[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the most important?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 20

File: MMO Holy Trinity.jpg (121KB, 713x790px) Image search: [Google]
MMO Holy Trinity.jpg
121KB, 713x790px
>>
>>386961193
Why is the triangle not even on all sides?
>>
in a well designed RPG, you need all three

in a poorly designed RPG, you can run with a tank and be the best the entire ride
>>
Obviously the healer
If he didn't suck my cock, then who would?
>>
All of them have their purposes
Healers are whiny babies,but useful
Tanks are whiny babies,but useful
DPS people are whiny babies,but useful
>>
>>386961316
it's an equilateral triangle
>>
Pet classes, because sure as hell ain't gonna play a RPG with somebody else for longer than maybe an hour.
>>
>>386961384
so paladin? or cleric
>>
>>386961557
or monk or druid
>>
>>386961193
They are all equally useful but dps players are usually the most numerous so you can bully them, steal their loot and kick them without much consequences for yourself as a tank.
>>
>>386961193
Anyone can be the most important depending on the MMO and the skill of the player
>>
>>386961384
This.
They remove beserk/enrage timers so shitter DPS stop feeling like shitters, then they remove mana management and high damage to make shitter healers stop feeling like shitters.
The problem then is the only people playing with any skills are the tanks, so the tanks become massively outnumbered. Then they remove threat and cooldown management and your MMO turns into WoW.
>>
File: 2005.jpg (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
2005.jpg
15KB, 200x200px
>multi class games
its not the 1800s any more grandpa
everyone can do everything now so they all feel special
>>
Healer
Makes up for a bad tank.
DPS are there to make the healer's job easier by shortening the fight.
Everything comes back to the healer.
>>
>>386961193
i am
>>
>>386961193
True skilled DPS don't need healers or tanks, they don't take damage
>>
>>386961695
But anon wow has literally all of those things still at least at the higher difficulty settings
>>
>>386961695
T. Flex hero.
>>
>>386961407
me
>>
The tank

>no tank
>boss goes on a murder spree because nobody has the armor or HP to take more than 2 hits without dying.
>>
File: 1449537741477.gif (693KB, 339x279px) Image search: [Google]
1449537741477.gif
693KB, 339x279px
>Tank fucks up mechanics and dies instantly
>DPS gets aggro
>Healer and DPS enter some kind of zen state where the DPS survives each hit with 2 health and instantly pops back to full
>Survives the 30 seconds required to finish the boss
>An unbreakable bond is formed

You can't call yourself human if you haven't experienced this
>>
>>386961438
it is actually shapeshifting theoretical triangle when you account for personal skill
>>
File: 1390197720821.png (434KB, 571x540px) Image search: [Google]
1390197720821.png
434KB, 571x540px
>Tank fucks up
>Entire group died
>Healer fucks up
>Entire group dies
>DPS fucks up
>Fight just... takes longer

I'll give it to tank because its the only role expected to fully know every fight before ever stepping foot into an instance
>>
File: JPEG_20170701_011259.jpg (13KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170701_011259.jpg
13KB, 128x128px
>>386962281
This
>>
>>386961193

Depends on the context. For progression, all need to be playing at an optimal level. No slackers. For a carry group, I'd value tanks and healers slightly more than DPS. For farming, DPS makes things easiest.
However, it's called the holy trinity for a reason; no one role is that much more important than the other. If content significantly devalues one of the roles, its a problem with design rather than the player.
>>
>>386962824

>DPS fucks up
>boss enrages or causes potential wipe due to mechanics

See KJ in LFR. It's pathetic to see all these sloppy pussy wow players are crying about having to do a simple soak mechanic.
>>
If the DPS is good enough, the other two aren't needed
>>
>>386962281
>>386963027
>>
the healing tank dps
>>
>>386961193
Neither. You can't do shit without all three. And it's fucking curse to mmo, we need some mmo without holy trinity.
>>
The whole fuckin point is that they don't work without eachother.

