[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it fun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: header[1].jpg (38KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
38KB, 460x215px
is it fun?
>>
>>386811997

Skip to Dragonfall and then to Hong Kong.

Both are excellent games within the constraints of the engine. You get less karma but more money in Dragonfall and less money but more karma in HK.
>>
I enjoyed it for a short period, and I'm sure there must be great modules for it, but I found the included stories to be boring with very VERY poorly designed encounters.
>>
>get like 1/3 of the way through the game
>sudden desire to try a different build kicks in
>make new character
>get 1/3 of the way through the game

altitis is a horrible condition
>>
Fuck I remember playing some ShadowRun MP only demo in early 360 days(like OF Crackdown time) and it was TOO Fucking fun. Whatever happened with this franchise? Is it just not a console thing? It's based in a board game, yeah? Or am I losing my damn mind
>>
>>386812349

yeah, it's a pen & paper game like DnD
>>
>>386811997
It's P good.
>>
>>386812349
>Whatever happened with this franchise?
Company who owned it went bust a couple of months after the 2007 game was released.
>>
>>386813126
Damn that sucks. Preciate the info.
>>386812470
You too.
>>
Shadowrun Returns is mostly a proof-of-concept. Just skip to either of the sequels, they're both much better in terms of story and gameplay.
>>
>>386813126
Microsoft owns the Shadowrun IP, it went back into their game never to be seen again like most of their other IP. HBS had to license it to make the Shadowrun Returns games.
>>
>>386811997
It's pretty fun but I feel it's too linear. Haven't played Dragonfall or Hongkong.
>>
Hong Kong or Dragonfall?

I'm in the mood to try one of them since they're both leagues better than vanilla

and vanilla isn't letting me save for some reason
>>
I liked all 3 games, Returns was ok, the other two I really enjoyed a lot more as they had more actual gameplay and features, not to mention a longer campaign.

Hong Kong was the best, it has the longest story and the most content
>>
>>386811997
I've been attracted to that Universe since the snes game, but all the games seem lacking. Watching some people play this one let me down too. The dialouge options all seem to do the same thing and have no effect on the outcome or relations with the npcs. For a game with so much story driven gameplay, it really lacks in the diversity of outcomes.
>>
>>386813537
Ah. I was having trouble figuring out who owned the IP currently as all the companies who have played hot-potato with it seem to have gone under and there's conflicting information about who owns what exactly.
>>
>>386813537
>one of the megacorps owns it

Ya, I think you know why it isn't getting better games.
>>
If we talking about Returns, no it's not

But Dragonfall and Hong Kong are much better
>>
>>386814271
Have you ever tried the actual tabletop version?
>>
File: julvsbaka.gif (2MB, 450x252px) Image search: [Google]
julvsbaka.gif
2MB, 450x252px
>>386811997

Is there any hope for a new Shadowrun game? HBS was making a mech rpg instead, whatever happened to that?
>>
>>386814703
No. Tabletop versions tend to need more than one person...besides, /v/ not /tg/
>>
>>386811997
Returns doesn't have enough in it to stimulate interest in the setting. I came in on Dragonfall and made the mistake of regressing to Returns. There's no reason to. Begin with Dragonfall and then fall straight into Hong Kong. Likable characters, likable writing, likable setting. Everything just fucking works.
>>
>>386814787
So how much of the universe is copyrighted? Could a person make a cyberpunk w/ magic game and also include the concept of mega corps? Or is that part of the Shadowrun universe copyright?
>>
>>386814271
Returns was basically a test run for Dragonfall and Hong Kong. Those two are miles better, but Returns is a good starting point nontheles.
>>
>>386811997
Returns is alright but the real fun is in the expansions

