[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your stance on emulation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: RetroArch.png (117KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch.png
117KB, 960x720px
What's your stance on emulation?
>>
>>387047563
Fun things are fun.
>>
File: RetroArch2.png (892KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch2.png
892KB, 960x720px
>>387047563
By the way which one is better?
>>
Love it, do it all the time.
>>
>>387047563
If you can enjoy playing while compromising a bit of small errors here and there and not being a sperg about it, then I have to it's one of the best things about having a PC
>>
I like it. Also I can't play JRPGs anymore on a console. I need that speedhack to make things less tedious. Been playing Dragon Quest 8 and holy shit is it slow on normal speed.
>>
>>387047709
The former, of course. Models being so much higher resolution than everything else looks like dogshit. Just throw a sensible scanline shader over it to soften the general roughness of native res and you're good.
>>
>>387047709
I don't remember how FFIX looked on the original hardware but isn't this one a much more accurate rendition since the characters are 3D?
>>
>>387047709
This one obviously.
>>
I'm fine with it. I don't normally emulate because I still have working consoles and still have a weird autistic need to have physical copies of things, but I'm always down for more people playing games.

I do dislike the smugness some emulatorfags have about it though, but that's more or less expected here.
>>
Doesn't work well for a few games, works great for most.
I've had pcxs2 and dolphin for what feels like a decade
>>
>>387047709

I prefer the sharper models but some people don't like the high res models on the low res backgrounds because they "pop" too much. I don't have that problem, I just appreciate seeing the models as they were rendered rather than as they were squeezed out on my PS1.

On that note, how is the PC port of FFIX? I was thinking about picking it IP but both FFVII and FFVIII were janky ports at best, with VIII getting really fucking shafted.
>>
>>387047974
Who can blame them though? Even I'm still surprised that I was able to play botw and enjoying it
>>
>>387048041
>On that note, how is the PC port of FFIX?

Well, it's definitely an improvement over the abysmal VII and VIII ports, but still it's a mobile port, emulation looks and plays better if you don't mind the disc switch.
>>
terrible. you should only play games legally, to pad the pockets of scalpers and companies that think decades old games are worth $5+ a pop and try to sell you ROMs.
>>
Speaking of emulation, can anybody tell me why everybody praises Higan so much? I tried and honestly couldn't notice any differences compared to Snes9X aside from the fact my CPU usage went from 20% to 50%.
>>
>>387048264
No idea. Tried it last week to run some games and all ran at 50fps with shit audio. Then booted up BSNES and they all ran fine with no problems.
>>
>>387048205
>and companies that think decades old games are worth $5+ a pop and try to sell you ROMs

I like emulation but I don't see the problem with this, the property is still theirs and they're free to sell it to whoever they want for how much they want.
>>
>>387048327
bsnes and Higan are the same thing though, maybe you're talknig about bsnes-mercury?
>>
>>387047563
>>387047709
PS4 RELEASE WHEN? FF VII made it, so why not IX?
>>
>>387048418
All I know is the program called higan ran game much worse than the program called bsnes.
>>
>>387048148

Does it have true analog and rumble? That's part of what killed the VIII port for me, along with the music not being fixed.

No rumble during Renzokuken is a crime.

I haven't doesn't PS1 emulation. Is it difficult? I usually can't be arsed when you have to find the BIOS and shit but I've been itching to replay FFVIII and after seeing it on PC, I don't wanna go back to not being able to make out faces and stuff.
>>
It let me play Suikoden 2 since I couldn't find a physical copy anywhere.

Therefore it is great.
>>
>>387048567
>I usually can't be arsed when you have to find the BIOS and shit
It's as easy as googling "ps1 bios"
>>
>>387048341
that's true, but it's overpriced. Mega man anniversary collection was like $30 and had nearly every classic mega man game and bonuses. Mean while Nintendo charges $5 for a NES ROM, and would charge $10 for Mega Man 8 (don't know how much SNES games are). Capcom fucked up the legacy collections too, they split it up into 2 games that manage to have even less than the anniversary collection.

Basically, compilations that also have bonus feature stuff are ok, overpriced single games are not.
>>
>>387047563
FFIX HD would be fucking perfect if they could just bring back the classic text
>>
>>387048567
>Is it difficult?

No. At most all you need to do is find a BIOS and make sure you are using the same BIOS as the game's version (aka USA for NTSC games and EU for PAL)

Some emulators require you to download plugins too but you check out the /vg/ emulation thread, it has a pretty good wiki in it.
>>
>>387048567
>Does it have true analog and rumble?
No idea.

>I haven't doesn't PS1 emulation. Is it difficult?
Kinda, I mean the best PS1 emulator (Mednafen) doesn't have a GUI so it might be confusing at first but once you get the hang of it isn't too hard, there's also frontends for the emulator. Regarding the bios it's literally just downloading a file and putting it inside a folder.
>>
>>387048041
FFIX Steam is the definitive port of the game, ignore anyone who says otherwise
>>
>>387048691

Yeah. I've done it for Dreamcast before. Maybe I'll give it a go.

