[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hellblade thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 13

File: hellblade.jpg (1MB, 2599x3627px) Image search: [Google]
hellblade.jpg
1MB, 2599x3627px
I've been following Hellblade ever since it was first announced and it's interesting how the final game differs from what I though they were describing in their early development diaries.

It seems as though the release Hellblade is toned back in scale, though far more refined. It seems to focus far more on mental illness than it used to, with Senua as a whole being a far more vulnerable and broken character compared to the pretty grit-toothed warrior and badass that she was portrayed as in very early cut-scenes and tech demos. This change has made her a far more believable and realistic character, but the way that character and her mental illness interacts with the game and story make Hellblade far more of a psychological "horror" game than it used to be. As I played through the game, some parts were genuinely disturbing as I empathised with Senua and her story.

I also find it interesting that the game turned out far slower-paced and far more linear than their early concepts seemed to indicate. I seem to recall them penning it somewhat open, with a central area linking everything together. While some elements of this remain, it seems to no longer be a focus of the game except in a couple of instances that allow for limited exploration.

But I think the theme is what I notice the most. I seem to remember Hellblade's early development being about a "troubled" warrior who was venturing into a very real Helheim to do battle, who seems very much able to combat and 'keep at bay' her demons. Senua's finished form seems to be an extremely troubled and psychotic woman who just happens to know how to use a sword completely lost in her own anxiety, depression and psychosis and stumbling into a "personal hell" that might not be real at all - but merely taking the form of the stories Druth used to tell her.

But in the end, I think this game is a fucking masterpiece. What do you guys think of it?
>>
Ha Ha Ha, What a story Mark!
>>
it seems a bit of a movie game
>>
>>386966441
I came here to discuss video games. If you don't want to discuss video games, fuck off.
>>
Good graphics, sound design and VA, but it's hardly a game.
>>
>Dude this character has pyschosis just like me!
>Let's make her hear voices all the time because that's all psychosis is about
>>
File: 1500756414799.png (751KB, 941x707px) Image search: [Google]
1500756414799.png
751KB, 941x707px
So the whole adventure was literally all in her head? Is that why Hela morphed to Senua at the end? Conquering her own demons/gods?

Seems a tad cheap.
>>
File: Hhh.jpg (158KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Hhh.jpg
158KB, 1280x720px
>games that focus on narrative rather than gameplay
>>
>>386966448
Yeah. It did turn out to be far more of a 'movie game' than I thought it would. It's still really good though.

It's better than Ryse: Son of Rome, at least.

>>386966695
To be fair, that's not the only way it portrays mental illness. It does far more and it's really, really good at it. The closest I can think of is Spec Ops: The Line and to be quite frank, it's nowhere near as good.
>>
>>386966363
One of the best games I've played this year because it actually does something original.
>>
Whatever happened to games that could be a psychological thriller without having to sacrifice gameplay for it

I was kinda looking forward to the combat since DMC was fun even if it asn't hard so I thought ninja theory could improve on that
>>
>walking simulator
>"muh mental illness"
eh
>>
>>386966816
Silent hill 1-3 all do the same without being interactive movies and much better than Hellblade
>>
How does Ninja Theory keep getting work? They suck at gameplay and they suck at story telling.
>>
Something I noticed about the game is how grounded in reality it is. Nothing truly feels like "norse mythology", but rather very real places and figures who are 'warped' into a disturbed mythology by people too ignorant and terrified to know differently.

I think what Senua experience is real, but the supernatural aspects are embellishments made by her own fear.

>>386967083
Silent Hill is no-where near as personal or realistic as Hellblade in its depiction though. Silent Hill doesn't whisper in your ear and make you think you're going fucking crazy.

>>386966901
The combat is actually pretty fun in some places. A bit simple, but I had a ton of fun fighting Valravn because it was faster than the other fights. The game can handle fast combat, it just needs more of it and an ability to change who you're aiming at. All the other enemies are really slow compared to you, but not dangerous enough to be anything more than bullet sponges.
>>
>>386966363
I think the game is garbage and that you should go back
>>
File: 1486673091584.jpg (8KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1486673091584.jpg
8KB, 250x238px
>>386967309
>Silent Hill doesn't whisper in your ear and make you think you're going fucking crazy
That's retarded
>>
>>386967413
Everything's retarded to you though, isn't it?
>>
>>386967309
>Silent Hill doesn't whisper in your ear and make you think you're going fucking crazy.