If gear/power level is really out of wack, dps is the most useful. I've done plenty of dungeons with no tank or no healer (or both) because the dps was high enough. But if balance is good, you need all 3.
>>
>>386962080
The healer

>no healer
>boss kills the tank in 5 hits instead of 2 and then boss goes on murder spree, etc

The dps

>no dps
>tank and healer stay alive for 17 minutes but nothing happens until enrage timer and then they both get 1 shot
>>
>>386963660
And what else do you propose to balance an mmo out? I mean if this formula has been used for so long, my best guess is that any other ideas make different classes either overpowered or fucking useless
>>
>>386963280
The amount of soak mechanics in ToS is dumb. Fuckin mix it up a bit.
>>
>Removes healers and tanks
>Every player gets a little aggro and is expected to deal with pressure
>Each class has its own unique way to mitigate damage and recover life
>Maybe have on class that is support leaning but content is not balanced around having them present.

There fixed MMOs
>>
>>386963931
How about utilize leech skills and support boons?
>>
>>386963660
Runescape only needs tanks and dps
>>
>>386963931
Look at Destiny.
>>
>>386964096
Any type of support skill falls into the "healer" role, you increase your teammates survivability, leeching just means being more tanky, the nature of the roles are still unchanged.
>>
>>386964192
Destiny's style of no outright tanks/healers works because there's only 3 classes and you can swap between specs whenever you want. In an mmo with 8 different classes with 2-3 specs each, it's much less viable to make a encounter that "requires" a certain spec or even class because there's no guarantee that they'll be in every raid. You could assume in destiny that in any given raid, there would be at least one of each class.
>>
>>386961193
Damage. Without the damage, there is no dead enemy. Otherwise you just have a guy taunting it, and another one healing him, for all eternity.
>>
>>386961193
>Who is the most important?
Who cares? MMOs are trash and so 2005. No one who is even remotely succesful in life plays traditional MMOs at a hardcore level.
>>
>>386964071
>everyone is the same
wew
>>
>>386964408
Everyone has leeching and few support skills. And you can't change this into dps skills. Therefore, to everything works fine all party members need to use leech for self heal and support skills.
>>
>>386961193
I want the Trinity design to die in a fire
>>
>>386961193
Generally speaking, it's the healer.

Healers can tank and deal damage, just not nearly as effectively as the other two - whereas DPS and Tanks can't heal, or nearly as effectively as a Healer.
>>
>>386964432
How about making 8 classes and raid for 16 slots, 2 for each classes?
>>
>>386964743
>I cant read
>>
>>386964071
You just described Guild Wars 2. Go forth and have fun.

zzzzzzz...
>>
>>386962281
watching rogues save pulls by evasion tanking the boss will never get old
>>
I want to make an MMO but I know nothing about programming or art or game design.
>>
>>386964980
>GW2
>No healers or tanks
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You can't do shit without tank, boonstick and heals.
>>
>>386965018
Me too. Let's cry and masturbate.
>>
File: 1501475068975.gif (4MB, 490x476px) Image search: [Google]
1501475068975.gif
4MB, 490x476px
>Play a healer
>Tank is made of paper and the DPS are awful

>Play a tank
>Healer is picking his nose the whole time and DPS are awful

>Play a DPS
>Tank can't hold aggro off the healer who can't keep everyone alive
>>
>>386961193
Tank, because many tanks can selfheal and do damage, even though there would be less heal and damage without party. If bosses have really small time limiter, then everyone is equal. If soft - tanks >heals>dd.
>>
>>386964857
>Each class has its own unique way to mitigate damage and recover life
>same shit, different animation
man, so unique
>>
>tank holds hate so well and takes so little damage that a healer is practically unnecessary
What game?
>>
File: 1433404772562.jpg (68KB, 469x563px) Image search: [Google]
1433404772562.jpg
68KB, 469x563px
>>386962824
>be a top geared tank
>get expantion a bit late because you have played the game to death at this point
>not knowing if im going the right way, i tell the group its my first time here
>they all leave
>jump in on my dps instead
>tell them the same thing
>np
>>
>>386961193
It depends on the game. Usually in MMos the tank will be the most important aspect as a good one will always make the other roles much easier for the players.
Meanwhile in single player games it is either the dps or healer, usually the dps can make fights short enough no healing will even be necessary (or sustain themselves through lifesteal style affects) or the healer literally saves you from losing progress due to a good heal or a resurrection, meanwhile tanks in single player games tend to be a bit under tunes.

