[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

modern CRPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1361.png (3MB, 1288x3304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1361.png
3MB, 1288x3304px
This is objectively right
>>
File: 1489210314794.jpg (754KB, 1451x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1489210314794.jpg
754KB, 1451x2000px
>>386873561
>playing an outdated genre for nostalgianerds
>>
Great Tier:
Pillars of Eternity > Underrail > Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Good Tier:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong > Legend of Grimrock 2 > Legend of Grimrock

OK Tier:
Divinity: Original Sin > Wasteland 2

Shit Tier:
Torment: Tides of Numenera > Shadowrun Returns > Age of Decadence
>>
the fuck is a consolation price
>>
>>386873561

>ranking tyranny above torment

Christ nigger what are you doing. Torment was a great game in the spirit of PST.
>>
File: 3.png (332KB, 600x530px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
332KB, 600x530px
>>386873561
>Underrail great
>>
>>386875170
What's your problem with Underrail? I thought it was really good.
>>
Every time I've tried to play Pillars of Eternity, four times in total, I had to stop because of a game breaking glitch. Twice it was early in the game, twice it was really far in. I was enjoying myself and to this day I'm so fucking angry about it that I hesitate to play CRPGs.
>>
>>386873737
>PoE great
>D:OS ok

you have dreadful taste
>>
>>386875348
Well PoE is an actual RPG instead of a Hack n' Slash with too much talking for starters so of course its better
>>
>>386873561
>>386873737
>Hong Kong below Dragonfall
>>
>>386875486
Honestly that seems fair to me. The story was better and the cast more consistently interesting, plus it was more challenging.

Hong Kong had better music, better hacking, better combat, and was just bigger in general too but that ain't enough to give it the edge imo. Still really liked it though.
>>
>>386875348
Pillars of Eternity is extremely competent in all parameters.

Divinity: Original Sin has a great combat system and shit everything else.
>>
File: 1486395719575.png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1486395719575.png
102KB, 300x256px
>>386875481
>D:OS
>Hack n' Slash
>>
>>386875817
Its not an RPG, so what else would you call it?
>>
>>386875317
just does not have enough production value to be on the same league as Grimrock 2 or Divinity
>>
You have to be a really huge faggot to tolerate the """amusing""" writing in Divinity games
>>
So why was Planescape 2 bad exactly? It went completely under my radar.
>>
>>386875923
Irrelevant. It's still better than Divinity: Original Sin by all standards.
>>
>>386875741
playing through divinity for the first time and i couldn't agree more, the combat is cool but going through the towns and stuff kills my enjoyment so fast
>>
>>386875335
what glitch it was senpai?
also you are supposed to quicksave like a motherfucker playing any crpg
>>
Should i play underrail if I haven't played games of that genre before?
>>
>>386875931
>playing them for the story
I play them for the combat and co-op famalam, and you should too. They are to modern CRPGs what Borderlands was to FPS.

>>386875953
Legitimately boring characters/lore, combat that was a chore, and the second half of it was rushed because they ran out of money.
>>
Any tips for Underrail?
>>
>>386876184
>They are to modern CRPGs what Borderlands was to FPS
Yeah, you're making a perfect argument as to why they're Ok and not in league with actual good RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, Dragonfall, Underrail and Grimrock
>>
>>386875912
How is it not an RPG? Explain.
>>
Why would I want to play a cRPG that doesn't have character creation? That's what draws me to them.
>>
i'm playing wasteland 2 on ps4 right now, i think it's great

but it's also my first crpg in many years, so i might like a different recent one even more who knows. i like the tactical take on turn based combat, does any other game of those in the op have that?
>>
>>386876443
All of them but Pillars of Eternity and Grimrock
>>
I need more action oriented rpgs like the Ys games.
>>
>>386876303
I completely agree with you m8, I was just pointing out its dumb to get your knickers in a twist over it.

>>386876340
There's pretty much zero choice and consequences in it. Only two of the traits you pick in chargen ever allow you to alter the outcome of a situation (and its only once each), and the only dialogue options that change shit otherwise are semi-rare charisma checks that can be entirely circumvented with item boosts so you don't have to invest in it.

Its pretty much as bad at roleplaying as Fallout 4 was.
>>
>>386876443
the shadowrun games do, and i think the expedition ones do as well

really enjoyed the directors cut of w2
>>
Wasteland 2 is only considered "meh" by modern CRPG standards? I loved it up until you get to California, but then again, I don't really play these kinds of games.
>>
>>386876119
Twice it was the castle dungeon early on. One of them was that infamous glitch with that one doorway you get stuck in, the other I can't remember but it wasn't the door. I remember another was something with a sewer and a cult, I was a good 20ish hours in maybe? Maybe more. That one was heart breaking. I can't remember where the other was but it was a different area as well. The fact that there are so many game breaking glitches is baffling.

