[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Guild Wars 2 worth playing in 2017?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: gw2-logo.a9bed23d.jpg (19KB, 290x200px) Image search: [Google]
gw2-logo.a9bed23d.jpg
19KB, 290x200px
Is Guild Wars 2 worth playing in 2017?
>>
It wasn't even worth playing when it came out.
>>
>>387062126
Is any mmo worth playing in 2017?
>>
>>387062126
No. The PvP is bad and it has by far the worst PvE out of all of the popular MMOs.
>>
File: 1472411312057.jpg (17KB, 344x345px) Image search: [Google]
1472411312057.jpg
17KB, 344x345px
Why doesn't anyone just make....you know....a good mmo?
>>
no
play guild wars 1 instead
>>
It's literally free. Try it out and find out.
>>
>>387062918
You make more money by creating a skinner box and fishing for whales.
>>
File: 405.png (513KB, 1024x961px) Image search: [Google]
405.png
513KB, 1024x961px
>>387062126
>try to go back to gw2
>story is so awful it doesn't catch my attention
>try to farm to get gems and dress my character but the map that everyone farms on is behind a gem payment
>if I want an ascended item I need to farm for a whole month (if I'm lucky)

I just don't know what to do anymore
I wanted to like it, but they just hate fun
>>
Every MMO out there is just a matter of preference. That being said, I tend to enjoy GW2 a lot more than other MMOs, mostly because of the movement and the world. The action camera is also a very nice edition. I know it's objectively inferior to other MMOs, but I find it enjoyable (other than the story, fuck that). Plus I actually have friends that play it, so there's that too I suppose
>>
>>387063164
>if I want an ascended item I need to farm for a whole month

What? You can get a full ascended gear in a week if you're not a brainlet.
>>
>>387063327
back when I played you had to craft an item every day for 30 days or so
I can't remember it exactly
maybe there is another way but I dropped the game before knowing it
what's the better way?
>>
>>387062918
>mmos need lots of people to not be dead
>lots of people means they need to cater to masses
>masses dont want a good mmo they want costumes and micro transactions to feel good about themselves
>>
>>387063434
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Tanetris/So_You_Want_To_Gear_a_Character

This is a pretty decent guide for gearing up once you hit 80
>>
>>387063434
If you don't want to craft it you can get it from raids, fractals, WvW and PvP reward track, elite sepc collections, other achievements, map currency of LS3 maps, and probably some other ways too.
>>
>>387063715
>elite spec collections
>map currency of LS3
what's that?

I think map currency is some items you get after achieving some hidden points doing events in that map, am I correct?

>>387063606
>https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Tanetris/So_You_Want_To_Gear_a_Character

okay I'm taking a look at this guide, it looks like it has more info than other pages I read long ago on that wiki, thanks anon
>>
>>387064025
elite spec collections are basically scavenger hunt achievements where you have to collect a bunch of items in order to unlock a piece of gear.

all zones introduced in Living Story 3 have currencies that you gain from doing events and shit in those zones which you can use to get ascended gear. You might need to buy the living story 3 chapters to gain access to the areas, I'm not sure.
>>
File: gw019.jpg (582KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gw019.jpg
582KB, 1920x1080px
>>387062126
Also interested in that answer. I played WvWvW almost daily during the first release, played a little less in the Scarlet Xpac. Dropped off the game mainly because that aspect was dying and the arena PvP was garbo.

Last time I logged my golem hijinks had been nerfed hard due to changes to stealth. I'll log into the new xpac, test what I can do in my Omega, then probably be sad and leave.
>>
>>387064258
okay thanks anon, will take a look at that
yeah I didn't unlocked those chapters so I'll need to farm golds to get gems (I don't know what to do since the event in that city with 4 gates is now empty)
here we go
>>
>>387062126

I dislike the game but the maps, especially the expac ones, are fun to explore once. Same with the jumping puzzles.
>>
>>387064690
Get ascended trinkets first. Buy amulet with laurels, rings with fractal relics (You can do tier 1 fractals without ascended). Backpack and accessories by farming LW3 maps. Armor and weapon are a bit harder if you are crafting for the first time. Elite spec. collections might help but eventually you have to craft some pieces yourself.
>>
>>387065140
>Get ascended trinkets first. Buy amulet with laurels
I did this long ago
I just wanted some backpieces and weapons just for the looks
I have weaponsmith at 4xx or so so I'll just gonna level it a little more
superthanks anon
>>
File: das it mane.png (454KB, 414x499px) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.png
454KB, 414x499px
GW2 is absolute trash.

>tank'n'spank dungeons
>OHK moves on bosses
>grinding out the ass
>temporary content
>status effects that last over 30 fucking seconds
>huge cooldowns on skills
>shit main quest

As a GW player of 6 years, there was no greater disappointment than playing GW2 for the first time.

GW will always be my #1 game of all time, though.

>tfw finally got the original Factions CE map to frame and hang on my wall alongside the NF and EotN maps
>>
I played the demo for the new one and it was boring as fuck.
>>
>>387062126
Im enjoying it, but im not going deep into it.
I got ESO for PvP which is the same thing but better.

What i realy like about GW2 is the weird ideas like underwater combat and failure states.