Any other view is false.
>>
Margin for error at casual play is
DPS > Healer > Tank
Margin for error at high level play is
Tank > Healer > DPS
>>
Depends on the fight. Some are healing intenaive, others dps intensive.

Somefights if your dps is strong enough you can phase the boss so fast he wont do certain mechanics
>>
>>386964841
Problem with that is then you're bringing people because you need to meet the class quota, not because they're good. Classic wow could do this cause they had 40 man raids (which were fuckin awful for that and other reasons) but it's pretty shitty to have some terrible asshole in your group but you can't kick him because you need him to hit his X ability during phase whatever.
>>
>be tank
>few dps circling and hitting a timed boss
>boss does a bladestorm type thing that gets closer and closer to him and damages everything regardless of aggro and likes to spin around to launch fireballs anywhere so melee surround him to prevent that and act as shield for casters
>healer targeted on me for mass heals
>i got the most health and heal amplification items/passive so everything dies around me from the blades before i'm in any danger
>get the blame
>have to move around constantly to stay in front of the boss to tank his spastic fireballs
>still get the boss down with mage DoTs wothin time limit
>healer apologizes

/blog

i miss playing D&D online
>>
>>386965309
WildStar in dungeons once you got to 50m not sure if that's been rebalanced yet

TERA if you were gud, I used to do tank+DPS parties but the reverse was also true, and people did mystic (support) + DPS to rape instances
>>
>>386965963
It's not because of some skills, it's just 2 slots for each class. Make raid flexible 8-16. Don't like faggot who plays druid? Kick him.
>>
>>386964743

and everyone being 1 of 3 roles doing the same shit everytime is better?
>>
In terms of if you can even get a decent shot at whatever you're doing, then either healer or tank are most important depending on the game/fight, and they're pretty close due to their roles being reliant on the other. If your tank gets his shit rekt and/or the healer can't keep the heals going, then you're pretty well fucked and all the dps in the world won't save you. However, the outcome of tanking/healing is more binary (you keep aggro and avoid getting dicked or you don't. You keep people alive or you don't), so it's usually a bigger improvement to focus on getting better dps players or better gear for your current dps players once your tanks and healers can do a good enough job since that'll make the fight shorter, and give you more breathing room when it comes to dps checks/enrage timers.
>>
>>386965181
The only winning move is crafting and gathering.
>>
MMOs need to just rip off Monster Hunter more
>No player stats just armor skill bonuses
>No tanks/healers/dps just control/buffs
>Great boss fights without clutter
>Still has hundreds of hours of content and easy to add new content
>>
>>386961193
I miss when there were buffers/debuffers and everything in between. Now all the classes have to be homogenized or the same w/ a different color of paint. Fucking everyone is equal and the same mindset is ruining MMOs. Yeah you don't always need to have a fight based around every single class - you SHOULD have content based around certain set ups, ideas ect.,. A great/fun group will bank on each other's strengths and try their best to overcome a collective weakness.
>>
>>386966948
Yeah this seriously kills a lot of MMOs for me. I like the support roles, have ever since tabletop games and bard songs, giving a group haste is the shit and all that.

The homogenizing of classes to only fit the 3 MMO roles (since ttg had controllers, not DPS, tanks being the heavy or consistent hitters too) is just boring. Game balance is important but it seems like everyone gives up to take the easy route.
>>
>>386961193
If you have to explain them dps is for damage, then dont bother asking them anyway. They know nothing.
>>
>>386961193

