[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silent Hill 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14

File: Silent Hill 2 shot 26.jpg (39KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
Silent Hill 2 shot 26.jpg
39KB, 640x384px
I made the mistake of setting the action level to Hard since SH1 was so easy on Normal, how much fucking health do these cunts have? By my estimation I've sunk ~20 rifle shots and about 7 fucking Great Knife swings into them and they still won't kill themselves.
I've heard the fight ends automatically if you survive long enough but it'll go faster if you attack them, is that right?
>>
>>386834730
IIRC a bell will ring if you just run around and PH will walk away
>>
File: sh2 JamesKnees.gif (272KB, 245x138px) Image search: [Google]
sh2 JamesKnees.gif
272KB, 245x138px
>>386834730
>I've heard the fight ends automatically if you survive long enough but it'll go faster if you attack them, is that right?
Yes.
Without doing anything to them their "expiration time" is roughly 1 hour on Hard. No, I'm not shitting you.

I've done Hard only a couple times in past years, and both times I pretty much just ran past the two, trying to get them to smack each other's asses by accident.

>>386834896
That's a horn, and that's for the first PH fight.
>>
>>386834730
Why the fuck would you do that? These games are supposed to be walking simulators.
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>386834730
>Silent Hill thread
Neato! Time to re-re-re-re-post the SH PC Guide + the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
If SH3 runs like ass even on a good PC, check and lower its Rendering Resolution setting.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Never play below Normal.
-Replaying is recommended.
-Turn down in-game Brightness, up the volume.
-Don't try to kill everything, especially outdoors.
-Turning OFF the flashlight helps. A lot.
>>
>>386834896
The one on the staircase or whatever? Haven't done it in years.
>>
File: Silent.Hill.full.1177733.jpg (283KB, 820x500px) Image search: [Google]
Silent.Hill.full.1177733.jpg
283KB, 820x500px
>>386835182
I knew it was a risky decision since these games don't exactly have the most refined combat, but like I said what I played of SH1 was ridiculously generous on Normal so I figured it might make things more tense.
I also wasn't sure I was going to finish it anyway, but it's pretty short.
>>
>>386835896
>replying to a literal b8

Anyway; trust me, you did well.
SH2 is THE easiest game in the original quadrilogy, and it only becomes anywhat challenging on Hard mode - which practically is equivalent to SH1 and 3's "Normal". It's just the couple well known scenes that make the game bit more tedious on Hard, but then again - you signed up for it.

This your first time playing the game(s)? Would be interested of hearing what ending(s) you got and how'd you find the experience in general.
>>
>>386836161
>b8
It wasn't.

I see literally no reason to play a game like this on a higher combat difficulty than normal, hell I don't even see a problem with playing with easy combat difficulty.
>>
>>386836292
>I see literally no reason to play a game like this on a higher combat difficulty than normal
It sure as hell helps create that SURVIVAL-horror mood. You know, conserving ammo and health items...etc?

>hell I don't even see a problem with playing with easy combat difficulty.
I do. Not only for reasons above, but also because you may literally never die on Easy (or Beginner).
>>
>>386836525
But all it effectively does is make the already boring bossfights even more tedious, considering you can easily get through the entire game without firing a single bullet or taking a single swing outside of one. And it doesn't make it any "scarier" or anything either.

If you want to see the survival and resource management aspect done right, play Pathologic.
>>
>>386836665
>But all it effectively does is make the already boring bossfights even more tedious,
I've never considered them "boring" at any point. Sure, 2's bosses start to drag on, but they're never impossible.
It's also kinda counter intuitive to judge the merits and penalties by the bossfights alone, when you spend majority of the game outside of bossfights, dealing with normal enemies in various environments. Sure, after X dozen playthroughs, *I* can easily storm through the games without spending necessarily a single bullet, but that certainly isn't the way a typical first timer would even consider playing these games - nor would I recommend it.

>If you want to see the survival and resource management aspect done right, play Pathologic.
I already have, and I do not consider it to belong in the survival-horror genre at all. Apples and oranges.
>>
>>386836161
Really? The apartments on Hard gave me way more trouble than SH1's school and hospital on Normal, which is to say none.
I'm glad they changed the spawning system for this game so that you can't be too sure whether monsters will be waiting for you when you open a door to a room you previously cleared, it creates tension. There's probably a pattern to it but I can't figure it out, it seems any number of actions could cause monsters to spawn.

