[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Decades of video game graphics, audio, and overall technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: what.png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
102KB, 300x256px
>Decades of video game graphics, audio, and overall technology upgrades
>80% of modern "indie" circle jerks have 16 bit artwork, chip tune OSTs, and CRT filters
Why, /v/?
>>
Because most indie developers don't have the multi-billion dollar budgets to make photorealistic graphics, hire an orchestra for the soundtrack and use top of the line custom game engines with all the bells and whistles
>>
File: dosh to posh.png (157KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
dosh to posh.png
157KB, 500x375px
Market-demographic appeal.
Also defined as dosh.
>>
>>386832231
>80% of modern "indie" circle jerks have 16 bit artwork, chip tune OSTs, and CRT filters
cite your sources redditor
>>
>>386832289
There are free and $100 licensed AAA game engines. Look at the Spelunky remake, it has fresh and smooth graphics while retaining the classic sidescroller look.
>>
>>386832378
Look at literally any PAX and you will see plenty of games that fit at least one of those criteria.
>>
>>386832231
Laziness, budget, "retro" style is what's bringing in all the money
what pisses me off the most is that devs can't be bothered to set a low resolution to upscale so they get diagonal pixels
>>
File: DGbobtCXsAEAWQO.jpg (16KB, 260x256px) Image search: [Google]
DGbobtCXsAEAWQO.jpg
16KB, 260x256px
>>386833185
Forgot image
>>
Modern grafics require more and more dosh and effort with diminishing returns, why even bother
>>
>>386832231
>16 bit artwork, chip tune OSTs, and CRT filters
You don't know what any of these mean fagget
>>
Barrier of entry to making indie games is small, since anybody can make them. Just like you can's expect games with publisher backing to all be of equal quality, indie scene is no different.
Making a 2D sprite-based game is much easier than something more detailed. And 90% of time these people are making games on their spare time, with other things taking majority of their focus.
If somebody was skilled enough in something to match big-budget productions, they wouldn't be indie developer. And if they still are despite being skilled enough to match surpass somebody on AAA team, they have made concious choice to stay as indie.
>>386832456
Spelunky was made by experienced indie team, who even before Aquaria had spent several years making smaller games. It's not really fair comparison.
I do admit that established developers have no excuse not to put more effort into their work, but sometimes the less detailed style is part of the appeal, such as with Kero Blaster.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.