[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really THAT bad? Sure, the weapons, enemies, level design,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16

File: Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (67KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_2_cover.jpg
67KB, 300x428px
Is it really THAT bad? Sure, the weapons, enemies, level design, setting, pacing, storytelling, tone, setpieces, and variety are much worse and completely butchered in comparison to Half-Life 1, but it was pretty impressive to see everything so pristine and next-gen at the time. This game is definitely very strong versus other first-person shooters released at the era, and definitely has some great, defining moments. It's only really disappointing if you're comparing it to Half-Life 1 or modern games, which simply isn't fair.
>>
Even when compared to contemporaries it wasn't that great.

Doom 3 had better visuals, UT2k4 had better gunplay, Timesplitters 2 had a better story and incredible weapon variety, Nightfire did vehicle sections better, and Soldier of Fortune 2 did good gunplay with nigh-unmatched gore (only partially rivaled by KF2). Half Life 2 was at best a tech demo that pushed shooters further down the cinematic path.
>>
>>387003386
It never was bad.
Stop biting and spreading the GenZ's memes.

>>387003762
On the contrary. Everyone agreed at the time that HL2 BTFO all of the competition, and Doom3's once cool and atmospheric graphics have aged the worst of the bunch now.
>>
>>387003762
>Doom 3 had better visuals
>Nightfire did vehicles sections better
>Timesplitters 2 had a better story
holy meme. 7/10 fantastic bait
>>
>>387003935

Everyone "agreed" because the game spent nearly 6 years indev and it looked cool with basic physics. After a year, we had FEAR, Timesplitters FP and BLACK, all of which did FPS better.

I will grant that HL2 as a platform for mods was good, but most of the mods were just ports of goldsrc mods.
>>
It's great and I think it's a better game than Half-Life 1. Do people really forget how much HL1 turns sour at the end?

Source is an incredibly fun engine, all of the weapons are a blast to use thanks to the physics. Levels are linear but still manage to be very dynamic thanks to the encounter design and how it rewards you for exploring a bit.

>>387003386
>setpieces and variety are worse in comparison to Half-Life 1
This is complete nonsense. The sheer variety of HL2 could have been its biggest downfall if it were not as consistently good as it is. It's all over the place. HL1 is a lot of the same until it becomes a bad first person platformer.

>>387003762
And was also a much bigger example of a game that put cinematic storytelling before actually good level design and gameplay. Both are tech demo games, but DOOM 3 is a prime example of this going very wrong, and Half-Life 2 remains one of the best linear shooters ever made.
>>
It wad bad?

You just got baited son. The game was always fantastic.
>>
File: Doom_3_(PC)_10.jpg (162KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_3_(PC)_10.jpg
162KB, 1280x800px
>>387003762
>doom 3
>better visuals
>>
File: feature01_header.jpg (123KB, 627x300px) Image search: [Google]
feature01_header.jpg
123KB, 627x300px
>>387004686
2/2
>>
>>387004686
>>387004775
There's more to visuals than model and texture quality. DOOM 3 is a very striking looking game, it's about the one thing it has going for it.
>>
>>387003386

the gear and enemies are worse but everything else is superior

>>387004854

Doom 3 has a great artstyle and atmosphere, I really like the sound design to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFRQ_QiG3U
>>
File: 1491177642302.png (439KB, 850x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491177642302.png
439KB, 850x800px
>>387004854
everything was bump mapped to shit and had hard shadows. it looks like dog shit, anon. you are wrong, just admit it, it's okay
>>
hl2 was bad and they slapped it together in like a year because everything they worked on from 1999 to 2003 was scrapped for no reason.
>>
>>387003386
Yes. Also, comparing it to modern games is unfair as every SP shooter today is a HL2 clone, but worse.
>>
>>387005094
>hl2 did grafix and story better
So the only things that don't matter in a video game.
>>
>>387005490
>everything other than weapons and enemy types in a video game = graphics and story
good logic lad

