[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starbound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: starbound.jpg (65KB, 545x250px) Image search: [Google]
starbound.jpg
65KB, 545x250px
Is this game really that bad? I'm thinking about picking it up.
>>
nah it is great
had a lot of fun with it
of course terraria is better, but i still really enjoyed this game for some different reasons
>building is better
>weapon system is different, i like it nearly as much as terraria's weapon system
>better lore
>exploring different planets in space is great
>has a lot of unique items/mechanics that gives the game its own charm to set it apart from terraria
>>
>>387022440
Is the story really forced on you or can you play it like a complete sandbox?
>>
>>387022542
story is forced on you
you can skip the intro, but you still have to do story stuff to be able to visit certain types of planets and get better gear
>>
>>387022681
Damn that sucks, is it like a "you're the chosen one" kind of scenario?
>>
>>387022291
It was gutted in Early Access.
>>
>>387022681
Technically not true.

All planets and crafting shit is independent of the story, save for the first mission, which is required.

The main story unlocks a bunch of important shit, though, like signs, certain vendors, and the endgame vaults (which by extension unlock weapon upgrades and terraforming).
>>
>>387022942
> EA game has no content
> game launches
> game is now "gutted" even though it had no content in the first place
>>
>>387023139
>temp system
>completely gone
>universe sectors
>completely gone
>racial weapons abilities
>completely gone
>lore and story that is more than "chosen one saves the world also the races are so quirky xd"
>completely gone and by extension a lot of dungeons and items pertaining to the lore are removed as well
>>
>>387022291
The fun only lasts when dicking around with others
Mine stuff to get the next equipment piece to survive on the next planet to mine more stuff
Mech stuff had me excited until I realized it was just as hollow
Doesn't matter how fast your mech is, it's not outrunning or coldsteeling anything in space. Enemy speed equals your speed plus some.
Anyone new to the game probably won't notice, but over time the "matter manipulator" has felt more and more like someone's pet project that they just love and can't help but wedge it into everything. Thankfully mining stone and cutting trees early on with it have had their times cut.
Player mobility has taken a huge hit over time. End game armor basically boils down to "just go with the melee one because you're going to get hit anyway"
Building things can be neat. Furnishing the last ship is a project.
Instruments are a nice little novelty. http://www.lotro-abc.com/ if you want more songs
>>
File: 1496959393067.jpg (13KB, 250x239px) Image search: [Google]
1496959393067.jpg
13KB, 250x239px
>>387023251
Wait a second, you can't freeze on icy planets anymore? I remeber dying like that when I played in 2013
>>
>>387023508
The EPP system is still there, but there was a secondary temperature that you would need to manage by wearing warm clothes and sticking by campfires and the like.

Of course like most shit in EA it wasn't really that good but it was potential for a more complex game, and instead of refining it Chucklefuck would simply get rid of it.
>>
i don't like how impersistent it is compared to terraria. you plunge one world after another without any reason to stay on any planet
>>
It's worse than bad - it's bland and boring.

With bad video games, or movies, or even music, it can suck but there's some enjoyment to be found in how incompetent or hilariously poor quality something is.

With Starbound, that has decent ideas and functional gameplay, it just gets so bland and dull that it's not bad enough to be good, and not good enough to be fun.

It's decent. But like a 5/10. Shame, because "Terraria in space with infinate worlds" sounds amazing.
>>
its a fun game that we all know could have been so, SO much better than the end result left it.
If you have friends that have it, pick it up.
>>
>>387022785
He's lying, you can visit planets without doing story stuff.
You just need to get better resources to improve stuff which has nothing to do with the story.
>>
File: 1496476427288.png (128KB, 342x409px) Image search: [Google]
1496476427288.png
128KB, 342x409px
>terraria combat
>plenty of mobility tools/jetpacks/hooks/boots/etc
>high speed and fun
>lots of verticality and jumping
>melee becomes more or less obsolete by midgame, except for yoyos which are great