The trinity is boring af, need to augment it with some new roles. FFXI did a good job of introducing a support role, buffing/debuffs.
>>
File: 1467416538468.gif (2MB, 420x275px) Image search: [Google]
1467416538468.gif
2MB, 420x275px
>>386965001
Is that still a thing? I played a rogue for a long time before realizing I liked healer so I've been on both ends of it. I'll never forget being the last survivor when Moroes was at 2% health. The cheers.
>>
>>386967283
thats better for local co-op games. it would take too much planning and preparation. its bad enough when a game has 2 or 3 roles and you are just waiting and waiting for someone to show up so you can actually play the game. more advanced than that would just be terrible.
>>
>>386962281
>XIV
>farming Lakshmi
>has a 20-degree cleave that targets 2nd on the aggro list
>off-tank can't into "Provoke and do nothing" every minute or so to stay second on the aggro list
>only have Diversion for enmity control
>no Ninja to smokescreen me
>I get chosen for the cleave
>raidwide aoe just happened so we're all below 50% HP, casters get hit below 30% because of lower HP/vitality
>heals not going off in time
>teleport next to the main tank, use Manaward to mitigate, but accept my fate
>suddenly see a tether
>MT is a paladin
>fucking Covering my ass
>survive the cleave, but the stack aoe is next
>healers and 2 dps are in Timbuktu, off tank is still dead
>just MT and myself
>PLD uses Divine Veil to make a shield on everyone in range with as much HP as his most recent heal received
>drops Reprisal on the boss to lower the next hit by 5%
>Red Mage suddenly jumps in with Corps-a-Corps and uses Addle for another 10% damage reduction
>we survive
>PLD does /thumbup and goes back to his job

Even super easy farm fights have some fun moments like these.
>>
>>386967646
It's an MMO. It should take time and fucking prep to get shit done. Having to speed everything along and make everything last 5-10 mins with instances and shit is what brought us to where we are. MMOs should be nothing more than online D&D campaigns.
>>
>>386967753
which quickly dilutes the game and makes it only as fun as the people you are playing with. EVE online is like that and if you don't find a group with the same ideals as you its not worth playing.
>>
>>386967646
Which is what it was like a long time ago. Remember when you had to make friends with good DPS and healers because there was no LFG tool? Or when guilds were about players that were able to congregate and compliment each other at certain times and not just because they all came from the same forum?

I'm not saying it was perfect and clearly there are plenty of people who agree with you because that's the direction MMOs have taken. But I think support roles are awesome. And you're thinking very narrowly if you think that it would have to be its own category, like RIFT. What if the game was designed around them being able to replace a DPS role? Or healer? Providing mitigation or acceleration rather than straight up numbers that go up or down. Even if it was a DPS whose only job was to double another character's DPS directly it would be different and potentially more interesting than the soup of classes we have right now in pretty much everything.
>>
>>386966519
>gatherer
>other gatherers grab the materials before you get to them

>crafter
>people undercut you every time on the auction house/market board/whatever
>>
>>386968095
you can add support roles to a game but its up to the developer to account for natural human behavior and make the game flow as easy as possible based on typical social interactions.

look at a game like dota insane amount of roles and combinations. but its garbage to play with anything than a 5 stack because people are inflexible and unwilling to do different strategies and roles.
>>
Healer is the most important.

A shit DPS prolongs the fight but doesn't fuck it up apart from slowing things down.

A shit tank might need more heals to stay alive, but it's doable.

A shit healer means everyone dies.
>>
>>386968589

It's not about having options. It's about having the incentive to try those options out.
>>
>>386968812
Healslut spotted. I bet you suck dildo while thinking about your importance.
>>
>>386961193
Tanks, despite being the lowest numbers wise they're the most individually important. With sufficient gear or level advantage they can have enough damage and self healing to solo content.

They're also fastest queues and always in demand, you don't have to compete for gear either.

Main tank is frequently raid leader for a reason
>>
>>386968812
paladin tank here, cleared some dungeons while healer was afk and with low dps

i even solod some bosses before inrage timers were a thing
>>
>>386961193
All 3 are important but in most games i think the tank ends up being most important because there is no way around needing one, going in without a tank is suicide.
>>
>>386969363
>being this delusional
>>
>>386962281
This was me and my ex. As a druid healer and her as a rogue, we synced so well that we could do anything below the harder heroic dungeons and obviously raids back in TBC with just the two of us.
>>
>>386962281
>>386967720
I like the trinity. I think games should focus more on this instead of using the same moves in the same order for max DPS. You only need 2-4 offensive moves to have decent action in that way. More utility/defensive abilities to deal with unexpected shit. Make more unexpected shit.
>>
great MMOs have tank - dps - healer - utility
>>
File: objection.png (296KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
objection.png
296KB, 1440x900px
>>386969945
Depends on the game and the difficulty. For example in WoW you don't need a tank for about 50 levels, as long as you have a healer. On the other side of things you probably don't need a healer for that content either as long as you have a tank (and maybe some potions).