Also even if weapons were worse in HL2 (they aren't), the shooting still manages to feel amazing because the engine is so good. Blows HL1 shooting out of the water.
>>
>>387005306
>for no reason

A hacker literally stole what they were working on. Valve even offered him a job; but he was sent to jail or something
>>
>>387005751
what matters other than enemies and weapons, level design and movement? hl2 has shittier movement because your speed is reliant on sprint and there's no bunny hopping or gauss jumping. level design is also dependent on enemies which hl2 does worse.
>Also even if weapons were worse in HL2 (they aren't)
except for the massively cut down weapon selection leaving you with nothing but generic guns.
>>
File: 5456126.gif (1MB, 352x217px) Image search: [Google]
5456126.gif
1MB, 352x217px
>>387003935

Wrong, to me the game went down hill right after the helicopter fight.

The ammo was reduced right off the board, the gravity gun which I like to call " The gimmick gun " became a thing that made the maps shit out health and rare ammo at you.

But the gimmick gun was so strong and the rare ammo so rare you never felt comfortable using any of that ammo.

Then theres the enemies, Headcrabs and zombies were always the lowtier common enemies and then they just made different colors of them. We got ant lions but they showed only the once and then after that it was literally soldiers 24/7.

The combine are fucking boring, the headset talk is dull compared to the charm of the HL1 marines. They also were not nearly as strong or fun to fight, ontop of this they were the primary enemy.

HL1 had like some 8 unique enemies, some that even flew or swam. HL2 you had the combine for the most part, some ant lions and then the gunship/walkers which were a breeze with ammo crates.

The game was BLAND. The biggest example of why the game is bad is when you compare the glock of HL1 to the handgun of H2. One only kills headcrabs and shitty early combine police. The other could kill hightier marines and assassins with proper shooting.

And don't even get me in the fact we even had fucking IFV and tank to fight.
>>
>>387005918
The hack happened by the time they already scrapped the pre-2003 game. If you play the leak the maps that are actually included in it are just rough versions of the final game.
>>
>>387005127
FULLY
>>
>>387005960
HL2 manages to be faster even with limited sprint. Bunny hopping isn't inherently better than sprinting.
>>
>>387006489
>HL2 manages to be faster even with limited sprint
is that why hl2 speedruns are about twice as long as hl1 speedruns?
>>
>>387006025
There was plenty of ammo for the prevalent weapons of an area. Antlions would have more shotgun ammo around, more SMG around combine, etc. Less for RPGS/Magnum/Crossbow as the "rarer" weapon type. You don't go around 100% plamsa gunning in Doom do you?

>You see antlions once
They make up an entire section of the game. Its not like they're only in one room, you're with them for a measurable fraction of the game.

>Combine boring compared to HL1 marines
What? They're basically the same.

>HL1 had unique nemies that flew or swam
Antlions flew. Combine helecopters flew. There weren't a bunch of levels where you slogged through water so it made sense there were no water-based enemies.

>Bland
Your comparison of weapons is fucked, magnum in HL2 killed elite combine and antlions etc in 1 hit.

HL2 had its flaws. It pulled together a lot of elements that were new at the time, worked physics into gameplay, etc. By today's standards, where people are used to "playing through" the cutscenes instead of sitting back to watch a movie. So HL2 was impressive at the time.

Now its mediocre because now most games do what it did.
>>
>>387006025
>the gravity gun which I like to call " The gimmick gun"