It's my first time playing, yeah, so I haven't got an ending but I'm hoping for Leave, since I'm a sentimental shitter and it makes me feel awful to see Laura realise James killed Mary after she was just starting to be nice to him, it'd be nice to see things set right.
I haven't found it terribly scary but it kept me coming back to see what happens next, whereas SH1 just seemed full of gormless twats barely willing to acknowledge something supernatural was going on. It didn't grab me at all. It used to scare the shit out of me when I was younger, before I even played it, I should've played the games back then.
>>
>>386837068
>but that certainly isn't the way a typical first timer would even consider playing these games - nor would I recommend it.
that's how I played, as I quickly realized the combat is a) not interesting, b) tedious and c) literally the sub-optimal way to play.

And the dread you feel when you get jumped by thugs in a plague district when all you have is a scalpel, two tourniquets and a couple alpha-tablets, meanwhile one of your adherents is dying and you are on the brink of starvation is more tense and horrifying than any situation that would ever arise in any so-called survival horror game.
>>
i destroyed these 2 niggas with only the great knife
you figure out how
unless youre a hardcore dumdum what cant figure out things for hisself
>>
File: sh1 giant fan.gif (2MB, 350x269px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 giant fan.gif
2MB, 350x269px
>>386837110
>Really? The apartments on Hard gave me way more trouble than SH1's school and hospital on Normal, which is to say none.
Yeah, really. Especially the two lower difficulties of SH2 (Beginner & Easy) make everything just pathetic :
Enemies move and react in literal slow-motion, your damage is upped, enemies' lowered, your weapons don't hit the surroundings but instead clip through them, you cannot slam into walls, less enemies in some areas, less re-spawning, and literal invincibility against everything but bosses on Beginner.
None of the enemies in SH2 can really keep up with you in the end.

>I haven't found it terribly scary but it kept me coming back to see what happens next
yeah, SH2 is often considered as the mildest one when it comes to pure horror. It's more of an atmospheric, sad love story of sorts, with tons of disturbing details.

>SH1 just seemed full of gormless twats barely willing to acknowledge something supernatural was going on. It didn't grab me at all.
A bit shame. After some 17 years, SH1 is still my absolutely favorite game in various ways. Definitely has the most impressive and varied town design, better pacing, more challenge and it's definitely more scary.
I find that people seldom truly grasp the true depth and nuances of the plot and cast these days.
>>
so those extreme difficulty modes in sh3, how hard do the monsters hit exactly in them?
>>
>>386837335
>that's how I played, as I quickly realized the combat is a) not interesting, b) tedious and c) literally the sub-optimal way to play.
I don't quite understand this modern trend of giving so much credit to the way a games' fighting works, to the point of using it to judge the entire game as a whole even.

Yes, combat is not the main attraction in the series, and it even kinda discourages it. However, I never found it any more "tedious" than in RE games, which were never tedious either. Exciting and scary, sure.

>And the dread you feel when you get jumped by thugs in a plague district when all you have is a scalpel, two tourniquets and a couple alpha-tablets, meanwhile one of your adherents is dying and you are on the brink of starvation is more tense and horrifying than any situation that would ever arise in any so-called survival horror game.
Opinions vary, and this just shows how you focus on totally different aspects of a game when judging its "scariness": you need literal, gameplay threats, while I and many others I've met have been more spooked by the freaky atmosphere of SH games alone. It's probably an immersion thing, helped by lively imagination, while your "version" is more of an achiever's nightmare kind of thing; "I'm so fucked up with this gear of mine, and death would set me back so much".

>>386837705
Hard.
Especially on later ones, you can expect 1-hit KOs without the body-armor and full HP, no matter what.
>>
File: 1502427532517.jpg (132KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1502427532517.jpg
132KB, 1280x1024px
>>386835212
I'm camping in a forest alone for the month and I play silent hill 1 at night in my tent on my huawei phone with a good old gamepad.
Sometime I need to stop and check outside with my flashlight and then go to /v/ wasting my 4g connection to keep the tension low.

And sometimes I hear noises in the bushes 10 feet away from my sleeping bag.
>>
What's the deal with that glass room with the weird lighting and wheelchair in Silent Hill 3? I think it's in the Hospital? What's the symbolism?
>>
>>386838024
1) it's a reference to a movie "Session 9". Looks familiar no?

2) If you know the history of Alessa / Cheryl, it should be pretty easy to interpret.
>>
>>386837921
>your "version" is more of an achiever's nightmare kind of thing; "I'm so fucked up with this gear of mine, and death would set me back so much".
Moreso the threat of the people I am supposed to protect dying, which would doom my entire mission as I am forced to proceed into the realm of disease with nothing but a kerchief and leather gloves to protect me.