I actually missed that in MMOs, quests you can fail. Thats what makes the questing part of GW2 actually fun for me. In other MMOs i just try to get to the lategame and do dungeons and PvP, in GW2 im fine with just fucking around
>>
>>387065778
I hate gw2 and love gw1 too, but you described every modern mmo, because wow for example is like that too

>>387066892
I tried to enjoy TESO but it's fucking boring for me
>>
File: wakarimasen_face.jpg (64KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
wakarimasen_face.jpg
64KB, 554x439px
>>387062918
Define good MMO. What devs and apparently people still don't get is that "MMO" aka massive multiplayer online has lost its appeal as the main hook for he genre. Online play has ubiquitous and doesn't fascinate people anymore like it did 10+ years ago. Now MMOs actually have to be good GAMES.
>>
>>387067284
ESOs questing is too easy, thats the main issue with it realy.
They make an effort in storytelling but if you are not completley stupid youll never be challenged by them, also leveling takes a while.

It still has the best PvP out of any current MMOs id say.
>>
>>387065778
How to spot someone who never played since launch.
>>
>>387067485
I think datamining has killed MMOs.
Now every single slightest aspect of every MMO is full documented and leaked as soon as it's introduced, it doesn't leave any mystery for the end user.
The earth was probably a fuckload more fun to explore before it was fully mapped.
>>
>>387062207
XIV
>>
>gw2 doesn't recognize my graphic drivers now
>doesn't even work with previous drivers
thanks anet
>>
>>387067878
datamining has had a negative effect to the same degree wikis and guides have become the norm. nowadays you're not really expected to learn a dungeon, for example, you're expected to have a read guide/watched a run first before attempting one yourself which is utterly ridiculous to me.
>>
>>387067878
Datamining is a symptom, not the actual problem. MMO's are completely non-reactive to player input, which means they have no staying power beyond what they can get from adding skinner boxes and the like.
>>
>>387067867

I played it on and off for almost 2 years, stopped after that aetherblade invasion or whatever. It did NOT improve in that time.

Anet really fucked over the old players by adding the core game to HoT, which was twice as cheap. That fact alone made sure I'd never go back.
>>
>>387067983
XIV has nothing going for it.
>>
>>387068136
So maybe it's in a gray area right now.
Modern tech and hacking knowledge has gotten good enough to spoil every game rotten, but not good enough to make them fun to play.
I guess the best option is to wait it out until we get into some crazy VR hologram shit and let the cycle repeat itself.
>>
File: 1501695496312.jpg (76KB, 606x453px) Image search: [Google]
1501695496312.jpg
76KB, 606x453px
is the braham heavy set not available anymore? wtf?
>>
>>387069246
Yes, good goy, buy more gems to purchase our lazily thrown together costumes. We need the money to continue developing more costumes for you to buy.
>>
>>387062126
More now than ever. It just keeps getting better with every passing year.
>>
>>387065778
>>tank'n'spank dungeons
Not since 2012.
>>OHK moves on bosses
Do you have parkinsons? Do you have trouble putting gear in the gear slots?
>>grinding out the ass
What is an MMO?
>>temporary content
Not since 2012.
>>status effects that last over 30 fucking seconds
What is status effect removal?
>>huge cooldowns on skills
Nothing compared to all the time you lose with global cooldowns in other MMOs.
>>shit main quest
Yeah, it's garbo.
>>
>>387069246
They cycle the costumes in and out of the gem store for whatever reason.
>>
>>387062126
No. It was good for its first 6-12 months and then it became shit.

Everyone should TRY it, just to see how good MMOs can be if they evolve beyond the WoW style. But the devs have run the game into the dirt since then.

Really, playing the human starting experience through the Shadow Behemoth should show you everything worth seeing about the game.

The vistas. The jumping puzzles. The events. The NPCs. The flavor littered around. The enemies and skill challenges.

Be sure to take in the view now and then. It's the best part.
>>
>>387062126
daily reminder that OP is a bot
>>
>>387070294
>temporary content
>Not since 2012.
Not that guy but you're wrong.
Flame and Frost alone was 2013, and the last temporary map was the bazaar, which was last seen around 2014.
Super Adventure Box is pretty temporary, too, since it comes down to whether the devs want to put it out during April's Fools or not.
>>
>>387071378
I'll be honest, I didn't play much GW2 until Season 2 started, so I'm not very knowledgeable on the first year or so.
>>
>>387062126
>Literally wow with slight changes to questing

>SOMEHOW THE MOST DIFFERENT MMO IN YEARS

No, guild wars 1 changed more and was far better for it.
>>
How do I make gold in this game at a decent pace? The gold to gem conversion rate almost tripled or so since I last played.
>>
>>387072110
Lake Doric leather farm. It's tedious and boring, but it's pretty much as fast as it gets.
>>
>>387072229
>It's tedious and boring
much like the rest of the game
>>
>>387072339
Epic joke there anon.
>>
>>387068494
That was still the first year wasnt it?
>>
>>387071378
They stopped doing temporary content outside of holiday events, and holiday events are common in every single MMO.

The temp content was met with such negativity they stopped doing it for story stuff.

We get it, you didnt like the game and havent tried it in years. Stop bitching about stuff that hasn't been true to the game for the majority of its lifetimes.
>>
>>387068494
I know, the damn devs. They should do like every other MMO dev does and continue having the vanilla games and their expansions cost the original base price even years later.
>>
>>387072229

Thanks. Just joined a squad for it. Let's see how mind-numbing it is.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.