is that what /v/ is calling the gravity gun these days?
I'd like to hear the name of Chell's portal gun.
>>
File: Get_your_free_tvs.jpg (135KB, 552x405px) Image search: [Google]
Get_your_free_tvs.jpg
135KB, 552x405px
Half-Life 2 failed because this nigga right here wasn't in the final game
>>
>>387006025
>the game went down hill right after the helicopter fight.
I agree. I enjoy the early game, but it never really gets any better. All the levels later on aged poorly, and there's not exactly many weapons or enemies to justify the rest.
>>
>>387005918
>Valve even offered him a job; but he was sent to jail or something
The guy who hacked Valve was offered a job as bait, he was German and was going to fly to the US, and upon landing was to be arrested by the FBI, but the German government found out about the plan and arrested him there and he got off with a lesser jail sentence than he would have gotten in the US.
>>
>>387006025
>the headset talk is dull compared to the charm of the HL1 marines
While we're on the subject, the HECU voices are possibly my favorite from any enemy NPC in a game. The deep and gravely "CHECK IN", "HOSTILES", etc sounds amazing every time.
>>
>>387009146
"WE, WILL, KICK, YOUR, ASS"
>>
>>387007819
the reddit gun
>>
>>387005094
HL2 has basically all the gear of the first and most is more fun to use because of the added ragdolls and more open environments. Think of how useless the guided rocket is outside of the cliff segment in 1.
>>
this "hl2 is bad" meme is silly

I played it for the first time after the summer sale and it was fun. I liked black mesa better though
>>
>>387010150
What did you think of HL1, little underage?
>>
>>387010341
I'm 21, that's hardly underage.

In any case I enjoyed the original as well.
>>
>>387006025
Combine and Zombies have multiple variants which all had to be approached with different levels of care than the bullet sponges in HL1. Striders and gunships are much more interesting and open fights than their forbears.
>muh headsets
Who fucking cares? That's such a minor thing to fault the game on, especially when the sequel was trying something different in that
respect.
>The biggest example of why the game is bad is when you compare the glock of HL1 to the handgun of H2
The biggest problem is that one introductory weapon is better than other when you have basically your entire environment to throw at your enemy? Wew lad.
>>
>>387006236
MODELLED
>>
>>387003762
>doom 3 better visuals
nice one
>>
>>387010813
CERVIX
>>
Something nice I found out recently: The combine soldiers have a random unit name and numbers they announce through their comm.
>Blade
>Dagger
>Fist
>Flash
>Ghost
>Hammer
>Hunter
>Leader
>Ranger
>Razor
>Savage
>Spear
>Stab
>Striker
>Swift
And probably others.

It's completely useless but I like it.
>>
>>387003386
>half life 2 was bad meme
>>
>>387011854
OUTBREAK OUTBREAK OUTBREAK
>>
>>387003762
>Half Life 2 was at best a tech demo that pushed shooters further down the cinematic path
This. I don't think anyone who played the original Half Life when it was new likes HL2. It feels like a completely different fucking game.

Also
lmao
>>
>>387012062
SIX
FIVE
FOUR
THREE
TWO
ONE
FLASH, FLASH, FLASH!
>die from own grenade
>>
The game's pacing is what makes it great for me. I don't remember ever getting sick of a particular area or gameplay concept during any of my playthroughs of the game. It's able to set up great moments evenly and also gives the player an ample amount of quiet time that lets the player better appreciate the action when it happens. Solid game.
>>
I think if the guns were better and had some more variety it would have been far better, they sound and feel like fucking pea shooters. More enemy variety wouldn't have hurt either. The set pieces were great but it needed more actual level design.
>>
>listening to dialogues from combine soldiers and metrocops
>If a CP officer manage to kill Gordon you can hear this sometime
Reward Notice: Protection Team member, your family cohesion is preserved.
>>
-Short
-Bloated with unskippable dialogue segments
-Only half of the weapons felt worthwhile
-Physics puzzle were a joke
-AI was beyond stupid
-Barely any platforming
-Reduced player speed dramatically over Half-Life 1
-Airboat section is a heavily linear action sequence
-Reused a huge amount of Half-Life 1 music

I played both games the day they came out. I was pretty fucking hyped to play Half-Life 2 but goddamn it was unfinished. I think Ravenholm and some of the combine radio / city announcements were its saving grace
>>
>>387012969
>Airboat section is a heavily linear action sequence
Both Half-Life games are heavily linear action games.
>>
File: bait.jpg (430KB, 1000x1426px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
430KB, 1000x1426px
>this entire thread
>>
>>387005490
Yeah man, graphix and story do not matter at all in a visual storytelling medium.