I save constantly in every game I play, I don't cycle saves either, I always just make a new one if that's an option. I would go back and try to avoid the glitches but they were constants and things blocking forward progression. Except the castle door thing I think, that might have been what caused me to start making saves like that actually.
>>
File: 1500054668069.gif (2MB, 288x377px) Image search: [Google]
1500054668069.gif
2MB, 288x377px
>>386875912
>d:os is not an rpg
>>
>>386876887
It's not an RPG if you can't roleplay.
>>
>>386876184
But the gimmicky combats become boring as fuck after 15 hour
>>
>>386876659
as if your choices mattter in Baldurs Gate, Pillars of Eternity or any other RPG

all games give you the illusion of choice, you go through act 1, 2 and 3 and then kill the final boss
>>
>>386877039
Nice edge, kiddo.

>>386876983
Personally I had a blast playing it for a full forty with a friend but ymmv I guess
>>
Any games in this style that have good multiplayer?
Looking for something for up to 4 players
>>
>>386876659

RPGs are about stats not C&C
>>
>>386877039
the only games that truly give you meaningful choices are grand strategy games and even then they mostly end the same way
>>
>>386873561
>Expedition Vikings posted instead of superior Conquistador

It was a letdown in every regard
>>
>>386877134
Divinity 2
>>
File: 1502463836739.jpg (48KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1502463836739.jpg
48KB, 680x680px
>>386876963
>played it earlier today
>roleplayed
>>
>>386877039
>b-but muh ending slides
>>
>>386877197
You really didn't.
>>
i'd like a game like this with a completely open map, the map in W2 is ok but the travelling between the regions is little more than a nuisance

i know it's supposed to add to the post apocalyptic atmosphere or whatever, but it's just not very fun
>>
>>386877186
the old one or original sin 2?
>>
>>386876851
that fucking sucks, I played super early after release and only got the immortal bear and not been able to talk with Durance after a certain point
>>
>>386877164
I guess he means like when you talk to an innkeeper you can say shit like

>"I'd like a cup of your finest wine, thank you my good bartender!"
or
>"Gimme a flagon of your cheapest beer and hurry up!"

Not really incredible immersion.
>>
>>386877380
OS 2
Iirc Baldur's gate and Icewind dale have multiplayer too
>>
>>386877397
>Only got two major glitches

It's a shame the game has to be talked about in that way. I was really enjoying it. There's a lot of balance issues and minor flaws thrown around but I was enjoying it a lot. Some of the party members are really interesting and well written, and the world is bleak but not off putting enough to cut down on immersion, an issue I usually have with these types of settings. I was really fucking enjoying my Druid character that got the furthest. I'll definitely never play the game again though.
>>
>>386877610
How long ago was it? Game had a lot of patches since release
>Druid character
Man druid are fun as fuck and pretty op, too bad their high level spells aren't too good
>>
>>386877873
The first 3 were right on release, then just a few months after release. The latest one wasn't very long ago because
>Well they must have fixed it by now
>>
>>386876126
Not really. Underrail is good if you've played through all the classics and want more. It does a many things better then the old games, but is just not as good. You'd be better off playing through original Fallouts first.
>>
File: 6567543.png (76KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
6567543.png
76KB, 429x410px
Uhm...what is a CRPG?
>>
>>386877467
And whatever you tell to bartender doesn't matter in the slightest. Alpha Protocol was cool because if you've managed to be smug enough trough the entire game as well as piss off Marburg enough you'd get a chance to kill him in Rome. Thus stopping him from appearing in the final level.
>>
>>386873561
Can anyone who's played them tell me what makes Pillars of Eternity, Torment and Wasteland 2 so bad? I haven't personally, but I'm interested in them.
>>
>>386878668
a computer role playing game
the term usually describes isometric RPGs such as those shown in the OP's image
>>
>>386879040
thanks
>>
>>386878794
Pillars is a new IP so there's lots of characters who dump lore on you in conversation and not everyone likes that, especially the people who find the setting bland/boring (it is a pretty tame introductory setting). Wasteland 2 is a better tactics game than it is an RPG but I still liked it.
>>
>>386878668
Haven't tried Torment but from what I've hear it's a dialogue/narration rich game made by people who aren't exactly expert writers.
PoA suffers from a bit meh combat system that makes most fights play out in the very similar manner, which combined with no XP for killed enemies makes fighting very tedious. From what I've hear that was somehow fixed in patches and expansion pack but I never tried it myself. Plot is nothing special, reincarnation gimmick wasn't well utilized in story-telling and most companions are extremely dry and boring.
Wasteland 2 is just meh all-around. Graphics are all-right, plot is serviceable, characters are just ok-ish, combat is fun, but nothing special. An all-around 6/10.
>>
>>386878794
>Pillars of Eternity
It's not bad. Its biggest fault is somehow boring main plot excluding White March expansion and kinda boring setting. Also some people whine that it's too balanced. Overall pretty good but I don't think it has any really memorable moments outside of the White March expansion.
>Torment
It has some really shitty combat system and the writing part isn't as interesting and you would want it to be.
>Wasteland 2
More of a combat game than talk and roleplay RPG but it's not bad. Its biggest problem is that assault rifles are just plainly overpowered compared to a whole ton of other choices like energy weapons for example.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.