In games that require dodging, both tanks and healers can find themselves displaced the more competent the DPS are. Most of those games then rely on unavoidable debuffs or positioning to make one or the other a necessity.

A well balanced game or content needs all three. Even if you take out 'artificial' things like enrage timers, there are plenty of other things to balance around.

I think by going away from healer mana mattering to it just being 'oh god spam your best spells so they can survive' they removed a lot of this though. Tank performance matters less except at points where it HAS to (tank busters, adds etc) because the healer doesn't run out of mana. DPS has to be given artificial goalposts instead of natural ones based on the others performance. Healing just becomes high stress because it's spammy triage except the answer is always the biggest bandage.
>>
>>386964980
also CSGO, Destiny, Halo, etc

only the MMORPG genre seems to fixate on "healer" in terms of design. Shit like TF2's medic are attempts to infect other genres with this stupidity.

As soon as you have healers you end up with this shitty triangle bullshit, where people won't form teams "unless" there's a healer
>>
File: wow.jpg (58KB, 336x394px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
58KB, 336x394px
>>386961193

The tank, if he goes down the battle is over, even if the healer dies its not over until the tank dies.
>>
>>386961193
the tank 100%

They're the ones who have to know all the strats inside and out and are 9/10 the leader. I'd say DPS is just slightly below them though, since good dps takes a lot of pressure off the healers since shit gets killed quick.

Healers are also important obviously, but in general healing is pretty fucking easy
>>
good question, depends on game.

in ffxiv ive encountered a problem with each role and not being able to clear the fight.
Healer couldnt make the healer check, tanks didnt swap properly or grab the adds or dps couldnt make dps check.
Every role has its function and usefulness but since dps is usually the most used role, tank and healers are more appreciated.
>>
File: bkat.png (46KB, 274x258px) Image search: [Google]
bkat.png
46KB, 274x258px
>blood death knight tank
>outheal 90% of healers
>get an elemental shaman who can throw some heals my way sometimes instead of a dedicated healer
>do mythic dungeons all day with 4dps and 1 tank
MMOs have been doing it wrong all these years and I didn't even know it. Guild Wars 2 fucked it up so bad I didn't think it could be done.
>>
>>386961193

The most important one is the faggot who doesnt play mmos that use "the holy trinity" mfw youve never played ultima online faggot
>>
>>386972027
Is there a private server that isn't P2W?
>>
File: 1501996017028.png (487KB, 940x407px) Image search: [Google]
1501996017028.png
487KB, 940x407px
>>386962281
>Tank can self heal
>I can transfer mana to him
>Me and tank surviving the boss while the other dps and healer are dead
>>
All are needed for victory, and the team must understand that.
>>
File: 1452685287103.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452685287103.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>386971498
I've finished without a tank.
I've finished without a healer.
Hell I've finished without DPS

It's not over until the last man dies. You're all important to me! Fight hard!
>>
The answer to 4-man content is to add a 5th party member

>1 tank
>1 healer
>2 dps
>1 wild card for any of the above
>getting a second tank gives you leeway if the main tank hits the floor or has no clue how to hold enmity
>a second healer would ease the burden of a bad tank or blind dps
>a third dps would speed up the run as a whole, as mobs melt faster
>>
>>386964192
Destiny 2 seems to be inching closer to the Holy Trinity concept, considering that Warlocks will have AOE healing and buffing abilities, and Titans can spawn even more barriers than in Destiny 1 (Where they just had Ward of Dawn.
>>
>>386972626
Problem with is that you just end up taking a 3rd DPS 9/10 times
>>
>>386972626
That's already an option. Everyone picks DPS because it's all about going fast. Hell, in a few MMOs these days healers are expected to do a bit of damage because everyone likes ruining my fun.