I swear to christ you fags have been ruining /v/ for close to a decade now. I bet you think "gameplay" is a word you fucking moron.
>>
>>387012938
reddit tier
>>387012969
Ravenholm was LAME, I actually PREORDERED this shit and it fucking soured me on FPS up until Q4 came out (shit campaign but GREAT MP)
>>
>>387011854
Half-Life 2 has unparalleled sound design. This is known.
>>
>>387013291
>>
>>387013569
Not kidding, HL2 is the original reddit game and anyone that played shooters before it came out knows it.
>>
File: 2f9.png (121KB, 553x585px) Image search: [Google]
2f9.png
121KB, 553x585px
>>387013695
Step up your b8 game ,buddy
>>
File: 1502004253308.jpg (23KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1502004253308.jpg
23KB, 384x313px
>>387013878
>present my honest opinion
>happens to be negative towards a sacred cow of nu-/v/eddit
>lmao its b8
>>
File: b8.png (180KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
180KB, 625x626px
>>387013960
>present my honest opinion
>put words in all caps and use words like "reddit" to get people attention
That's not how opinions works, you are just trying to stir up people.
>>
>>387013960
>le r*ddit gaem its shit
>honest opinion

>happens to be negative towards a sacred cow of nu-/v/
/v/ always hated hl2 with a passion, this thread is the rare kinds of thread looking
at the good things of the game, if you only lurked around more you should already know it

>lmao it's b8
It truly is

Also, this game was released back on 2004, reddit wasnt so big back then, and 4chan hate was centered around GaiaOnline and Gamefaqs

>inb4 i took the b8
You bet i did
>>
>>387013569
He's right though. Quake 4 blew Half-Life 2 the fuck away
>>
File: 1474939200958.jpg (593KB, 1800x2156px) Image search: [Google]
1474939200958.jpg
593KB, 1800x2156px
>>387008238

We're never getting that beta, are we, anon?
>>
>>387003386
I never really enjoyed HL2 even when I played it on release as a little kid and should have been most wowed by it's graphics and physics. It fails horribly at the most important part of a shooter which is actually making shooting fun. Almost all the guns feel like absolute shit to shoot and the ones that don't usually have too little ammo. This isn't helped by the fact that the combine are boring as shit to fight and kill or that every combat section is intersected by boring ass puzzles that a ten year old could instantly figure out.

I'd rather play FEAR over HL2 any day.
>>
File: 5456128.gif (915KB, 359x254px) Image search: [Google]
5456128.gif
915KB, 359x254px
>>387010760

All of the weapons were useful in HL1, even against later enemies.

The headcrab enemies were literally just, fast one, one with annoying poison ones that can be ultimately avoided or shot to hell and back. The OF matured headcrab zombie was more interesting.

IT WAS DULL.

>>387007779

Oh man, what like 4 smg grenades? Pistol and SMG don't share ammo and they're fucking weak as shit. AR ammo out constantly, pitiful rocket ammo.

Combine are nothing compared to the Marines in HL1. The marines had better animations, more attacks, were faster and their melees would force your screen 180 until you pulled away.

The magnum had like 12 rounds compared to 36. And that just points out how bland combine were, in HL1 you couldn't just magnum everything, assassins dodged a lot, fliers swarmed out of range, OH I FORGOT, Some enemies armor actually worked like Vortigrunts, if you didn't shoot them in the right spot the shit deflected and some times HIT YOU.