It's like comparing BG1 to BG2 and Throne of Baal
>>
File: 1489541920836.jpg (38KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489541920836.jpg
38KB, 657x527px
>>386814957
Copyright law is nearly incomprehensible. Think about how many fantasy games with settings and features like DnD. You could probably get something really close to Shadowrun, but with slight variations.
>>
>>386811997
its linear as fuck
>>
>>386811997
It is. Pretty bare considering that Hong Kong and Dragonfall exists. But I can admit that at the time, it was freaking amazing to have a new Shadowrun game. And the modding community was awesome too.
>>
>>386814076
Hong Kong. I haven't played it but I didn't like any of the characters in Dragonfall and you get stuck with them instead being able to hire freelancers like in Returns.
>>
File: shadowrun.jpg (232KB, 1100x1136px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun.jpg
232KB, 1100x1136px
>>386814787
shadowrun sales went down game after game. they probably want to let it cool for a few years before they make new ones.
>>
>>386814787
Battletech is still in like backers only beta. Afaik it's about the normal amount behind schedule.
>>
>>386815846
Shit, no wonder. They can always announce another Shadowrun, place it on Kickstarter and get the full amount in, like, a week's time. Maybe less. Didn't Hong Kong wind up getting all of it's funding in like a 24 hour time period or something? HBS is putting their gears to other works which is neat because it means that Shadowrun won't be continually tapped into as the only thing holding the company afloat. As it stands it's a competent RPG that gets alot right. Length, narrative, setting, dialogue, characters, gameplay--the works. I'd prefer for HBS to take their time to really mold these games.

Hell, maybe the longer they put off the more content the next game will have.
>>
tablet garbage
people will lie and say the sequels are better but thats just because they have more waifus. Theyre still the same bare bones dumbed down shit
>>
>>386814076
Dragonfall was more cozy and I prefer a european setting but the companions were meh. Hong Kong has the Russian Psychopath Transhumanist and the Japanese Samurai Ghoul and it's miles above when it comes to companions just because of those two. On the other hand all the other companions are boring/annoying as fuck.

I just wish they made the vampire asian chick a companion too, would make for some really interesting banter and interactions.
>>
Those games are great other than combat. Devs really need to stop with this X-com RNG bullshit combat.
>>
>>386816672
That asian chick was a nice little--what the fuck do you call it? Easter egg? Fuck it, whatever it was it was nice. She shows up, you do some shit, then suddenly you find she's not shit in combat and that bleed damage is no joke. Then she fucks off for the rest of the game. I always wish I could see some of these characters again but keeping them all separated by several hundred miles works for me, too.

>Russkie and Weeb Ghoul
Those two were top-fucking-tier. I liked the Chinese ork and your brother but Isobel fucking takes a minute to warm up to. Her autism and demeanor gets explained but I find it a little too easy to just go "fuck her" and slot her out for someone more interesting.
>>
>come into the game expecting waifus because of the current state of gaming
>don't get any of that shit
>just a game that tells it's story well
>refreshing as fuck, wasn't expecting it
>does so AGAIN with Hong Kong
>still sitting here wanting a romance option

Returns was kinda shit. I don't know why people want to fucking go back to Seattle. I'm in no hurry to go back and fight stupid fucking ghosts or stupid bugs.
>>
>>386816990
Tbh the vampire chick had more character than Duncan in the two small conversation you have with her. I really liked how she presents herself as the "mistress of the night, bow down filthy mortal" and then when you beat her up she says she was just pretending and has no idea what she's doing. Also you can get Gaichu to train her if he's in the party, and she joins you when you assault the walled city for a part of the mission.

Chinese Orc was alright, but didn't really get the "can't wait to talk to her after the mission" at all. The nigglet dwarf was trash though, but I was forced to bring her on missions because she's the only decker.
>>
>>386817601
>Also you can get Gaichu to train her if he's in the party, and she joins you when you assault the walled city for a part of the mission.

Gaichu was permanently slotted in every team composition from the moment I got him. He was, strangely, a breath of fresh air. He was just so fucking not what I was expecting and it's a genuine treat that he isn't a shit character. What a surprise that chinese vampire was. God. I love fun shit like that.

>Chinese Orc was alright, but didn't really get the "can't wait to talk to her after the mission" at all
Oh, yeah, none of the characters saved for Russkie Robofucker and Gaichu really did that for me either. Ratorc had an interesting tale or two but mostly it felt like she was there for "LMAO EATS ANYTHING". And Isobel felt like garbage but she unfucked herself during her episode in the convention. That was pretty funny. Everything about her being that point though I could do without. And copbro is just copbro. I liked him well enough but, as you said, I wasn't pining for his conversation tree after each mission.
>>
It's comfy. At the very least, none of them are objectively bad. I prefer Dragonfall, but that's just me

Shitposters leave this game alone so there's always good discussion whenever someone brings it up
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.