[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this franchise have such high critical acclaim? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11

File: BorderlandsBoxArt.jpg (302KB, 567x720px) Image search: [Google]
BorderlandsBoxArt.jpg
302KB, 567x720px
Why does this franchise have such high critical acclaim?

I've played it for 7 hours now and I can't take it anymore because it's one of the most shallow and repetitive first person shooters I've ever played. And the worst of all I've bought all of them because it was cheap on sale, what a waste of money.
>>
Borderlands doesn't deserve its positive reception. I enjoyed the first one and would give it like a 6 although it's not worth playing in any way. The second game managed to be even worse, it was literal garbage. I felt disgusted while playing it and permanently deleted it off my steam library.
>>
>>387041704
Jeez anon, tell us how you really feel...
>>
People play it for the gamble feeling whenever they open a chest
>>
>>387041145
It's way too badass for casual players
>>
File: 1502521995801.jpg (191KB, 852x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1502521995801.jpg
191KB, 852x1041px
2 was really good imo, the others were pretty shit. Its a great game to play co op with a friend otherwise yea it can be pretty shit
>>
>>387041145
it's meant for party play. sorry you're a loner
>>
>>387041145

I had plenty of fun setting people on fire and trying out all the random unique guns and shit, but it's much more fun with a friend.

Maybe try a different character?
>>
There aren't even that many gun variations.
>>
>>387044108
Not OP but I played it with 3 friends and we all quit within hours because we were bored.
>>
>>387044036
>BL2 really good
>BL1 shit
I think you mixed up the numbers there, buddy
>>
>>387044036
Rainbow hair detected
>>
I found the second game bearable by turning off the voices and subtitles
>>
File: 1458959941901.gif (2MB, 350x189px) Image search: [Google]
1458959941901.gif
2MB, 350x189px
Much more fun with friends, but even then you really gotta have a taste for it. After a while all those skags and fetch quests get really irritating.
At least it had a better loot generator and tone than BL2.
BL1 was a diamond in the rough that, instead of being polished was shit on by Burch and the collective Gearbox higher-ups
>>
>>387041145
1 is a solid 8/10. really fun game. go for mordekai with sniper and revolvers that was really fun for me. shotguns are alright too

haven't played the rest
>>
>people are going to say 2 is bad because MUH MEMES

Kill yourself
>>
>>387047689
>game tries to focus on story even though gearbox is shit at writing
>even more guns than in BL1 are useless and even good weapons become underpowered much faster
>vendors are useless when it comes to equipment
>skags are almost non-existent
>hope you liked your previous characters because we made them weak, whiny bitches with other VAs
>grinding for legendary weapons is even more tedious
>need to pay for max. levels via DLC
>endgame balance gets fucked up in the process
I'd post the pic, where you see how player and enemy health/damage scale over the course of the game, but unfortunately I don't have it
>Claptrap(s) reduced to the most annoying thing on the planet (Flanderization at its best)

Keep telling yourself that BL2 is only bad because of its meme humor
>>
Nah, 1 and 2 are great games with a few flaws here and there. Sorry you don't enjoy them, maybe try again another time.

What kind of shooters DO you like?
>>
>>387041145
Its a shoot n loot, like an ARPG only an fps as well. its not suppose to be deep.
Just some mediocre fun thats better with firends.
Fallout 4 is also a shoot n loot.
>>
File: 1416741179805.png (59KB, 523x478px) Image search: [Google]
1416741179805.png
59KB, 523x478px
>>387047689
>he actually defends memelands 2
Fuck off Burch
>>
>>387044036
BL2 is like BL1 if you took everything fun out of it and shat all over it. Fuck you
>>
File: bl2.png (14KB, 770x410px) Image search: [Google]
bl2.png
14KB, 770x410px
>>387048272
>I'd post the pic, where you see how player and enemy health/damage scale over the course of the game, but unfortunately I don't have it
>>
>>387048659
Thanks, anon
>>
File: 1500309772961.jpg (64KB, 700x608px) Image search: [Google]
1500309772961.jpg
64KB, 700x608px
>>387041145
Borderlands 2 is the best bordelands, borderlands 1 had shit setting, boring and repetitive missions, enemies which were either too easy or over powered, bosses and npcs intros were shit and the guns were all similar with minor differences from each manufacturer, the skill tree was shit with skills which were obviously better than other, and the special character abilities were shit and useless, people who say that bl1 is better than bl2 say so due to nostalgia
>>
>>387041145
For a shoot-n-loot, I thought it was decent.
>>
>>387049013
Nah, BL2 ruined things with its worse guns badass rank boring quests and roster that was actually bad.