It was a tech demo, get over yourself and your fanboyism.
>>
Doom (1993), Half-Life 2 are the two best games the FPS genre has to offer. Deus Ex is a runner up. Quake, Half-Life 1, and Bioshock aren't on the list, but Half-Life 1 is still a great game. Here's some problems HL1 has, since I guess bullet points are the highest level of criticism on /v/ (I blame the character limit and how disposable threads are):
>Bloated arsenal filled with a whole lot of overlap and a whole lot of boring tools. Ammo isn't a concern by the time you're a third way into the game. There's a lot less focus here compared to the gunplay compared to Half-Life 2. (Yes the pistol and smg feel weak; they're supposed to because they are. That's why their ammo is the most common.)
>Worryingly repetitive and exhausting art design: So many areas feel and look the same even though there's variety in the gameplay. The use of color is weak even compared to its contemporaries. Sure this supports the oppressive and claustrophobic atmosphere the game aims for, making those short trips on the surface freeing, but ultimately the game loses more than it gains. The artists and the level designers just can't sell the surface areas. They're precisely as restrictive as the literal hallways. It feel artificial in a way that could have been avoided even with the existing technologies.
>Retarded copy pasted AI partners who bumble around like handicapped roombas and shout, "I ain't going another step!" like holy shit is this really the least jarring way you could think of to divorce these guys from Gordon? These guys suck a lot out of the atmosphere and feel faker than Doom's colored door keys.
>A lack of polish on a lot of sequences, a bunch of which lack cohesion and stick out of the game like razor blades in a candy apple, such as the mind-boggling poorly executed On A Rail chapter, that part where you have to fire the mortars using the map, and the entirety of Xen-- especially the genuinely terrible final boss.
>>
Now kids:
>>387014682
>>387015586
>>387015157
>>387012969
>>387012575
>>387013165
THESE are valid opinions of a game, and also valid criticism
On the other hand
THIS
>>387013291
>>387013695
>>387013960
Is b8
>>
>>387015157
There's a few points where I'm questioning what you are saying

>AR ammo out constantly
Did you shoot literally every enemies in the game with the AR2 by holding M1? It's clearly supposed to be a weapon used for mid to long range firefights due to its massive recoil if you hold the fire button. And the ammo for the AR2 get a lot less scarse as you continue toward the game (to the point as being as much as SMGs ammo during C17 riot)

>in HL1 you couldn't just magnum everything
>assassins dodged a lot, fliers swarmed out of range
And the magnum one/two shot every single enemy that isn't tanky and have a perfect accuracy all the time which make the dodging of the assassins useless because their health pool make them vulnerable to being one-shot (their only survival is thanks to their ability to become invisible) and flying enemies easy to pick off even from miles away, what the hell are you talking about?

>Some enemies armor actually worked like Vortigrunts, if you didn't shoot them in the right spot the shit deflected and some times HIT YOU
You are making shit up, the bullets only deflect if your weapon deal less than 20(?) damages (most small firearms) and the deflecting is only an eyecandy, it doesn't "bounce off"
>>
>>387015586
We need more people like you, who gives proper criticism of a good game without saying "this game is shit and here's why:"
>>
>>387003386
I prefer the first one, hl2 is a good game in my opinion, but the pacing for me is awful, also I hated being praised every time for just for being Freeman, also the constant "hey remember me from Black Mesa I'm generic character no. 69"
>>
>>387017297
>hey remember me from Black Mesa I'm generic character no. 69
I agree for the most part, but I did like the fact they made a character, Magnusson, for the microwave thing in HL1, I just wished they gave you the possibility to be a dick once more.
>>
>>387015586
quake is better than doom in every way. anyone who says doom is the best fps of all time is a retard who just spouts whatever popular opinion they hear as their own.
>>
HL2 completely blew my fucking mind back when I first played it but literally all of that was due to the physics and graphics. I never felt the shooting was very good, aside from the submachine gun and the gravity gun all the guns sound and feel like dry whispery farts.
and the AI was always fucktarded, enemy variety is almost none too.

And I always hated all the unskippable cutscenes. These days I can't see anybody playing it and enjoying it like it was new, there's soooo much stupid shit in this game that was clearly put in just to sell the Source Engine. There are times where it does legitimately feel like a tech demo and not like a game. And while that tech demo was impressive as fuck in 2005, it is fucking awful today.

also jesus, FEAR came out right next to this, and FEAR shits all over it.
>>
>>387004686
>>387004775
You kiddies have to remember that HL2 got a visual upgrade many years after launch in a patch.

