luckstat as a variable somewhere in it.
Being lucky affects everything to a small degree.
>>
morrowind my dude
>>
>>387110750
>But then when does it really matter?
Yeah that was exactly the question I was asking myself trying to figure out how would Luck work. And obvious answer was - when it's most needed. And when is most needed? When your roll failed miserably and you're about to fuck up hard.
Like I had this interaction the other day in d&d session. Basically a mage character with <10 dex and zero in acrobatics was jumping out of the window and rolled natural 20 and even though his total roll with negative mods was below needed DC, our DM decided to let him pass and he RPd it something like
>as he was jumping out of the window, he stumbled on his own robes and flipped over the window stand, made a full flip mid-air and landed perfectly on his feet

After that I thought damn there should be Luck in my games.
So basically when you don't have necessary skills you can still by some miracle pull it off, by using your luck. It was pretty neat
>>
Morrowind
>>
>>387110303
>Like not just +crit% or gold\rare find or +status effect\damage and some other basic shit?
>Gambling and random encounters is probably the deepest LUCK mechanics there is, or is it?
How is this any different than the "basic shit?" The only sensible thing for Luck to do is to increase odds.

>Say, LUCK >5 (or >10 in d&d) adds a 1/2/3/5/10% chance to succeed at failed skill check and once or twice per day can add same to failed action roll.
Nigger how is this any different than +success chance

>LUCK <5 adds the same % to fail a successful roll and once\twice per day your successful action roll fails. Up to DM to decide which one.
Video games.
>>
File: 1469513637721.png (281KB, 535x466px) Image search: [Google]
1469513637721.png
281KB, 535x466px
>>387111106
>>387111172
Oh shit you're right. It was something like that there. Cool I forgot about that

But then again we look at skyrim and yeah
>>
>>387111379
Hey buddy i think you got the wrong door, /tg/ is two blocks down
>>
>>387111472
>Nigger how is this any different than +success chance
Because it's used outside of basic mechanical actions? Show me a game that uses LUCK for skill checks in social interactions beside gambling

>Video games.
Nigger in videogames DM is the game and its code, just add a random chance of action having bad\good luck modifier
>>
>>387111578
No I'm right where I want to be because in tabletops there are ways to make this right, custom rules and shit like that. In /v/ideogames it's a very rare thing to have a compelling Luck stat.
We figured out that Morrowind did this. Why barely any other rpg does that too? It's not that hard but it would make roleplaying options so much better and more fun, no?
>>
>>387111823
No, are you autistic?
>>
>>387111823
Nothing more fun than playing an RNG shitfest.
>>
>>387112006
No, are you retarded? More small mechanics like mentioned luck stat add up to gaming experience, making it more immersive. You have to be pretty dense to argue otherwise.
>>
>>387112238
Yeah okay, I'm dense. Adding a failure chance onto everything or whatever stupid shit you're getting at here at is a great mechanic.

sage
>>
>>387112656
>>387112167
>Adding a failure chance onto everything
>LUCK >5 = win chance
>LUCK <5 = failure chance

You are dense.
>>
>>387113031
Oh, sorry, adding a failure chance onto everything unless you have exactly 5 luck

I'm not going to argue with you about the imaginary mechanics for some shit you're just making up in this shitpost of a thread.
>>
>>387110303
Fallout 2
Jinxed + 10 luck = troll run
>>
>>387113231
You can reply to the question posed in op instead of showing your lack of reading comprehension.
>How would YOU make luck an interesting stat that actually matters?
>>
>>387113407
Yeah but it's fun because of Jinxed perk. Luck stat only mitigates negative effect of your own crit failures.
But I agree with you, it's the funniest run I had in F2
>>
>>387110303
The only way to make luck true to life is to give few opportunities for it to come into play. Every hour of gameplay has maybe one opportunity for luck to happen, but if the character puts points into luck, they have a significantly higher chance of winning. If a character's luck makes them like, always crit or always dodge, that's boring and unrealistic. Look at the Master Chief. His luck is mystical and it never really happens in gameplay.
>>
>>387113431
The fuck you mean, my lack of reading comprehension? You're just spouting a few vague ideas about modifying odds using a luck stat, and you're acting like I can't read because I don't understand the ins and outs of whatever shit is in your head? How the hell is adding a complicated way to increase the odds of success any more interesting to a player than just increasing the odds of success?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.