DCUO did it pretty well. They had a "controller" archetype that did more DPS than tanks/healers but less than DPS. Their job was mostly crowd control, mana recovery, buffs, and general utility. They could still be a DPS in a pinch and generally sped things up more than another DPS but having two would be inferior to another DPS.
>>
File: 1347028652935.gif (350KB, 215x194px) Image search: [Google]
1347028652935.gif
350KB, 215x194px
>>386972272
>playing old brewmaster
>healer stands in the fucking fire and dies
>manage stagger and guard shield, self heals, interrupts, and aggro with ox statue
>kill the boss with no healer
Fuck legion and fuck what they did with brewmaster though, glad I finally got off the boat
>>
File: uo.gif (25KB, 281x386px) Image search: [Google]
uo.gif
25KB, 281x386px
>>386961193
trinity sucks
good mmos (only one in existence) have no need for these roles.
>>
>>386972873
Sunsinger was in first game, so nothing new. Bubble > barriers. It's not closer to holy trinity, than first game.
>>
>>386973594
You said this already like 10 posts ago
>>
>>386965823
Probably the most accurate thing in this thread tbqh
>>
>>386961193
The one that codes the AI, so he makes sure enemies are retarded and never really move to attack the weak points of the trinity.
>>
>>386974514
That was someone else
Still true though.
>>
File: 52209y.png (378KB, 584x556px) Image search: [Google]
52209y.png
378KB, 584x556px
>>386972626
>go dps Druid
>sometimes healer fucks up and i save the day going offheal + dps
>sometimes tank dungoff and i have to pop into bear to hold asmuch as i can, while stunning one so someone can CC it

>go hunter and kite the boss to death when entire party dies

>tfw you play with fellow likeminded good players
>>
File: 1496002466164.jpg (169KB, 758x840px) Image search: [Google]
1496002466164.jpg
169KB, 758x840px
>>386961193
you posted the wrong pic, should've posted the doujin one
>>
>>386972370
that's the spirit
>>
File: Minecraft.webm (62KB, 214x248px) Image search: [Google]
Minecraft.webm
62KB, 214x248px
>it's a "class doesn't matter! you can do anything on your own or with any group setup! ultimate flexibility! breaking the boring old trifecta mould!" game
>it's shit
really gets the ol' blood flowing
>>
>that moment when the entire raid wipes except for one heavy armored DPS
>raid boss at 20% HP left
>paladin/warrior manages to solo the boss down to 0 and everyone cheers
You will never experience this feeling ever again
>>
>>386976957
>a single paladin or warrior solos a raid boss for 1/5th of its HP
You never experienced this feeling ever
>>
>>386977230
at 70 i solod lvl 60 onyxia, took me 1hour
>>
>>386975798
Why is this image backwards? And is her name Wario?
>>
>>386961193
Debuff and Zoo.
>>
>>386961193
none of them
rigid class based systems are shit, it should be more fluid and depend on player choice, gear, and skill
>>
>>386978392
It is. You choose your class and spec. You get gear for that role. Then you get good at the role. Go play GW2.
>>
>>386978615
No, it should not depend on a single arbitrary choice at the beginning of the game.
This leads to detachment to the player character and a lack of involvement with the game and the world.
There is a lack of player agency besides the initial choice in many mmos, a character should always be able to decide their role without losing out on anything.
>>
>>386961795
Sounds just like something a worthless healslut would say
>>
>>386978774
Most MMOs have multiple specs for each class. Usually a DPS spec and either a healer or tank spec, as well as a more utility based healer, tank, or dps spec.

I agree that I don't like choosing your class at the start and being locked with it. I don't even like FFXIV's class swap since it's effectively leveling a different character. I'd prefer something more similar to Skyrim's leveling where you level up in different skill schools and become better at them. It's just more organic and doesn't force you to make a permanent choice about a game with very little context from the get go.
>Arbitrary choice
If it was arbitrary we wouldn't be making an issue of it. It's obviously important.
>>
>>386968812
Any game worth shit has enrages that punish poor DPS play and prevent you from just stacking tanks/healers to play it safe. A good game should also kill tanks that don't have cooldowns ready for most moves in 1 shot regardless of healer skills.
>>
>>386978224
because this is a board for lefthanded, WAAAAAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>386973428
To be fair its kind of bad game design to give a tank so much self sustain that they don't need a healer for current content, even if its just a dungeon.
>>
Ideally, and in any balanced game, they're equal
Different games skew different ways, though
also
>MMO
That term applies as early as tabletop RPGs and as broad as some FPSes
>>
An MMO can balance all classes if they have a niche.
>>
>>386961193
The trinity is the worst piece of shit ever.
>>
Enrage timers were a mistake.
>>
>>386981580
pure DPS were a mistake
>>
>>386982719
DPS Crowd-Conrol master class
>>
>everyone should be able to solo
>playing anything but ranged DPS
>wasting time
>consumables
>durability
>>
DPS is ultimately what matters and has the highest skill ceiling but all of the classes are important.
>>
>>386984637
>highest skill ceiling
>first to die standing in fire