I really miss VIII and I'm still mad that they botched the Steam port. They kind of fixed the VII port then released an even more enhanced version for PS4 without patching the PC release.

Square is still really behind the curve with PC ports, even among Japanese devs.
>>
Can you emulate ps1 on 3ds?
>>
>>387048795
>the best PS1 emulator (Mednafen)

How can Mednafen be the best PS1 emulator when ePSXe exists?
>>
there is no reason not to play games on emulator
frame skip, anywhere save, HD graphics, hack roms,
>>
>>387048840
>high-res 3D models on low-res 2D
>>
>>387049690
The backgrounds still held up imo when I played it on PC. They're blurry but I prefer to view that as an aesthetic thing, like the backdrops are painted or something.

It would be nice if Square had given Silicon Studios Thailand more original assets, like the font and backgrounds, but in exchange for actual character expressions, the removal of jagged curving, and crystal clear FMVs + a speedup button, I couldn't possibly complain
>>
File: Roms.png (167KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Roms.png
167KB, 1920x1080px
>>387047563
I like it
>>
>>387050391
How often do you feel like you have nothing to play?
>>
File: roms.png (65KB, 1079x611px) Image search: [Google]
roms.png
65KB, 1079x611px
>>387050391
awful organization
>>
>>387048795
Mednafen is a fucking meme with how much people on here parrot how good it is yet it has issues just like all the others.
Only good fucking emulator is the Dolphin because damn near everything works on it.
>>
>>387050668
>yet it has issues just like all the others

like what?
>>
>finally set up Retroarch properly
>emulate everything using a single steam controller
>im finally getting used to the steam controller's dpad
>playing through super metroid atm

Also
>dont ever have to deal with ps1 emulators with dogshit interfaces ever again

I also replaced all my roms with no intro dumps.

If you guys havent tried it, you should.
>>
>>387047563
>>387047709
The former looks better, but I also recommend a scanline filter. The second one isn't too bad but that texture filter is really smeary.

>>387047878
It's not that the characters are 2D in the first one, it's just rendering internally at the PS1s native 240p. When the models are condensed into such a small size, they end up looking like shitty 2D sprites. A scanline filter or another type of filter/shader often smooths this out and makes it look a bit better (although still low-res, see my screenshot).

>>387050668
Jesus christ you people are more ignorant of emulation than /r/games.

>>387049293
Mednafen is more accurate and multiplatform.
>>
>>387051054
>I also replaced all my roms with no intro dumps

While you're at it you should replace all your disc images for redumps.
>>
>>387050724
Certain games dont work or will not play on Mednafen or they have bugs.
Sadly its not 1:1 yet but given time maybe it will be 1:1.
Had issues running Sega Saturn games on it which is a shame because Saturn is the only emulator I want now for games.
Yabause has shit compability and doesnt work with ds4 controllers.
Mednafen has compability issues but not as bad as Yabause but still the issues can fuck you over, also it is a hassle to play a game because it has no GUI.
Then you have SSF which is dead and probably worse than Mednafen in user friendlyness and it probably has the worst list of compability between then others.
>>
>>387051336
Nobody is talking about Saturn though, we're talking about PS1 emulation and Mednafen works with every single PS1 game, it's even more accurate than the Sony official emulator the PS3/PS4 uses.
>>
File: 1493182215186.jpg (29KB, 152x201px) Image search: [Google]
1493182215186.jpg
29KB, 152x201px
>>387047563
Emulation is important to the archival of old videogames. If you don't support it, you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>387051232
man it's crazy how much a scanline filter adds to FFVII. that's the comfiest game ever to try and emulate an average friday night in the late 90s
>>
>>387047563
Literaly theft.
>>
>>387048264
Higan is almost perfect from an emulation perspective. Snex9X is not. However, unless you are playing really obscure games or are a complete autist the difference is negligible
>>
File: 1493131122798.jpg (131KB, 816x404px) Image search: [Google]
1493131122798.jpg
131KB, 816x404px
>>387049042
>>
>>387052814
Scanline filters are a must for fifth gen/retro 3D systems imo.

Run it at native res + add a scanline filter. It smooths out the lowres 2D elements, makes 2D and 3D blend perfectly together, and makes the lowres 3D models more bearable.
>>
>>387047563
Only autistic Nintendo fanboys consider it a bad thing, and I am not one of them.
>>
>>387053264
You should turn the contrast up a bit, or maybe my CRT was just oversaturated
>>
>>387047563
Has anyone tried FF IX on android? How does it run?
>>
>>387050460
Never? Just playing fighting games though

>>387050594
Nice
>>
>>387049293
"Best" being the most accurate here.
Not the most userfriendly.

Personally, I deem every emulator that employs plugins user hostile bullshit.
>>
>>387050125
Also you can dissable random battles.
>>
>>387054483
Yeah, no more needing to get Virus at the start of the game either (which was a cool little inclusion of low-lvl run option despite being made obsolete)
>>
>>387047563
How would you like it if someone pirated your dick?
>>
>>387054842
My dick is freeware but not a single person has downloaded it yet
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.