If you want to see how the game looked at launch check out the OG Xbox version
>>
>>387017762

>If you want to see how the game looked at launch check out the OG Xbox version

I think Launch PC Doom 3 looks better than Launch PC HL2 but lets not kid ourselves, the OG xbox version was stripped down from the launch PC verison
>>
>>387017762
>Vortigaunt in 2004 looks like wrinkled cocks
>>
>>387016935
Yeah there's no point in putting in any effort since really the most you can hope for is tepid ad hominem responses Oh look here's one now >>387017592. And everything will get archived in a couple hours. Oh well. If you're interested in reading more about Half-Life 1, Robert "Radiator" Yang has a bunch of articles about it. He also has a Youtube commentary/playthrough about the level design of the game but I haven't watched much of that.
>>
File: 234678989.jpg (16KB, 334x209px) Image search: [Google]
234678989.jpg
16KB, 334x209px
>>387016073

>Half-life 2
>Recoil

which can be avoided by simply tapping, especially with the combine AR.

As for scarcity, I like shooting the guns that feel fun. The fucking SMG was abyssmal compared to the MP5 in Half-life 1 which was great for shooting EVERYTHING.

>The magnum has perfect accuracy! Invisible assassins!

What the hell ARE YOUUUU TALKING ABOUT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWhF4s_frhw

And as I stated before, many enemies could not be magnumed. Like the grunts with reflective armor, IFV, Helicopters, The fucking Sea monster, and the magnum was not 100% accurate. It also reloaded slow as all fuck, but the animation also had a correct animation compared to HL2.

>b-BULLETS DON'T DEFLECT YOU ARE MAKING SHIT UP!

Okay I'm trying to find some gifs or a youtube vid to show this one off. I promise this shit is real, the things you can deflect off of are Vortigrunt shiny armor and the security guards helmets.

This is just what I remember off the top of my head, I also remember hitting enemies directly with a grenade did damage, but if it struck a helmet it did the deflection animation and sfx.

Sit tight, I'm making you a webm.
>>
>>387017952
>Oh look here's one now
Tell me why Doom is better than Quake when Quake improved every single game mechanic as well as being a massive technological milestone.
>>
>>387018040

Doom is more fun for one
>>
Why
>>
>>387018040
because Quake is boring. seriously. the name is boring, and aside from the first one the art direction is boring.
and the soundtrack is shit. NiN is not nearly as fun to murder shit to as a greatest hits of the late 80's and 90's collection of plagiarized MIDI metal is.
>>
>>387018413
The only complaint you have that isn't extremely vague is not liking the soundtrack which still says nothing about the vastly improved gameplay.
>>
File: HL2.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
HL2.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>
>>387018590
The mechanics are better and the level design is better.
hell the enemies are better too.

But it's just not as fun to play. the actual shooting just feels like shit, weapons aren't nearly loud enough.
>>
>>387003386
I'm sure you think Seinfeld sucks too, right
>>
>Play Half-Life 2
>The Combine soldiers just sit there and take it, awkwardly strafing on occasion
>Get bored of the game and decide to buy Halo for PC which had just come out a year earlier
>The elites try their absolute best to avoid your attacks and take cover when they're damaged. They also become more aggressive when your shields are down
>I become legitimately shocked when I enjoy a casual console game more than a game made specifically for PC

And not long after PC games basically disappeared.
>>
is if anyone thinks hl2 is "bad"
>>
>>387018002
>which can be avoided by simply tapping, especially with the combine AR.
Yes, that was my point, why were you saying you ran out of ammo with the AR2? The only moment it happens is during the first half of the coast because effectively it scarse but it's because you have an infinite ammo jeep at the time and pretty much infinite SMG ammo. (although it's a bit of a retarded mechanic)
Afterward many soldiers use the AR2 and AR2 ammo starts appearing a bit more often (up to the point of being really common in C17, and then you lose all your weapons).