>starbound combat
>limited options to increase your mobility, use up same energy you use for ranged weapons/special attacks
>slow speed
>mostly consists of walking backwards unless you have weapons with high knockback, then it's just standing still
>melee is the only real viable weaponry, ranged is pathetically weak all the way to and throughout the endgame
>boring as fuck
>tfw no mods to fix it
>>
>>387022291
>Is this game really that bad? I'm thinking about picking it up.
no don't
no don't
no don't
no don't
no don't
no don't
no don't
no don't
no don't
no don't
cking it up.
no don't

I hope warned you sufficiently.
>>
>>387022291
It's better than Terraria, but it's exploration focused rather than LE EPIC RAID BOSSES AND GRINDING

If you have ADHD, Starbound will not please you.
>>
>>387024595
You could be OCD and won't find any pleasure in Starbound.
>>
>>387024643
This
>>
>>387022291
It's a good time waster, if you want fun then no
>>
>>387024643
Couldn't say for that, I don't have any mental illnesses. For neurotypicals Starbound is the superior game, that much I can say.
>>
>>387023251
> universe sectors
> push a button on a navigator
> access a rerolled universe with all the same shit in a higher difficulty and literally nothing new

OH, THE HUMANITY
>>
>>387024831
Yeah, it wasn't much, but it could've been improved instead of just completely removed. Isn't that the entire point of early access?
>>
File: 1500807461001.jpg (208KB, 510x624px) Image search: [Google]
1500807461001.jpg
208KB, 510x624px
Building a base with your own colony or just exploring is pretty fun desu
>>
>>387022440
>building is better
More decoration items, but that's about it
>weapon system is different, i like it nearly as much as terraria's weapon system
90% of weapons are random generated garbage
>better lore
Fanfic tier cliche garbage, much of which doesn't make sense, but doesn't matter because it doesn't have anything to do with the game anyway
>exploring different planets in space is great
Terraria's different biomes with a loading screen between them
>has a lot of unique items/mechanics that gives the game its own charm to set it apart from terraria
Pretty much everything in Starbound is from Terraria so don't know what you'd even consider unique.
>>
File: .png (184KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
.png
184KB, 500x500px
Any mods worth a damn? I hear a lot about Frackin universe but I'm hesitant about huge mods like that.
>>
File: 1497698294457.gif (2MB, 200x160px) Image search: [Google]
1497698294457.gif
2MB, 200x160px
seeing these threads with anons posting the reasons why they don't like it breaks my hearth

it's disappointing to me as well, I was super mega hyped for this game. "omg terraria in space"
Too bad the devs are fucking insufferable retards that fucked the game

They removed the nice things and worked on useless stuff (or stuff that could've added later as less important updates)

The game looks good at first but it's extremely monotonous after the first two hours and you realize the planets are fucking empty (which makes sense, but doesn't feel right in starbound)

Usually progressing in these games means repeating the same task in different places. In starbound it just doesn't feel right.
>>
File: 1454537667508.png (22KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
1454537667508.png
22KB, 300x188px
>>387024496
Does Starbound even have any overhaul mods. Outside of Frackin' Universe, I can't think of anything that adds significant changes or content to the game.

Using guns is especially awful.
>>
File: 1498602310211.png (144KB, 1356x386px) Image search: [Google]
1498602310211.png
144KB, 1356x386px
>>387022291
If you've enjoyed Terraria then you'll manage to squeeze some enjoyment out of it, especially if you like building/furnishing autism forts. There are console commands you can look up if you wanna mess around or have every item handed to you on a silver platter.

>>387027359
Probably not what you had in mind but Automatic Doors, Weapon Stats, Container UI Tweak, and Instant Crafting are basically mandatory.
>>
>>387022291
Here's my experience.
>start game
>get quest to find mineral to make some item
>never find mineral on the planet
>stuck
>>
>>387029919
Sounds like one of the older builds?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.