[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roguelikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: cogmind.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
cogmind.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
Anyone on /v/ still play roguelikes? I've been playing a lot of pic related and TOME, wondering what other people are playing.
as much as i love isaac and FTL can we keep this to actual roguelikes?
>>
>can't even get past level 20 in ToME on Normal/Adventurer permadeath setting
>played for a total of 72 hours
How to not fucking suck pls
>>
>>386918506
wish i knew, im fucking horrible at the game
>>
>>386918819
I just don't understand how people do it. I see "X has completed 'Level 30' on insane difficulty!" all the time in the chat window. There's always some stupidly powerful rare monster with fucked up modifiers that pushes my shit in.
>>
>>386919148
Don't open chests or vaults you fucking retard.
>>
>>386919148
post a screenshot of your most recent asshole, his gear, and your talents
>>
File: WELCOME HOME, SUCH AS IT IS.png (269KB, 878x900px) Image search: [Google]
WELCOME HOME, SUCH AS IT IS.png
269KB, 878x900px
>>386919326
>not opening loot dispensers
>>
File: tomechar.jpg (1MB, 1197x1894px) Image search: [Google]
tomechar.jpg
1MB, 1197x1894px
>>386919345
Level 21 reaver, this was as far as I had gotten. Everything else was 18 or less.

>>386919326
But then I can't get the super loot anon.
>>
>>386918365
Just got into roguelikes myself. I'm fascinated by the genre, and frankly the premise in general. I love the idea of an extremely difficult challenge that you have to learn the game pretty much inside and out in order to beat.

I've been playing a bit of ToME and DCSS so far. Kind of like ToME a bit more just because of the reusable aspect of the mechanics, although I like DCSS for the more "standard" roguelike experience (I'm much better at ToME than DCSS so far though).
>>
Oh hey I've been playing cogmind too. But holy fuck it's hard, I get up to like 1250 core or something in the factory, but end up just getting fucked by the endless waves of hunters/programmers. I know you're supposed to keep a low profile but it seems impossible with most playthroughs, you just walk into groups of enemies you could have no knowledge of. I try to get sensor arrays/sig interps asap, but sometimes even on the first level I just spawn on top of a group of guys. Shits fucked up.

At work I play a lot of DCSS, but I don't get many wins because I prefer to play really unorthodox shit. I had an ocotopode kill 2 hell lords recently, but died in Dis
>>
>>386920162
Reavers are a garbage munchkin class.
>>
>>386918365
I played so many roguelikes growing up, but fell off the wagon hard. I only ever beat angband, zangband, pernband and 15 rune dcss though, despite playing about 10 times that number of roguelikes. I just recently tried poschengband but I found it hard going back to an angband variant after dcss.

I haven't seen cogmind before though, might give it a shot, thanks OP.
>>
>>386920380
I liked playing him, haven't rolled a Reaver since. I've been trying with the Alchemist and Bulwark, the former because the golem seems like a great way to deal a lot of damage but also not risk a lot should he die, and the latter because they're really tanky. Haven't had much luck so far though.
>>
File: Conj op.png (224KB, 1200x714px) Image search: [Google]
Conj op.png
224KB, 1200x714px
Play Brogue.
>>
>>386920556
I've been having the most luck with a Dwarf Bulwark. That seems to be the most beginner friendly class. Don't open vaults and chests and you should be able to at least make it to the lightning mountain area every time.
>>
>>386920623
Honestly the stupid hard rares are a problem, yeah, but other times it's enemies that are supposed to be there, like the boulder throwing rock giants. Those things tear through me no matter what I roll.
>>
Anyone still playing IVAN? /v/ was all about it a few years go. So far I haven't heard of anyone here beating it besides myself
>>
>>386920770
/v/ playing IVAN in 2010 is what got me into roguelikes in the first place. I never beat it cos it's bullshit, furthest I got was the enner beast.
>>
>>386920723
lol yea those guys give me tons of problems too. I've just had to resort to going super slowly, and having all my cooldowns ready to go at all times. If you don't have a rushdown skill or shield ready, trying to tank your way up to them is usually suicide if they have any help with them.
>>
>>386920525
>only beat a roguelike
that takes some skill no matter which one you beat, that's impressive as shit man.
>>
>>386920853
This is the trick

-put potions into cans so the beast screams don't break them
-use scrolls of detect material to detect enner beast flesh
-once you know where he is zap the fuck out of him from as far away as possible with wands
>>
I've won a couple 3 rune games of DCSS, one draconian berserker and one gargoyle EE that ended up spamming firestorm
Interesting game, but I don't really want to bother to take it any further.
I've been tempted to try out Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode recently, but it feels like I'd end up spending a lot of time learning all the weird mechanics and then realize there's nothing to actually do
>>
>>386921146
You should give more runes a try just to see how cool the rest of the game is. Hell, pandemonium, and the tomb are super dangerous, but it's super fun to explore the level design in them. Honestly that's a completely different phase of the game that you just haven't touched on.
>>
>>386921146
It's not fantasy, but if you're looking for a change of pace, try cataclysm:DDA. I've sunk a lot of hours into it and it's a blast.
>>
>>386921495
I too have sunk countless hours into DDA but I kind of lose interest once I realize you can't actually win the game. Surviving is pretty easy if that's your only objective, but beyond that you basically just make a super strong character and hopelessly try to destroy every zombie threat in an infinitely generated map. It just gets boring in the end-game.
>>
I have my stints of playing DCSS. Got my first win as a Demonspawn Fighter or something of the likes a couple of months ago.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.