>The magnum has perfect accuracy! Invisible assassins!
>What the hell ARE YOUUUU TALKING ABOUT?
You mentioned assassins, in hard difficulty assassins are invisible if you don't remember.
And yes, the magnum is perfectly accurate, that's one of its main point: Perfect accuracy and damage for slow firing speed and reload time.

>And as I stated before, many enemies could not be magnumed. Like the grunts with reflective armor, IFV, Helicopters, The fucking Sea monster, and the magnum was not 100% accurate. It also reloaded slow as all fuck, but the animation also had a correct animation compared to HL2.
They all do take damage from the magnum, but like most powerful non-explosive weapons the damages are heavily reduced (-60% damage if you hit the armor of the alien grunt, and you can take down a chopper with the magnum if you already damaged it before for instance, I don't think it works for ground vehicles tho but I never tried) unlike HL2 where most vehicles and synths are immune to bullets (except the hunter and the synth scanner)
And the accuracy is 100%, or at least close enough to not be an issue even at really long range.

> I promise this shit is real, the things you can deflect off of are Vortigrunt shiny armor and the security guards helmets
I know there's an effect and damage immunity to small firearms when firing on armor but I've never seen it bounce off and hit something else.
>>
>>387019302
They really ruined a good AI by putting the Combine Soldiers in tight corridors.
They worked a lot more effectively in Episode 2 where they had enough space to use proper tactics.
>>
HL2 was always really fucking bland. The pacing is kinda off and everything feels sterile. My GOTY of 2004 was always Riddick EFBB.
>>
HL2 was too fucking easy

Went back and played HL1 on hard and I had to save scum a few places because of how much the enemies just fucked me up. Opposing Force is even worse.
>>
>>387019520
>HL2 was always really fucking bland. The pacing is kinda off and everything feels sterile.

It's hilarious when children just copy words they've seen adults use to sound smart
>>
>>387019394

>Invisible assassins!

Okay had to look this shit up for myself and lo and behold its tied to the HD models/textures aka console shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZvCMIqP_JM
>>
File: 1498195670748.jpg (1MB, 1631x1373px) Image search: [Google]
1498195670748.jpg
1MB, 1631x1373px
>>387003386
>setting
>tone
>setpieces
>variety
>much worse and completely butchered in comparison to Half-Life 1
kill yourself
>>
>>387018696
WINSTONS BEEN HIT
>>
>>387010150
>this "hl2 is bad" meme is silly
it's just contrarians being contrarian.

It's objectively good. Maybe being considered "the best game ever" by so many people lead people to dislike it purely to even the score.
>>
>>387003386
>modern games
Nah, HL2 is better than most of the modern FPS.
>>
>>387019680
Are you doing it on purpose?
It's in HL and OF (only the female tho) and it happens with or without HD models
>>
>>387003386
It's not bad, it's great. However everything it did right was copied many times after release. So newfaggots will never understand why that game was so special. You had to be there
>>
What's unfair about comparing a sequel to its predecessor? Not saying HL2 is a bad game, but it sure did miss everything that made the original good.
>>
>>387020523
It did good and it did bad compared to the first one, for instance HL2 is a lot less claustrophobic compared to HL but HL had more weapon variety and enemies were tougher which is a main point in a FPS.
>>
>>387017762
Mind spoonfeeding me? I can't find the old models for shit on google, and I didn't play HL2 until 2011.
>>
Things that are still good about HL2 today
>interesting setting
>gravity gun

That's it. If you played it a decade ago you would've enjoyed yourself but everything else in the game has been done better in the present.
>>
>>387020694
Enemy variety was cut down severely though. No fights with vortigaunts, bullsquids, houndeyes, alien grunts, ichthyosaurs, floating dudes with massive heads, and whatever else I'm forgetting. In HL2, you fight dudes in various different colors of clothing with the occasional headcrab to remind you that this is a half life game. The new types of headcrabs were a good idea, but just not enough to replace everything that was lost.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.