It doesn't have to, the level and enemy design do it for you
>>
>>386967552
No just some fag that thinks phantom whispering is something special, it's literally one of the most over-used tropes in horror media
>>
>>386967279
They have a pretty great mocap studio and rent it out to other studios frequently.
>>
>>386967552
Not him, but fuck me if SH1's final boss music didn't grind my brain. Also this >>386967674. Hellblade may have good audio direction, but SH beats it out in visual making you uncomfortable. I haven't played many games where I "nope'd" at a level, just for it's design. Its enemy design is top notch too. But I'd still fuck Hela.
>>
>>386966363
boring wish there was more combat and less where's waldo puzzles
>>
fuck off shill
>>
>>386966363
Do i play with M&K or with a controller?
>>
>>386966363
Gameplay is utter shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-12-13-20-03-1.png (659KB, 1037x619px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-12-13-20-03-1.png
659KB, 1037x619px
>muh AAA indie
>ninja theory combat
>we want to portray mental illness realistically so here's a celtic warrior fighting droves of monsters
>muh AAA indie
>didn't showcase combat until later in development when they were putting out dev videos on a regular basis
>over the shoulder third person combat that has so far only worked for God Hand and arguably Infinity Blade
>muh AAA indie
I've had zero interest in this game even without factoring in the DmC travesty. Are there multiple difficulties or unlockables or is it only meant to last one playthrough for $30? Multiple playthroughs seem like they trivialize the whole concept of "MENTAL DISEASE IS SERIOUS, GUISE!"
>>
File: 1471054375928.png (18KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1471054375928.png
18KB, 240x200px
>>386966363
>>
>>386966363
I don't see how you can call this game a masterpiece as it does quite poorly as a, well, game.

The rune puzzles are overused and so basic that I can barely call them puzzles. You just walk around to find the right angle to look at something. I find them completely boring and unrewarding, I mean I walk around and then pan the camera when the symbols show up, very boring and there isn't even any satisfaction like solving a clever little problem in slightly more advanced puzzles.

There is very, very much walking around which I found completely boring. There's no exploration or anything, you walk around from "puzzle" to "puzzle" but it's all boring, nothing of it is fun to play or satisfying. If at least the puzzles were good, but they're not. At most they're tedious if you don't immediately find a shadow on the wall or some shit.

The combat was fairly satisfying at first, but it doesn't change until the end so it got somewhat old. I would be OK with it if you had multiple weapon types or something to change up, but no.

They did the portraying psychosis part well, but they didn't make a very good *game* as everything which makes it an actual game is very basic and completely superficial.
>>
>Meme Theory
Not even once
>>
>>386970431
Anyone? Serious question
>>
>>386970681
>Are there multiple difficulties or unlockables or is it only meant to last one playthrough for $30?
There are multiple difficulties, but even on Hard the game is quite easy, nobody with any real experience playing games will have any trouble completing it on Hard for the first time. There are some unlockable voice journals too, they tell you stories about Viking mythology basically. I'd be honestly surprised if you felt like playing again just for those bits you missed, there's nothing to the gameplay to enjoy for a 2nd run IMO.

>>386971431
M&K is fine other than having a completely retarded cap on turn rate, I guess it's more "cinematic" if you can only turn around slowly and unintuitively, as if you were handicapped with an analog stick instead.
>>
>>386966363
This game made literally no sense. Is she even a Nordic woman? Could just as easily be a mentally ill redditor millennial imagining they're a viking woman
>>
>>386970431
>>386971431
Haven't really tried M&K much but controller felt fine.
>>
>>386972693
Did you even play it? She's Celtic, the Vikings attacked/raided them.
>>
>>386972857
How come all the Gods are Norse then?
>>
>>386966441
So anyway how's your sex life?
>>
>>386973391
The Vikings sacrificed her lover to their gods if I understood correctly. She's going to get his soul back.
>>
>>386973391
He's right- you didn't play it. Either that or you simply weren't paying any attention at all and probably shouldn't be critiquing the story.

>>386973598
This. They raided her village while she was out "finding herself" in the woods. They sacrificed her bf to their gods so she's come to get his soul back from them.
>>
Goty because it does something original and feels really cinematic.

Fuck the haters that demand kiddie gameplay.
>>
>>386966363
Really? Because I watched the trailer and all I was was a movie.
And then I noticed the name "Tameem".
And then I proceeded to dismiss that shit.

Thanks for trying tho.
>>
>grim gritty grit we're all covered in dirt

Why is every fantasy setting like this nowadays?
>>
>>386974128
I imagine you would get quite dirty if you're walking through decaying swamps and keep falling over in the dirt.
>>
>>386974128
Aren't you a mature gamer who likes grim and dark cinametic experiences?
What are you a child? Go back to your kiddy Zorlda games, only real adults and REAL videogame fans allowed here.
>>
>>386966494
Protip: Learn to ignore these kinds of posters. Responding they way you did is exactly why they do it.
>>
>>386966363

Shit game from a shit dev who shouldn't of survived their last game
>>
>>386974349
>shouldn't of
What a surprise that a retard has a shit opinion.
>>
>>386974349
>shouldn't of
At least they didn't make that mistake...
>>
>>386974128
Because realism. Sorry not everyone is a child that want to play world of warcraft aesthetics
>>
>>386966363
Shit game, good combat, decent visuals, that whole fucking I have no idea whats going on psychosis also im in hell lmao got old really fucking fast. But I wasn't expecting anything decent from Ninja theory
>>
>>386975130
>realism
>In a game set in some mentally ill woman's imagination
>>
>>386975218
Do you think a mentally ill PTSD suffering elt would dream in WoW style? No of course not. The game's artstyle mirrors the story, stop being stupid.
>>
>>386966363
Not a masterpiece but better than I thought it could be. The way the story was told was very well done and the setting was excellent as well.