And if it's about atmosphere for you, why emphasize the combat then? Running away conveys that feeling moreso I think. I also don't think it's fair to compare to RE as RE has superior encounter design and there are actual tactical and problem solving aspects to the combat (especially in RE2 and of course 4), which isn't really the case in SH.
>>
File: SH3 hospital nursepack.jpg (290KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
SH3 hospital nursepack.jpg
290KB, 2048x1536px
>>386838336
>And if it's about atmosphere for you, why emphasize the combat then?
Because enemy encounters are still part of the experience. While some of the literal "nothing happens" scenes have been the freakiest ones in the series, the fact that there IS something out to get you, often in non-scripted fashion as well, potentially capable of butchering you and setting you back X amount of time, does add to the atmosphere.

>I also don't think it's fair to compare to RE as RE has superior encounter design and there are actual tactical and problem solving aspects to the combat
I'm not seeing this at all. Sounds to me almost as silly as some earlier claims of RE having "superior gameplay and combat" compared to SHs.
Especially in RE1 / Remake, choosing your targets to kill can be crucial for survival, and even in RE2 it's easy to run past quite a chunk of enemy encounters (besides those 1 or 2 zombie spam corridors you just shotgun through). RE3 on the other hand shuffles the deck nicely with its randomizer elements, but overall it's perhaps the easiest one to "run through" - especially if you master the quite OP dodge-move that all speedrunners exploit.

The only thing the first 2 SH games "lag behind" of RE games is the overall numbers of enemies coming at you at once, and the number of different enemy types in those packs. SH3 does however crank up the game even in this sense, resulting some truly chaotic encounters at worst. Not to mention SH4, where every Ghost is practically a mini-Nemesis of its own.
>>
>>386837943

sounds cozy
>>
File: Misty Day - PH painting.jpg (2MB, 1772x1359px) Image search: [Google]
Misty Day - PH painting.jpg
2MB, 1772x1359px
SH2 doesn't really get even remotely challenging before Hard mode tho'. It's one reason it's usually THE gateway game to horror genre for all the chickens out there.
>>
>>386841348
>still sucking at spoilers
CTRL+S, mate.

But yeah, that's practically what's happening. But alas, some people do want to white wash it and be like "James needed to let go and enjoy his life!"
>>
I beat this a while ago, I got the leave ending, which I guess is supposed to be the good ending, but am I right in thinking James is just forgiving and absolving himself of his murdering his wife?

>>386841427
Whats the canon ending anyway?
>>
File: Guy Cihi on SH2's in water end.png (47KB, 570x700px) Image search: [Google]
Guy Cihi on SH2's in water end.png
47KB, 570x700px
>>386841563
>Whats the canon ending anyway?
Depends who you ask.
The devs and James' VA's favorite one (which also fits the game's themes) is the In The Water.

SH2 and 3 also kinda point towards it (the "missing persons case").
>>
File: sh4 - sunderland 's photo.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sh4 - sunderland 's photo.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>>386841706
>*SH3 and 4 also kinda point towards it (the "missing persons case").
FTFM
>>
>>386834730
>playing Silent Hill for the combat

you're the reason SH is dead
>>
>>386834730

I don't know the details. I know that they ate up all my god damn ammo for Rifle and shotty and I had to beat the final boss with my pistol.

I think it's timed? maybe? I ran around for like 30 minutes and they suicided.
>>
>>386842114

Are you retarded? Serious question.
>>
>>386840659
It's not when you're in a place alone where no one can hear you and savage animals start roaming the zone to fuck with you at 2 in the morning.

I also did the same thing in some abandoned apartment building used 7 years ago for students. I had to climb because the first floor was condemned, there was furniture, empty syringes, trash and other stuff like trash all over the place. The first floor was pitch black and I never find the courage to explore it.
It looked like a more bland version of the sh2 apartments.
It was too damn fucking spooky.
>>
>>386842145
Like already confirmed ITT alone, that is the case. And it's not the only such case in the series, or even in the game.
>>
>>386837705
Harder modes are designed to use the sexy beam shoota, don't bother with them.
>>
>>386841706
Reading that about Shin-jyu reminded me of the scene in Downfall when Goebbels kills his family. Germans and Japanese really must have been linked in a special way.
>>
File: 1253259298730.jpg (25KB, 312x366px) Image search: [Google]
1253259298730.jpg
25KB, 312x366px
>All these daily SH threads in the past couple months
Are we living some new boom of classic goldenage horror again? Not that I'd be complaining.

My personal ratings for the series:
1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > SM > > > dog shit > the rest.
>>
File: SH3 douglas smile.jpg (164KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SH3 douglas smile.jpg
164KB, 1024x768px
>>386842807
>not just using the Unlimited SMG
>>
File: sh2 hospital shotgun - 1080p pc.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sh2 hospital shotgun - 1080p pc.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>386834730
>By my estimation I've sunk ~20 rifle shots and about 7 fucking Great Knife
That's literally nothing, though I wouldn't use the rifle against them. Shotgun has much bigger chance of inflicting hits on both at the same time.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.