try Vanila WoW warrior tanking, low single target skills, every pull might pull one more then planed, resulting in wipe on trash, mobs starts fleeing randomly, might go into an non-pulled group when getting to low health
>>
File: v[1].png (37KB, 504x513px) Image search: [Google]
v[1].png
37KB, 504x513px
>>386964071
Vindictus did this in the absolute best way possible but quickly changed it to the worst.
>>
dps, if you have enough dps, you don't need a tank or a healer.

want proof? At level 60, go do a level 30 dungeon.
>>
>>386985701

what are CCers? DPS classes have other skills besides "pewpew arrows"

gotta work together, man. Tank has his hands full with 1 or 2 mobs.
>>
>>386988143
>implying a level 60 tank can't also solo a 30 dungeon
>implying you wouldn't be able to do that earlier with a tank
>>
>>386988587

then that tank is acting as a dps.
>>
>>386989958
And as sole target, your level 60 DPS is doubling as a tank
What we can conclude from this is that Healers a shit
>>
>>386961193
All three are important up to a point. Assuming stability DPS are most important as the more damage they do and damage they dodge the faster and smoother things are.
>>
>>386988282
healers have CC aswell
>>
>>386964980
That was GW2 at launch now you need these roles and it sucks
>>
>>386961193
Tank and healer tie
Dps are literally always replaceable
>>
>>386961193
they're all equal, that's the point
>>
>>386988143
>if you have enough dps, you don't need a tank or a healer
>dps get oneshot by boss because hes not defcapped

if a group skips healer and tank they do ~66% more dps but cant take more then 2-3 hits each, and there is no one to negate the damage taken, meaning if you cant end the fight within 15boss hits atmost (+/- bosscrit and dps defense skills), its a wipe
>>
File: mspaint trinity.png (22KB, 1556x1086px) Image search: [Google]
mspaint trinity.png
22KB, 1556x1086px
Today I will remind them of the superior trinity.
>>
Could a 4th role save MMOs?

What would it be?
>>
>>386991937
Fucking
This
Original trinity is too restrictive
>>386992256
If I had to add a fouth to the original set, buff/debuff slut, whatever you'd call that.
>>
>>386992256
Hello my millennial friend. There once was a fourth role. It was crowd control.
>>
>>386979082
>I'd prefer something more similar to Skyrim's leveling where you level up in different skill schools
That was my point, though I was using runescape as a mental point of reference.
>>
>>386992256
Utility
>>
>>386971324
TF2 has a healer but doesn't have tanks or any kind of "holy trinity" meta so I'm not sure what you're saying is accurate
>>
>>386992256
The trinity in EQ was Tank/healer/mes back before WoW dropped that level of crowd control
>>
>>386961193
They need to bring back crowd control and support roles.
>>
>>386992256
Support, basically crowd control and buffs/debuffs. AMP those allies whacky skills up to a crazy degree while one forces the enemy to watch everyone die, unable to do anything..
>>
Depends on the SP pool

If the healer has resources, then a pure DPS is just there to accelerate the process, seeing how tanks can just be there to absorb the hits while slowly taking down the enemy (pve, of course)

In a perfect world, they should all have their place and shouldn't be able to cover multiple roles, thus making other classes that can't do so useless
>>
I liked GW1's frontline, midline and backline

>frontline
like tanks, sometimes interrupt or CC

>midline
usually dps or mesmers (denial-based mages)

>backline
support - healers, protectors, shout-based stuff

best part is classes could flip around the 3 easily and no one class was bound to a role - infact you were encouraged to switch up your strategy to overcome new enemies.

too bad meta-builds made the game boring - you would use 1 "best" build that could do anything and just stick with that for the rest of the game PVE
>>
>>386961193
No one. That's why it's a triangle. All equal in this case.
>>
>>386965607
why the fuck would you tank a dungeon you don't know? every single tank has a dps spec. use it for the first couple of runs, then tank.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.