[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, were either of these any good? Asking as someone who never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: pillars of torment.jpg (131KB, 998x304px) Image search: [Google]
pillars of torment.jpg
131KB, 998x304px
So, were either of these any good? Asking as someone who never actually played a proper cRPG, but who watched my dad play through Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate II, and Temple of Elemental Evil a lot as a kid.
>>
They are pale imitations of the superior originals.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453
>>
>>386847884
I enjoyed both, but you're right. Nobody's taking 1999's crown from it. Even the people who built that don't have the fire to do it anymore. It's a real shame.
>>
Pillars of Eternity is actually really good. The combat isn't quite as dry as the old DnD games, and the story itself is well-written, for a video game.

I haven't played Torment yet, but Brian Fargo is a fucking hack riding on his own name, so I don't have high hopes for it.
>>
>>386848024
>I don't have high hopes for it.

you will still be disappointed
>>
File: obsidian write good.jpg (458KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
obsidian write good.jpg
458KB, 1920x1080px
>>386848024
>well-written
>>
I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity much more on second playthrough. Pump up the difficulty to the highest and enjoy actually having to theorycraft the shit out of your build and party. Pro tip : ditch story NPCs or fix their stats in the game files.

Anyways if I was you, I'd start with Baldur's gate 1-2 for your first party based cRPG. If you are new new to the cRPG genre, fallout 1 and 2 might be better to start off. I find them much easier to get into than Baldur's Gate. Infinity engine games after all are based on D&D and you really need to read up on the rules before you get into the game.

I haven't played Torment Tides of Numenera yet. I doubt it's as good as Planescape Torment (do these games even have anything in common?)
>>
>>386848269
Those NPCs are backer NPCs.

I agree they shouldn't have let any retard with money put content into the game, but thankfully they have gold names, so you can avoid them all easily.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (47KB, 800x299px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
47KB, 800x299px
>>386849274
Obsidian still did all the writing.
>>
Pillars of Eternity is great
Torment is meh
>>
>>386849540
To be fair, he did make him sound like a psycho
>>
>>386847542
They're not nearly as good as any of the aforementioned RPGs in your OP.
>>
>>386847884
i see rpg codex fags don't much value gameplay in a videogame
>>
File: IMG_1361.png (3MB, 1288x3304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1361.png
3MB, 1288x3304px
have some objective opinion
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.