Combat was a mixed bag- I initially played the game on Hard and the gank squad fights just became tedious very quickly. Playing again on Normal and Easy and it's not very satisfying either. I don't know what additional depth they could have added to solve this issue but as it stands, I'm glad the game was the length that it was.
>>
>hell is actually a place in ur mind because you cant escape bad feelings lmao

deep af 10/10 GOTY
>>
>>386970697

C'mon anon, TamTam worked hard on his game, let him unwind a little.
>>
>>386971710
>It's my second favorite game ever.
>I'm mentally ill as fuck
Pottery.
>>
>>386975671
That's literally what actual hell is though, just like how demons in real life are your own personality flaws. We romanticize the idea of a hell because it makes the present seem like a pleasant place to be.
>>
Game is pretty intersting but keeps crashing, robbing any emotional impact from it bruh
>>
>>386977780
hello r eddit
>>
>>386966363
FUCK YOU
>>
>>386966816
>better than ryse
Thats a lie
SHILL DETECTED
THIS IS A SHILL
>>
>>386966363
I smell a marketer
>>
The story is kinda cliché, the puzzles are super simple and the combat is lackluster.

The psychosis part also doesn't really serve a purpose as the voices just repeat the same throwaway lines over and over.

That only leaves the eyecandy which isn't fully taken advantage of due to the mostly unimpressive level design.

Not horrible but disappointing. 5/10
>>
Does it really delete your save if you die? I only died once at the best but wonder if its true
>>
I'm at the metal shards level. When will it end?
>>
Just beat Valraven and really enjoying it so far.
Was on the brink of death and he threw a dagger at me managed to parry it back before the lighting blinded me and defeated him. Epic
Love how the colors and images duplicate and blur, the imsessant voices can get grating but over all very satisfied.
>>
File: onlyalie.png (28KB, 504x327px) Image search: [Google]
onlyalie.png
28KB, 504x327px
>>386979503
>Thats a lie
Pretty much sums up the entire game
>>
How did a poorly funded fringe studio like Ninja Theory end up making a better looking game with better story, better game world, better music, and better gameplay than Guerrilla did with that Horizon garbage, and STILL manage to charge half of what Guerrilla is charging per copy of that game they shit out earlier this year?
>>
>>386966363
8/10
Good Story. Okay game play. The story actually pretty run of the mill hero journey shit, but that's aparently exactly what they were going for so w.e. It's really the excecution of the heroes journey story format they used that makes it good. Just the mere fact that they're using a pretty traditional story telling method doesn't make it bad, but if they went for something more original the story would definitely be better fot it.
>>
>>386983674
Horizon looks consistently good for a long time, iwth a huge area.

Hellblade is what I would call extremely curated. It's especially Linear, and short, and that leads to you being able to focus all your efforts on a handful fo small things, where as Horizon was just bigger.
>>
>>386975671
BRAVO TAMEME
>>
If I was just gonna sit back and be told a story, I'd either read a book or watch a movie. The gameplay is mediocre as fuck.
>>
>>386966363
>reddit spacing

You have to go back
>>
File: 61-Image-1.jpg (27KB, 457x291px) Image search: [Google]
61-Image-1.jpg
27KB, 457x291px
>>386966363
With a name like Hellblade I was literally expecting Bootleg devil may cry and honestly that would've been better than whatever fucking cancer they served us.

Boring story that can be completely explained away with
>Oh she has mental illness so probably nothing is real.
Basically it's impossible to be invested or feel any connection to anything because it's shoved in your face VERY hard that none of it is real.
Bland boring combat that's so piss easy, also there's a perma death mechanic that i'm certain is the reason why the gameplay is so fucking piss easy yet the shit adds literally nothing to the story or gameplay so why have it?

On top of that the fact that it's basically a movie with little gameplay beyond sections where you beat the shit out of burly men I have no idea how anyone could call this a masterpiece.

I literally would've taken chinese bootleg devil may cry over whatever the hell this was.
>>
File: 1487801913376.jpg (27KB, 111x152px) Image search: [Google]
1487801913376.jpg
27KB, 111x152px
>>386966363
I think there are too many fucking shills spamming threads about it on /v/
>>
>>386966363
> a fucking masterpiece

6hr long walking simulator.You get more bang for your buck by buying series dvds
>>
>>386985617
>can't tell paragraphs from reddit spacing
YOU need to go back.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.