It does have nice environments and bosses though
>>
>>387049013
Borderlands 2 then added an immense amount of problems that the first game didn't have. There is not one over the other here, they both do some things well and some things awfully. Which is why for 3 to be good it has to take the good from each while learning from their mistakes in game design.
Hopefully it doesn't go anywhere remotely in the direction TPS went though.
>>
File: 350px-MP2_Donkey_Kong.png (153KB, 350x287px) Image search: [Google]
350px-MP2_Donkey_Kong.png
153KB, 350x287px
I feel like I'm the only one that had more fun the the pre sequel than 2.
I like 1 the most but fuck 2 was boring, at least in pre we finally go cryo and fire wasnt the go to for damage in most situations.
Also the vehicles were more fun

I remember reading that the people who made BL2 tried real hard to balance the game before and after release, meanwhile 2K aussie said fuck it and just made what they wanted to because it was fun.
>>
>>387044036
I agree. Just finished BL1 and TPS (after playing BL2), and they just feel empty
>>
>>387041145
Borderlands caters to people who want to simultaneously play an FPS and an MMORPG populated only by a few people, which is kind of a niche. The older games are harder to take since other things have done what they did better, if you're going to get into the series fresh then you should probably start with the pre-sequel.
>>
Because nobody does it as well
>>
>>387049013
>borderlands 1 had shit setting
Totally subjective. I liked the dusty hellhole that Pandora once was and hated the variety (especially every map with ice in it) in BL2
>repetitive missions
You kill people and collect stuff. How is this different from the missions you do in BL2?
>enemies which were either too easy or over powered
BL2 is in not a good place to search for balance. See >>387048659
>bosses and npcs introes were shit
What about them? That they have no booming audio? That characters don't scream their "hilarious" lines?
>guns were all similar with minor differences from each manufacturer
Have you played BL1 recently? You really want to tell me that you can't tell the difference between e.g. a Jacobs, S&S munition and Vladof sniper rifle?
>the skill tree was shit with skills which were obviously better than other
How does that differ from BL2?
>special character abilities were shit and useless
Kinda agree with you on that one. Never really used them myself
>people who say that bl1 is better than bl2 say so due to nostalgia
Of course, anon, because I feel nostalgia for a game, which I played for the first time two years ago
>>
>>387041145
Its a fun game. You didnt like it big fucking deal. I like space games but didnt like the x-2 series. Big deal. Grow up
>>
>>387049686
Presequel is quite literally the worst in the series and the worst place to start. Different (bad) mechanics, less (and worse) content, irredeemably bad writing (Burch on steroids tier), worse shooting, no endgame content, and usually less players now too.
The play order goes:
Borderlands 2 + DLCs > Borderlands 1 + DLCs (I liked the dlc for 1 more than 2) > Tales From the Borderlands > Pre-Sequel + DLC
>>
>>387044447
You all sound like very boring people.
>>
File: Big dumb siren.png (433KB, 982x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Big dumb siren.png
433KB, 982x1080px
>>387050224
>But Anon, what about *MY* opinions?
>>
>>387044447
Then you went back to PUBG right?
>>
>>387050591
Too bad you're the only one to disagree with me, sweetie.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (23KB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
23KB, 266x200px
>>387050658
Nah you for got me
>>387049564

I think BL2 is the worst and 1 is the best.
>>
>>387041145
BL1 actually had a deep weapon system, a rewarding loot system and cool map design. It's also fun to play with friends.

BL2 and TPS are the exact contrary and deserve to be shat on.
>>
File: Smug Lina.gif (438KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Lina.gif
438KB, 300x227px
>>387050658
>>
>>387041145

The best thing the Borderlands series can do at this point is completely retcon 2 and 2.5 and go back to the first game.
>>
>>387050885
I think 1 is the best too for many actual reasons, but 1 may feel too slow in pacing for your average post-2011 numale "gamer" here on /v/eddit.

But thinking 2 is worse than TPS just because you enjoy the one or two thing TPS did moderately well on is just being contrary for the sake of it.
>>
>>387051079
Agreed, but with with the flop of Battleborn you can be sure Gearbox isn't going to take any risk and will cash on BL2's formula which sold very well.
>>
>>387051304
>But thinking 2 is worse than TPS just because you enjoy the one or two thing TPS did moderately well on is just being contrary for the sake of it.
Wrong.
I have BL2 and all the DLC, did it all. It was only fun for a single play through. I did multiple characters on 1 because it didnt drag on for fucking ever like 2 does.

The weapons are actually worse in 2 than tps and 1, and so are the elements. With out DLC BL2 is pretty awful, at least I can enjoy tps without DLC though and have done 2 characters and want to do another eventually, something 2 never once did for me. Maybe because most of the classes are actually bad or just not fun.

TPS and 2 both have awful NG+ though and 1 still has the best DLC.
I also think badass rank is stupid
>>
File: 289938_v1.jpg (238KB, 461x600px) Image search: [Google]
289938_v1.jpg
238KB, 461x600px
>>387051689
Oh and one last thing.

The actually made the all currencys worth something in tps, something they couldnt manage after how many DLC for 2?
>>
I actually liked BL2. Pre-sequel started shit but got better towards the end. Short as fuck though. Borderlands 1 was kinda average.
>>
>>387041145
>BL1
Best game with great atmosphere, guns, story/characters. You have to read the quests you get, they don't just tell you everything too. One of my favorite games with amazing dlc.
>BL2
Still a good game but weapons get useless way to fast and enemies get fucking retarded bullet sponges at max levels. Great main dlcs and gun game still though.
>TPS
Ok game, the writing is dogshit but has some fun, new mechanics like 0g, lasers, cryo, and interesting story. Still has bl2 weapon/enemy problems but not as bad. Grinder helps with getting good weapons and making every weapon somewhat useful. Vending machines fixed somewhat. Steps in right direction.

If you can't get immersed into the world then yea it will be boring as fuck for you. If you enjoy post-apocalyptic alien wastelands and don't mind reading quest logs then BL1 is great. If you can stand over the top goofiness/memes and like fast paced, colorful gameplay with a not so great story then BL2. TPS I can't really recommend unless you're a big fan of the series and want more info on events in between the games.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.